Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The RPG music I alwayss find myself humming is the battle theme for Shining: The Holy Ark which is a fantastic game that links into all three Shining Force 3 games. It is such a crime that we only go the first one of those translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
For anyone who has played them, how good are the Langrisser series?

VaginalErection
May 6, 2005
Warsong is okay and Langrisser 2 is really good. They are both balls crushingly hard at points.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I would have liked to see a Dragon Quarter 2, I think they could have absolutely nailed the gameplay they were going for with a second go-around. Sadly, it's likely we'll never see even a regular BoF again.

I still hum the boss theme from time to time.

Which is a real shame, because the game being designed like a dungeon crawler, it would work out really well with the trend toward roguelike/lites. Slap in some randomized dungeons, keep the SOL system so the gimmick to sort of set it apart from other random dungeon crawlers is you do not necessarily have to give up everything between replays, but keep the limited dragon power deal, so you have an "I win" button, if it is however extremely limited and may result in your guaranteed death, given the randomized nature of dungeons means you can not quite meta your way through by using dragon powers in a certain way on certain bosses. :breath:

Otherwise, maybe keep the save restart setup, so the option of just grinding your way through things by abusing dragon powers then using the restart mechanics to keep the XP, while losing any accumulated "heat". Better yet, abandon that, abbreviate the scope of the game so it can conceivably be completed in a single sitting, not dissimilar to Binding of Isaac, and keep the various weapons/armors sufficiently unique that they can wildly change the direction of the experience and you would have a winner. They could even slap the thing on 3DS/Vita to accommodate Eastern audiences, since they tend toward portables, and then drop it on PC to accommodate the West.

Not only do I think it would work out for them very well, but it would revive the series without necessarily making GBS threads all of it it, where "Dragon Quarter" is more of a derivative title than a main series so it doesn't matter if it only diverges farther... not that BF6 doesn't poo poo all of those plans, but you know. Good luck, Capcom. God bless.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 9, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Byde posted:

For anyone who has played them, how good are the Langrisser series?

They can actually be quite a solid challenge at times, and the plot is generally really dumb but the battles are nicely diverse and there's a lot of ways to get invested in the stats.

Most importantly, watching 10 little guys run at 10 little guys and die by flinging themselves backwards going 'erk!' like oldschool Lemmings is somehow extremely addictive.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
On the other hand if you play the Langrisser 2 remake, called "Der Langrisser", it's mind numbing easy.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
So, having brought it during a sale, I started Might and Magic 7. Is it better to use real time mode or turn based mode? Real time mode seems like the "right" way, but man I am not good with dealing with that many enemies while controlling 4 different dudes.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zeta Zetton posted:

So, having brought it during a sale, I started Might and Magic 7. Is it better to use real time mode or turn based mode? Real time mode seems like the "right" way, but man I am not good with dealing with that many enemies while controlling 4 different dudes.

Real-time is necessary to take advantage of ranged weapons. Just equip your entire party and hold down the attack key while dodging any incoming spells.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just started playing this RPG for the PS1 called Shadow Madness. I heard good things about it. Relatively quickly in the game I beat an optional boss and now I'm max level. Is this a bug? I'm guessing yes

I'm also trying to get into Lunar: Dragon Song. It won't let me get both exp and gold at the same time? Another bug?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't Dragon Song the game where you lose life by walking around?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't Dragon Song the game where you lose life by walking around?

I want to say it's if you run, but yes.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry, just asking this again before I commit on ebay:
Does anyone own Tactics Ogre on PSP, and know if the PSP Essentials rerelease has a full manual etc, or if I'm better off getting the Premium Limited Edition for any reason beyond having extras and fancy things included for an additional 5 bucks?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WYA posted:

I just started playing this RPG for the PS1 called Shadow Madness. I heard good things about it. Relatively quickly in the game I beat an optional boss and now I'm max level. Is this a bug? I'm guessing yes

I'm also trying to get into Lunar: Dragon Song. It won't let me get both exp and gold at the same time? Another bug?

No, it really is that easy to level in Shadow Madness. Enjoy the story, I guess.

And another no to Dragon Song. IIRC, you pick between exp or gold and items after battle. It is just a game full of great features, along with draining your hp if you hold the sprint button.

I'd suggest dropping both. Especially Dragon Song. Game is pretty much terrible in every way.

edit: vvvvvv Your friend is a bad man who wants you to play bad games. :colbert: Persona 3 and 4 are great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 9, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is just a game full of great features, along with draining your hp if you hold the sprint button.

Holy poo poo that was doing it!

Well these games are big disappointments so far, and coming from a friend who's recommendations are great. I asked him about the Personae games and he said the only worthwhile one is 2. The later ones have numerous game crashing bugs and were shipped incomplete? Is this true? I dont feel like I can trust him anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WYA posted:

I asked him about the Personae games and he said the only worthwhile one is 2. The later ones have numerous game crashing bugs and were shipped incomplete? Is this true? I dont feel like I can trust him anymore
:psyduck:, what? I played both 3 and 4 for hours and hours and I never once ran into a bug, gamecrashing or otherwise, in any of the versions of them.

And incomplete? Those games last for hours and hours. They get a little repetitive due to the dungeons being fairly uncomplicated, but they aren't incomplete or bugged. Your friend is talking out his rear end.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it really seems like your friend just really doesn't like them and is making up poo poo to prevent you from trying them out.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

WYA posted:

I call this game Dragon poo poo for a reason, and that's one of them. Also enemies don't actually drop gold, they just drop items. You have to do those delivery quest things (remember you're actually a delivery boy) to get money. Over and over and over, because the one thing it did take from other Lunar games is that poo poo's really expensive. The "running drains your HP" thing is really only an issue at the start of the game, but it's still a horrible decision.

If you're going to trudge through it, I can give you some tips to make it 1% less painful.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Persona 3 and 4 did get special editions later with more stuff in them, maybe that's what he meant by "unfinished"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WYA posted:

Well these games are big disappointments so far, and coming from a friend who's recommendations are great. I asked him about the Personae games and he said the only worthwhile one is 2. The later ones have numerous game crashing bugs and were shipped incomplete? Is this true? I dont feel like I can trust him anymore

Personas 3&4 are amazing games, and your friend has terrible opinions. Please take the time to smack your friend round the back of the head when you next see him on our behalf :colbert:.

Zereth posted:

Persona 3 and 4 did get special editions later with more stuff in them, maybe that's what he meant by "unfinished"?

P3 FES came pretty fast after the original (not to mention that P3 Portable also exists), but Golden didn't get released for a good few years after the original P4.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm slogging through Persona 1 PSP right now on my Vita and its strictly OK. I picked up both halves of P2 and I'm hoping its as good as goons say, because I can see that P1 is really just a trial run more than anything, with most of its influences coming from the early game of the first SMT (teenagers running around a demon infested city, also negotiation which you never see in Persona again).

Also, I'm extremely terrible at it, I've had to grind heavily to brute force my way through everything. Now I just got the totems that allow me to fuse the party's ultimate Personae...only I can't remember what Arcana Nanjo and Reiji are, and even if I could, I have no idea what demons to fuse to get a Persona of that Arcana so I can modify it with the totem. It's a good thing this game sold so well in Japan, because I'm not surprised American audiences were perplexed by this in 1999, ridiculous translation and all, and then we'd have never gotten 3 and 4.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

WYA posted:

I asked him about the Personae games and he said the only worthwhile one is 2.

Sounds like he's the Shin Megami thread given unholy life.

Captain Walker posted:

I picked up both halves of P2 and I'm hoping its as good as goons say,

Nope! Hope you like high encounter rates with interminably long repetitive battles in which the enemies can kill you very quickly unless you use the same One Good Combo Attack over and over. That or dip into the Demon Negotiation which is literally the worst thing imaginable in a game.

The story and the characters are really good (at least in Innocent Sin never got to the second one), but they are chopped up and spread thinly across a fifty hour slogathon.

Just play Persona 3 Portable or skip right to Persona 4. 4 and Arena are the only really great Persona games, but if you play 4 first you'll never be able to put up with 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Persona 2's gameplay is not that bad and is absolutely worth playing. It's probably my favorite Atlus game(s) not named Persona 4 Golden.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

WYA posted:

It's been made clear by now, but there's something seriously wrong with your friend. I assume he's acting as if Shadow Madness is some lost classic just because it's obscure and he gets to feel superior.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Authorman posted:

Nope! Hope you like high encounter rates with interminably long repetitive battles in which the enemies can kill you very quickly unless you use the same One Good Combo Attack over and over. That or dip into the Demon Negotiation which is literally the worst thing imaginable in a game.

The story and the characters are really good (at least in Innocent Sin never got to the second one), but they are chopped up and spread thinly across a fifty hour slogathon.

Just play Persona 3 Portable or skip right to Persona 4. 4 and Arena are the only really great Persona games, but if you play 4 first you'll never be able to put up with 3.

The encounter rate is awful, but Estoma is pretty easy to get in either Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment. Plus, the demon negotiation is automatically better than 90% of other SMT games because there is at least some consistency and method to its madness (certain characters appeal to certain personality types, and you can pretty much use said characters to milk tarot cards for summoning rather consistently; this is better than the old way where you just give demons poo poo and hope they don't jack your stuff and leave). The battle system is pretty meh, but at least the PSP versions smoothened things out for Innocent Sin's side (I don't think it had a Fusion Spell list in the original, like EP did in its PSX version).

They're not bad games, but they are definitely products of their time.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please take the time to smack your friend round the back of the head when you next see him on our behalf :colbert:.

You, sir, are a monster. His friend has clearly suffered some kind of debilitating brain trauma and here you are advocating he be struck in the head? That can only make the situation worse.

But seriously I think I had around 100 hours in both P3 and P4 and didn't notice any bugs. I also haven't heard of any in this thread or anyplace else. And if 100+ hours is 'incomplete' I would hate to play the full versions.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Authorman posted:

I've seen this said a few times, why do people say it? I started playing Persona 4 shortly after playing Persona 3 and the mechanics seem virtually identical to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WYA posted:

Your friend appears to be lying to you. (Although 2 isn't a bad game.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Paperhouse posted:

I've seen this said a few times, why do people say it? I started playing Persona 4 shortly after playing Persona 3 and the mechanics seem virtually identical to me

Mostly not being able to directly control party members, in my case. This is why I never actually finished FES' The Answer. There's also a few other changes like how multitarget attacks generate One Mores and (I think this is new) the ability to defend to temporarily suppress your weakness.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Paperhouse posted:

Persona 3 has worse characters and plot and unless you are playing the portable version worse gameplay. The only thing 3 really has over 4 is a better, more interesting final boss.

I mean persona 3 is still a better jrpg than almost every other jrpg, it's just inferior in almost every way to 4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

It's been made clear by now, but there's something seriously wrong with your friend. I assume he's acting as if Shadow Madness is some lost classic just because it's obscure and he gets to feel superior.
Shadow Madness is kind of likable for what it is, but it isn't exactly stellar. It's like a 3D rpgmaker game. Sure, it's kinda busted here and there, and the plots' weird, but the dialogue's charming in an off-kilter way.

That said I definitely wouldn't look at it as a lost classic. More like a hidden little curiosity.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Of likely interest to readers of this thread, Destructoid reports that Project Phoenix is a forthcoming kickstarter for an internationally-developed independent JRPG with a lot of pretty high-profile veteran talent behind it, targeting PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and maybe PS4 and Vita. The campaign hasn't started yet, but supposedly, backing at a certain tier will get you inserted into the game as an NPC with an original theme song by Nobuo Uematsu.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I don't know why anyone would like persona 3 or 4. they're some of the most unbearably slow and boring games i've ever encountered with less interesting dungeons than those featured in ascii roguelikes. the combat requires more preparation than most jrpgs but the 'hard' bosses just wind up taking a ridiculously long time to defeat. these segments are separated by discussions with your boring, archetypal anime friends. the snes SMT games had this weird, kind of creepy occult feeling and persona 3 and 4 are missing even that. I just don't get it!!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

GulagDolls posted:

I don't know why anyone would like persona 3 or 4.

Because they are awful, GulagDolls-kun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Because they have different tastes, Fronz-senpai.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Saying you have different tastes is just a defense mechanism employed in order to avoid thinking logically and confronting your own inner demons in order to become a better person (video game metaphor: turning Indalecio into Indalecio Limiter-off)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Here's my logical thought: persona 3 and 4 own

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

I don't know why anyone would like persona 3 or 4. they're some of the most unbearably slow

I just really like bear puns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

Supposedly, backing at a certain tier will get you inserted into the game as an NPC with an original theme song by Nobuo Uematsu.

Name any price and it shall be done! :shepspends:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GulagDolls posted:

I don't know why anyone would like persona 3 or 4. they're some of the most unbearably slow and boring games i've ever encountered with less interesting dungeons than those featured in ascii roguelikes. the combat requires more preparation than most jrpgs but the 'hard' bosses just wind up taking a ridiculously long time to defeat. these segments are separated by discussions with your boring, archetypal anime friends. the snes SMT games had this weird, kind of creepy occult feeling and persona 3 and 4 are missing even that. I just don't get it!!

But the dungeons in ASCII roguelikes ARE interesting, they're the entirety of most of those games :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

Here's my logical thought: persona 3 and 4 own

What do you like about them. This is a serious question.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

But the dungeons in ASCII roguelikes ARE interesting, they're the entirety of most of those games :confused:

Not really. The entirety of most of roguelikes is dealing with artificial intelligence monsters. which is enough because you are almost always collectively outmatched and have to use your brain. But the dungeons themselves (the environments) are basically just skeletons.

taking the word 'dungeon' to mean the collective experience of a designated 'bad guys' area, my point is that aesthetically persona 3 and 4's dungeons are really just as barebones as those found in roguelikes, with 50 floors that look exactly the same and music so bad i can't believe that it wasn't also randomly generated by a roguelike dungeon making algorithm. but they lack any and all usage of brain power, unlike roguelikes, so they're consequently boring and take about 30000 hours to get through because for some reason every animation has to take a solar cycle to complete.

this would be less of a problem if they were gorgeous, inspiring environments or something.