Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Once I had to eradicate every last ethiopian city from a medium subcontinent across the ocean on a huge map in 10 turns to stop him from winning an inevitable diplo victory. It does help that I had a huge invasion blob of mechanized infantry, rocket artillery, battleships and subs full of ICBMs offshore already but I hadn't even declared war yet. In the end after spending all my gold on more ICBMs and shuffling them madly around the world over a network of midpoint subs I dropped my last nuke on his last city as my last move on the last turn before the UN vote and erased that gently caress from the ballot. Where's your god now Haile Selassie? Where is your god now?!

Obviously that's not always possible, but I think the lesson here is that you want to kill Alexander early because if he survives to the endgame you'll never be friends with a citystate again. He's a belligerent rear end in a top hat who will denounce everyone and backstab his friends so he's an easy target for early group denouncement teambuilding exercises

I guess so. I just feel so cheated because I"m doing so well in every aspect, but here he is. All his CS bro's gonna vote him leader.

And this is SERIOUSLY pissing me off. Brazil and him are NOT super best buds and have differing ideologies. However, Brazil is putting a defensive barrier of HIS units around ALEX'S units so I can't directly assault Alex's capital. It's all but reduced, but Brazil keeps putting his BS units in the way so I can't wage war effectively against Alex. Is this intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

This is pretty cool. He's not exactly engaging, but I am learning a lot from his Brazil playthrough.

Although it makes Deity look nigh unwinnable. Just wave after wave of Impi.

I beat the save he posted on Civfanatics for his Shoshone LP, and you start on an island with Hiawatha, Babylon and Shaka. As long as you have some space between you and Shaka he's awesome and we tag teamed Babylon, but of course eventually went to war. Shaka isn't all that bad, you just have to get crossbows before he starts crapping out impi or you are dead.

I actually won a domination as Shaka after that game because I was curious if the impi keep their insane UA when upgraded (they don't). The Buffalo line is really not all that great, but of course the free promotion you get is insane, and if you stack it with the Heroic Epic you can keep crapping them out until rifling. You also end up with super soldiers because of his UA.

But the answer to Shaka is to delay universities and get longswords/crossbows. Starting near him is a tremendous pain because unlike a lot of civs he seems to always build up a force and attack you early.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Do the upgraded forms of civ-specific units come with the bonuses of the earlier versions? Or should I stockpile, say, Samurai when I can build them before upgrading?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised how closely he puts his cities together. It works really well in his Brazil playthrough because they can defend one another from the Zulu attacks, but I'd always just assumed you wanted your cities 5+ tiles away from one another so you can sprawl across as many resources as possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

This is pretty cool. He's not exactly engaging, but I am learning a lot from his Brazil playthrough.

Although it makes Deity look nigh unwinnable. Just wave after wave of Impi.

The Brazil game he's playing is actually a super hard challenge game posted on the Civ Fanatics forum. It's basically a really bad start for Brazil (no jungles) next to a warmonger AI who has a ridiculously strong early game UU. It's not indicative of the overall difficulty of Deity in most normal circumstances. If you want to watch someone who generally makes Deity look easy, there's MadDjinn. He's not very exciting and he doesn't always explain everything he does but he's extremely good at the game and I learned a fair amount by watching him. His latest game is a Venice Domination game and it's pretty interesting, although it's been bogged down in a mostly repetitive war for the last ten or so episodes.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm surprised how closely he puts his cities together. It works really well in his Brazil playthrough because they can defend one another from the Zulu attacks, but I'd always just assumed you wanted your cities 5+ tiles away from one another so you can sprawl across as many resources as possible.

In an ideal world where you don't have to worry about other players, sure. But in reality you don't really want to do that and you come to find that unless you find a super city site somewhere with a huge deposit of resources, the benefits to settling further out aren't actually very big.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 28, 2013

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

cams posted:

Do the upgraded forms of civ-specific units come with the bonuses of the earlier versions? Or should I stockpile, say, Samurai when I can build them before upgrading?

That depends on the unit. In general, if a bonus is displayed as a promotion it stays with the unit as it upgrades (but not always-- the Impi doesn't keep spear throwing for example). Samurai will retain their bonuses when upgraded.

Here's a cool chart I found on CivFanatics some time ago, not sure which thread exactly:

The green entries are kept as a unit upgrades but are also just promotions that a standard unit could gain with experience. The blue entries are unique bonuses that are kept as you upgrade (for example, samurai general thing). Grey entries are lost with upgrade. Red entries are penalties that you lose as you upgrade. Hope that helps.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I believe he's asking if more advanced units come with the benefits of earlier unique units, to which the answer is no they do not. So you do want to stockpile your UU before you obsolete them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I believe he's asking if more advanced units come with the benefits of earlier unique units, to which the answer is no they do not. So you do want to stockpile your UU before you obsolete them.
Ah, yeah this. Okay cool, just got randomed into Aztecs and am surrounded by SHITLOADS of Jungles so I guess I'm just gonna crank out Jaguars until I have enough.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I guess so. I just feel so cheated because I"m doing so well in every aspect, but here he is. All his CS bro's gonna vote him leader.

And this is SERIOUSLY pissing me off. Brazil and him are NOT super best buds and have differing ideologies. However, Brazil is putting a defensive barrier of HIS units around ALEX'S units so I can't directly assault Alex's capital. It's all but reduced, but Brazil keeps putting his BS units in the way so I can't wage war effectively against Alex. Is this intentional?

Nukes are always the answer. At the very least he will be elected the leader of an uninhabitable ruin of a world

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cams posted:

Is there a website or something that works as a reference to see all the things that interact with a certain resource in Civ? Like, say I start out with a shitload of deserts near me, I can look up all the things that take advantage of or interact with deserts?

I'm not aware of one, but that sounds like an awesome idea. I can see a really nice infographic coming out of that.

This game lends itself well to infographics I think, but I've not seen anyone make any really.

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of deserts, does Desert Folklore's bonus apply to floodplain tiles as well? I imagine it does, but the civilopedia is next to useless for this kind of question. Sorry if this has been addressed before, I've been reading the thread but haven't seen it mentioned.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Yeah, that's why it's so good.

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Oh wow, that's awesome. I'm playing on a huge Earth map as Babylon, mega FP start with 3 wheat...this city is going to grow like a weed and crank out faith like crazy.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Huh. Here's an idea; to capture a capital early on with virtually no effort, go poo poo a city out right on their border (Assuming there's actually a good spot. If not, wait for them to settle one and take it, you can always raze it later). Take a great general and make a great citadel two tiles from the capital. Fortify a warrior or spearman on it, then declare war. They will probably never take that tile. Build whatever units you need to in order to knock down their walls and take their city, they will just continue to hammer on that citadel uselessly.

e: Holy poo poo the AI suddenly grew a brain and attacked my trebuchet instead of my 45% health swordsman. :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I forgot how deceptively powerful the Iroquois were. An iron-free swordsman and maintenance-free city connections (potentially) with extra production from forests. I'm seriously cleaning house.

Fun theme game idea: have everyone with special movement powers in one game. Iroquois, Inca, Carthage, Zulu (their promotion gives +1 movement), England, Polynesia, Denmark. Call it the Freestyle Race.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Speedball posted:

Fun theme game idea: have everyone with special movement powers in one game. Iroquois, Inca, Carthage, Zulu (their promotion gives +1 movement), England, Polynesia, Denmark. Call it the Freestyle Race.

Your forgot Persia.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

thehumandignity posted:

e: Holy poo poo the AI suddenly grew a brain and attacked my trebuchet instead of my 45% health swordsman. :stare:

Huh, in my experience the AI always prioritizes killing siege units.

On an unrelated note, I love the way goons never refer to "settling" cities or "building" units, but only to making GBS threads or puking them :allears:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Time for some :argh:

I really wish they'd do something about how powerful city-states are even still, it seems like there's no reason to not pick Patronage every game since trade routes give you a ton of money almost no matter what and city-states give you a ton of bonuses from research and a crapload of extra happiness to free Great Persons. Plus you get to use the world congress however you see fit especially since it's Patronage that unlocks the Forbidden Palace. Which then gives you an almost free victory at the end if you dominate in city-states even if you're six eras behind everyone else because the vote triggers as soon as someone enters Information Era.

And don't even get me started about Arsenal of Democracy, it basically means the dull spamming of cheap units just for the purpose of feeding them to the city-states is not only viable but crazy powerful. Barring some sort of gentleman's agreement, in multiplayer this means that not picking Patronage and Freedom puts you at a disadvantage and lategame consists mainly of everyone tediously feeding unit after unit to city-states to keep up with influence. In single player the AIs barely do anything to stop you unless you happen to get Alexander and even then I was easily able to get Allies with every city-state in the world.

I'd really rather not remove them entirely especially since a bunch of civs rely on them and so do a lot of social policies and tenets, but I'm not sure what else to do that doesn't include intentionally gimping myself in every game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Guildencrantz posted:

On an unrelated note, I love the way goons never refer to "settling" cities or "building" units, but only to making GBS threads or puking them :allears:

I think that's just a scale thing. I'll settle a couple of cities, but Hiawatha will poo poo them out everywhere. :v:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm actually not sure how a siege unit is supposed to be of any use that way until you get artillery. They've always been useful to me before because you move in an infantry unit, fortify it, and the city continually attacks that while your siege unit chips away at it. Or a line of archers, whatever. I just conquered that city, but it was only because I simply had so many units: two trebuchet, three galleasses, and two crossbowmen. They completely ignored my swordsmen and focused solely on the ranged units. They killed one unit each turn, first taking out the siege units, then two of the galleasses before turning on the crossbows. I've never seen anything like it.

Actually now I'm wondering if it's because of the citadel that the AI suddenly stopped being retarded. I'll reload an autosave and test.

Guildencrantz posted:

Yes, and you never "conquer" cities, you eat them. Which lends to some unfortunate implications.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Speedball posted:

I forgot how deceptively powerful the Iroquois were. An iron-free swordsman and maintenance-free city connections (potentially) with extra production from forests. I'm seriously cleaning house.

Iroquois is one of my favorite Civs. I love having swordsmen that don't require iron. Makes for great rushes!

In other news, had a Byzantium Faithapalooza Culture game go horribly wrong when Monty (who else) came and murdered my outlying cities. It's my own fault though, I focused too hard on wonders early and didn't build much of an army so when he rolled up with his catapults and hundreds of jaguars I was pretty boned.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Finished my first ever game of Civ. Arabia got diplomatic victory through votes from city states just as I was massing forces to attack :doh:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

thehumandignity posted:

Actually now I'm wondering if it's because of the citadel that the AI suddenly stopped being retarded. I'll reload an autosave and test.

Well, it didn't change anything. I was able to save most of my units, though, by coaxing the garrisoned galleass and composite bowmen out and killing them. Seems the AI isn't totally retarded regarding siege warfare now.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kanfy posted:

Time for some :argh:

I'd really rather not remove them entirely especially since a bunch of civs rely on them and so do a lot of social policies and tenets, but I'm not sure what else to do that doesn't include intentionally gimping myself in every game.

I really wish that they'd either 1) give you diminishing CS returns or increased decay per ally, and/or 2) have fixed city-state politics where they won't just ask you to bully each other, but get pissed if you ally with their enemies or whatever. As it is, it's just something to do once you hit 500 gold.

You could try increasing their number to maximum, so it's harder to reach a majority... or turn off the diplomatic victory option.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
As far as I can tell, if you're attacking a city, several things can mess up your mostly reliable "send in a melee unit with cover 2 and hunker down" strategy.

1. LOS: a city ignores any and all LOS rules. In effect, it is indirect fire range 2 with its own territory as a spotter. Units garrisoned in the city follow normal LOS. If your distraction is someplace that say, a newly minted or garrisoned archer cannot reach, it will choose a different target, which is quite often something you don't want targeted. This can snowball, because your "protected" unit is now wounded, and thus a higher priority target.

2. Tech/power disparity: if your ranged units are getting a little long in the tooth, then the AI may shoot at your archers instead of your invulnerable god-man melee unit. The AI likes to go for sure kills. If it can kill a full health ranged unit in one shot, or with concentrated fire, it will. This is why siege units are especially terrible, with their lack of terrain bonuses and just being weak to start with.

3. The whims of the dark god of the RNG.

This is just through casual observation, so no actual code or number crunching.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So a couple days ago or something I talked about how I was going piety for the first time pretty much ever, and that I've built a faith monster of a religion: I took stone circles since I started with lots of stone, then pilgrimage, mosques, holy warriors, and itinerant preachers. Between mosques, stone circles, my shrines and temples, and pilgrimage, I shot up to 100 faith per turn, which basically allowed me to poo poo out a kris swordsmen almost every turn until the cost shot up after I reached the renaissance era.

Since my capital city is coincidentally very centrally located amongst the continents most of my neighbours are on, my religion started spreading to other landmasses really quickly, then itinerant preachers kicked in and Islam was spreading like wildfire.

Now that I've actually started throwing my weight around and taking poo poo from people, I'm confronted with the really disconcerting notion that every time I conquer a city, and thus cause it to lose roughly half its population, I take a small hit to my FPT, reflecting all the pilgrims from foreign lands to my holy city that my holy warriors are now butchering. :gonk:

Pvt.Scott posted:

2. Tech/power disparity: if your ranged units are getting a little long in the tooth, then the AI may shoot at your archers instead of your invulnerable god-man melee unit. The AI likes to go for sure kills. If it can kill a full health ranged unit in one shot, or with concentrated fire, it will. This is why siege units are especially terrible, with their lack of terrain bonuses and just being weak to start with.

That makes sense. Everything on the field was medieval or even renaissance era except my Kris Swordsmen, whom I have kept deliberately stunted because I don't particularly need anything stronger and I want to preserve as many of their (good) unique promotions as possible.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 28, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I correct in my observation that internal trade routes (as in, a caravan between two cities you own) doesn't actually transfer food or production, but in fact materializes extra for the receiving city while taking none away from the source city?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I correct in my observation that internal trade routes (as in, a caravan between two cities you own) doesn't actually transfer food or production, but in fact materializes extra for the receiving city while taking none away from the source city?

Yes. :iiam:

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Half of Dracula posted:

Mecca can't really make use of Petra... but my second city will take far too long to make it. Is it better to take Petra out of spite? All my worked desert tiles are actually floodplains and I'm sure Ramses could find a use for it (that rear end in a top hat).

Spite, and also it gives you a free trade route, which is 5-30 gpt for the rest of the game.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Any wonder which includes the words 'extra trade route' is at worst pretty good. I would build petra in your case. It is money, or an infusion of food or hammers to one of your own cities.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Marketing New Brain posted:

He's abusing the Wat bug, where you can purchase a university with faith from the reformation belief Jesuit Education and then still build Wats as Siam. Hardly game breaking since it is very unlikely the AI goes piety and takes exactly that reformation belief as Ramkamwhatever. And as the player you can just not abuse it.

Yeah, I was just testing it out to see how insane it was.

Currently I have just finished the Giant Death Robot tech, the ai on average isn't even in the industrial era yet. :psyduck:

Mind you, all my cities do have 4 scientist specialists and I do have 3 cities next to a mountain for observatory as well.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, I was just testing it out to see how insane it was.

Currently I have just finished the Giant Death Robot tech, the ai on average isn't even in the industrial era yet. :psyduck:

Mind you, all my cities do have 4 scientist specialists and I do have 3 cities next to a mountain for observatory as well.

I was just saying I have no idea what 500 bpt represents because I don't play on that game speed. That could've been slow for all I know.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thehumandignity posted:

I'm actually not sure how a siege unit is supposed to be of any use that way until you get artillery. They've always been useful to me before because you move in an infantry unit, fortify it, and the city continually attacks that while your siege unit chips away at it. Or a line of archers, whatever. I just conquered that city, but it was only because I simply had so many units: two trebuchet, three galleasses, and two crossbowmen. They completely ignored my swordsmen and focused solely on the ranged units. They killed one unit each turn, first taking out the siege units, then two of the galleasses before turning on the crossbows. I've never seen anything like it.

It seems inconsistent, sometimes an AI will target my siege, sometimes they'll target my obvious bait. Attacking the city with the bait in order to damage it help, as the AI loves to prioritize weakened units. Otherwise they still may target siege if they think they can kill a siege unit in one turn. Siege is still useful even when the AI is singling it out if you bring large volume. Bring four Trebuchets, one or two might die but you'll have enough time to capture the city and you should be building more to make up for it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 28, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just had a weird game, I was playing Arabia and spreading my religion out nicely. Nobody else was founding any up to the renaissance then suddenly in the span of 30 turns every religion is founded and has a reformation belief added shortly after. Is it common for 4 AI's to go full piety and just not get a religion until way late?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Bashez posted:

I was just saying I have no idea what 500 bpt represents because I don't play on that game speed. That could've been slow for all I know.

The tile yields are the same as standard, the techs have just increased in cost iirc.

So it's about as hilarious as 500bpt on standard before the Renaissance.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems inconsistent, sometimes an AI will target my siege, sometimes they'll target my obvious bait. Attacking the city with the bait in order to damage it help, as the AI loves to prioritize weakened units. Otherwise they still may target siege if they think they can kill a siege unit in one turn. Siege is still useful even when the AI is singling it out if you bring large volume. Bring four Trebuchets, one or two might day but you'll have enough time to capture the city and you should be building more to make up for it.

Yeah, I have just literally never seen it happen this way before, because I almost always prioritise advancing my front-line infantry units, because everyone knows infantry lead the way. :911:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I just had a weird game, I was playing Arabia and spreading my religion out nicely. Nobody else was founding any up to the renaissance then suddenly in the span of 30 turns every religion is founded and has a reformation belief added shortly after. Is it common for 4 AI's to go full piety and just not get a religion until way late?

Yeah. I've met several civs that haven't even founded pantheons yet who are 4 policies into piety, the AI is a bit stupid with religion.

Also Kamehameha can get hosed, such a bastard he will never stay friends as he cannot resist coveting lands, even if I'm a fair distance away.
Does anyone have that table of AI numbers? I'd like to see what polynesia's are and if it explains how much he loving wants my lands.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I also had a game recently where Babylon had gotten a Great Prophet and used it on a holy site, while he didn't have a religion and there were still religion slots available too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Can't seem to find any resource on this:

Does using the Steam Cloud for saves add a turn limit? Based on my experience, it's been adding a 330 turn limit on multiplayer games, but I did not see any such addition on a single player game. Yet it just ended at turn 330.

I guess I don't need to use Steam Cloud as I only play on one computer, but ugh. UGH, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pleads posted:

Can't seem to find any resource on this:

Does using the Steam Cloud for saves add a turn limit? Based on my experience, it's been adding a 330 turn limit on multiplayer games, but I did not see any such addition on a single player game. Yet it just ended at turn 330.

I guess I don't need to use Steam Cloud as I only play on one computer, but ugh. UGH, I say.

Turn 330 wouldn't happen to be the year 2050 would it?

• Locked thread