Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

whalestory posted:

If I only have vanilla Civ 5, can I still play multiplayer with a friend with the gold edition?

Yes but youll both have to play Vanilla. And I dunno if you wanna end a friendship over a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

whalestory posted:

If I only have vanilla Civ 5, can I still play multiplayer with a friend with the gold edition?

You should at least get the gold upgrade, vanilla ain't worth it at all.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Brannock posted:

Has anyone managed to convince another civ (that you did not liberate) to vote for you as either World Congress Host or World Leader?

I have managed to buy votes for World Leader from a civ that I had been friends with for nearly the entire game. It was not cheap. It was just enough to let me tie the guy who was going to win by being elected World Leader (thus preventing him from winning), so maybe it helped that the civ I was buying from knew it wasn't enough votes to make me win?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Reinstalled this game in the morning because I decided I'd give the Gods and Kings DLC a go. BAD IDEA

I spent the whole day playing against the computer, even making up an excuse to not go to my friends BBQ and lying to my girlfriend that it had been called off.

Civilization is the only game that does this to me its digital crystal meth

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

IAmUnaware posted:

I have managed to buy votes for World Leader from a civ that I had been friends with for nearly the entire game. It was not cheap. It was just enough to let me tie the guy who was going to win by being elected World Leader (thus preventing him from winning), so maybe it helped that the civ I was buying from knew it wasn't enough votes to make me win?

I don't think the AI can know that unless everyone was the same ideology.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So this is my first CIV game ever, I picked up the Gold version today and had an interesting run. After playing the tutorial I picked Babylon and grabbed all resources I could connecting roads throughout. After a while Alexander got upset with me since my military was nonexistent, and sent his entire force after me. With all the roads + high production I sent out about 6 legions of cross bowmen and wiped up his force, he gave me a city which I proceeded to raze. Is Alexander always a Warmonger?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Sometimes he's not too bad, but he will always own every city state in the game so if you don't kill him he will destroy you with embargoes and diplomatic victories. Alexander near me is a 100% guaranteed war because he really can't be allowed to live until the info era.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Even if you had a military he probably would've dowed you, that's how aggressive he is.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
There are some civs where if you start near them they will go to war with you no matter what. Usually right around the beginning to late medieval era on standard speed is where it will start. Once they get catapults they will poo poo a few out then come at you, so you should always have a few bowmen by then at least. Alexander, Ghengis, Oda, Shaka, Montezuma, and Atilla are the worst offenders. Most other civs are more opportunistic and will actually weigh the cost/benefit of attacking you. Those dudes don't give a gently caress.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I can't think of a single game I've played where Alexander was included and didn't get Hostile at me...

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

I had Alexander get Hostile with me for denying open borders, from across the continent, when our only other interaction had been meeting each other.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

In my experience, he doesn't give a gently caress about you if you're seperated by sea, but then again most AIs are less bellicose navally with me.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Rascyc posted:

Does anyone have good experience with ideologies on deity? I feel like I can never have control over my ideology choices and I just have to go with the pack since it comes right in the middle of the period where you're sling shotting passed the AIs. I'm not quite ready to deal with a -10 or -20 happiness modifier and I've never been culturally prepared to defend against it and I am not sure you even can be on deity.

I just tried a peaceful tourism game with Polynesia. Figured I'd go order because the AI seems to vastly prefer order and my ally had gone order and another had gone freedom. I pick up order and boom, up to 11 happiness. A few turns later. Freedom, Freedom, Autocracy, Autocracy, Autocracy. Ugh. I didn't have any coal so I had to get to modern for my ideology. Perhaps I should have just waited until I got some coal and put up factories. I got unhappiness, completed the Eiffel tower and got backstabbed. Was the worst. I was going to start pumping out a bunch of hotel tourism too. I don't know why but I love Moais.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I missed this post earlier, so I'll just agree with tulip and say that you're really undervaluing trade routes. You don't have to keep a constant guard on a trade route unless it's to some far-off distant location, in which case you should reconsider your choice of route. In BNW don't find myself building much more of a military than I was in G&K, I just use the military I already would have to occasionally check the trade routes, so it's not extra gold per turn lost. A lot of your strategy will also fall apart on anything higher than the medium difficulties as the AI will be more aggressive in settling and with its military, and you'll be beaten to most wonders. I will readily admit that below King difficulty, Tradition is probably objectively better in most circumstances for peaceful play.

If I have to walk a unit out of my city to watch a trade route it's going to cost me money. In the early game it's going to cost me about half the trade route, I'd rather put a building up instead. It's hard to under value trade routes when they say on them exactly what they give. They're also necessary in Deity games for science and since you can't build wonders any way, you'll build them there.

Tradition is just mathematically better than liberty. It's more food, gold, culture (early anyway), and science. Liberty is better production. It's production should be eclipsed late game by tradition's population though.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 21, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone have any tips on how to properly invade the Iroquois when they're in a super thick forest that's lousy with mohawks? I'm struggling to get line of sight with my archers and a promoted mohawk in a forest is a match for even longswords, then they just run circles around me.

Bashez posted:

If I have to walk a unit out of my city to watch a trade route it's going to cost me money. In the early game it's going to cost me about half the trade route, I'd rather put a building up instead. It's hard to under value trade routes when they say on them exactly what they give. They're also necessary in Deity games for science and since you can't build wonders any way, you'll build them there.

Tradition is just mathematically better than liberty. It's more food, gold, culture (early anyway), and science. Liberty is better production. It's production should be eclipsed late game by tradition's population though.

In tradition, yes. In liberty, you're already paying for that unit, so the trade routes mitigate that. In any case, even with tradition, how are you getting away keeping all of your units holed up in your cities for the entire early game? How are you handling barb camps, quests, demanding tribute, worker steals, keeping an eye on the AI, exploration, and so on? It just seems totally crazy to imagine a play style where you keep your army in your city after the first 20 turns and keep them there for the entire early game. Combined with your stories of wonder spamming and forgoing trade routes, I just don't think we're even playing the same game anymore.

Tradition is not mathematically better than Liberty, that's a ridiculous claim to make. You can't quantify the rapid early expansion Liberty allows so easily.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.
Ok, so I was going to purchase the gold bundle on steam. If I have the original game already, should I buy just the gods and kings expansion or the bundle for the extra DLC stuff in the gold?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Healy posted:

Ok, so I was going to purchase the gold bundle on steam. If I have the original game already, should I buy just the gods and kings expansion or the bundle for the extra DLC stuff in the gold?

Buy the Gold Upgrade for $5, that has Gods and Kings and all of the DLC.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

ChikoDemono posted:

Gold Upgrade. Then BNW.

Greenmangaming has a 30% off coupon for Brave New World.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v-brave-new-world-na/

How does the gmg copy work with the steam version? Is it a mod folder that you can drag and drop?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

I wish they would have thrown in some modern great works. It's 1990, and there's a new mega-hit blazing its way to the top of the charts: "Symphony No. 9" by Anton Dvorak. The kids are just crazy for symphonic music, just like everyone has been for the past 400 years.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing that the only 20th century music is what, serialists? I've seen Berg/Lulu but that's about it. Nobody gives a gently caress about serialism anymore, where's the jazz? Where's the pop stars? Where are the motherfucking Beatles?

I'd pay money for DLC that fleshed out the great works/artifacts. The hidden artifacts especially are boring as hell - they should be crazy poo poo like alien crash landings. They should also be worth more than +2 tourism, just to make the exploration tree more worthwhile. Right now, even when I'm going for a culture victory Aesthetics, Rationalism, or more tenets seem far more worthwhile than Exploration.

For everyone complaining about how easy diplomatic victory is right now, once again I have to recommend using advance start and having city states = civs. It makes then far more valuable, and the competition to control them much more intense. I just lost a culture game horribly because I didn't have control of the council at first, and then those fucks outlawed city state trade and then made Order the global ideology. My freedom empire had grown heavily into the happiness from mercantile resources, so you can imagine what happened after that.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Safetyland posted:

How does the gmg copy work with the steam version? Is it a mod folder that you can drag and drop?

They just give you the game code you add to steam via the activate a product on steam menu.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I was hoping at the very least they'd have added an Elvis hit since that's such a long running gag of the series.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I was hoping at the very least they'd have added an Elvis hit since that's such a long running gag of the series.

When obsidian was making New Vegas, they tried licensing an Elvis song and discovered that would cost more than the entire budget for New Vegas. So instead they went with Fly me to the Moon by Dean Martin.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Enzenx posted:

They just give you the game code you add to steam via the activate a product on steam menu.

Great, thanks!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone complaining about Diplomatic Victory being too easy or the AI too passive needs to put more Alexander in this game. Goddamn that guy is a mega fucker.

In my current Emperor game I have been locked in a state of eternal warfare agaisnt Greece all the way from the Rennasiance to the near end of the game. rear end in a top hat stole a bunch of wonders I needed for a culture victory, and they were eating up my buddy Venice, so I decided they had to go. Turns up he had teched up to flight and bombed my invasion force into the Stone Age. I waited until I had fighters and killed most of his planes, but little progress was made.

Here is where poo poo gets crazy though, Alexander started playing pretty smart. He tried to avoid my mountain chokepoint by sailing around it and trapping me in a pincer movement. He also sent a massive navy to take my coastal capital, ironclads backed by battleships, plundering all my trade routes on the way (and he had to sail all the way around the continent to do it, so its not like it was a fluke) The most interesting thing is that he bribed a city state ally of mine that was almost next to my capital at the same time as his naval force was arriving, who proceeded to send land support or his naval invasion. That was pretty unexpected and I barely held on to my capital.

Meanwhile the land war was going veeeeeeery slowly. 3 great generals had to sacrifice themseleves to make a path of citadels up to Venice, which I proceeded to liberate. BIG MISTAKE. That ungrateful fucker Enrico became guarded agaisnt me. I captured some more cities and burned them down because I could not hold anything, anything I captured Alexander would retake in 1 or 2 turns, until the city became a poo poo hole that was better of razed to the ground.

And while me and Greece where locked in a death struggle, Poland spiraled out of control in the other continent, swallowing every other civ and becoming an unstoppable juggernaut. Before the war with Greece we were all pretty much tied, now Poland is 1000 points above both of us. The war agaisnt Greece was a complete bust so far, locking us both in an eternal arms race neither could win. I gave up on the war when loving Poland captured most of Venice, blocking off my reinforcements. Then Alexander busted in with a massive counteroffensive and erased all my gains. And I saw a pointiest sticks report that he had 80,000 soldiers to my 10,000, so there was no chance of me ever actually winning the war.

Now me and Greece are in a space race to see who can get off this rock before Poland eats everything. I definetely feel like the AI has improved, at times when I was fighting Alexnader I felt like I was playing another human being who was willing to try different strategies instead of endlessly throwing units at a meatgrinder.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2013

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Is there any way to form alliances anymore? I've played through 6 or 7 times now with the brave new world and all the expansions and not once have I ever gotten out of the friendzone. I have played all the other civ games and I am pretty sure in vanilla civ V you could form some kind of alliance. Did that get removed in brave new world? Oh and what is up with trading? Has it always been so bad? It's never an equal trade, like say silk for spices. Usually it's something like they give me silk and I give spices iron 5 horses 5 30 gold per turn and open borders.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Is there a way to play multiplayer with mods?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Seemenaked posted:

Is there any way to form alliances anymore? I've played through 6 or 7 times now with the brave new world and all the expansions and not once have I ever gotten out of the friendzone. I have played all the other civ games and I am pretty sure in vanilla civ V you could form some kind of alliance. Did that get removed in brave new world? Oh and what is up with trading? Has it always been so bad? It's never an equal trade, like say silk for spices. Usually it's something like they give me silk and I give spices iron 5 horses 5 30 gold per turn and open borders.

You can set up defensive pacts once you've researched Chivalry.

You will only get equal trades if you are trading for their excess resources. If you are trying to trade for their last copy you will never get a 1:1 deal.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Traxis posted:

Note: do not set up defensive pacts. You'll get burned every time. When your idiot ally gets starts getting his poo poo kicked in by an aggressor AI your automated declaration of war gives you every diplomatic malus you would normally get for being the aggressor yourself.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Seemenaked posted:

The closest think to alliances in vanilla Civs were getting friendly based on whether you picked Order,Freedom,or Autocracy. And if the Ai is doing that it either means it doesn't like you or it's the last copy of it's luxury

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Sorry to bring up this old chestnut, but I found the games in Civ V vanilla too similar, like it was playing in autopilot. Should I consider getting the gold upgrade, and/or BNW to alleviate this?

I should also mention my strategy hasn't improved since spamming settlers in Civ 1, so any new features like expanded diplomacy/religion/culture is probably more of an annoyance to me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Antares posted:

Note: do not set up defensive pacts. You'll get burned every time. When your idiot ally gets starts getting his poo poo kicked in by an aggressor AI your automated declaration of war gives you every diplomatic malus you would normally get for being the aggressor yourself.

Does it affect the AI's chance of declaring war though? Right now Rome is the largest military power after having gobbled up Russia and Germany on his continent, Korea is the only other Civ on the continent with him. I signed a defensive pact agreement with Korea to try and prevent Rome from completely conquering the largest continent in my world. I have a slightly smaller military but much more technologically advanced. I'm hoping this will keep Rome from trying to eat up Korea while I get together an invasion force to try and liberate the two civs and any other city states.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Mattybee posted:

Is there a way to play multiplayer with mods?

No

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Anyone have any tips on how to properly invade the Iroquois when they're in a super thick forest that's lousy with mohawks? I'm struggling to get line of sight with my archers and a promoted mohawk in a forest is a match for even longswords, then they just run circles around me.
Lousy terrain wars pre-artillery pretty much requires the use of mounted units and roads.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

dud root posted:

Sorry to bring up this old chestnut, but I found the games in Civ V vanilla too similar, like it was playing in autopilot. Should I consider getting the gold upgrade, and/or BNW to alleviate this?

I should also mention my strategy hasn't improved since spamming settlers in Civ 1, so any new features like expanded diplomacy/religion/culture is probably more of an annoyance to me.

With the faith system and the restructuring of a lot of wonders and tech it felt like a different game completely. It took some getting used to, but civ v with all the bells and whistles is definitely worth it imo. I was pleasantly surprised coming back to the game after only playing vanilla civ v for a few weeks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Traxis posted:

You will only get equal trades if you are trading for their excess resources. If you are trying to trade for their last copy you will never get a 1:1 deal.

They will usually expect 3:1 for the last copy of a resource, but it's doable and still pretty reasonable if you can afford the luxuries and it pushes your cities into a We Love The King Day over a luxury you can't get any other way

Your best strategies here are going to be diplomatic. Try to use allies or allied citystates to start the war with him on two fronts at once; try to thin out his units with a fortified blob at the border, but don't invade and hope that the second front draws his remaining units away as numbers dwindle. Look for an opening to force your blob in, and expect to lose a lot of melee in the process. Pick cover as the second upgrade for every melee unit, and each time the city you're approaching targets a new melee unit on approach just fortify them in place until they die or you get the rest of the army past them and into place since the AI will keep shooting the one with the lowest health in range.

Alternately, I'm not sure how keen the Iroquois are to give away cities in a peace deal (the Ottomans, for one, love to piss away whole cities in this manner when beaten), but if you can make inroads in a more accessible corner of his territory and obliterate his army you may be able to get him to hand over cities you can't take by force, with their buildings and population intact. Some civs never seem to be willing to give up cities for peace even when you're clearly going to obliterate them otherwise, and I'm not sure which stat governs this (though I'd like to know)

Seemenaked posted:

With the faith system and the restructuring of a lot of wonders and tech it felt like a different game completely. It took some getting used to, but civ v with all the bells and whistles is definitely worth it imo. I was pleasantly surprised coming back to the game after only playing vanilla civ v for a few weeks.

I'd never recommend that anyone play Civ5 vanilla at this point; G+K is a much needed patch in addition to the additional content. BNW builds on that and is awesome but it's not essential like G+K is compared to vanilla.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 21, 2013

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Bashez posted:

I just tried a peaceful tourism game with Polynesia. Figured I'd go order because the AI seems to vastly prefer order and my ally had gone order and another had gone freedom. I pick up order and boom, up to 11 happiness. A few turns later. Freedom, Freedom, Autocracy, Autocracy, Autocracy. Ugh. I didn't have any coal so I had to get to modern for my ideology. Perhaps I should have just waited until I got some coal and put up factories. I got unhappiness, completed the Eiffel tower and got backstabbed. Was the worst. I was going to start pumping out a bunch of hotel tourism too. I don't know why but I love Moais.

I can't imagine why!

Also learned in this game that when Shaka starts on his own continent, he's perfectly content to fill it up with cities, kill the CSs, then flood you with trade routes instead of Impi. He even warned me about someone plotting against me. Thanks, Shaka.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I played so much civ 4 I feel like my view of floodplains is still warped. In civ4 the extra food practically make them a special tile. Here they aren't that special, especially with no more river coin.

Still trying to improve in civ 5, after having put it down for a long time at release. I can sweep prince just fine, and am working on king. Enemy civs are pretty good at keeping up with me on this one, and sometimes are passing me by. I feel like I am maybe not expanding enough. I always seem to run into happy issues though, which slows me down. Any time I get a little more happy it is always eaten up by growth quickly.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I played so much civ 4 I feel like my view of floodplains is still warped. In civ4 the extra food practically make them a special tile. Here they aren't that special, especially with no more river coin.

Still trying to improve in civ 5, after having put it down for a long time at release. I can sweep prince just fine, and am working on king. Enemy civs are pretty good at keeping up with me on this one, and sometimes are passing me by. I feel like I am maybe not expanding enough. I always seem to run into happy issues though, which slows me down. Any time I get a little more happy it is always eaten up by growth quickly.

I'm the same way, just remember flood plains are still inherently better because desert folklore is goddamn nuts and polders are awesome.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sometimes I do things besides actually playing the game.

Leaders Timeline:

Full size
Transparent version

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Echo Chamber posted:

Sometimes I do things besides actually playing the game.

These are awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I love how it goes from dribs and drabs until 1400, then boom!

• Locked thread