Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Wait, so they were mad that you were successfully tanking the instance? If you were getting yourself killed it would be one thing but why were they so mad if it was working?

Because he wasn't doing what they told him to do. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

rotinaj posted:

Because he wasn't doing what they told him to do. <:mad:>

Pretty much. On at least some level, in my opinion, you've gotta be a bit of a control freak to do well at tanking.

That still makes it absolutely hilarious when they lose their poo poo because they're getting one-upped by a guy who's only in there because of some vendor gear from the next tier of progression.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

They were mad because he took control away from them. A lot of people who play that role are control freaks and lose their poo poo if you take control away.

It's a defense mechanism. Dungeon Finder can give you the absolute worst DPS that pull stupid poo poo and wipe the group. Eventually you just learn to have a minor conniption every time someones touches your precious aggro in hopes of preventing that situation.

Once I realized how high strung I was constantly I stopped tanking.

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding

whenimmashoo posted:

It's a defense mechanism. Dungeon Finder can give you the absolute worst DPS that pull stupid poo poo and wipe the group. Eventually you just learn to have a minor conniption every time someones touches your precious aggro in hopes of preventing that situation.

Once I realized how high strung I was constantly I stopped tanking.

I stopped healing after cross server LFD because of this. Tanks don't give a gently caress, DPS don't give a gently caress, so why should I?
To be honest, I burned out after Ulduar.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tsurupettan posted:

They were mad because he took control away from them. A lot of people who play that role are control freaks and lose their poo poo if you take control away.
What's that? Main tanks being prima donnas? Well, I never! :ohdear: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=123249#post346336089

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just saw this on reddit. I think this qualifies, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing.

quote:

Pretty self explanatory. A guy in chat says "i play Maokai as a tree" we understood that he was going jungle in some way, yet turned out he was supposed to go top, (which in my opinion is fine). But he went near the right side, like you see in the pictures, and stood there till 15:00 That is when the rock ulted him and made him run.

No, he was not AFK, he was throwing sampling all the time. And after he was killed, he bought 2 items and then ran to the red buff and just went willy nilly all over the place.

I will not say his name, because that breaks the rule of witch hunting/personal attacks but i can say that he is Silver II, and seems to be that he did this the second time now, judging at his match history.

Fun for some one as it may be, it ruined 4 peoples and probably 5 others gameplay. Playing a game should be for fun, but i think this kind of "fun" should be limited to Normal, not Ranked, for peace sake, because of this clown i lost one of my placement matches.

You can do support Poppy, jungle Heimerdinger, ADC Nunu, jungle Olaf or anything else, but for gently caress sake, at least try to win, rather than proceed to make us lose.

Seemed like he was drunk or something like that, but still we had to report him for ruining our gameplay and he will probably get a ban or a warning for sure... Checking him, he seemed like a non-toxic player. But you know, that is what drinking does to you. Don't drink alcohol kids, or you might get banned.

TL;DR: Don't play while drunk, or you will wonder why are you banned afterwards and blame tribunal for false information.

No hard feelings, but come on...

EDIT: Lost my placement matches. Thanks Maokai.

If you don't know who he is, read this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 22, 2013

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
^^^ Can we get a translation of that for the people who don't play LoL? like me

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Galick posted:

I think a dude sandabagged and lost the game for his team. Possibly by pretending he couldn't move because he was a tree - but he didn't hide in the jungle/"forest" where you would expect someone to do that when trolling.

Also he did it twice.

I may not be correct, I don't play/speak LoL, it just seems like a basic MOBA so there really aren't too many variations on what one can pull while playing it. Most do involve making your own team suffer though, since it's a pretty touch-and-go MP genre which can't afford someone to be :jerkbag:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Maokai is a champion who's basically just a tree. Like literally a tree.

The "jungle" is basically the space in between the lanes (top, bottom, middle) which has a bunch of neutral enemies that junglers tend to farm for gold and then run into lanes out of the blue and kill generally unaware or mostly dead people.

So when he said he played him like a tree, the natural assumption would be "oh, he's a tree so he'll be in the jungle a lot ha ha very clever". But instead, he just hid inside a tree and proceeded to cosplay as a tree for the next twenty minutes, helping absolutely no one at all and being utterly useless.

This was a Ranked match, which means that when his team inevitably lost, everyone on his team lost league points, which determines the ladder you're in. This guy is extra mad because if he won this game, he'd advance to the next ladder. Mister Tree prevented that, which means he needs to basically climb the ladder he's in again to try and advance at some point in the future. Normal games really have no penalties for losing or being an rear end in a top hat, other than every single person hating you.

And the bit about Heimerdinger and Poppy is just saying "you can play people in weird roles or where they're not supposed to go, that's fine. but at least TRY to be useful somehow"

And those are not two separate occasions. He did not move for twenty minutes.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 21, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Galick posted:

One of the characters is a tree who's backstory is that he got magically animated and just wants to go back to being a tree again. Guy plays that character, stands in one place roleplaying a tree, other players on his team get really mad because now they're pretty much guaranteed to lose.

Personally I don't think "playing a MOBA and throwing a game" really counts as griefing (it's way too easy), but that's certainly one of the more imaginative ways to do it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So you spent all this time explaining something that you you didn't actually do yourself, but rather just C/P'd off of reddit?

That's a grief in itself, I guess. I mean you definitely made me waste some of my life reading that.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You didn't waste enough time reading it, apparently. The very first thing I said was that I saw it on reddit.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Some guy AFKing in League sure is an incredibly well thought out grief. Truly a master of his craft.

Oh wait, he's just an idiot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Playing a MOBA is really a grief in and of itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thumbtacks posted:

You didn't waste enough time reading it, apparently. The very first thing I said was that I saw it on reddit.
No I got that. You just don't seem to get it. copy pasting a story off of digg/fark/reddit/:jerkbag: is weak poo poo. Tell your own story or at least one you were around to see yourself, or :fuckoff:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My mistake. In the future I'll make sure to email you anything before I post it for your approval so I can rest easy knowing you are satisfied.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hey look, everybody's mad about nothing. Grief successful.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair, the copy/paste is an angry Redditor complaining about being griefed. Anyway, as best I can tell not being a LoL player, the guy was basically roleplaying the Maokai character as accurately as possible based on the backstory, in which Maokai really doesn't want to fight and would rather just be a tree. This is of course absolutely counter to how the game is supposed to be played, and being LoL this pisses everyone off, but it's totally fitting considering the description the developers gave the character.

Also requiring people to only post their own griefs/griefs they witnessed would be dumb. A good grief is a good grief.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sleeptalker posted:

To be fair, the copy/paste is an angry Redditor complaining about being griefed. Anyway, as best I can tell not being a LoL player, the guy was basically roleplaying the Maokai character as accurately as possible based on the backstory, in which Maokai really doesn't want to fight and would rather just be a tree. This is of course absolutely counter to how the game is supposed to be played, and being LoL this pisses everyone off, but it's totally fitting considering the description the developers gave the character.

Also requiring people to only post their own griefs/griefs they witnessed would be dumb. A good grief is a good grief.

Plus seeing an angry Redditor is always amusing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Got votekicked from a Valve TF2 server earlier. My crime? Taunting after every kill, along with running a Ron Paul shitterbind. The best part about it was the guy who was getting pissed off the most was using choice words such as "human being" and "friend of the family" as comebacks everytime I taunted him, at which point I started using the standard goon social justice shitterbinds which pissed him off even more. It was both hilarious and sad watching him have a meltdown, but then I got autobalanced to his team at which point he may have set the record for fastest votekick initiated on a person ever. I hadn't even spawned again when I saw the vote popup asking if I should be kicked. It was pretty goddamn hilarious.

Then I went and friended the moron and started spamming hist chat box too.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Home for the PS3 may as well be considered Almost Second Life, which is sad in itself. Sometimes when I am bored enough, I just go to the bowling alley on any given day, crouch my character's face into another avatars genitals while they are sitting and waiting for their turn to bowl, and you'll see all kinds of wonderful chat prompts like FAG and GAY. The last one I got was when I was wearing a sombrero unlocked from Red Dead Redemption, this guy started going on and on about the Gay Mexican Agenda and how all brown people are homosexual.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Scyantific posted:

shitterbinds

I'm guessing this is some form of bowel complaint?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Even more MAV fun in BF3. Same guy as before. This time, a whole clan rages on teamspeak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSaWtV2owRA

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Scyantific posted:

Got votekicked from a Valve TF2 server earlier. My crime? Taunting after every kill, along with running a Ron Paul shitterbind. The best part about it was the guy who was getting pissed off the most was using choice words such as "human being" and "friend of the family" as comebacks everytime I taunted him, at which point I started using the standard goon social justice shitterbinds which pissed him off even more. It was both hilarious and sad watching him have a meltdown, but then I got autobalanced to his team at which point he may have set the record for fastest votekick initiated on a person ever. I hadn't even spawned again when I saw the vote popup asking if I should be kicked. It was pretty goddamn hilarious.

Then I went and friended the moron and started spamming hist chat box too.

I have been recently vote kicked for being a mini sentry engineer. I can't believe with how dumb this game has gotten (probably 200+ different weapons) people still get upset about poo poo like that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm guessing this is some form of bowel complaint?

It's what happens when you don't get enough fiber.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Missing Name posted:

Even more MAV fun in BF3. Same guy as before. This time, a whole clan rages on teamspeak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSaWtV2owRA

I love these MAV videos. If I'm understanding this right (I don't play the game) the team getting pissed off keeps winning the matches, but it's not enough to win when a little robot keeps crashing into you.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Novum posted:

I love these MAV videos. If I'm understanding this right (I don't play the game) the team getting pissed off keeps winning the matches, but it's not enough to win when a little robot keeps crashing into you.

Winning the match isn't everything. It's just hilarious that they keep playing as if he'll stop despite them finding out that this is his entire gimmick.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Novum posted:

Actually every time you saw "Your Team Won" that was Zelmarked winning since it was from his perspective, sometime the VGU guys were on his team due to their server being low-pop. And, these days in online games, Win-Loss Ratio doesn't matter nearly as much as Kill-Death Ratio, so they were more pissed off that he was making them look bad somehow when he barely got any kills and they were winning out with good scores regardless.

In short, just like TF2, people get mad when you use something rarely used because it's not, uh, playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

FoF posted:

I have been recently vote kicked for being a mini sentry engineer. I can't believe with how dumb this game has gotten (probably 200+ different weapons) people still get upset about poo poo like that.

Why do mini-sentries make people upset? I haven't played TF2 since hats first started becoming a thing.

e: God this loving mav thing makes me want to buy BF3.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 22, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Tsurupettan posted:

Why do mini-sentries make people upset? I haven't played TF2 since hats first started becoming a thing.

You can control both types of sentries manually now right? What are the other differences? Is it just harder to hit because it's small therefore people think it's an unholy nuisance?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Lunethex posted:

You can control both types of sentries manually now right? What are the other differences? Is it just harder to hit because it's small therefore people think it's an unholy nuisance?

It does less damage, shoots faster, and can be deployed much, much more quickly.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Are there any other TF2 weapons that absolutely infuriate people? I might have to reinstall it some time.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

Lunethex posted:

You can drop it extremely fast, it does decent damage, and you can farm revenge crits and it costs almost nothing to put down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tsurupettan posted:

Are there any other TF2 weapons that absolutely infuriate people? I might have to reinstall it some time.

Natasha used to, dunno if it still does. Failing that, just body shot people with the stock sniper rifle. For some unholy reason people consider getting body shot the ultimate insult.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

The Droid posted:

It does less damage, shoots faster, and can be deployed much, much more quickly.

Yeah, so it's a perfect storm of a pissing-off weapon. The enemy hates it because you're being way more aggressive and useful than an Engineer should be capable of, and your allies hate it because you're not doing what an Engineer 'should be doing', whic is just standing back and being defensive far beyond what's actually useful.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Nah its just unlike regular sentries that engineers try to repair and hold a specific point mini-sentries are disposable drop and forget weapons. An engineer collecting metal off of dead players and ammo boxes can easily plop a new mini-sentry down every time it gets blown up. I honestly don't think its too bad as long as people blow them up as they see them. However pub servers where a team has 4 snipers and no explosive classes they can be quite the nuisance.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

On any given BF3 server if the host is a complete poo poo head there will be plenty of rules written such as "WELCOME TO MY SERVER NO SHOTGUNS NO PISTOLS NO AUTOMATIC RIFLES NO CLAYMORES NO C4 NO MAVS NO STINGERS AND HAVE FUN!!!"

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Knives and anti-tank mine suicide jeeps only. That's my kinda server.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Coolguye posted:

Natasha used to, dunno if it still does. Failing that, just body shot people with the stock sniper rifle. For some unholy reason people consider getting body shot the ultimate insult.

I have enjoyed people getting frothy when bodyshot with the Sydney Sleeper. I once dominated an enemy Sniper in a duel and he started becoming hysterical about how crap I must be because I was using the Piss Rifle.

...Admittedly I kind of goaded him to begin with by giving him tips after I first killed him about how he should pick more useful sniping spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Coolguye posted:

Be sure to taunt after every single kill with the sniper's default cocky wave.
They love that.

• Locked thread