Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

big mean giraffe posted:

Why the hell are you people camping and using computers? :psyduck:

The Gadfly posted:

I use mine for gps to follow vague routes while hiking. Also, I use it as a flashlight since I try to pack light. I'm sure there are other valid uses such as using it as an mp3 player, taking pictures, recording video, etc...
This reminds me of this story where a dude and his girlfriend got lost in the wilderness at 3 AM with two iPhones and a flashlight and they ended up chin deep in a snake-infested lake. "a survivalist tale of tech failure, the power of nature, and a tightrope walk above surefire doom"

The video's 25 minutes long and definitely worth a listen. It's a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

td4guy posted:

This reminds me of this story where a dude and his girlfriend got lost in the wilderness at 3 AM with two iPhones and a flashlight and they ended up chin deep in a snake-infested lake. "a survivalist tale of tech failure, the power of nature, and a tightrope walk above surefire doom"

Yeah but I wasn't using Apple Maps :rimshot:

Seriously though, these guys are morons for leaving a trail at 8pm. That would be dusk already and it gets dark really fast at that point. I did carry a topographical map and a mechanical compass on me as a backup, but admittedly, I'd still be a lot more lost if I didn't have GPS. If I didn't have this technology to begin with, then those two things are just about the only things I'd have to work with anyway... I had 2 spare 3100mAh batteries on me, so battery power wasn't an issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cozmosis posted:

you can, but you'll have to check - I think the Bionic used the larger sim

Yeah, it uses a larger SIM. An adapter will solve it if you can get a hold or one or even craft one out of plastic or cardboard.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it uses a larger SIM. An adapter will solve it if you can get a hold or one or even craft one out of plastic or cardboard.

Isn't the bionics Sim tray exposed? He could slide his micro in there and just line it up.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Isn't the bionics Sim tray exposed? He could slide his micro in there and just line it up.

I've done exactly this with my Bionic after having cut my original SIM to put in my SGS3.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

td4guy posted:

Going forward on the trail instead of backwards is at least a reasonable choice. Going off the trail in full darkness is idiotic. Deciding to "follow the stream" instead of getting back on the trail is so absurdly stupid I can barely fathom it. Following a tiny unidentifiable light into a marsh is...desperately dumb.

Technology had nothing to do with it, they just made wrong decision after wrong decision.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I ended up just activating my Bionic and old sim card that was still in it online until my MAXX HD replacement comes in. It's amazing how unhelpful non corporate verizon stores are.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, my mom is on my account and needs a new phone, but isn't eligible for an upgrade yet. I have one that I've been sitting on for about 6mo, because I don't want to lose my unlimited data. On the VZW site, it gives me the option to transfer the upgrade to her line. By doing that, will it renew my contract, thus losing me my unlimited? I'm assuming it will, which makes the whole plan a no go...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm pretty sure upgrade transfers only renew the contract on the line being upgraded.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well , I chat with web support for a few minutes and the best answer they could give me was, "maybe". But, the service rep called a few minutes ago and said she got a final answer from her supervisor and I'd be safe to transfer it. So, hooray!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Ok, I just want to verify this is how the procedure will work:

My wife's dumbphone is eligible for an upgrade but is on her mom's account.

If we use her upgrade to get me a new smartphone of some type, then add her current dumbphone back onto her line, we can add the new smartphone onto my line and keep my unlimited internet?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

Ok, I just want to verify this is how the procedure will work:

My wife's dumbphone is eligible for an upgrade but is on her mom's account.

If we use her upgrade to get me a new smartphone of some type, then add her current dumbphone back onto her line, we can add the new smartphone onto my line and keep my unlimited internet?

That is exactly the right thing to do. When the phone arrives, it will likely have a SIM card in the box. Put your own SIM into that new phone, and you're done.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

I'm pretty sure upgrade transfers only renew the contract on the line being upgraded.
The line that is eligible or giving away the upgrade is the one that gets a renewal. Otherwise it would still be eligible after the transaction it could upgrade again. :v:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't mind if my contract gets extended, because I'll almost definitely never leave VZW (ugh), I just don't want to lose unlimited. From what the CSR said, and some reading on Android Central, I think I'll be ok, but I was hoping someone here knew. For some reason, I trust you strangers on the internet more than other strangers on the internet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

XIII posted:

I don't mind if my contract gets extended, because I'll almost definitely never leave VZW (ugh), I just don't want to lose unlimited. From what the CSR said, and some reading on Android Central, I think I'll be ok, but I was hoping someone here knew. For some reason, I trust you strangers on the internet more than other strangers on the internet.

Third party stores apparently have an easy time doing it. I'd start there.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

The jig is up!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

cuedotcom posted:

The jig is up!

Hoping I don't get that any time soon. My new employer only has discounts with tmobile and sprint, not verizon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

cuedotcom posted:

The jig is up!

Haha, wow. I've gotten a state discount for about 3 years now, despite only barely being a state employee at the time I signed up. However, in a cruel twist of fate, I just got a new job a couple months back...working for the state.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Hoping I don't get that any time soon. My new employer only has discounts with tmobile and sprint, not verizon.

I think everyone is going to have to renew.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Heh, my employer just got discounts with Verizon. 20% off regular plans, 50% off family plans. :getin:

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Protocol7 posted:

Heh, my employer just got discounts with Verizon. 20% off regular plans, 50% off family plans. :getin:

I was receiving 20% off from working for Darden; originally having signed up 3 years ago. I haven't been there for about a year now, and have been riding the wave. I'll go from about $69 to about $83 :emo:
_____

According to the internet, the Moto X phone is shaping up to be a mid-range phone. How unsurprisingly disappointing. Dual-core 1.7ghz, 2gb ram, 720 display. I can only speculate: at least 4.3" and 8-16 GB onboard memory.

How about something really exciting??

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/ubuntu-edge-smartphone/

" The Ubuntu Edge is a very ambitious smartphone that'll be capable of running a full-fledged Ubuntu desktop operating system alongside Android. While specs are currently tentative, the company is aiming to outfit the Edge with a quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Meanwhile, the phone itself will sport a 4.5-inch, 1,280 x 720 display that's constructed of sapphire crystal glass, an 8MP rear / 2MP front-facing camera and stereo speakers. As for connectivity, Canonical's eyeing LTE, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC, along with MHL support. "

One can only assume it will be an unlocked handset that you just drop a sim into. The project needs $32million to get off the ground, and has allegedly already pulled down ~$1.7million (today being the first day)

If this badboy ever makes it to the market, holy-moly. Retail price will be $830, but Indiegogo is saying early adopters can snag it for $600 (which is a god drat deal). It appears Verizon is the only named US carrier willing to play ball out of the gate.

Unless Motorola announces some real sex between Verizons new lineup, and their official press release for the Moto X, Indiegogo will be getting some hot cash out of my pocket very soon.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 23, 2013

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

I think everyone is going to have to renew.
Eventually that is the plan. Some like retiree benefits and military might be exempt.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Protocol7 posted:

Details? I would lose my unlimited for tiered data in a heartbeat if I got 50% off our 4 lines...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kensei posted:

Details? I would lose my unlimited for tiered data in a heartbeat if I got 50% off our 4 lines...

Don't know any of the how, but the why is because we're a 4000 person software company, someone high up struck a deal, and Verizon probably still gets a sick cut from a lot of us.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Yeah I could probably also swing moving from tiered if 50% was involved.

Although Verizon (at least for my company) has odd breakouts of the discount. For example the plan itself is 20% off and then the plan features (data and texts) are 22%. No clue how that works in a tiered situation. Doubt I'll ever know.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kensei posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my employee discount only applies to my line, not the other three.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
FWIW, my employee discount applies to both lines. I'm on a family plan and my discount is a meager 22%, though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Must be a contract-specific thing because I get my 22% off the base plan price and the charges for the first line. So my $10 line charge, $30 unlimited data, and $30 tethering buyup are all discounted, but nothing to any of the other lines.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Must be a contract-specific thing because I get my 22% off the base plan price and the charges for the first line. So my $10 line charge, $30 unlimited data, and $30 tethering buyup are all discounted, but nothing to any of the other lines.
It can vary by employer but typically the rules for employee discount are:
  • If single line, must be voice plan $34.99 or higher.
  • If Family Share account access is discounted not $9.99 line charges.
  • If Share Everything account access is discounted not $10 - $40 line charges.
  • If grandfathered unlimited data feature is discounted plan must pass >$34.99 rule. If Family Share only 1 line (what was primary line when primary lines were a thing) gets data discount.
  • If tiered data plan any line in family share can get discount but data plan must be >$44.99 so no discount on $30 2GB
  • Unlimited voice plans (excluding Share Everything) do not get discount but can get data discount.
  • Must be current Nationwide pricing. Old Digital Choice and Alltel plans do not get discounted.
  • Data-only such as Jetpacks do not get discount.
  • Lines must be in contract or have completed a 2 year contract.

Employers can negotiate exceptions to these but it is very rare.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

discount terms

Ah, good to know. Are the corporate discounts that call for waived activation fees and phone purchase discounts a thing of the past?

When I first got phones for me, the wife, and mother-in-law in 2011, I was told my corporate price would get me $50 off the contract price for a phone and the activation fee would be waived. That was nice because on three lines that was more than $100 in fees I wouldn't be paying.

When I added a line in November to get a RAZR HD MAXX without burning my unlimited data, there were no discounts to be had whatsoever. I paid the normal two year price and they put the $35 on the next bill.

It does still seem like I get an accessory discount, when I bought a car dock back in February or so.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Speaking of corporate discounts, I have a question. I currently have something listed as "20% FEATURE DSCNT - ACCOUNT on eligible features" on my account. When I check my corporate discount options, it says that I can get "up to 20% off the monthly access fee on qualifying voice plans with a monthly access fee of 34.99 or higher".

Is this the same thing, just worded differently? Also, will switching to a family share plan give me a better discount? It's worth noting that the other line on my account works for the same company, but if I remember correctly, the discount is only valid for the primary line...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

It can vary by employer but typically the rules for employee discount are:
  • If single line, must be voice plan $34.99 or higher.
  • If Family Share account access is discounted not $9.99 line charges.
  • If Share Everything account access is discounted not $10 - $40 line charges.
  • If grandfathered unlimited data feature is discounted plan must pass >$34.99 rule. If Family Share only 1 line (what was primary line when primary lines were a thing) gets data discount.
  • If tiered data plan any line in family share can get discount but data plan must be >$44.99 so no discount on $30 2GB
  • Unlimited voice plans (excluding Share Everything) do not get discount but can get data discount.
  • Must be current Nationwide pricing. Old Digital Choice and Alltel plans do not get discounted.
  • Data-only such as Jetpacks do not get discount.
  • Lines must be in contract or have completed a 2 year contract.

Employers can negotiate exceptions to these but it is very rare.

May I PM you about questions?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

May I PM you about questions?
Yeah no problem. I'll be home in about 2 hours and can get on AIM.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Acrolos posted:

Speaking of corporate discounts, I have a question. I currently have something listed as "20% FEATURE DSCNT - ACCOUNT on eligible features" on my account. When I check my corporate discount options, it says that I can get "up to 20% off the monthly access fee on qualifying voice plans with a monthly access fee of 34.99 or higher".

Is this the same thing, just worded differently? Also, will switching to a family share plan give me a better discount? It's worth noting that the other line on my account works for the same company, but if I remember correctly, the discount is only valid for the primary line...

The only eligible features I have seen are data discounts. There aren't really primary lines anymore but the Account Level charge gets discounted.

kitten smoothie posted:

Ah, good to know. Are the corporate discounts that call for waived activation fees and phone purchase discounts a thing of the past?

When I first got phones for me, the wife, and mother-in-law in 2011, I was told my corporate price would get me $50 off the contract price for a phone and the activation fee would be waived. That was nice because on three lines that was more than $100 in fees I wouldn't be paying.

When I added a line in November to get a RAZR HD MAXX without burning my unlimited data, there were no discounts to be had whatsoever. I paid the normal two year price and they put the $35 on the next bill.

It does still seem like I get an accessory discount, when I bought a car dock back in February or so.
Some do waive activation fees (usually only with 2 year contracts) and some do not. Probably the majority do not waive but the majority do have %25 off most accessories.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

XIII posted:

Can I do this if both phones are smartphones? My wife is on a Share Everything plan and I'm still unlimited, but I've got an upgrade that I can transfer to her. If I transfer the upgrade and then use it with her line, will I keep my unlimited?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Human Cow posted:

Can I do this if both phones are smartphones? My wife is on a Share Everything plan and I'm still unlimited, but I've got an upgrade that I can transfer to her. If I transfer the upgrade and then use it with her line, will I keep my unlimited?

That's how I understand it works. There's a ~40 page thread on Android Central where people discuss doing this successfully (with the latest confirming stories being as recent as this week)

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

The Human Cow posted:

Yes. Just make sure the upgrade is transferred or processed as an Alternate upgrade and the phone is never activated on your line. When phones are changed the system generates a 'Reason Code' as to why the phone is changing. Reason codes that denote 2 year contract pricing are what trips the system to not allow unlimited data any longer.

If the phone is never put on your line you will keep unlimited.

I'm probably not allowed to copy/paste this from our intranet but what the hell:

quote:

Transactions Requiring Customers to Select a Current Data Plan or Feature Applicable Reason Codes
Alternate or Buddy Upgrade AU and AV
Lost or Stolen Replacement, No Insurance M1 and M2
Upgrades UP, U2, EU, NE, N5, S2, E2, M1, M2, B1, B2, H1 AND H2
Upgrade to Basic Phone UP, U2, EU, NE, S2, E2, M1, M2, B1 and B2

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
I managed to do that with an iPhone 5, except the line I was using the upgrade on was unlimited, and it never got taken away. Maybe it's handled differently for preorders?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

erotic dad posted:

I managed to do that with an iPhone 5, except the line I was using the upgrade on was unlimited, and it never got taken away. Maybe it's handled differently for preorders?
No. The person who helped you activate it probably put in manually, hosed up and flagged it as Customer Provided Equipment by mistake. You got lucky and will probably get to keep it.

VZW only really audits when the feature is re-added after being removed and even then you typically get to keep it and the employee gets in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Thanks for the responses to PMs. Watch Out Smarmy is rad as hell y'all.

• Locked thread