Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

More Android on the BeagleBone Black! This is a 4" 480x272 LCD touchscreen that I've now got working with my Android port:

... and this is a 3" 320x240 LCD touchscreen now working with the same:

The 3", 4", and 7" LCD cape boards are now all supported under my Android port, thanks to CircuitCo sending me some engineering sample displays.

It also wouldn't be an update without some fan mail:

quote:

Hi hendersaI use your rom android 4.2.2.
Show display to LCD ok with mod extenral power for cable.
And now I use serial with source
https://code.google.com/p/android-serialport-api/ [code.google.com]
But it error thit message "You do not haveread/write permission to the serial port."
Someone say "need to root device"
I would like to ask you.
1. was rom rooted?
2. how to root beaglebone black?
Expect for you reply.
Thanks for help me..

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Orzo posted:

Oh shoot, you're right. Well, it's literally a one-line fix; the 'paste' function (there are several defined, depending on the type of copy you did) optionally returns a new 'selection'--for example, the original selection, or a selection of the things you just created (which is what you're suggesting).

Awesome, keeping the selection of the things you just created is what I meant, just saves you re-selecting, but over time it'll be worth it I'm sure.

As for the floating rotation, you have layer support, make pasting go into a temporary layer, so you can do your rotations on arbitrary rectangles, and then once the selection is removed it 'stamps' back into the original layer.

Imagine all the time you will save mirroring long hallways!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I think this is like 10k cubes or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdf8tqBO8s

I was pretty proud.

I'm getting a strong Tranquility vibe from this. I wonder what the game would be like if it was made today.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

lord funk posted:

I'm getting a strong Tranquility vibe from this. I wonder what the game would be like if it was made today.

I love the "alternatives to" section of that link about Tranquility. "Here's this Euphoria-inducing game, it'll make you happy. Alternatively, you could play GTA, COD4 or The Walking Dead"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've been working on my League of Legends replay parser and downloader and scoreboard crap.

bootstrap :effort:

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Biowarfare posted:

I've been working on my League of Legends replay parser and downloader and scoreboard crap.

Is that straight bootstrap? It looks a lot nicer than most bootstrap sites do.

Contract Otter
May 31, 2007

Don Mega posted:

I recently became interested in developing emulators and decided to made a CHIP-8 emulator over the past 1.5 weeks. It is playable at http://zcr1.github.io/chip8/

How do you do, CHIP-8 buddy! Though mine still crashes occasionally when trying to move objects ie. the pong paddle over the display border.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Contract Otter posted:

How do you do, CHIP-8 buddy! Though mine still crashes occasionally when trying to move objects ie. the pong paddle over the display border.
Have you tried running some test roms to narrow down the cause of the issue? This is how I found the last of my bugs.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

What language are you writing it in? How far along are you? I have some LoL stuff on the back-burner myself. Care to collaborate?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What language are you writing it in? How far along are you? I have some LoL stuff on the back-burner myself. Care to collaborate?

A terrifying mix of scala with one giant main because I don't know any better, php, and a crapload of nodejs/socketio.
I have the entire replay saving/replaying/etc done months ago, just don't have a good UI right now. I have the scoreboard for general use kinda? done though.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

A terrifying mix of scala with one giant main because I don't know any better, php, and a crapload of nodejs/socketio.
I have the entire replay saving/replaying/etc done months ago, just don't have a good UI right now. I have the scoreboard for general use kinda? done though.

Would you mind if I linked this to Jack Etienne?

E: further discussion over PM would be polite I guess

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Working on a "business" website which is going to be a banner with the business name, services, a few links to projects and github and contact. The rest of it will be what is effectively ski free but with a kayak:

phase 1, fun times.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Had a little fun this weekend. My artist is tied up for a little bit so this looks goofy as hell without new animations. But here's a video of picking poo poo up and throwing it in Super Obelisk! Also enjoy the LTTP-ripped sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcItUDTcZc&hd=1

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

BeagleSNES looks good on your big HDMI TV, but I've been working on getting it working on smaller screens:

This thing might actually end up being portable before too long...

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Orzo posted:

Had a little fun this weekend. My artist is tied up for a little bit so this looks goofy as hell without new animations. But here's a video of picking poo poo up and throwing it in Super Obelisk! Also enjoy the LTTP-ripped sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcItUDTcZc&hd=1

What are you going to be using for music and sound effects in the completed game? Is the audio going to be chiptuney, do you have a musician, etc.?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

No, no chiptunes. I'm going to hire a musician. I don't know poo poo about sound effects though, I don't really have a plan there yet.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

hendersa posted:

BeagleSNES looks good on your big HDMI TV, but I've been working on getting it working on smaller screens:

This thing might actually end up being portable before too long...

You might want to invest your time into the OUYA. I'm sure someone will care enough to hire you for whatever project.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Grawl posted:

You might want to invest your time into the OUYA. I'm sure someone will care enough to hire you for whatever project.
Please don't. Ouya is a bad device whose engineers aren't what I would call the best. Skip it - and keep doing awesome stuff!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Please don't. Ouya is a bad device whose engineers aren't what I would call the best. Skip it - and keep doing awesome stuff!

Isn't that exactly the reason to actually involve yourself in it?

I'm getting this thing next week, and it's wishful thinking. I'd really like to see it move forward (for both parties).

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Grawl posted:

I'm getting this thing next week, and it's wishful thinking. I'd really like to see it move forward (for both parties).

You made a bad purchasing decision, please don't encourage anyone else to make the same mistake.

What are you even asking him to do? There are a pile of emulators for the thing.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Grawl posted:

it is not worth investing time in the OUYA. Those are "failed mobile game" numbers (despite featuring), and with no hope of it picking up.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Grawl posted:

For god's sake, this is a company that makes live changes to their API that cost people real money because it is structurally incapable of differentiating between release and test software.

There is no improving it, there is only burning it.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Spent the weekend learning all kinds of new stuff, and wrote a plugin for the Source engine that streams ingame events to a web server, which publishes them via websockets.

http://www.twowordbird.com/

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Awww... so much hate for the poor OUYA. I haven't kept up with its development, but judging from the general consensus on it, I suppose its better that I never really paid it much mind.

As for some actual content, I recorded some footage of BeagleSNES running on the LCD3 cape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md1eBUL_Nbs

I've looked at some other LCDs that are a bit cheaper than this cape, but it would take some framebuffer driver development in the Linux 3.8 kernel tree to get them up and running. These "portable" device efforts of mine use BeagleSNES for testing, but ultimately they'll be applied towards developing an Android smartphone reference platform that I'll be able to use in my research.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
:toot:

I'll be working on this next month!

Code Club: A worldwide network of coding clubs for children aged 9–11

http://www.codeclub.org.uk/ and http://www.codeclubworld.org

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Screenshot furthest-day-from-saturday: I'm starting to get final assets from art-side, which means Hot Tin Roof is starting to look like it's always looked in my head. Pretty dang cool. Note that the furniture there is painted-in by Folmer, just to get a sense for how the final environments will look.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tef posted:

:toot:

I'll be working on this next month!

Code Club: A worldwide network of coding clubs for children aged 9–11

http://www.codeclub.org.uk/ and http://www.codeclubworld.org

Oh, man, this is awesome!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

A really quick video showing how I added the ability to combine behaviors on entities in Super Obelisk. So here, you can see I've added both a 'light' behavior and a 'throwable' behavior to a single entity (the torches at the bottom).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpjv7wMXylo&hd=1

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Orzo posted:

A really quick video showing how I added the ability to combine behaviors on entities in Super Obelisk. So here, you can see I've added both a 'light' behavior and a 'throwable' behavior to a single entity (the torches at the bottom).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpjv7wMXylo&hd=1

Nice. Checked out your blog, which is incredibly interesting.
What are your plans for when the game has matured?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Sell it somehow. I recently put the effort in to convert from DirectX to OpenGL, so hopefully that should increase portability options. This type of game is really meant to be played with a controller, so it would be amazing if I could somehow get it on consoles. I'm glad you find the blog interesting--ever since I started talking in the youtube videos, longer posts have felt sort of unnecessary, so I don't know what the future of the blog is.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
I starting making Yet Another C++ GUI Toolkit That Only Has A Win32 Backend And Will Probably Never Have Anything Else (tm), and it's going okay:

Example's source:
code:
#include <arch/Signal.hpp>
#include <Window.hpp>
#include <Button.hpp>
#include <ShowMessageBox.hpp>

int main (int argc, char** argv)
{
	gooey::Window win({500, 400});

gooey::Button button1(win, {5,5}, {120, 25});
	gooey::Button button2(win, {32,128}, {140, 25});

win.setCaption("Hello World - Testing window");
	button1.setText("Hello World");
	button2.setText("Compute meaning of life");

button1.onClicked.connect([&]()
	{
		gooey::ShowMessageBox(win, "How do you do?", "Greeting");
	});

button2.onClicked.connect([&]()
	{
		gooey::ShowMessageBox(win, "42", "The Answer");
	});

while(win.running())
		win.tick();
}

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm also screwing around with a Beaglebone black.

Babby's first kernel driver:
code:
root@arm:/home/wes# rmmod st7565.ko && make && insmod st7565.ko
... lots of warnings ...
root@arm:/home/wes# echo "hello from linux" > /dev/st7565

It's kinda cool, not as good as what a lot of you guys are doing, but I'm learning a hell of a lot.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It's kinda cool, not as good as what a lot of you guys are doing, but I'm learning a hell of a lot.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret... your baby steps display more initiative than what I usually see from my graduate students. They'll compile kernels and write small programs by following a list of steps because they HAVE to, but I haven't really seen any that decide they want to try something for kicks and then actually invest the time to go do it. You know... learning for the sake of personal experimentation and playing around. You're taking something available out there, tinkering with it, and learning various aspects and little pieces that will eventually all pop together to form a thorough understanding of the system. It's a good first step, and I look forward to seeing what you'll do with it in the future. Take lots of pictures for us!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Oh I actually wrote the driver :v: in case that wasn't clear. I would not post just compiling a driver. But thank you none the less :)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Oh I actually wrote the driver :v: in case that wasn't clear. I would not post just compiling a driver. But thank you none the less :)
Well, in that case, you're definitely ahead of the pack. Rock on, my good goon. :golfclap:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Well, I can finally easily compose on my Xylophone playing robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdsUyoQw_Ho&hd=1

I just need to optimize a few parameters. I'm also waiting on an engineer who is making new hands for me. They should hit the bars in a more natural way, which will dramatically improve the sound. Enjoy!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Very cool, please keep us posted

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sir Davey posted:

I just need to optimize a few parameters. I'm also waiting on an engineer who is making new hands for me. They should hit the bars in a more natural way, which will dramatically improve the sound. Enjoy!

Very cool.

How fast can it go? Can it play "through the fire and flames" yet? :D

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sir Davey posted:

Way awesome!! It's always so fun to program something that makes something move in real life, rather than just pixels on the screen. Now all you need is a head with some googly eyes on it and a giant spring for a neck, so he (she?) just carelessly wobbles about while serenading us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

A few things that I ordered came in the mail today, so I started doing more experimentation with making BeagleSNES and Android on the BBB a bit more portable.

Since I only have one USB host port to work with, I ordered a small 4-port USB hub to dismantle and use to supply more USB ports for gamepads, USB audio, USB wifi, etc. The hub I picked (an IOGear GUH285W6) is very small and only about $7. The USB audio, a cheap, no-name USB device that cost less than $4, is very small when its case is removed, and will be even smaller when I unsolder its USB connector and run wires direct from the hub to the sound card:

The audio device is handled via the generic USB sound device driver in the 3.8 kernel, and ALSA enumerated a device for it without any problem. I noticed some crackling when playing audio in the emulator (but not in the GUI front-end menu), so I suspect that the main volume needs to be lowered to avoid clipping.

I should be able to unsolder a few of the USB connectors on the hub and actually fit it between the LCD cape board and on top of the BBB. I can stack the two USB connectors for the gamepads next to the original single host USB port, and the headset and mic jacks from the audio board will nicely fit into the gap between the P8 connector and the LCD cape board on the end of the BBB that has the ethernet port.