Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

I have the blu ray 3 disc edition of Apocalypse Now, but I'd hate to get rid of this version which I have on DVD.

I don't know if I've spent more money on copies of Army of Darkness or Apocalypse Now. No idea what that says about me (it says I am an idiot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Glamorama26 posted:

I don't know if I've spent more money on copies of Army of Darkness or Apocalypse Now. No idea what that says about me (it says I am an idiot).

I know how you feel, I'll also add the Alien movies and Romero's living dead trilogy to that list.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have four copies of Jurassic Park: from VHS and DVD to Blu-Ray and Digital. Goes for The Lost World, too really. Whatever the next format is, that's mine too. :getin:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

kjetting posted:

I know how you feel, I'll also add the Alien movies and Romero's living dead trilogy to that list.

Same here on the Romero thing. And guess what! This September, Shout's Scream Factory is releasing a special edition of Day of the Dead and yes, I will take 5.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
The Dyatlov Pass Incident has decent covers although I hate when they have quotes and don't give a source.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

These are my favorite DVD covers because they accurately represent the tones of both movies, just with the designs of the necronomicon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Slasherfan posted:

The Dyatlov Pass Incident has decent covers although I hate when they have quotes and don't give a source.

I love this one.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a kitten posted:

Ahhh, that's better.

a kitten posted:

It really does lose something as just a silhouette doesn't it? Just goes to show that bluray covers are bad all over the world.

Nope, it rules. Let's look at the rest in the series:

Clean, simple, elegant. And it looks great in a set:
[/url]

Too bad they're so expensive because :japan:. Let's see what their US counterparts look like!

vs

:smith:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Holy poo poo, awesome!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sirotan posted:

Let's see what their US counterparts look like!

vs

:smith:

I actually like that American cover. I just wish it didn't have so many words.

Kind of interesting how minimalism is appreciated when it's a Japanese anime. Would people prefer this?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I think the Kiki's Delivery one is pretty iconic, but the Earthsea and Howl's Moving Castle one are kinda weak. Howl's Moving Castle will always do better with a detailed drawing because of its :krad: castle.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Kind of interesting how minimalism is appreciated when it's a Japanese anime. Would people prefer this?

I appreciate them for the aesthetic, it being anime has nothing to do with it. The fact that they maintain a consistent theme is probably why it works so well.

Is the Fight Club cover even real? Because all I see is artifact city.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sirotan posted:

Is the Fight Club cover even real? Because all I see is artifact city.

Nah, whipped it up super quick to compare.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

scary ghost dog posted:

These are my favorite DVD covers because they accurately represent the tones of both movies, just with the designs of the necronomicon.

I have the second and let someone borrow the first and never got it back. It stinks because those aren't in print any more and go for quite a bit online.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

This is awesome and should be posted in reply any time someone posts that minimalist posters are inherently bad.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nah, whipped it up super quick to compare.

So basically you were asking me if I preferred bluray covers produced by the studio that made Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies to something you whipped up in a minute without much thought to composition, while also adding a little dig against anime?

Minimalism isn't a dirty word you know. It's a fad right now, sure, but I've seen plenty examples of it (in this very thread) where it's been used well.

Edit: Now, if you'd like to see some bad minimalism, I present to you this hot off the presses Mondo poster:

Clearly apeing the Saul Bass classic, which makes the entire exercise of creating this new one totally pointless.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 12, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Optimist with doubt posted:

I have the second and let someone borrow the first and never got it back. It stinks because those aren't in print any more and go for quite a bit online.

That sucks hard. This is why I now use that lifehack tip of taking a photo of a person holding anything they borrow from me with my phone camera so I never lose track. Plus they tend to feel more obligated to return that way.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Slasherfan posted:

The American cover is the dullest.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Sirotan posted:

I know I love Crazy Walking Mechanical Egg, Dragons Flying Away, and Little Boy Shoots Rocket at Flying Girl.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Sheldrake posted:

I know I love Crazy Walking Mechanical Egg, Dragons Flying Away, and Little Boy Shoots Rocket at Flying Girl.

Yeah, those covers are tantamount to the worst offenders of lovely minimalist posters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think those Miyazaki minalimist posters have one thing going for them over like 90% of the other minamilist posters; They use well defined and interesting outlined objects and fill in gaps in the image with the background color to better provide fine detail. Most minimalist schlock relies on strong, straight lines with little fine detail and as a result look cheap and geometric. Its like HAL 9000 was tasked with making box art.

Edit: That hair for example or the broom tail have more definition to them using only two colors than even the fully colored minamilist messes from earlier in the thread.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

kjetting posted:

This is awesome and should be posted in reply any time someone posts that minimalist posters are inherently bad.

It is the fan made minimalists posters that are inherently bad. Minimalism done by someone with talent is a case by case.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Clean, simple, elegant. And it looks great in a set:
[/url]

These work because the imagery is so iconic. Nausicaa and her windboard, Totoro, Kiki on her broom, the titular moving castle, Sheeta and Pazu kissing in mid-air. The only one that doesn't work is probably the Tales Of Earthsea and that yellow-boxed one (which I have no idea what it is, because I've just gone through a list of Ghibli titles and couldn't find the hirigana to match).

Minimalist design exploiting a well-known idea or theme of the film isn't bad. I think that joke Fight Club cover works as well, because that first fight scene, from the iconic line "I want you to hit me as hard as you can", is probably one of the most memorable scenes in the film. It's much better than the "Space Monkey" cover that actually got printed that only appeals to the hardcore fans of the film.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yellow box is Only Yesterday. It's another instance of a movie unsuited for silhouette covers.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I could do without the quote, but yeah. I like the alt cover with the head in the street, too.

Why do so many dvd covers have some lovely review quote on them? Ruins the picture.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Yellow box is Only Yesterday. It's another instance of a movie unsuited for silhouette covers.

Okay, I knew it wasn't a Miyazaki film, so I figured it was an Isao Takahata film. I also see that they simple copied the movie poster, which is the main character at 27 and at 6. I thought it may have been Grave of the Fireflies or something, because of the two of them and what I thought was ill-fitting clothing on one of them.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

effectual posted:

Why do so many dvd covers have some lovely review quote on them? Ruins the picture.

Same reason why posters get them too: to get people to buy it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

Did someone say "Necronomicon?"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sirotan posted:

So basically you were asking me if I preferred bluray covers produced by the studio that made Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies to something you whipped up in a minute without much thought to composition, while also adding a little dig against anime?

Minimalism isn't a dirty word you know. It's a fad right now, sure, but I've seen plenty examples of it (in this very thread) where it's been used well.

Edit: Now, if you'd like to see some bad minimalism, I present to you this hot off the presses Mondo poster:

Clearly apeing the Saul Bass classic, which makes the entire exercise of creating this new one totally pointless.

There's a decent idea in that design, but the colors make no sense and why is he hanging from a big eyeball?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

effectual posted:

There's a decent idea in that design, but the colors make no sense and why is he hanging from a big eyeball?

The colours are like that because they're the colours of the original Saul Bass poster, one of the most iconic postero in cinema.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because his fear of heights is irrational, down to his perception rather than anything external.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 12, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Noxville posted:

The colours are like that because they're the colours of the original Saul Bass poster, one of the most iconic postero in cinema.

Man, that Saul Bass just don't know colors. I mean, ORANGE, it doesn't even rhyme with anything, so how can that be a real color.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sirotan posted:

Hey now, Mondo's other Vertigo poster is much better.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 13, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

He now, Mondo's other Vertigo poster is much better.

Oh man, that's killer. It would've been better if they went with an orange color scheme than green, at least to offset all the gray, but what the hey?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

So the movie poster has a small advertisement for the book the movie was based on, the cover of which is the movie poster that you're looking at.

They were way ahead of their time there. I wonder why that never caught on.

Nowadays you just have to put a QR code that will take you to a website where you can buy and download the book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

The best part of these is that the case for 2 screams when you poke it in the eye.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

scary ghost dog posted:

I have these and my book for 2 is just totally rotting. The latex they used just fell right apart.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have these and my book for 2 is just totally rotting. The latex they used just fell right apart.

Somehow that feels just right for Evil Dead 2.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pascallion posted:

New mission, thread: Post GOOD Blu Ray covers that are not Criterion or Special Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Slasherfan posted:

The American cover is the dullest.

Is there a reason why she's not wearing a shirt?