Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doubleposting because I'm proud of myself:
code:
=IF(AND(ISLOGICAL(SEARCH("Corvus Belli", L40)), P40=5), MAX(Y3:Y39)+1, 0)
...aaand this isn't working for some indiscernable reason.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I feel terrible saying this but, you're 2 minutes late. :negative:

Brushes down, everyone, July is over (in the UK)!

4 minutes too late, yes. I will let Krushgroove decide whether I can credit you for having a name in your oath complete post, since it's absent from the one that is in before the deadline.

Oh my poor husband :( sorry you had to take me out for a meal. Fwiw, I had an awesome time <3

Are we ok with editing previous posts as long as it was posted before the cutoff? I didn't want to accidentally disqualify myself, but equally I hate clogging up threads.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Namenlos posted:

Oh my poor husband :( sorry you had to take me out for a meal. Fwiw, I had an awesome time <3

Are we ok with editing previous posts as long as it was posted before the cutoff? I didn't want to accidentally disqualify myself, but equally I hate clogging up threads.

Generally, you should not edit your Oath Complete post after the final oath deadline, unless I or krushgroove explicitly asks you to. That ensures that one or the other of us confirms that we've seen your unedited post, and therefore can vouch that you met the deadline with everything required.

I have, for example, asked people to edit into their post things like their requests to be credit for a particular bonus.

What I haven't generally done is allowed people to update their actual oath complete photo; the issue there is, in theory, a person could alter their paintjob (given extra time), and then post an updated photo with better painting in it. If I didn't have an amazing memory of the original oath complete photo, I probably wouldn't notice such a change, and it could give someone the unfair advantage of extra time to paint their guys.

With a full month, of course, a few minutes shouldn't make a difference, but a lot of people leave their work to the end (like me, I'm a terrible procrastinator) and they shouldn't get extra time after the end of the month to do more painting work.

In practice, I doubt anyone would try to cheat like that, really. But there's prizes with monetary value on the line, and I feel a duty to our sponsors and to everyone in the thread to be as fair as I possibly can. (In a few cases that means being mean, such as denying your poor husband his oath complete points for being two minutes late. I hate to do that, but if I bend the rules for one person, I have to bend them for everyone, and then we don't have a deadline any more.)

Here's what I'd like you to do: go ahead and edit in updated photo(s) with your username in them. But, don't remove any of the photos that are already in the post. This way, krushgroove can grab the ones with names in, but everyone - judges and contestants alike - can clearly see you've not tried to change your models in any way. Let me know when you've done that and I can credit you for the point.

e. Also:

Leperflesh posted:

Doubleposting because I'm proud of myself:
code:
=IF(AND(ISLOGICAL(SEARCH("Corvus Belli", L40)), P40=5), MAX(Y3:Y39)+1, 0)
...aaand this isn't working for some indiscernable reason.

OK, so ISLOGICAL doesn't work, but ISNUMBER does! This means numbers, uh, aren't logical, in Google Sheets' bizarro-world!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 1, 2013

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
:siren: I oath 1x Icarus lascannon and 1x Quad-gun:siren: by GW

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Individual pictures now that I'm almost awake and stuff, and can remember things like 'press the macro button'-

Chaos Knight of nonspecific diety-

Chaos Knight of Khorne-

Chaos Knight of Slaanesh-

Chaos Knight of Nurgle-

Chaos Knight of Tzeentch-

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Leperfish, I swapped his head positioning, arm positioning for the gun (to make it more flat) and cut and rotated his leg at the hip and knee to give him a more dynamic pose up on the rock.

Do you want me to edit the original post or will posting a picture here of how he looks stock okay?

Edit: Added to my original post.

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Brock Samsonite posted:

Leperfish, I swapped his head positioning, arm positioning for the gun (to make it more flat) and cut and rotated his leg at the hip and knee to give him a more dynamic pose up on the rock.

Do you want me to edit the original post or will posting a picture here of how he looks stock okay?

Alright, I've got you credited. Yes, please edit this photo into your Oath Complete post, along with the description you just wrote of the conversion work. Don't remove or alter the existing photos in your oath complete post, though. Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NOTICE:

There was an error on the June spreadsheet. Somehow, the row for Rikthor got moved from row 52, to row 81. I have just fixed it.

This did not affect prize draws for any month, nor did it affect the bimonthly sheets. It definitely affected the points totals sheets, since those do lookups across multiple other sheets: anyone between rows 52 and 81 would have had a potentially incorrect total displayed (because the totals grabbed the wrong set of points for June).

I don't know when this error was introduced (it's easy to accidentally drag a row to the wrong place when attempting to select entire rows, which I now avoid doing). I'll reiterate that it could not have affected anything important up to now, but it's a good thing I caught it before doing the quarterly drawings.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, an absolute FLURRY of activity, and oaths for August already! I suppose that means only one thing...a new Detektuv's Jurnal!

So’s now we find ourself wanderin’ outsides dis city where I gots me arm fixed. Still lookin fo dis Loknar ting, and we gots no idears where we is! Oi gots ta fink bout where it could be so’s oi can get back ta me bottle- oi mean office!

I hooked a lift wiv some blokes headed out of town, but we had a disagreement when oi told em they could give me da trukk fo nuthink, so they chucked me out. So now we’s walkin and oi come across dis maze...stretchin' as far as oi can see! Nothin ta do but get troo it I guess, but it takes us ages oi tell ya! Der waz mud and dust and ‘oo knows wot else all gooped up in der...no way to get a wash, not that I'm bothered!

O well! Now that oi’m out oi’s just gotta walk where oi need to be. Where dis Loknar ting seems to be leading me...hopefully it's to a shower, oi'm jus' covered in gunk and dirt!

This month’s theme: WEATHERING! All you have to do is make your model look haggard, used and abused for this month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal. Mud, dust, rust, soot and more, it’s all fair game! Damage from weapons is NOT applicable, although you can use features like bullet holes, etc. as a focal point for the weathering on your model. Break out those brown and orange paints, or even have a try with some weathering powders!

And remember, the judges will be giving 1 point EACH for the best Weathering done this month!

If you don’t want to do this Detektuv’s Jurnal or you just can’t see a way to do it on your chosen model(s), you can do any previous Jurnal to earn 1 point this month (instead of the 2 for doing the August Jurnal), but your Jurnal entry won’t be eligible for points from the judges.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

This month’s theme: WEATHERING! All you have to do is make your model look haggard, used and abused for this month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal. Mud, dust, rust, soot and more, it’s all fair game!

Damnit, if only I'd have kept my base for this month instead of July.. that was my first excuse to break out the pigments in a while :doh:

Sounds good though, always love an excuse to weather something up a bit.. now I just need to pick something to paint up :)

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I credited you for Fly Your Flag here on the belief that you handpainted this flag. Please let me know if I was wrong.

I did paint it myself, yep! I forgot about the flag bonus, so thanks for adding it for me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Damnit, if only I'd have kept my base for this month instead of July.. that was my first excuse to break out the pigments in a while :doh:

Sounds good though, always love an excuse to weather something up a bit.. now I just need to pick something to paint up :)

Yeah it's hard keeping my trap shut because all the skill challenges ('Detektuv's Jurnals') are all planned ahead of time to go along with the story of Mr Green, but at least weathering is something that can be applied to just about every gaming model. I know modifying a model can't be easily done by most of the participants, so it can take some planning, and I'm glad we're onto a more accessible challenge this month. Even a bone-white Infinity model or super-clean Tron-style Tau suit can look a bit better with some soot around a rifle barrel!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it's hard keeping my trap shut because all the skill challenges ('Detektuv's Jurnals') are all planned ahead of time to go along with the story of Mr Green, but at least weathering is something that can be applied to just about every gaming model. I know modifying a model can't be easily done by most of the participants, so it can take some planning, and I'm glad we're onto a more accessible challenge this month. Even a bone-white Infinity model or super-clean Tron-style Tau suit can look a bit better with some soot around a rifle barrel!

there may be one kind of model that'll be hard to add weathering to... I give you the challenge of weathering 6mm infantry ;)

edit: I wasn't planning on doing any 6mm infantry this month, thank god! :D

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Hey, I think I am getting the hang of this oath thing... 3/3 so far... But NOVA is in 28 days? Someone didn't plan appropriately....

I, Zhent, oath... these!

That is 12 Ravenwing Bikes - 5 Ravenwing Command, 7 Ravenwing Black Knights, from Games Workshop. There is one model primed white, and all the bikes are primed black.

The other models that I have to paint - because some of them have some slight paint on them in places, they don't qualify for the Oath per se, but since they all have to be done by August 28, I took a picture anyways...

24 models. 28 days. While planning a wedding. No problem.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, having failed my painting brothers last month, do solemnly swear to erase the stain on my honor by painting this month:

1 metal (Joms)Viking Warlord and 40 plastic Vikings (12 Hirdmen, 16 Bondi, 12 Thrall slingers) :black101:

They are (supposedly) 28mm scale and come from Gripping Beast/GBPlastics/GBP/Renedra/Wargames Factory. Note that I'm only oathing 41 complete Vikings and not extra arms and other random poo poo present on their sprues.

(also, I swear to clean my screen this month :barf:)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
And regarding this month's theme, does chipped paint on a power armor count? That might determine my Infinity ingredient.

VVV: Oh, and the quarterly requirement too? gently caress you penal squad, you're not getting armor maintenance this month :china:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 1, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pierzak posted:

And regarding this month's theme, does chipped paint on a power armor count? That might determine my Infinity ingredient.

Yes, chipped paint, mud, rust, dust, dirt, spatter, gun soot, exhaust smoke...and stuff like that is all fair game. Just make it obvious in some way on at least one of the models done this month and you're in.

Apologies to folks asking about the battle damage a couple of months ago, the reason why I was a bit specific about the battle damage 'requirements' was because I knew this weathering challenge was coming up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PRIZE UPDATE

Here is a quick notice about a particular quarterly prize: the quarterly Infinity prize. I noticed that the OPs never really specified eligibility for this one. After discussion with krushgroove, we've determined that eligibility should be the same as for all other quarterly prizes: that is, you just have to complete all three oaths, with all three 2-point monthly Jurnals, and you're eligible to win.

This is different from the monthly Infinity models, where you have to actually complete an Infinity model as part of your oath in order to be eligible for the monthly drawing.

We think this makes the most sense, because the quarterly prizes are "starter boxes": probably just the thing to get you into the game from Corvus Belli! That seems like what our sponsor might prefer, and it also means more people are eligible to win things, which is always cool.

As always, I will give it a couple days before I do the drawings, just to give everyone a chance to check your data on the spreadsheet and confirm that you've gotten what you deserve.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath that I will paint this GW Eldar Heavy Weapon Platform Team

2x Eldar Guardians, and 1 Eldar Heavy Weapon Platform with all five weapon options

Awwww, it's a baby!
Not only is this my first oath, these are the first 3 minis I have ever assembled, and this will be the first model of any kind I have painted in almost 15 years

Themed Group: Aside from matching my planned army theme of glow in the dark Yme-Loc (Orange/Grey), after assembly I noticed the mask with visor looked like Daft Punk, so my Platform will in fact be manned by Daft Punk.

I think my Eldar might be too pretty for Detektuv's Jurnal, but I'll try.

Edit: Clarified Themed Group

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 1, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Sounds like a good excuse for some rusty-rear end weapons for the orcish war party I'm planning. I'll get my AP up shortly.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, Oath 10 GW Men at Arms and 4 GW Peasent Trebuchet Crewmen for the month of August!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Does weathering just mean rust and mud, or could I include scorch marks? I am thinking about stripping and completely repainting a drop pod. Not really keen on the idea of a rust/dirty pod, but there being scorch marks from the jets and such sounds pretty cool to me.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I, Dagon, oath 5 GW Tau Drones (2 Gun, 3 Marker) for August

Taking it easy this month, since babby is due tomorrow.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Egyptian-style Floating Lich! It's another Reaper Bones mini from the kickstarter, 28mm. I've trimmed his base a bit to correct an upright-angle issue, but it's currently otherwise unprimed.

Due to his ancient and crappy eldritch nature, this guy will be a great showcase for the Detektuv's Jurnal: Weathering!
(Please excuse the awful cellphone pic; I'm at work. On the plus side, I'm so excited about this month's oath that I'm oathing from work!)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

For the month of August, I, Neonchameleon oath to paint a double vampire collection of rats.

Edit: Also what counts as painting for translucents? I'm only planning a couple of yellow and orange washes on the fires, and to pick out things like bones on the spectres?

Edit 2: Themed group (24 rats + 4 rat swarms. FML). Plus rats/decay (although not sure how to bring that out too clearly).

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 1, 2013

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath Magnus the Traitor, Master Ascetic Naaresh, and 6 Cataphract Incindiarii from Privateer Press for the month of August.

It's a Themed group!

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 1, 2013

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp

Germ posted:

@Android - Wonderful painting as usual, but by all that's unholy and vile, please let me teach you to use a lightbox!

@Namenlos - PRETTY! This one's got everything. Tasteful NMM, freehand, and I love the photo background, as well.

@Leperflesh - I'm missing the themed group check for July's oath.

I do have a rudimentary light box I've been using. Although obviously it hasn't been doing me any favors since my wip pictures using my phone are looking better than my final ones. I'll take any tips you can offer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I, thespaceinvader, do hereby oath one Kraash, Storm Shaman, 3 Orc Smashers, 1 Cave Bear from Wrath of Ashardalon by Wizards of the Coast for the month of August.

Claiming a themed group here - the orc war party with their pet cave bear.

The colours are the different coloured plastics the minis are made from. Now they need some scrubbing down and priming.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I'm Oath Failed for last month. I oathed too late and the heat and a penchant for falling asleep when I got in from work did for me. I'd completed the Flails and had a little detailing to do last night and I just fell asleep and didn't finish. It will, however, be a very quick Save Da Whales. I'm also going to finally sort out a proper light box this weekend and stop taking such lovely pictures.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

neonchameleon posted:

Edit: Also what counts as painting for translucents? I'm only planning a couple of yellow and orange washes on the fires, and to pick out things like bones on the spectres?
Hey, it's paint, right? And you'll be painting it on, right? Sounds like painting to me! :)

Android posted:

I do have a rudimentary light box I've been using. Although obviously it hasn't been doing me any favors since my wip pictures using my phone are looking better than my final ones. I'll take any tips you can offer.
If you have the lightbox already, best thing you can do is put two lights on either side, outside the box, but angled so the light is going through the translucent material of the lightbox. Make sure the lights are in front of the model so it's not backlit. Adjust the exposure in your camera if you can so the lights aren't 'blowing out' the whites (for an example of this blowing out see my Oath Complete pictures I just posted). Set your camera to macro or play with the manual settings and just experiment. Once you know the settings you need you can always just use the same lights, same setup, the same approximate distance (adjust for single models or larger groups) and you're all good.

Thundercloud posted:

I'm also going to finally sort out a proper light box this weekend and stop taking such lovely pictures.

There's a bunch of links in the OP about setting up a photo area or building a lightbox, just do a Control-F for 'light' and you should find it pretty quick.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I, Dr. Red Ranger, do herebytoforthwith oath to paint these two extra GAMES WORKSHOP CHAOS TERMINATORS to complete the squad I started for my last oath.

I do have a question this time. What exactly are the requirements for claiming Themed group? I didn't claim it last time because I wasn't sure that "belongs to the same squad and color scheme" wouldn't be too simple to count. I'd like to try weathering for the journal points, but I'm not familiar with any techniques and I would have to go back and apply the same effect to my previous 3 dudes so the unit was more cohesive.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath 5 Deathwing Knights and a Dark Angels Razorback from Games Workshop

Germ
May 7, 2013

Android posted:

If you'll be out this Tuesday, try and bring whatever rig you use (camera and lightbox). I'll bring mine and show you some tricks. Because I can't (or don't know how to) adjust the exposure on my little point-and-click, I use a timer, let it take the light reading while one of the lights is off the model, and then add the other light in after the reading has been taken, to essentially over-expose the image. I'm sure there's an easier way (particularly with a nice camera), but it works!

EDIT: Hell, for that matter, do you have a game lined up for Tuesday? I'd love to get one more game in before OFCC, and have never taken my Necrons vs. Orks before.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath for August three French machine gunners and one Renault FT:

Further, this is a Themed Group of WWII French soldiers. They're 28mm, the soldiers are Warlord Games and the Renault is (I belive) Copplestone Castings with some scratch-built parts (The muffler and upgunned 7.5mm Reibel machine gun). But what's that? I need five models for a 28mm Themed Group? Ok, well then

I, moths, oath for August three French machine gunners, one Renault FT, and this Char 2C:

/Sacrebleu!
:france:

The Char is also 28mm, from Warlord Games. The thing's a monster. (The second photo is my official Oath photo in case there's confusion.)

Gomo
Mar 26, 2012
I, Gomo, oath for August one GamesWorkshop 28 mm chaos space marine lord.

Feel lame only oathing one model but going on our honeymoon this month and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Might try to do an add on if I get super motivated.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I oath: Far too many rats.

Tonight I paint: Three and a half green translucent spectral thingies. (For anyone wondering whether to paint theirs, do so. Simple washes make a spectacular difference to that green mass).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

neonchameleon posted:

I oath: Far too many rats.

Tonight I paint: Three and a half green translucent spectral thingies. (For anyone wondering whether to paint theirs, do so. Simple washes make a spectacular difference to that green mass).

Do washes hold on the green bones or do you need to matte them first?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Argh, I was going to oath a thing, but I went and applied a black wash to the primer before taking starting pics.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do washes hold on the green bones or do you need to matte them first?

They hold. Unless they slip off by tomorrow morning. I'm just using watered down P3 paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

neonchameleon posted:

They hold. Unless they slip off by tomorrow morning. I'm just using watered down P3 paints.

I only ask because the white bones reportedly bead up washes or very thin paints unless you basecoat them first. Good to know.

• Locked thread