Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ShufflerZero posted:

Here's the poster I've seen more often for this movie. I think it's much better, but it's still missing THE GUY THAT'S ACTUALLY IN THE MOVIE!

That poster really doesn't do the movie justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC58N_Uwec0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ho Chi Mint posted:

That poster really doesn't do the movie justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC58N_Uwec0

It's Chang before he retires and goes back to Bangkok.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

Death Dream does have a pretty good poster

I really like this movie but that is like the dictionary definition of false advertising.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ShufflerZero posted:

Captures that terrifying instant before you sneeze and jam comes out of your helmet

Holy poo poo, why can't I stop laughing at this one?

"Oh, darn it to heck! The squeezable jam spread I keep in my helmet broke open! :froggonk:"

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Young Freud posted:

It's Chang before he retires and goes back to Bangkok.

The Member's only jacket really sells it.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

achillesforever6 posted:

It's like the weirdest fan fiction of John Cassavetes' "Faces" ever.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

I know a number of people who were on the crew for this one, so I saw an early cut of it. Unless they made some major changes, nothing happening on that poster even comes close to happening in the movie.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I think I finally found the best of that Mondo sorta vector style.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

I think I finally found the best of that Mondo sorta vector style.

It doesn't look half bad, but it really should be more a blue and red color scheme than blue and orange.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I wish it had more colors in general. That movie has a lot of colors.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's Hideous Sun Demon.

It underwent a few changes in marketing. For instance, this poster for Mexico, which chose to lighten it up a little.

note the man with the foreheads of two men

There's also one featuring what's presumably the biggest draw of the film, since they chose to minimize the original design to the corner to make room for the scene.

But then a recent re-release decided to just throw any pretenses about not being a silly creature feature out the window.

And then, somehow, it spawned a sequel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

achillesforever6 posted:

Well that's a dumb looking piece of OH MY GOD

EDIT: Bob Clark directed it! He made the excellent "Murder by Decree" and the not so excellent "Porky's."

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Finally got this over the weekend

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Darthemed posted:

And then, somehow, it spawned a sequel.

Why is Jay Leno referenced on this cover?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

Why is Jay Leno referenced on this cover?

It was a What's Up Tiger Lily style redub of the original, and Leno was one of the voices.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So that's THE Cam Clarke's name?!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Well that's a dumb looking piece of OH MY GOD

EDIT: Bob Clark directed it! He made the excellent "Murder by Decree" and the not so excellent "Porky's."

Reading a synopsis of the movie, it actually sounds like a decent film: a Vietnam veteran, shot in the head and believed dead, comes home as a sort of vampire thanks to a wish from his mother.

Waffleman_ posted:

So that's THE Cam Clarke's name?!

Yeah, supposedly he's the son of Robert Clarke, who directed and starred in the film.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 30, 2013

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dick Trauma posted:

A Christmas Story, too, if I'm not mistaken.

...and Baby Geniuses.

So he basically gets the prize for least consistent filmography, quality-wise.

blahshi
Apr 29, 2009

ShufflerZero posted:

Points off for no jam

"If you go down to the woods alone....."

Could they not come up with a conclusion to that dramatic statement? Does it make it SCARIER!?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

Finally got this over the weekend

God that is a beaut, and one of my girlfriend's favorite movies. Any suggestions on finding another?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PJOmega posted:

God that is a beaut, and one of my girlfriend's favorite movies. Any suggestions on finding another?

Go to virtually any poster seller? It's not exactly a hard item to find.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

blahshi posted:

"If you go down to the woods alone....."

Could they not come up with a conclusion to that dramatic statement? Does it make it SCARIER!?

Well, I guess she could be seen as a bit surprised (more scared really). I don't think she's disguised though, but the poster doesn't make it clear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Freud posted:

Reading a synopsis of the movie, it actually sounds like a decent film: a Vietnam veteran, shot in the head and believed dead, comes home as a sort of vampire thanks to a wish from his mother.

It is, it's a really cool movie.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

A Christmas Story, too, if I'm not mistaken.

...and Baby Geniuses.

So he basically gets the prize for least consistent filmography, quality-wise.

He also directed Black Christmas, still one of the best (and many contend, the first) slashers ever made.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Poster for the UK cinema release of Upstream Colour. They've kept it the same but slapped on a load of pointless blue crap.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Young Freud posted:

Yeah basically its an adaptation of The Monkey's Paw. With a little Romero esque social commentary.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I watched it about a year ago based on a recommendation from a podcast, and it's actually pretty good, so long as you can handle the "PTSD as a monster" metaphor.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

cloudchamber posted:

Poster for the UK cinema release of Upstream Colour. They've kept it the same but slapped on a load of pointless blue crap.

It's not really pointless in the context of the movie. It's pretty central, actually.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wow, Steve Buscemi... got real ugly.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Two new posters from Mondo for Guillermo del Toro films. Both films I really liked.

As soon as I say the Cronos one I thought - that looks like a Mike Mignola ripoff. Turns out it is Mike Mignola, and the Devil's Backbone is Guy Davis, who I think is already an artist for the Hellboy comics.

I quite like both of them, but I really like Hellboy style art, and if I didn't already have a Mignola print, I might look into getting one ripped off on ebay.

The Cronos one is nice and simple - but better than just slapping a clip art beetle in the middle of the page. I probably prefer the Devil's Backbone one. I particularly like the title lettering being deformed by the blood/smoke.

Do the artists pick a movie that they want to work on? I know Del Toro and Mignola reportedly got on really well when they worked on Hellboy (Both were adamant about recommending Ron Perlman before they'd even met) and their styles seem to compliment each other.

Doubtful Guest fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 30, 2013

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Doubtful Guest posted:

Two new posters from Mondo for Guillermo del Toro films. Both films I really liked.

As soon as I say the Cronos one I thought - that looks like a Mike Mignola ripoff. Turns out it is Mike Mignola, and the Devil's Backbone is Guy Davis, who I think is already an artist for the Hellboy comics.

I quite like both of them, but I really like Hellboy style art, and if I didn't already have a Mignola print, I might look into getting [strike]one[/strike] ripped off on ebay.

The Cronos one is nice and simple - but better than just slapping a clip art beetle in the middle of the page. I probably prefer the Devil's Backbone one. I particularly like the title lettering being deformed by the blood/smoke.

Do the artists pick a movie that they want to work on? I know Del Toro and Mignola reportedly got on really well when they worked on Hellboy (Both were adamant about recommending Ron Perlman before they'd even met) and their styles seem to compliment each other.
Isn't that Cronos poster just the Criterion DVD cover?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Frostwerks posted:

Got?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

I think that's what he looks like.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

tofes posted:

So it is. :shrug: The one I have just has a photo of the 'bug' climbing up some woman's neck.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

tofes posted:

They both are, Criterion just released The Devil's Backbone, and that's the cover.

AndyP fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 30, 2013

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Looks like Mondo is releasing the same artwork as a poster tomorrow for both of them. I'm considering it. They're both better than the previous Mondo releases for those movies.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

Who likes minimalist posters? IS IT YOU? YOU DAMNED RIGHT YOU DO

http://imgur.com/gallery/IAD8x

LOOK AT ALL OF THESE QUALITY POSTERS

OH drat!

SEE? BECUASE

Ugh. How did this become a loving trend.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Also a U!

I'm surprised, I didn't think this was getting a theatrical release in this country. I was all set to import a DVD months from now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He also directed Black Christmas, still one of the best (and many contend, the first) slashers ever made.

Silent Night, Bloody Night beat it to the punch by a few months. Still, Black Christmas was a trailblazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Silent Night, Bloody Night beat it to the punch by a few months. Still, Black Christmas was a trailblazer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

Silent Night, Deadly Night is a loving masterpiece.