Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I am inordinately upset that, rather than encouraging creativity and being set in an entirely unique world made of legos, the Lego movie seems to an unending parade of IPs that have Lego kits made out of them. So it's just one giant toy commercial and series of plugs; be sure to buy thew new Lego Batman kits, in stores holiday season 2013! And the new Justice League Lego kits!

Is there a way to make a lego movie without it being a giant toy commercial? Even if you remove the IPs, its still a lego movie.

Also we get a goofy Batman because of this. The world needs more goofy Batmans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I am inordinately upset that, rather than encouraging creativity and being set in an entirely unique world made of legos, the Lego movie seems to an unending parade of IPs that have Lego kits made out of them. So it's just one giant toy commercial and series of plugs; be sure to buy thew new Lego Batman kits, in stores holiday season 2013! And the new Justice League Lego kits!

That's just the way Lego is these days. While there are a ton of people making original works out there, from a sales point of view, Lego isn't really about "generic" sets of Lego anymore. For better or worse, licensing is their game. With it being such a big component of the companies products, it would be a bit weird, from a childs point of view, to see a Lego movie that featured none of the licenses they were so familiar with.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Would you like a Subway with your iHop? (whatever the gently caress, that is)

In case you're being sarcastic (I hope you are):

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lance Streetman posted:

In case you're being sarcastic (I hope you are):

Half sarcastic, I'm not from the USofA. It's some sort of clothing store?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's a chain of restaurants. The name stands for "International House of Pancakes."

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ok, that was sarcasm. I'll stop now.

It's 1:30 in the morning, my sarcasm detector went to sleep long ago.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 17, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lance Streetman posted:

It's a chain of restaurants. The name stands for "International House of Pancakes."

Ok, that was sarcasm. I'll stop now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's the International House of Pancakes, good sir.

It is INTERNATIONAL.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gonz posted:

That's the International House of Pancakes, good sir.

It is INTERNATIONAL.

Well, we don't have one. :colbert:

Man of Steel is making me want things I can't have! :argh:

(mostly I just want those 2+ hours back)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 17, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: Hahaha, holy poo poo I only just got the irony of complaining that IP licenses make the LEGO MOVIE a giant toy advertisement.
I don't see a problem with advertising Lego though, it's the best toy for kids. It doesn't push any values on children and encourages creativity.

Of course it's been sliding down a slippery slope of telling children how to play with toys for a long time but it's better than buying kids videogames.

edit: I guess you could buy your kids Minecraft.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

casa de mi padre posted:

I don't see a problem with advertising Lego though, it's the best toy for kids.

I agree.

As for the rest of the post, well... Maybe best to take it to the Lego thread.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

What's sad is that the Battleship movie kinda loving rocks in all the worst ways. The battleship pegs as the alien weapons, the boat drift, the use of AC/DC, a real-life cyborg soldier beating the poo poo out of an alien... there's a certain sense of positivity to it that I just can't knock.

FTFY, because if you aren't RARHing at the screen when that happens, I don't know what unfeeling, un-American person you are. I was actually tearing up when that happened.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well, we don't have one. :colbert:

Man of Steel is making me want things I can't have! :argh:

(mostly I just want those 2+ hours back)

Someone I talked to about Man of Steel (Yoshifan I think) made a good point that there shouldn't be any breaking of verisimilitude about the product placement because, really, haven't we all had a room-clearing brawl in an IHOP at some point in our lives?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hewlett posted:

Someone I talked to about Man of Steel (Yoshifan I think) made a good point that there shouldn't be any breaking of verisimilitude about the product placement because, really, haven't we all had a room-clearing brawl in an IHOP at some point in our lives?

Honestly, the product placement was the least of that film's problems - and somewhat appropriate considering his "and The American Way" catch phrase.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Honestly, the product placement was the least of that film's problems - and somewhat appropriate considering his "and The American Way" catch phrase.

I agree the movie had way worse problems, but it still made that fight worse when you notice that shots were framed specifically to incorporate the Sears or 7-11 logo taking up 1/4 of the screen. It's horribly distracting and makes the movie feel cheap to me.

Anyway, here's a poster for a movie I am really looking forward to. I really like it, it's simple and classy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ez posted:

I agree the movie had way worse problems, but it still made that fight worse when you notice that shots were framed specifically to incorporate the Sears or 7-11 logo taking up 1/4 of the screen. It's horribly distracting and makes the movie feel cheap to me.

It takes a lot of money to make a film look that cheap.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Lizard Combatant posted:

It takes a lot of money to make a film look that cheap.

Ironic isn't it?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Ez posted:

Anyway, here's a poster for a movie I am really looking forward to. I really like it, it's simple and classy.

This kind of reminds me of the poster for 42. Probably the white background plus action pose, plus number in the title. But drat, that cast... Looking forward to that now.

And the Lego movie looks loving awesome.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Fassbender and McQueen is a good match. I really liked Shame. I had a lot of problems with it but I still really liked it.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Vagabundo posted:

Justin Bieber was the worst part of Alice in Wonderland.

Also, a couple of posters.

The Comic-Con teaser for the upcoming Lego movie

This isn't getting enough love, it's such a good send up of all those other "dramatic back to viewer" posters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Fassbender and McQueen is a good match. I really liked Shame. I had a lot of problems with it but I still really liked it.

Have you seen Hunger? It's incredible. Shame is very good but Hunger is a step above for me. Really looking forward to 12 Years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ez posted:

That movie has a hell of a cast.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A new Steve McQueen movie with a cast like that? :stare: Sign me the gently caress up!

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
New poster for You're Next

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Slasherfan posted:

It would suck living in a house like that.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Slasherfan posted:

I'm getting a heavy "Metal Gear Solid" vibe from this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cacator posted:

It would suck living in a house like that.

You play hide and seek with your kids, a week later find them from the smell .

casa de mi padre posted:

I don't see a problem with advertising Lego though, it's the best toy for kids. It doesn't push any values on children and encourages creativity.

Of course it's been sliding down a slippery slope of telling children how to play with toys for a long time but it's better than buying kids videogames.

edit: I guess you could buy your kids Minecraft.

While I do think it's a great toy for kids, *cough cough*

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Slasherfan posted:

You rarely see people on plan drawings, and especially not silhouettes meant for sections. If the poster can't respect the proper way to do things, then I can't respect it! :colbert:

(I would love to see a movie with a house that had such a nonsensical room layout, played completely straight. It's the perfect power fantasy for architects who suffer under the yoke of reason when designing building.)

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
You know, if I could have a house so big that it has a goddamn sewing room, I would put up with it being a labyrinthine wolf face.

Also, I love that one room is about five feet by five feet and just has a chair facing the wall.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThatPazuzu posted:

Also, I love that one room is about five feet by five feet and just has a chair facing the wall.
What about those two chairs in one of the eyes, whose only purpose seems to be for two people to be able to guard the access to a shelf in comfort? I can at least see the purpose of creating an enclosed space to read books in, in a library, but that two-chair-room is really weird.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ThatPazuzu posted:

You know, if I could have a house so big that it has a goddamn sewing room, I would put up with it being a labyrinthine wolf face.

I like how the cloak room is as far away from the entrance of the house as possible. And the master bedroom has two toilets!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ThatPazuzu posted:

That's the blowjob room.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No self-respecting man with that kind of money for that kind of house would have that kind of garage.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Skwirl posted:

While I do think it's a great toy for kids, *cough cough*

They get poo poo for that but to be fair, there's also a set with a robotics lab and another one with the extremely girlish hobby of flying aeroplanes.

That You're Next poster almost looks like something from Hotline Miami. Its a pretty nice poster and sure it isn't any kind of logical house but using the visuals of a plan drawing for a horror film set in a house is a cool idea. And it also tells me what the film is going to be about, unless the film isn't gonna be about some guy in an animal mask trying to kill people in a house.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
This is kinda awesome:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kush posted:

This is kinda awesome:

Pretty! How had I not heard about a new 'Zilla film before now?

e: with Ken Watanabe and Bryan Cranston?! Sign me up!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 18, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: with Ken Watanabe and Bryan Cranston?! Sign me up!

In a just world, this would be a secret prequel to Pacific Rim where this buddy cop duo has to build the first Jaeger.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
These Godzilla posters are awesome and I really hope the movie lives up to them. Casting Bryan Cranston gives me hope, he's an amazingly versatile actor.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Here's a new one by Tyler Stout.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I don't ever recall Keith David having 47 chromosomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I assume you're joking but in case you're not that's not by Tyler Stout.