Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fojar38 posted:

How in the name of all that is holy do you guys do 22 civs? Wouldn't that push turn-time well over a minute in late-game?

As long as you have animations turned off it's not so bad, or it hasn't been so far at least (about 30 seconds on turn 800). Disabling animations seriously speeds up turns in this game, and I run the game in windowed mode so I can alt-tab between turns. That said I don't personally run max city-states and I suppose it does require a decent rig since my brother's game just crashes when he tries it.

Fintilgin posted:

Look on Steam workshop, or Civfanatics. Half the maps uploaded are some variation on: "EXTREME ULTIMATE PERFECTION HUGE WORLD MAP!"

Unless you care about realistic resources and starting locations, you can also just pick an Earth map and add AIs until they're at max which is what I did.

The Oldest Man posted:

I just captured the last original capital city on the map, but the game didn't end. What gives? Anybody else had this happen?

Since BNW you need to own every single capital personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

beanbrew posted:

Sometimes, it's immensely satisfying to kill off everyone else on your continent before the other continent's civilizations even know you exist.

Does it count if they're the only other one on the continent? And the "continent" is a tiny-rear end island on an archipelago map? My first BNW archipelago map started me on a pretty sizeable land mass with room for eight or nine cities (although I had to share it with the Incans), this one has room for four, and it's an extremely tight fit. There was a small isthmus between me and China, with China getting the better terrain. I guess she didn't think much of my catapults because she never bothered to build a military even after I declared war prematurely just to kill her settler. She was actually going to forward settle right on my freaking border, ignoring that she had a couple spots on her end that even have different luxuries. This spot she was trying to settle had absolutely nothing. During that time, she built another settler, and then as it turns out, petra. Beijing was her only city and she was using it to build a wonder while under siege. Luckily for me, it finished the very turn I was going to capture the city.

So yeah, can't say it was particularly satisfying. I think at some point one of the AI layers just kind of forgot it was at war. Because it seriously sent unguarded settlers right to my territory, landing adjacent to my military units. And then they build a wonder. Also, the AI is really crazy bad at judging good city locations. Like really, ridiculously bad.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Playing an interesting game as the Shoshone. I rolled a heavily dense jungle start on a Continents map (Emperor difficulty), though it was on a river and had a couple hills here and there. As I was about to reroll I thought "you know, Universities do have that +2 science on jungles thing, I wonder if that's actually worth it."

So away I went, using the culture/pop bonuses from ruins to quickly facilitate a TGL->College slingshot for early science, grabbing the jungle culture pantheon then eventually beelining to education. I have to say, provided you have enough jungle food resources about to keep your food intake high as you grow, university-boosted jungle tiles are quite good indeed, and as of now in the Industrial age I'm a good 8-10 techs in front of everyone else. Those jungle tiles would probably be hilarious broken if you're playing Brazil, I'll have to try that out one of these days.

Speaking of Brazil, he was my closest neighbor south. I kept to four cities for much of the game so far and was content to just leave Brazil alone, until I noticed him starting to wonder-whore all the cultural stuff and getting some legit tourism pressure going. I was doing pretty well on culture myself with the pantheon but had mostly plateau'd in that area, and had mostly been ignoring tourism since my production had been lackluster most of the game working unimproved jungle tiles. Of course, I soon realized he had a capital full of sweet, wonderful wonders and enough military to qualify as "dead last" with his best units being one or two muskets and some crossbows. Meanwhile I was already at gatling guns and cannons. It was a pretty fast war :black101: So now Brazil is relegated to being a tiny two-city stump south of me. My other neighbors (America and Ethiopia) don't like me much anymore but they won't be able to do much about it. And I've got a capital full of wonders and great works ready to come out of resistance in a couple of turns.

So yeah, if you have a ton of jungle around think twice about tearing it all down at the first opportunity.

EDIT - And of course I just found out now you can build trading posts on jungles without cutting them down. I even checked this fact beforehand and somehow missed it the first time. Apparently I'm not so good at this game :downs:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 22, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Jungles are pretty much the best tiles in the game. Combine them with Rationalism for +1 science from tradings posts and chuck those on every jungle tile and you'll get a pretty absurd amount of science in your city.

It sucks a bit in multiplayer if one guy happens to get jungle near him and one doesn't though, it's a huge advantage. I wouldn't mind if they got nerfed a tiny bit.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wow, just had my first experience with city-flipping. It was transoceanic too. Japan is in the middle of a revolutionary wave and flipped Osaka over to me, Brazil. Came with two works of art, which is great for the carnival I got goin on right now!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kanfy posted:

Jungles are pretty much the best tiles in the game. Combine them with Rationalism for +1 science from tradings posts and chuck those on every jungle tile and you'll get a pretty absurd amount of science in your city.

It sucks a bit in multiplayer if one guy happens to get jungle near him and one doesn't though, it's a huge advantage. I wouldn't mind if they got nerfed a tiny bit.

Ahem, jungle surrounding a sacred mountain. I managed to get a city that was next to Sri Prada, a coast, a river, and had like 12 jungle tiles.

But really it's desert hills because dear god Petra. If there's anything that needs some nerfing, it's that, it really hurts the game as is.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

But really it's desert hills because dear god Petra. If there's anything that needs some nerfing, it's that, it really hurts the game as is.

Of course, but capital city locations with desert hills near them are quite a bit rarer than jungles and Petra is often rough to build in secondary cities. Maybe I'm just unlucky but I rarely get to make those famous "Petra cities" since I tend to go with whatever starting location I happen to get and most of the time it doesn't include more than a couple of desert hills at best.

Obviously you could just say "screw that, don't even need hills" and pick Morocco. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Of course, but capital city locations with desert hills near them are quite a bit rarer than jungles and Petra is often rough to build in secondary cities. Maybe I'm just unlucky but I rarely get to make those famous "Petra cities" since I tend to go with whatever starting location I happen to get and most of the time it doesn't include more than a couple of desert hills at best.

Obviously you could just say "screw that, don't even need hills" and pick Morocco. :v:

The only real reliable ways to get Petra is to either play as a civ with a desert start bias, or to go Liberty and use the free great person on an engineer and rush it. If your capital is actually in a desert spot that would be good for Petra, then rush currency and get to building it ASAP.

WutangSavesXmas
Jul 31, 2012

T..Thank you, Wolverine.
-Evo 2013
Anybody have tips for a domination victory? I think I play way too passively for one. I always want to buy every building for every city and this is a bad habit. Then when I get denounced and called a warmonger, I guess my brain tells me to stop fighting and mash next turn for an hour. Bah. I'm only used to playing tall

WutangSavesXmas fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 22, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Does the CPU get free wonders? Maria Theresa just got medieval era at turn 86 (presumably guilds) and then built machu picchu on turn 88. She doesn't have any wonders that would make a great engineer and she is full Tradition.

edit: and it probably doesn't need to be said but workshops are medieval era as well.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 22, 2013

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
e: nevermind.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else noticing that some AIs just do not play certain parts of the game? Had a game where Brazil had 19000 gold but didn't bother to get a single city state ally, and I swear some AIs just don't bother with archaeology at all.

In other news, high difficulty Inca AI can snowball like whoa.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Verviticus posted:

Does the CPU get free wonders? Maria Theresa just got medieval era at turn 86 (presumably guilds) and then built machu picchu on turn 88. She doesn't have any wonders that would make a great engineer and she is full Tradition.

edit: and it probably doesn't need to be said but workshops are medieval era as well.

Could she have filled out the patronage tree and received a Great Engineer as a gift?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Fojar38 posted:

How in the name of all that is holy do you guys do 22 civs? Wouldn't that push turn-time well over a minute in late-game?

I've always played with 14 civs and 28 city-states on a large map, and until BNW came out I never had a game where I actually met more than ten.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Just beat my first Emperor BNW game as Pocatello Freedom Spaceship.

Had a runaway Alexander on the other continent (I was playing Continents) who over the course of the game murdered everyone else on his continent. I get to Satellites and the other continent is just white n blue. Luckily I had enough cash and diplomatic clout myself to embargo him and all city states AND get a standing army tax down on him. He certainly didnt make any friends with his warmongering and I used that to my advantage to lead myself to victory. At the end of it all there were only 3 different civs left (Me, the Inca, and Greece) and we all had different Ideologies before Greece flipped to Order. For his part Pachacuti was a bro for the entire game and I couldn't have done it without buying a few of his votes.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Reveilled posted:

Could she have filled out the patronage tree and received a Great Engineer as a gift?

No, she was only Tradition 5.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As far as I'm aware the AI doesn't get to overtly cheat like that. It gets ridiculous happiness and gold bonuses but it doesn't just get free poo poo except for starting with extra units at higher levels. It's certainly an odd case but there must be an explanation.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

She probably got Great Engineer points from some other wonder she built, which only payed off (conveniently) right after Guilds popped.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

brocretin posted:

She probably got Great Engineer points from some other wonder she built, which only payed off (conveniently) right after Guilds popped.

Yeah, check if she has Stonehenge.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beamed posted:

Yeah, check if she has Stonehenge.

There's a few ancient/classical wonders that give GE points. I think the Pyramids are another.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think this clause was meant to specifically preclude that:

Verviticus posted:

She doesn't have any wonders that would make a great engineer

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh. Yeah, well, sometimes this game just serves you up a load of bullshit.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I finally won on Emperor! Autocratic Domination. I had to use Darius to do it (who thought that guy was balanced? Any one of his unique attributes, building, and unit are extremely strong all by themselves), but whatever, after months of trying I finally did it. Highlight of the game for me was agreeing to invade Portugal on another continent with my bro Hiawatha, following his navy and invasion force with my navy until he was right next to my ally Genoa, and backstabbing the gently caress out of him. I've never experienced anything quite like it, must have been 15 ships involved in the battle between me, Genoa, Hiawatha, and Portugal. After that my technologically superior army just swept across both continents, scooping up capitals.

Autocracy is great for a civ that wants to keep what it conquers. Elite Units and Mobilization are good tenets for the war effort itself, but its the variety of happiness tenets that really make it possible, especially the one that gives you +2 happiness per barracks, armory, or academy.

I know Darius is about as easy a leader as you can play as, but now that I know winning is at least possible, I feel better equipped to do it again with another leader!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I know we all have our own little lists of how to improve combat, but would anyone else be interested in a mod that boosts Cannons to 3 range without the indirect fire promotion? Definitely not "balanced" but it would make Cannons that much more useful for taking out cities while still requiring proper terrain.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Crazy Ted posted:

I love playing as Shoshone so far.

Can't quite get the hang of Dandolo and Venice though. I imagine that it didn't help that the game I started the other day with the screenshot I posted saw me stuck on an inland sea thanks to ice. Fuckers. I should try Venice on a Terra map. I'm more of a casual player than most of you so I don't necessarily blow through AI opposition quite as easily.

Yeah, I am a Filthy Casual as well (never actually pulled off a win on King, and Prince is still a fun challenge) and I am trying to get the hang of Venice; I feel like my one city strategy is usually crammed full of poo poo already, and adding the need to build all the trade units is just overloading it. Should I just abandon all hope of getting wonders until the midgame, as I suspect I should be?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I wish there was a way to queue citizen assignments. Don't do poo poo, governor, here is your urban development plan for the next 3000 years.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, I am a Filthy Casual as well (never actually pulled off a win on King, and Prince is still a fun challenge) and I am trying to get the hang of Venice; I feel like my one city strategy is usually crammed full of poo poo already, and adding the need to build all the trade units is just overloading it. Should I just abandon all hope of getting wonders until the midgame, as I suspect I should be?

Really, the basic idea for Venice is either to generate as much gold as you possibly can with the double trade routes, or use internal routes to build Venice up as high as you can. The trick is that you don't ACTUALLY want to play Venice as an OCC civ: Buy one or two good City States and set up a food or production route to Venice. You should be buying units and buildings more often than not, and use Venice's production to build Wonders. Venice is fun, but it requires a slightly different mindset.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I started off on the same island as Egypt on an archipelago map and decided to destroy the poo poo out of them before they could expand because gently caress Egypt :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I started off on the same island as Egypt on an archipelago map and decided to destroy the poo poo out of them before they could expand because gently caress Egypt :colbert:

No no no no. The idea is to let Ramses spam the wonders then roll in and take them. Egypt is a wonder piñata.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I haven't poked around myself, but can you view great works you've already completed in your cities?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I haven't poked around myself, but can you view great works you've already completed in your cities?

You can review the work itself on the city screen. The tourism overview lets you see and move around all great works. I think it has it’s own button by the policty and espionage buttons, but I usually get to it by clicking on the tourism number in the top bar.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm playing my first game on Prince (I am not good at Civ :shobon:) and I'm really struggling with unhappiness. It's been in the minus's for almost the entire game, even though I have zoos in every city. Is there something I'm missing?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pay off some city states for happiness resources you don't have? Get more culture and pick some social policies which give happiness?

Some social policies can really give you huge happiness bumps. I often get a bunch from freedom, with capitalism and universal suffrage. The last commerce policy also usually gives a bunch.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, mouse over the happiness total and you'll see the breakdown of where it's coming from. You probably have too many cities, too much population in the cities or not enough luxuries/wonders/social policies to reduce happiness, assuming your regular buildings are maxed out with zoos.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Filthy Monkey posted:

Pay off some city states for happiness resources you don't have?

Aha, this was what I was missing. I had totally ignored city-states previously, threw some gold at the three nearby and shot from -6 to +18 happiness :hehe:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

EvilHawk posted:

I'm playing my first game on Prince (I am not good at Civ :shobon:) and I'm really struggling with unhappiness. It's been in the minus's for almost the entire game, even though I have zoos in every city. Is there something I'm missing?

Civ V really doesn't like expansionary civs. Nor does it particularly like warring civs. The actual Roman Empire would have like -3,000 happiness. Building a new city costs happiness, so make sure that you have four points of happiness before you build another city.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I have vanilla Civ V plus some DLC bits I grabbed last time it was on sale. I just tried to buy the Gold Edition upgrade and Gods and Kings and it told me I'm attempting to purchase an item that is already included in another package in my cart. Does Gods and Kings include all the DLC up to that point? Additionally, if I just buy Brave New World will that get me all the Civ V content to date?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Third Man posted:

I have vanilla Civ V plus some DLC bits I grabbed last time it was on sale. I just tried to buy the Gold Edition upgrade and Gods and Kings and it told me I'm attempting to purchase an item that is already included in another package in my cart. Does Gods and Kings include all the DLC up to that point? Additionally, if I just buy Brave New World will that get me all the Civ V content to date?

Gold Edition is Gods and Kings plus DLC. Brave New World has all the core mechanics, but without the DLC civilizations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Third Man posted:

Gold edition includes everything except Brave New World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kaal posted:

Civ V really doesn't like expansionary civs. Nor does it particularly like warring civs. The actual Roman Empire would have like -3,000 happiness. Building a new city costs happiness, so make sure that you have four points of happiness before you build another city.

Nah, the actual Roman Empire would have maybe a dozen cities and be totally fine with their marble, citrus, dyes, truffles, wine, gold, silver, jewels, pearls, crabs, and various wonders. The English empire might have been pretty poor off, but they were expanding to get more unique luxuries, so it kinda evens out.

:shobon:

• Locked thread