Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Silentman0 posted:

Can we talk about how Getter Robo is getting a new anime in 2014 instead of jerking Clawshrimpy off for another 10 pages?

It's going to be terrible in the same way New Getter Robo and Shin Mazinger was. The characters are going to, per Getter tradition, be unlikable pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

To fight dinosaurs we created dinosaurs of our own. :allears:

e: FFS, new page.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man those guys look overdesigned.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

dis astranagant posted:

Dynamic Pro x someone, don't know my moon enough to know who they're working with.

Sentinel Co. They're a figure company.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 15, 2013

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
More Getter is never ever a bad thing.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Clever Spambot posted:

More Getter is never ever a bad thing.

Yeah it is, it means another awful 70's remake.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They remind me of this thing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Yeah it is, it means another awful 70's remake.

You don't have to watch it and you don't enjoy anything else Dynamic Pro could make so it's not really a big deal at all :ssh:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Shut up, Clawshrimpy.

dis astranagant posted:

They remind me of this thing

That was my first thought too. I'm not as excited for this as I was for Shin Mazinger but it should be pretty interesting; it looks like it might be Getter's answer to Mazinkaizer SKL.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

You don't have to watch it and you don't enjoy anything else Dynamic Pro could make so it's not really a big deal at all :ssh:

Except for the fact they're making more stupid 70's remakes and not any good mecha anime.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Was the second half of SKL good?

I didn't like the first half much, though that may have been because I was still hyped up from Shin Mazinger and SKL wasn't more of that.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

:getin: how do we make this happen
I'd be down for it.

KoldPT posted:

I'd enjoy GaoGurrenGar.
Okay.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If they go full SKL and get us some death metal (I'll even take hair metal if I have to) for the soundtrack that'll just be the best.

mikeycp posted:

Was the second half of SKL good?

I didn't like the first half much, though that may have been because I was still hyped up from Shin Mazinger and SKL wasn't more of that.

There's a second half? I thought it was like 3 episodes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Time to get real rowdy and punch some bad dudes with a dinosaur fist and also combine to become a dinosaur I guess. Dino-gattai or whatever. Getter 3 has a dino face on it's torso (which has Getter 1's face stretched across the nose section which owns) and Getter 2 has a dino head instead of the regular pinchy-claw.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Except for the fact they're making more stupid 70's remakes and not any good mecha anime.

Humor me. Look at Dynamic Pro's catalog. Is there anything in there that you'd truly, honestly want to see remade? It's all Go Nagai stuff which you hate, so...

e:

Daler Mehndi posted:

I'm looking forward to this new Getter Robo thing, even if we don't know that much about it yet. I do wonder if they'll be adapting and reworking a manga story arc (pun unintended) or just giving us something new.

Honestly I like the idea that every Getter Robo adaption does its own thing while still incorporating elements of the manga. Adapting the entire manga could be tough because it'd take a lot of work to keep the animation at a consistent level.

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 15, 2013

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm looking forward to this new Getter Robo thing, even if we don't know that much about it yet. I do wonder if they'll be adapting and reworking a manga story arc (pun unintended) or just giving us something new.

dis astranagant posted:

If they go full SKL and get us some death metal (I'll even take hair metal if I have to) for the soundtrack that'll just be the best.

It was definitely three episodes. Maybe he watched the first and thought there was only one more part.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe it's the Dinosaur Empire's Getters from Āḥ. That would be pretty bitchin, as much as I'd miss our usual band of psychopaths.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Humor me. Look at Dynamic Pro's catalog. Is there anything in there that you'd truly, honestly want to see remade? It's all Go Nagai stuff which you hate, so...

e:

Honestly I like the idea that every Getter Robo adaption does its own thing while still incorporating elements of the manga. Adapting the entire manga could be tough to keep the animation at a consistent level.

Still, someone should make some kind of good mecha anime, rather than seasons and season of no mecha at all, and the few times we do get mecha, it's usually bad or at the very least still underperforming in the story department compared to GGG.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Right. The first episode is fine if you're up for :rock: plus :black101: in robot form. The animation of SKL fighting was all right. Then the second episode sucks because they tried to pretend there was a plot and the :rock: plus :black101: was bad because they reused all the animation from the first episode. Then the third episode is ok, but drags horribly because the main characters won't kill the final bad guy. Who wants a pilder fight?

I'd like this to be longer, but if they just have a bunch of Getter on Dino murder, possibly in space, possibly while we rock out for an hour, I'll be all right with it.

dis astranagant posted:

Maybe it's the Dinosaur Empire's Getters from Āḥ. That would be pretty bitchin, as much as I'd miss our usual band of psychopaths.

If they base this on Ah, we get to go to space to conquer the universe with Emperor and General Musashi :allears:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

dis astranagant posted:

Gettersaurus looks way different from these, but I would love to see an animated version of Getter Robo Āḥ nonetheless. It's the only one that hasn't been put to animation in some form, hasn't it? Discounting Hien and the like.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
On the one hand, those Getters sure look too busy.

On the other hand, it's more Getter, so give it to me! :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

Right. The first episode is fine if you're up for :rock: plus :black101: in robot form. The animation of SKL fighting was all right. Then the second episode sucks because they tried to pretend there was a plot and the :rock: plus :black101: was bad because they reused all the animation from the first episode. Then the third episode is ok, but drags horribly because the main characters won't kill the final bad guy. Who wants a pilder fight?

I'd like this to be longer, but if they just have a bunch of Getter on Dino murder, possibly in space, possibly while we rock out for an hour, I'll be all right with it.

Yeah it's a shame that they had to reuse animation in a 3 episode OVA. Makes me wonder what the hell happened in production. Pretty fun to watch overall though, and the OP is :krad:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

Gettersaurus looks way different from these, but I would love to see an animated version of Getter Robo Āḥ nonetheless. It's the only one that hasn't been put to animation in some form, hasn't it? Discounting Hien and the like.

It does, but these might be the main Getter while Dino Getter is something they're just tempting us with. Āḥ has never been an anime before. Armageddon and Shin vs. Neo were both based on Go, at least somewhat, and New was part the original and part the Shin Getter Ishikawa made between Go and Āḥ. If this is an anime of that, it also means this will be the first chance we've ever gotten at a real ending for Āḥ.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The thing about SKL is that it feels like a throwback to grimdark 80s anime that had gratuitous gore and characters that are inscrutable and a plot that moves super fast while making no sense. If you look at it in that light it basically becomes a perfect show but if you never had any sort of appreciation for things like that it will probably come off as shallow.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
I just want a drat mecha show where the characters aren't jerks again.

I gave Danball Senki Wars a shot, but it devolved into Gundam type Us v.s. Them rivalry bullshit really quickly. Tried Gyrozetter too, and again, the characters were unlikable.

Guess I'm stuck waiting for that small company to put out more Raijin-Oh episodes, even though Raijin-Oh was from the early 90s, ......at least it's good.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 15, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It might help if your standards for what a jerk is were a bit higher.

And poo poo, a show about a sporting event having rivalries? How could they?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please stop, Clawshrimpy. Please.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Clever Spambot posted:

The thing about SKL is that it feels like a throwback to grimdark 80s anime that had gratuitous gore and characters that are inscrutable and a plot that moves super fast while making no sense. If you look at it in that light it basically becomes a perfect show but if you never had any sort of appreciation for things like that it will probably come off as shallow.

So, basically, if you liked Zeorymer, then SKL is the best thing?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So that really is a new Getter Robo anime? Last I heard it was just figures about those designs.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Shaezerus posted:

So, in other words, SKL is even worse than Shin Mazinger?

Because Zeorymer is pretty much the worst mecha show ever made. As Evil as I said Kamina was, he's got nothing on the protagonist who literally tries to rape someone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

I think it has more in common with the violent, sexual OVAs of the 80s/90s. The sort that Manga Entertainment would dub (though it doesn't go nearly as far as some of the more infamous examples).

AradoBalanga posted:

Okay. Those "Dino Getters" look...what's the word...clunky. Like, too much detail has been put into the design. Still, I'll wait until I see them in motion before rendering full judgment.

I think this might be evidence that it's an ad for figures. It's a lot of detail.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 15, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Okay. Those "Dino Getters" look...what's the word...clunky. Like, too much detail has been put into the design. Still, I'll wait until I see them in motion before rendering full judgment.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Clawshrimpy posted:

So, in other words, SKL is even worse than Shin Mazinger?

Out of curiousity, before you went back and changed all of your old opinions to justify your hatred of gurren lagann what did you like about new getter robo and shin mazinger?

They were both 10/10 on your anime list yesterday before someone linked it ITT.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Clever Spambot posted:

Out of curiousity, before you went back and changed all of your old opinions to justify your hatred of gurren lagann what did you like about new getter robo and shin mazinger?

They were both 10/10 on your anime list yesterday before someone linked it ITT.

Nothing, like I said, I literally have not logged in there for years until today, when I was reminded to update it.

It took a few GGG re--watches to realize they were just as schlock as TTGL. I came to that realization when I saw Shin Mazinger's horrible non-ending, and came to the realization that Nagai and Ishikawa were hacks.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 15, 2013

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Clawshrimpy posted:

Nothing, like I said, I literally have not logged in there for years until today, when I was reminded to update it.

It took a few GGG re--watches to realize they were just as schlock as TTGL.

So you liked nothing about the shows but gave them a 10/10?

If you were so fickle about your taste in things a few years back what makes you so sure you are correct now? So sure you are willing to parrot the same argument over and over again with a bunch of people that hate you and think you are a clown?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Clawshrimpy posted:

I just want a drat mecha show where the characters aren't jerks again.

Try Godannar.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He hates shows with fanservice, too.

What do you mean there's a character in GGG who's nothing but that, don't be ridiculous.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Clever Spambot posted:

So you liked nothing about the shows but gave them a 10/10?

If you were so fickle about your taste in things a few years back what makes you so sure you are correct now? So sure you are willing to parrot the same argument over and over again with a bunch of people that hate you and think you are a clown?

Because back when I first watched those shows, I was reacting the same way "fandom" reacted to TTGL when it aired. I.e. not thinking about the plot and such. Only when I put it through the same level of analysis that I do with GGG or Star Trek or any proper sci-fi that they loving fell apart.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

It took a few GGG re--watches to realize they were just as schlock as TTGL. I came to that realization when I saw Shin Mazinger's horrible non-ending, and came to the realization that Nagai and Ishikawa were hacks.

So, you're saying that you just preemptively rated them 10/10?

The changed your mind when comparing them to GGG?

Also, i'm asking this with all seriousness:

What mecha shows do you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Now that I've had the time to calm down, I agree that they look a little busy. It's something about the amount of segments combined with the pointy-ness. I think it's that designs moved away from the rounder shapes of the seventies, which I prefer a lot, and we're seeing a Getter designed in the modern age where everything is pointed and edged.

The mecha designer is NINNIN. He's got a small design gallery on his Twitter, and also a lady in a shell bikini. I don't know what that's about, but these designs were used for figures at Wonder Festival this year. This poster is still marked with 2014, and I see more than just us billing this as an anime around the internet, so I'm still hoping.

• Locked thread