Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, with the proper SDK out for a good while, has there been any word on an AI improvement mod?

Varjon posted:

Freedom gives you flat out tourism bonuses in every city that has a broadcast tower. Order requires you to have higher happiness, which can be very difficult. I forget what Autocracy has, but Freedom is pretty much hands down best imo, if tourism is your only concern. The others might be a better choice depending on how your empire is set up, though, because of other tenets.

If you can bully the world into going Order, then you can double up on the Tourism bonuses thanks to another tenet having +34% tourism to order civs. Autocracy is the worst ideology to do a Culture Victory in, its bonuses are a paltry +100 tourism to everyone when a cultural great person is born (that really needs to be boosted by maybe double or triple its current strength) and +50% tourism to people fighting a common enemy, so it's even less reliable than Order's. But you can manipulate the AI into declaring war with someone other than you and then also declaring war on that person for a bonus. You're autocracy, you can take on whoever and give no fucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Bashez posted:

The extra hammer per city and 5% building building (heh) is the best policy out of liberty. The problem with liberty is that generally speaking going wide with tradition is better than going wide with liberty (but slower) if you can manage your happiness.

Care to explain how you do this? Like many others, I'm struggling to succeed with a wide empire, I'd love some tips.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Geight posted:

How the heck to theming bonuses work? The pop-out says "collect different eras and civs and put them together" and I do that and get nothing for it.

It should state very obviously what the theme requirement is. Like, the Louvre's is "must have two Great Art and two Artifacts, and they must all be from different Eras and different Civilizations" (to max it out). Sistine's is that they must all be from the same Civ and the same Era, etc.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hulk Krogan posted:

Maybe you're mixing artifacts and great works? I had two great works and some ancient era beads or something in one of the 3-slot wonders and it took me the longest time to figure out why I wasn't getting the bonus despite seemingly meeting the requirements. Turns out that was it.

Oh yeah, does anyone in MP generally give you a hard time swapping artifacts, or do they generally tell you to gently caress off since they know you're culture?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well the way swapping works, you a work up for grabs and anyone can swap it for whatever. So they'd find a work that isn't giving them a theming bonus, put it up for grabs, and occasionally check to see if there's one that will that is also up for grabs. More likely, no one will ever put anything up or trade because they'd rather just deny the bonuses than go for them themselves. I also wonder exactly how likely a culture victory will be in MP. Can a tourism focused player survive an onslaught from someone who isn't? Unlike the AIs, the players will forget any allegiances and will strike at the first sign of weakness.

edit: Basically every victory in MP has to be done with the world's strongest military regardless of what it is (usually a concede once everyone else realizes they can't win).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 25, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Guildencrantz posted:

Care to explain how you do this? Like many others, I'm struggling to succeed with a wide empire, I'd love some tips.

I don't usually do it, because I hate playing wide, generally speaking. You'll need religion for a happiness crutch. The idea behind it is that tradition gives the same 1 happiness for every city that liberty does (once your cities hit 10 pop), no maintenance on garrisons, and an empire wide 15% food. The empire wide liberty bonuses are 1 happiness for connections 1 culture and then the much smaller 5% less unhappiness and a general reduction in culture costs. Traditions empire wide bonuses are better, it's just harder to get off the ground. Especially on higher difficulties when all the land you want may be gone quickly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm sort of amazed by how much my game improved by learning to play tall. Before BNW I only and exclusively played wide. I was a city addict. Every gap in my country was filled with cities, no conquered city was ever burned. I had to have ALL THE CITIES. I could win on King, but I usually found it pretty challenging. I'd usually run well behind in score most of the game before squeaking out a win near the end.

Now I absolutely utterly dominate on King by playing tall. Time to move up in difficulty, I guess.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Guildencrantz posted:

Getting pogodas from religion helps a lot, so does doubling your happiness resources in the commerce tree. The science hit is what kills me going wide.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Varjon posted:

Freedom gives you flat out tourism bonuses in every city that has a broadcast tower. Order requires you to have higher happiness, which can be very difficult. I forget what Autocracy has, but Freedom is pretty much hands down best imo, if tourism is your only concern. The others might be a better choice depending on how your empire is set up, though, because of other tenets.

Freedom is good, but I kinda prefer order, since you get +34% for other order civs, and all the :) tenets, combined with the :argh: freedom/autocracy civs most likely will be getting from your tourism makes getting more :) really easy in the endgame, where tourism starts to take off.

And am I the only one who doesn't like the new Terracotta Army? It's just pointless, only time I built it was as the Zulus, and that gave me a grand total of three units, a comp bowman, a spearman and a scout, and not the massive murderdeatharmy I was expecting. They didn't even get the +xp or the promotion from the ikanda in my capital, which made the spearman useless.

I could have built more and better troops directly for less cost.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It gives you one unit for each type of unit you currently have, so you just have to build a variety of units early and it's decent, but it's pretty situational and usually not very useful. It's nice if there's a city state with an early unique. As Zulu, never build it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's currently the cheapest way to get BNW? I basically ignored it because I never liked Civ 5 Vanilla and then Tom Chick's scathing review of BNW sealed the deal, but between actually enjoying a G&K game, this thread and Three Moves Ahead's glowing impressions I feel like I made the wrong choice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Green Man Gaming had a 30% off coupon but appears to be gone now. Guess all you can do is wait for another to come around.

Edit: I looked up the review you mentioned and oh man I've never fundamentally disagreed with a review so much.

Civ 5 still isn't perfect but goddamn man.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 25, 2013

Bradeh
Jul 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's currently the cheapest way to get BNW? I basically ignored it because I never liked Civ 5 Vanilla and then Tom Chick's scathing review of BNW sealed the deal, but between actually enjoying a G&K game, this thread and Three Moves Ahead's glowing impressions I feel like I made the wrong choice.

Tom Chick just comes across as super bitter for whatever reason. Civ 5 isn't perfect but it's nothing like he thinks it is.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1245-sid-meier-s-civilization-v-brave-new-world

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Yeah I just read that guys review and can't take it seriously. Think he just hates these types of game. Enemy Military AI is about the only thing I agree with, they are pretty dumb and tend to only win when they just poo poo out tons of units magically.

When doing a tradition build do you guys build a monument in your capital instead of using the perk that gives it to you for free? I used to build a monument early for the bonus culture but have started getting an early worker instead and just using the tradition perk to get the monument a few turns later.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

BadLlama posted:

When doing a tradition build do you guys build a monument in your capital instead of using the perk that gives it to you for free? I used to build a monument early for the bonus culture but have started getting an early worker instead and just using the tradition perk to get the monument a few turns later.

You'll get the Amphitheatre free if you build a monument.

Bradeh
Jul 24, 2013

BadLlama posted:

^^ Yeah I just read that guys review and can't take it seriously. Think he just hates these types of game. Enemy Military AI is about the only thing I agree with, they are pretty dumb and tend to only win when they just poo poo out tons of units magically.

He's a Civ 4 purist like many people are but I think there is only so much hate you can harbor.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
What exactly determines the unhappiness generated by other ideologies? I was at -12 for a while, then a dozen turns later, its back to zero. Is it based on culture vs tourism, or something else? The manual or civopedia don't say, at least that I can see.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bradeh posted:

He's a Civ 4 purist like many people are but I think there is only so much hate you can harbor.

I played Civ 4 a good amount but not nearly as much as Civ 5 let alone this new expansion. Having unit stacking gone alone is awesome.

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

You'll get the Amphitheatre free if you build a monument.

Yeah true, but by that time if I really want an Amphitheater in my capital I could probably build it real fast. Getting a worker out 10 turns sooner means earlier improvements which just snowball longer imo.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Palleon posted:

What exactly determines the unhappiness generated by other ideologies? I was at -12 for a while, then a dozen turns later, its back to zero. Is it based on culture vs tourism, or something else? The manual or civopedia don't say, at least that I can see.
Their influence on your, versus your influence on them. So if the the ratio of (their tourism) : (your culture) is greater than (your tourism) : (their culture), then you will receive pressure (though I don't think it has strictly to do with ratios, as it does with the levels of influence [exotic->dominant]).

Think of your total accumulated culture as your ideology 'defence' and your tourism as your 'offense'.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

gradenko_2000 posted:

Brave New World is great and pretty much does a massive amount of work to address late game problems in 4X.

He's pissed that Civ V got rid of stacking, the interface (which is awesome so I don't even know wtf), and that Civ V isn't "realistic", whatever the gently caress that means. IIRC he complained about how BNW is full of pointless "busy work" but reminisces in how you could abduct Great People in Civ Revolution.

His BNW review was nothing but :spergin: about how Civ V isn't like his rose colored and confetti'd memories of Civ IV. He wants his stacking back because nothing says realism like having 500,000 archers massed on one cubic mile of land.

ed

Civ V's interface is the only thing unequivocally better than Civ IV in Vanilla. Stacking is an awful, outdated mechanic. The guy is nuts if he thinks otherwise.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 25, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The tourism/culture think makes perfect sense in real world terms. The Louvre has a bunch of stuff in it, and people go visit it to see it. People will go see places that artists and musicians lived, it's not literally about going to see the work of art or read the book or hear the music.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FISHMANPET posted:

The tourism/culture think makes perfect sense in real world terms. The Louvre has a bunch of stuff in it, and people go visit it to see it. People will go see places that artists and musicians lived, it's not literally about going to see the work of art or read the book or hear the music.

This. I read what he said about tourism and knew he was full of poo poo. Why go see the actual Mona Lisa when you can GIS it? :psyduck:

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

Their influence on your, versus your influence on them. So if the the ratio of (their tourism) : (your culture) is greater than (your tourism) : (their culture), then you will receive pressure (though I don't think it has strictly to do with ratios, as it does with the levels of influence [exotic->dominant]).

Think of your total accumulated culture as your ideology 'defence' and your tourism as your 'offense'.

Thanks, that makes sense. I knew influence mattered for cultural victory, but I never put it together with the ideology influence, or why there were even different levels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ice Fist posted:

This. I read what he said about tourism and knew he was full of poo poo. Why go see the actual Mona Lisa when you can GIS it? :psyduck:

If you can GIS it you have the Internet! Double tourism!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Palleon posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. I knew influence mattered for cultural victory, but I never put it together with the ideology influence, or why there were even different levels.

If you go in to the culture screen you can look at how impacted people are. I think it's where it says dissidents or content or whatever, hovering over that will tell you how much people are pushing on whom. It will say like France 3 torches for freedom, Songhai 2 autocracy symbols that I don't remember off the top of my head, Spain 1 autocracy doohicky, Polynesia 3 Hammer and sickles for order.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Palleon posted:

This post should be in the OP imo:

Gully Foyle posted:

So the way it works is that there are five levels of tourism influence (based on your tourism v. their culture) as below.
0 - Unknown
1 - Exotic
2 - Familiar
3 - Popular
4 - Influential
5 - Dominant

Once ideologies roll around:

If you have different ideologies: it compares your influence you have on the AI with the influence the AI has on you. So if you have influential on them, but they only have familiar on you, you are exerting +2 'force' on them. This is done for every other civ that has a different ideology.
If you have the same ideology: again, influence is compared, but the difference is now used to prop them up (lets call it 'defense').

Now, all of the 'force' on the civ is compared to all of the 'defense' on the civ. If force > defense, then the civ will start to suffer happiness penalties. There are different levels of this:
0 - Content (defence is equal or better than force) - 0 unhappiness
-1 - Dissidents - Highest of: 1 unhappiness/city or 1 unhappiness/10 pop
-2 - Resistance - Highest of(I think) 2/city or 1/5 pop
-3 - Revolutionary Wave - Highest of 4/city or 1/3 pop

The level corresponds to the amount of force compared to defense. If you force them below -20 unhappiness this way, their cities may start to flip to the civ with the dominant ideology. Another option is to switch ideologies, but they lose all the tenets in the old tree (I believe, not sure about that). And even swtiching might not save them, if both alternate ideologies are putting out lots of pressure.

vv Edit: Yeah, that's true.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2013

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
If you switch ideology, you lose two tenets.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Bradeh posted:

Tom Chick just comes across as super bitter for whatever reason. Civ 5 isn't perfect but it's nothing like he thinks it is.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1245-sid-meier-s-civilization-v-brave-new-world

Holy poo poo, this guy thinks G&K made Civ 5 worse :psyduck:

And the idea that the new systems "don't fit" and are "pointless busywork" is absurd. I'm not a great player, but I can always feel how my choices of religion and ideology fit into an overall strategy. I think he's just angry about skill tree-type systems existing, for whatever reason.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 25, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Ice Fist posted:

Even better. "Ideologies do nothing". Shows you he barely played the game at all or only played it on low difficulty. Picking the right ideology perks are crucial for certain victories.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

As badly as the AI is at using armies, and how combat is currently biased towards ranged units, I hope we never go back to stacks. In Civ 4, I wasn't able to exploit the advantages and disadvantages of units as effectively as in V (if only because each stack always defends with the unit that will do the most damage). This way is a hell of a lot more intuitive, and just needs a little more polish.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bradeh posted:

I'm a total Civ 4 purist but I still enjoy Civ 5 for what it is and it's indeed much better with this expansion than before.

Incidentally there's nothing wrong with unit stacking, but I'm not going to hold that against this game :colbert:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not some uber game loyalty type person, and I'm not afraid to point out chinks in a games armor, but that Tom Chick review was poorly written, terribly shallow, and useless. He poo poo's every system going on rambling rants on how Firaxis is dumb or whatever. Why do people give that guy money to write?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tom Chick sounds like an rear end in a top hat and his review is full of hyperbole. That said he is correct when he says that combat AI is atrocious and that several things introduced by the expansions should have been in the game in the first place.

I'm starting to learn that you should only buy a Civ game after the second expansion is released.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gort posted:

I have real problems doing anything but a Tradition start these days. The massive super-capital with the halved unhappiness and the national college is just too good, not to mention fast expanding borders and a large free army.

I just don't get how Liberty, Honour or Piety can stand up to Tradition as a first tree.

Do Libertarians just play on huge maps only or lower difficulty levels (or slow game speed, same thing)?

So i play with humans and that is 99% of the explanation for my preference for Liberty.

The reason to go wide and play liberty is that you have more production slots in your empire and ultimately higher growth. Note that that is production slots, not production, and the reason this difference matters is because it means you can puke out a much, much larger army. Typically how my games go is that somebody starts to run away with the game in medieval, and if that person isn't me then i need to start a foreverwar with them. Foreverwars with humans are different, because they don't just clumsily wander into the same ambush over and over again giving you a 50:1 KDR. In order to get results you need to be willing to lose units, and this eventually means you need 3-4 cities dedicated to nothing but continuous military production. Being a tall empire doesn't excuse you from this, and if all of your cities are puking out military units constantly and not building infrastructure behind the war, you are already in a death spiral. Honor doesn't stand up as an alternative, by the way, because you really can't spare having units in garrison except at the front lines (which means that Tradition's Oligarchy doesn't wind up nearly as helpful as it should be) so you basically have no happiness boosters. So yea that's why you do liberty - a bunch of mediocre cities making GBS threads out bows/cav while also building markets and such will beat a few good cities furiously pumping out as many units as they can.

There are a couple other advantages to keep in mind, the most significant of which by far is "free great prophet." I know most people do Great Engineer but to be completely honest being able to found a religion with close to no faith generation is really clutch. Since Liberty is a pretty rare choice, Great Pyramids is more or less 'at your leisure' and it's a really good if not particularly exciting wonder. Plus, the bonus to Settler production seems like an expansion bonus but what it really means is "don't rush buy settlers, spend that money on archers."

Liberty is honestly much worse in the ancient/classical ages because you still can't really afford to go up to like 10 cities like some people think you should. And given that a five man army is basically 'good enough' for any amount or era of warfare against AIs, there's pretty much no reason to care about military production potential against AIs. Tradition is i think an overall 'better' tree, because it's the only tree that provides direct bonuses to pretty much everything. Reformation beliefs are incredibly strong but there's no bonus to expansion in Piety, Honor needs better happiness management (even something as simple as "+1 happiness for 10 turns when you kill a non-barbarian unit"), Liberty really suffers for social policies (IMHO the best Liberty policy is Representation entirely because it ameliorates this problem). Liberty is mostly good as a spoiler to humans, but otherwise the opening of the game is a no-brainer repetitive task.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tulip posted:

There are a couple other advantages to keep in mind, the most significant of which by far is "free great prophet." I know most people do Great Engineer but to be completely honest being able to found a religion with close to no faith generation is really clutch. Since Liberty is a pretty rare choice, Great Pyramids is more or less 'at your leisure' and it's a really good if not particularly exciting wonder. Plus, the bonus to Settler production seems like an expansion bonus but what it really means is "don't rush buy settlers, spend that money on archers."

Why not free Hagia Sophia?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

So i play with humans and that is 99% of the explanation for my preference for Liberty.

The reason to go wide and play liberty is that you have more production slots in your empire and ultimately higher growth. Note that that is production slots, not production, and the reason this difference matters is because it means you can puke out a much, much larger army.

This plum doesn't make sense. If you need to construct a 5,000 hammer military it will take a 250 production/turn civ 20 turns to do it whether it's from 10 (25 ppt) cities or 2 (125ppt).

But liberty generally will get you more hammers anyway.

Liberty cannot keep up with Traditions 15% food growth. Additionally Monarchy gives more happiness so tradition should yield a higher happiness cap on growth as well.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why not free Hagia Sophia?

This is one of my favorite uses of that engineer. I just envision him building a building, going inside and finding God and telling everyone about how awesome it was.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any announcement of any kind of patch or some such in order to maybe tweak some of the tech trees or whatever?

Does Firaxis do this?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, with the proper SDK out for a good while, has there been any word on an AI improvement mod?

If you can bully the world into going Order, then you can double up on the Tourism bonuses thanks to another tenet having +34% tourism to order civs. Autocracy is the worst ideology to do a Culture Victory in, its bonuses are a paltry +100 tourism to everyone when a cultural great person is born (that really needs to be boosted by maybe double or triple its current strength) and +50% tourism to people fighting a common enemy, so it's even less reliable than Order's. But you can manipulate the AI into declaring war with someone other than you and then also declaring war on that person for a bonus. You're autocracy, you can take on whoever and give no fucks.

I just won a cultural victory as Venice using Autocracy. It is easy as long as you just kill everyone who is producing culture at a fast rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Has there been any announcement of any kind of patch or some such in order to maybe tweak some of the tech trees or whatever?

Does Firaxis do this?

They did this with BNW, I can't imagine them thinking something's seriously wrong. I thought what they did was a whole lot of positive stuff and am pretty happy with it overall.

• Locked thread