Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Dyatlov Pass incident involved a bunch of people getting hypothermia which turns you into a gibbering lizard who has the base impulse to completely strip yourself. Also marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have these and my book for 2 is just totally rotting. The latex they used just fell right apart.

The same is happening to mine, and the sound chip thing in it is burning out. It makes horrible digital groans now. Oddly the first movie's case has held up fine.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Let's not forget the packaging on the inside, either:

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Sirotan posted:

So basically you were asking me if I preferred bluray covers produced by the studio that made Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies to something you whipped up in a minute without much thought to composition, while also adding a little dig against anime?
Studio Ghibli makes great movies but those covers are pure poo poo unless you're an "enthusiast" for the films. Which is fine because they're clearly designed to sell to circlejerking fanboys, but defending them as good design is just silly.

What makes a good DVD cover? Something that interests people that have never seen the movie as well as providing pride of ownership feelings for people who have seen the movie. This Fight Club packaging is a great example:

If you don't know what Fight Club is about, you're still intrigued by the packaging. If you do know what Fight Club is about, you get the "hidden meaning" and you can still appreciate the aesthetic appeal.

Then here's some bullshit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

tliil posted:

What makes a good DVD cover? Something that interests people that have never seen the movie as well as providing pride of ownership feelings for people who have seen the movie. This Fight Club packaging is a great example:

If you don't know what Fight Club is about, you're still intrigued by the packaging. If you do know what Fight Club is about, you get the "hidden meaning" and you can still appreciate the aesthetic appeal.

Money's been tight and I've been going through my DVDs and selling stuff I haven't watched in ages or stuff I eventually want to get on Blu-Ray. Every time my hand goes over that first pressing of the Fight Club DVD, the you're talking about, I just can't do it. It was the first DVD I ever bought, still works great (I thought it might have that DVD rot that plagued Fox DVDs during the late '90s but it never happened), and I still fire it up occasionally. I know there's a Blu-Ray out for it, but it doesn't matter, I doubt I'll ever sell my original copy of the film for an upgrade and the packaging probably does have something to do with it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Young Freud posted:

Money's been tight and I've been going through my DVDs and selling stuff I haven't watched in ages or stuff I eventually want to get on Blu-Ray. Every time my hand goes over that first pressing of the Fight Club DVD, the you're talking about, I just can't do it. It was the first DVD I ever bought, still works great (I thought it might have that DVD rot that plagued Fox DVDs during the late '90s but it never happened), and I still fire it up occasionally. I know there's a Blu-Ray out for it, but it doesn't matter, I doubt I'll ever sell my original copy of the film for an upgrade and the packaging probably does have something to do with it.

Someone stole my DVD copy but I still have the box so I just toss a blu-ray copy in the box now.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I have that Fight Club DVD, and it holds even more special significance for me since I bought it with a friend of mine who got me into slightly artier film in high school, who recently died in a car accident. :smith:

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 13, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hewlett posted:

I have that Fight Club DVD, and it holds even more special significance for me since I bought it with a friend of mine who got me into slightly artier film in high school, who recently died in a car accident. :smith:

Your sadness isn't formatted correctly.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Your sadness isn't formatted correctly.

Woops. Stupid iPad.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AndyP posted:

Is there a reason why she's not wearing a shirt?

They want people to buy the dvd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tliil posted:

Don't buy Fight Club on blu ray. It looks too "clean." And the cover is dumb, yeah.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Considering how big minimalist movie posters are, I'm surprised there aren't people making minimalist Blu-ray covers you can print out and replace the standard covers with.

There are. This is totally a thing. I've actually done this myself but you know, not minimalist ones. Just good covers, usually with the posters, to replace awful poo poo like the Drive blu ray cover.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Noxville posted:

The colours are like that because they're the colours of the original Saul Bass poster, one of the most iconic postero in cinema.

Well that Saul Bass poster doesn't have any blue, so why'd mondo add it?

Same with the alt poster of the stairs - why the blue?

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

muscles like this? posted:

Did someone say "Necronomicon?"

I'd bound her in human flesh and ink her in blood IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

These work because the imagery is so iconic. Nausicaa and her windboard, Totoro, Kiki on her broom, the titular moving castle, Sheeta and Pazu kissing in mid-air. The only one that doesn't work is probably the Tales Of Earthsea and that yellow-boxed one (which I have no idea what it is, because I've just gone through a list of Ghibli titles and couldn't find the hirigana to match).

Minimalist design exploiting a well-known idea or theme of the film isn't bad. I think that joke Fight Club cover works as well, because that first fight scene, from the iconic line "I want you to hit me as hard as you can", is probably one of the most memorable scenes in the film. It's much better than the "Space Monkey" cover that actually got printed that only appeals to the hardcore fans of the film.

As someone who has not seen the movies, no they don't. I see a big blobby thing, an owl, a witch, a dragon and flying kids kissing. Those covers are still for people who have already seen the movie, just like all those lovely minimalist posters linked here all the time. Maybe those silhouettes are more central to the films than what we usually see, but they tell me very little about what to expect.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Let's see what their US counterparts look like!

vs

:smith:

The Finnish release looks like this, I like it:

Almost all of our Ghibli releases have been made by the same company, and all of those are that kind of a clean style with just the name in Japanese and Finnish as well as the name of the director (the text at the very top just says "2-disc special edition"), though some seem to be just straight up movie posters with the cast info and all that at the bottom.

I took this quick picture of them all for comparison, I'm still missing From Up on Poppy Hill and Only Yesterday (since that hasn't even been released here). The proto-Ghibli movie Panda! Go Panda!, The Castle of Cagliostro and Grave of the Fireflies are the ones not released by Cinema Mondo, and it really shows in the presentation. Spirited Away was the first Ghibli DVD released in Finland, as well as the first one to get a theatrical run, so that one still has reviews, stars, and a mention of the Oscar on the cover. They got better.

(These are in chronological order by the way.)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That Spirited Away cover is abysmal.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

AndyP posted:

Is there a reason why she's not wearing a shirt?

Isn't that what happened in the real case that make it so bizarre, they where all found naked in the snow.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Slasherfan posted:

Isn't that what happened in the real case that make it so bizarre, they where all found naked in the snow.

According to Wiki, a few people were found in their underwear, but it's assumed their clothes were taken by the people who were still alive.

Has anyone actually seen that movie? 'Cause I can see a decent horror movie being made out of the incident.

On the subject of Ghibli, I've always loved the cover for Disney's release of Whisper of the Heart.

Even though a scene like that doesn't actually happen in the film, it does a great job setting the tone for the movie. And it probably doesn't hurt that Whisper is my favorite Ghibli film.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Don't buy Fight Club on blu ray. It looks too "clean." And the cover is dumb, yeah.
I thought it looked fine. I have that exact release and yeah, the cover is lazy (and the actual case is really skinny and flimsy to boot) but I can't not love the Blu-Ray release because of the "Never Been Kissed" gag.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tliil posted:

Studio Ghibli makes great movies but those covers are pure poo poo unless you're an "enthusiast" for the films. Which is fine because they're clearly designed to sell to circlejerking fanboys, but defending them as good design is just silly.

Since when does potential sales figures have anything to do with what makes a good design? Why does everything have to cater to someone unfamiliar with the media? I'm sure these releases sell well in the Japanese market anyway, which is what they are made for, since there's probably not many people there unfamiliar with the works of Studio Ghibli. And since the designs are consist and colors are vibrant, I've got them displayed prominently with my other great looking pieces of physical media, so they sure as hell give me pride of ownership. But hey I guess I found the type of person that likes the covers for the US releases. They're ugly but at least it's easy to find which movie stars Amy Poehler!

Veib posted:

(These are in chronological order by the way.)

These are really nice. I wish the US releases just didn't have so much crap on them: Disney logos, (English) voice acting credits, huge banners reminding you is a bluray. I consisted buying them and printing my own covers or something but have just ended up buying the Japanese releases instead. They come out months/years before the US anyway.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 13, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

Considering how big minimalist movie posters are, I'm surprised there aren't people making minimalist Blu-ray covers you can print out and replace the standard covers with.

A thing that one videogame did, which I would love for film studios to do, is have a reversible cover with the logos, tech specs, and marketing blurbs excised.

Soonmot posted:

As someone who has not seen the movies, no they don't. I see a big blobby thing, an owl, a witch, a dragon and flying kids kissing. Those covers are still for people who have already seen the movie, just like all those lovely minimalist posters linked here all the time. Maybe those silhouettes are more central to the films than what we usually see, but they tell me very little about what to expect.

Yeah, I've seen most of those movies at one point or another and aside from Totoro and Kiki I couldn't figure out what any of them were with any degree of certainty.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Kind of interesting how minimalism is appreciated when it's a Japanese anime. Would people prefer this?

:laffo: This would make an amazing GBS photoshop thread.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Since when does potential sales figures have anything to do with what makes a good design?
Sales has nothing to do it, but the purpose of design in advertising is to make something noticeable and memorable. When critiquing the design of movie posters and dvd covers, you have to take into account that these things are supposed to be getting people interested in the film, which hopefully leads to a purchase.

Sirotan posted:

But hey I guess I found the type of person that likes the covers for the US releases. They're ugly but at least it's easy to find which movie stars Amy Poehler!
Since I don't fetishize my movie boxes like you, I don't care what my covers look like. I appreciate good design but I don't display product packaging in my house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tliil posted:

Since I don't fetishize my movie boxes like you, I don't care what my covers look like. I appreciate good design but I don't display product packaging in my house.

Having some bluray cases on a shelf under my TV is me 'fetishizing' them? :confused:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Cacator posted:

Which was done first by Borat:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Which was done first by Borat:

System Of A Down.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A thing that one videogame did, which I would love for film studios to do, is have a reversible cover with the logos, tech specs, and marketing blurbs excised.

Bioshock Infinite also had such a ruckus on the Internet about how generic its cover was that they made it reversible to a more stylized one.

(The alternate is not normally in Czech, it's just hard to find the full thing in English for some reason.)

It'd be an interesting idea for movies given how rear end-ugly most DVD boxes are, but I doubt there are enough consumers who care to make it worth doing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Shout Factory has started doing this actually. The front cover is something they commissioned, while the reverse is the original poster. Drafthouse Films seems to do the same thing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I own that Fight Club DVD and consider it one of my favourite movies, if not the best ever...And I have no idea why you all like that cover so much.

(The Blu Ray cover is aesthetically nasty with the colours and lack of detail, but "distinctive main characters and logo spray painted" is an idea that I think fits that movie pretty well.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VagueRant posted:

I own that Fight Club DVD and consider it one of my favourite movies, if not the best ever...And I have no idea why you all like that cover so much.

It looks like project mayhem homework.

I've also heard people say it looks like a package for the soap.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I've never seen Fight Club (well, not really) and of the two covers the DVD one looks more interesting. I have no idea what it has to do with the movie but it makes me kind of want to watch it.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Young Freud posted:

These work because the imagery is so iconic. Nausicaa and her windboard, Totoro, Kiki on her broom, the titular moving castle, Sheeta and Pazu kissing in mid-air.

That last one, you mentioned, is the DVD for Ponyo not Laputa.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

cloudchamber posted:

That last one, you mentioned, is the DVD for Ponyo not Laputa.

The problem with minimalism.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I'm hosting another pub quiz tomorrow and because I have 0 original ideas I'm gonna do another movie poster round. I saw some movie posters recreated in clipart so I decided to try that. I'm worried they're all too easy...

EDIT: one more

joedevola fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 13, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Creepy cartoon Silence of the Lambs needs to be made.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Cacator posted:

Haha that DVDR is brilliant.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
That Speed clip art poster is a thing of beauty...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Zodiac had some cool packaging.

Director's Cut:

Unfortunately the original cover was just floating heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Zodiac had some cool packaging.

This is the best DVD packaging ever and I will not be convinced otherwise.