Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Seraphic Gate is totally worth doing, also. Don't pass it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nate RFB posted:

I got VP2 to run mostly fine to my recollection after using the GSdx-Cutie plugin suggested here and cycling through some of the interlacing options with F5. It is a very finicky game to get to work though.
Was VP2 the game where you were absolutely not supposed to save state, since the process of saving and loading let the game fix the minor corruptions that came up over time, so if you just save stated you'd eventually get to a point where it crashed 100% of the time?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That's definitely how VP1 worked, so I'd expect VP2 to be similar.

e: You could totally savestate in VP1 but doing it to the exclusion of hard saving would lead the game to crashing unavoidably.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Was VP2 the game where you were absolutely not supposed to save state, since the process of saving and loading let the game fix the minor corruptions that came up over time, so if you just save stated you'd eventually get to a point where it crashed 100% of the time?
It definitely crashed every now and then for me while save stating.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fronz posted:

That's definitely how VP1 worked, so I'd expect VP2 to be similar.

e: You could totally savestate in VP1 but doing it to the exclusion of hard saving would lead the game to crashing unavoidably.
That was what I meant, must have been thinking of VP1. It wasn't "can't savestate" so much as "don't, because you'll end up doing it all the time out of laziness, and then have no outs."

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Yes, they're going to come down hard on a hobbyist that made maybe 300 carts and charged about what it cost him to make.

Dude's asking $55 a pop. This isn't charity or for the sake of gamers worldwide. This is gussied up bootlegging. If you want the same legitimacy, just buy a flash cart for less. Bonus is that at least the flash cart can potentially be used legally.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Poe posted:

Dude's asking $55 a pop. This isn't charity or for the sake of gamers worldwide. This is gussied up bootlegging. If you want the same legitimacy, just buy a flash cart for less. Bonus is that at least the flash cart can potentially be used legally.

How in the hell is a flash cart less expensive?

Look, this is no different than any other repro cart. The GBA has been dead for what? 7 years? Nintendo is not making nor losing profits on GBA games (they could if they started adding this poo poo to the eShop, but that's a separate discussion). Much like all the repros that exist for SNES and NES games that Nintendo made that are no longer in production. Most are only for games that never came out in the US with translations or for difficulty hacks or whatever. You find me a guy that's selling repro cartridges of a game on eShop or a game that already was released in the US for ridiculous prices, and I'll call him an rear end in a top hat right along with you. My only point is that Nintendo isn't going to hammer down on this any more than they did for any other repro or even the actual fan-translation, and if they did this would be a first.

I could maybe see it if the guy was charging $200 or something, but this isn't any pricier than any other repro cart, so either there is a specific underground mafia ensuring that repros of all kinds have $60 price points, or that's probably what it costs a person to make.

Regardless, this has gently caress all to do with RPGs, so maybe this discussion should be dropped.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've been trying and failing miserably since February to get into Neverwinter Nights 2. I can't do it. I just can't do it. IT'S SO BORING. I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING. Please someone tell me it gets better if I muscle my way through the opening hours. PLEASE. AGH.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've been trying and failing miserably since February to get into Neverwinter Nights 2. I can't do it. I just can't do it. IT'S SO BORING. I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING. Please someone tell me it gets better if I muscle my way through the opening hours. PLEASE. AGH.

It does but holy poo poo you're in it for the long haul. FF13? Ain't got poo poo on NWN2.

(I beat the campaign like twice. I sat through the first act like five times :smithicide:)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hop into the Mask of the Betrayer expansion. It is much better than the base game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hop into the Mask of the Betrayer expansion. It is much better than the base game.

Won't I need context for what's happening or does it stand alone pretty well?

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's pretty stand alone, it's in a completely different place with different characters, but main character is your character for NWN2 and there are some little references to NWN2. The Original Campaign does get a lot better once you are past Act 1, but Act 1 is way too long and completely terrible.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
All that said, while the writing is indeed better, the gameplay is just as slow and dish-water dull. If that's what was turning you off then you're not going to get much out of it. Also, the whole soul mechanic can jump off a cliff.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So I started playing Unchained Blades a year after I bought it since I'm working again and need something to kill time on the bus. The impression I'm getting so far is that it wants to be a "best of" kind of RPG, taking into account that it has resource gathering (Etrian Odyssey), a "sphere grid" system for gaining stats and new abilities (FF X) and random discussions with followers after battles that either have beneficial or detrimental effects (SMT). I am enjoying it, though.

One thing I'm not quite clear on though, do you need certain followers to be able to use certain magic/skills? I've been speccing Mari for her instrument skills and I just noticed that I can't use them because I don't have the correct Anima.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Basically what Nighteyedie and Kokoro Wish said. MotB will reference some things in the base game, but not enough to leave you lost. You might not even notice. You do end up meeting a former party member, but it is explained well enough.

As for the gameplay, it is also the same. They add some new classes and feats, but the combat is still the same. You also have to manage the soul hunger mechanic, but I never found it to be a bother. Basically you need to consume souls as the meter slowly drains as you travel and rest. You can even expend some soul power to use certain abilities. If it really bothers you, you can just fill it up using console commands.

iastudent posted:

One thing I'm not quite clear on though, do you need certain followers to be able to use certain magic/skills? I've been speccing Mari for her instrument skills and I just noticed that I can't use them because I don't have the correct Anima.

Yea you need to make sure your followers on that character have the appropriate type of anima to be able to use skills. Can be a pain when an uncommon or rare type of anima is on a low level follower that you can't afford to swap out, unless you want to lose access to a bunch of spells.

edit: vvvv No, the game is pretty much terrible with no redeeming qualities.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 6, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Picked up Crimson Gem Saga from the PSP's online store, because I'm generally a fan of Atlus, and it was on sale.

Ugh. The story is vaguely interesting (main character just graduated from guard school, gets sent off to work, quickly gets in over his head) but not nearly interesting enough to make up for how repetitive and dull the combat is. Plus, the enemies show up on the map, and if you don't run right into them, they'll ambush you, making the combat even worse because you have to spend a turn recovering from the initial damage.
It's also suffering from being compared to Gungnir, where complex combat is pretty much the focus, and which I picked up in the same sale.

Can anyone who's played particularly far in this tell me if the combat ever gets some twists to it, to make it something more than 'hammer attack/magic, heal afterwards'?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nothing about Crimson Gem Saga ever gets better. You can gain ten levels and enemies will still be humongous damage-sponges who take way too long to kill, so there's no sense of progression. And as you go further you'll get to experience the terrible maze-like dungeons where every room is the same (this is every dungeon), and the fact that every main quest is a tedious chain of fetch quests.

I wish you'd asked about the game before buying it, because it is sooooo baaaaaaad.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
One thing you won't know if you jump straight into motb is which of the 10 buffs you need to cast every fight.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wendell posted:

Nothing about Crimson Gem Saga ever gets better. You can gain ten levels and enemies will still be humongous damage-sponges who take way too long to kill, so there's no sense of progression. And as you go further you'll get to experience the terrible maze-like dungeons where every room is the same (this is every dungeon), and the fact that every main quest is a tedious chain of fetch quests.

I wish you'd asked about the game before buying it, because it is sooooo baaaaaaad.

Well, drat. I guess I'll just wipe it from the memory card, because if the combat's not going to improve, there's really no point to suffering through that. At least it makes Drone Tactics seem fresh in comparison.
Also picked up Kenka Bancho with the other two, and can't say I'm really taken with it. It's like River City Ransom converted to 3D, with time limits slapped in, and about half of the fun stuff stripped out. The humor is better than I was expecting, though, and the Okage-like insult assembly before battles is a nice touch. It just feels kind of stale.

How's Hexyz Force?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Started playing around with Jeanne D'Arc on my PSP... and... wow, this game looks amazing. Level-5 are so good at making games. Reminds me of Fire Emblem a hell of a lot, and Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS was one of the most engrossing and fun gaming experiences I have had in the last couple of years. I think I'm going to get solidly stuck into Jeanne D'Arc, and my Dragon Quest translation rom hack playthroughs are going to have to wait. It's :) and :( rolled into one.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Darthemed posted:

How's Hexyz Force?

It's a Sting game, with all that entails: gimmicky inventory and battle systems, plus plot and character designs straight out of a 90s anime. It held my interest enough for one playthrough but I didn't feel like going back to see the other endings; it's pretty short for an RPG if you only play through it once, so take that as you will. Also, some people have problems with crashes at specific points during the game.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

How in the hell is a flash cart less expensive?

Look, this is no different than any other repro cart. The GBA has been dead for what? 7 years? Nintendo is not making nor losing profits on GBA games (they could if they started adding this poo poo to the eShop, but that's a separate discussion). Much like all the repros that exist for SNES and NES games that Nintendo made that are no longer in production. Most are only for games that never came out in the US with translations or for difficulty hacks or whatever. You find me a guy that's selling repro cartridges of a game on eShop or a game that already was released in the US for ridiculous prices, and I'll call him an rear end in a top hat right along with you. My only point is that Nintendo isn't going to hammer down on this any more than they did for any other repro or even the actual fan-translation, and if they did this would be a first.

I could maybe see it if the guy was charging $200 or something, but this isn't any pricier than any other repro cart, so either there is a specific underground mafia ensuring that repros of all kinds have $60 price points, or that's probably what it costs a person to make.

Regardless, this has gently caress all to do with RPGs, so maybe this discussion should be dropped.

If you're shopping for a Japanese Seiken Densetsu 3 on eBay and have to skip over 30 entries of $80 repros, you get a little annoyed :bang: It mostly needs to be talked about because BadAstronaut, on the very last page, ended up with a copy of DQ V that doesn't even play on his system because of similar reseller practices, and I've stopped shopping for DS games on eBay because over half of the out of print RPGs I look at state 'DS or DS Lite only', so I know what that means.

People playing games via emulation because they're impossible to buy aren't history's greatest monsters by any means, and I personally don't care that that happens, but other people are profiting off this practice with almost no work done themselves and by withholding a lot of the how-to of it; download ROM and translation SOMEONE ELSE did, reflash an EPROM in the cheapest compatible cart we can find, print a new label, maybe it's nice maybe not. The repro boxes are another thing, but still not that expensive. Only the startup cost of getting a PC-to-cart interface is expensive, but will pay for itself surprisingly fast if you're looking at $55+ repros.

The first people I heard of doing this years ago on were offering cart only for $25 shipped, and it's still not appropriate, but I can at least see them putting that much into the whole process. $55 is gouging. If that's fine for someone to pay for the sake of a translated cartridge in spite of being informed about what actually goes into those cool, but some people are being 'ripped off' due to lack of information.

I will concede the flash cart as not a cheaper option. I just recalled people on SA Mart previously unloading those with SD card for $40-50, but looking at costs from resellers now the cheapest I'm seeing is $65 from a website I'd never give a credit card to.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I see. You equate chinese bootlegged pirate carts with hobbyist repros.

Nevermind.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You are one cranky dude, Phantasium.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wendell posted:

You are one cranky dude, Phantasium.

Because I stop an argument at a difference of opinion instead of trying to convince him tooth in nail that I'm right?

It's an opinion, and he's free to have it. I just happen to think there's a world of difference between bootleggers trying to rip people off with current titles and someone making a repro of a 7 year old game that never had a release in the West.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm playing Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song on the PS2 and uh... I randomly lost 8k+ gold after 2 quests (Free the Gecklings, Vallahand Monsters)

Any clue whats up with that?

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Kild posted:

I'm playing Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song on the PS2 and uh... I randomly lost 8k+ gold after 2 quests (Free the Gecklings, Vallahand Monsters)

Step 1: Remove the game disk from your PS2.
Step 2: Take the game disk outside and place it gently on the road.
Step 3: Drive over it repeatedly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kild posted:

It's a SaGa game, so gently caress you is why.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, Minstrel Song is a much better game than that :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No.44 posted:

Step 1: Remove the game disk from your PS2.
Step 2: Take the game disk outside and place it gently on the road.
Step 3: Drive over it repeatedly.

Whoa now, its not Unlimited SaGa.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So is there a legit reason or did it bug out from something? I don't want to do the 2 quests again. :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't think I've ever heard of that happening so it was probably a bug. That really sucks, the game isn't even particularly buggy either. Especially not for a SaGa game.

I'm trying to think of how you might have spent that much money and not realized it, but I can't really think of anything since it's been a while since I last played it.

And yeah, Minstral Song is overall a really good game, my favorite in the series by far.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

Whoa now, its not Unlimited SaGa.

The only suitable fate for a copy of that game is a one-way trip directly into the heart of the sun.

Darthemed posted:

How's Hexyz Force?

I'm actually working my way through that game right now and while it's not necessarily a bad game, it's very very generic.
There are virtually no sidequests, you have to do a lot of back-tracking, and while your characters have permanent default weapons, they suck and the best ones have to be made using different ingredients (some of which are very hard to come by at the beginning of the game) and break fairly quickly. Besides that the story, music, characters and battle system are passable.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I've not bought anything not even an Inn between the two.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 7, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Clearly you angered one of the many vengeful gods that inhabit Unlimited SaGa, and they saw fit to exact a toll for your indiscretions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

Clearly you angered one of the many vengeful gods that inhabit Unlimited SaGa, and they saw fit to exact a toll for your indiscretions.
Knowing the SaGa games, this might be an actual mechanic that's never explained.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Endorph posted:

Knowing the SaGa games, this might be an actual mechanic that's never explained.

Actually in Minstrel Song, your favor with the gods determines a bunch of things, like what end game quest you get, and you can get gods to save your rear end in battle if things are going really badly. And the things that effect whether they like you or not are stuff like what spells you buy and what quests you do.

Those actually might be explained in the game though to some degree, Minstrel Song actually has many of the mechanics explained in game, unlike the rest of the series.

So yeah I was actually trying to figure out if there was some obscure mechanic or situation where something like that might have taken his gold. I'm still coming up blank though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
poo poo, you got kinda ripped off. Did you go through Jamil's town at any point there? I seem to recall the urchins stealing some gold, and the quests might've had some obscure price hidden in them. You really gotta pay attention in that game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of SaGa games and their hatred for humanity, what's a good entry point for the series? SaGa Frontier? And are there any good translation patches for Romancing SaGa 2 or 3? I remember trying a "complete" translation of one or the other that apparently meant "you can completely read the menus, but gently caress you and your dialogue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of SaGa games and their hatred for humanity, what's a good entry point for the series? SaGa Frontier? And are there any good translation patches for Romancing SaGa 2 or 3? I remember trying a "complete" translation of one or the other that apparently meant "you can completely read the menus, but gently caress you and your dialogue."

SaGa Frontier certainly isn't a bad place to get in to the series, but I wouldn't consider it a great one either. It's half-translated, some characters were quite obviously given far more development time than others, and there's a lot of repeating the same poo poo in different routes. On the whole there's this feeling that they developed a ton of random, disconnected things and then when they were told the money was gonna run out, they slapped it all together in a weekend and shipped it. And that's before getting into the unexplained and esoteric combat systems like sparking and combinations. I still love it to death, but it's hardly a great entry point.

SaGa Frontier 2 on the other hand is a far more complete game, and is probably a better bet for you if you want to get in on the series.