Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pvt.Scott posted:

Autocracy's 100 tourism when a Great Person is born can be handy if you get to ideologies first, or if you're going to faith buy a bunch of GPs. poo poo adds up.

Also, Autocracy has that tier 3 that increases tourism to civs that are less happy than you by a significant amount, which if you are really influential and other people aren't Autocrats, you almost certainly will be more happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Also, Autocracy has that tier 3 that increases tourism to civs that are less happy than you by a significant amount, which if you are really influential and other people aren't Autocrats, you almost certainly will be more happy.

That's order, and it's 34%, same as Freedom's much easier to obtain bonus (only needing a broadcast tower, works for all other civs in the game).

(you should actually read Fryhtaning's post :))

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
That 100 tourism per great person is a drop in the bucket, and autocracy is very clearly the worst method for cultural victory, they make that abundantly clear. You have to conquer the culturally strong civs when you take Autocracy.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Marketing New Brain posted:

That 100 tourism per great person is a drop in the bucket, and autocracy is very clearly the worst method for cultural victory, they make that abundantly clear. You have to conquer the culturally strong civs when you take Autocracy.

I would agree with you, except conquering the culturally strong is by far the easiest way to win a cultural victory. Just take a few cities from the big contenders, and you'll have a cultural victory in no time whether you're trying or not.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

I would agree with you, except conquering the culturally strong is by far the easiest way to win a cultural victory. Just take a few cities from the big contenders, and you'll have a cultural victory in no time whether you're trying or not.

Oh, I certainly agree with you that conquering cultural strong civs is the way to go, but that doesn't really require autocracy, and my point was never to take the +100 tourism per great person, as it is useless. You will easily influence the weaker civs without it, and it is not nearly enough to overpower the stronger cultural civs, so why bother?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This isn't the group he was talking about, but there's a CFC-based steam group for people who like to marathon games in single sessions here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NO_QUITTERS

So if you'd rather marathon games than play in multiple sessions.

I'll sign up, though I doubt I'll have that long a stretch of free time before the weekend (if then).

Is there a goon group for multiplayer, though? I may be blind but I've read through the OP twice and don't see any mention of a group.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Bremen posted:

I'll sign up, though I doubt I'll have that long a stretch of free time before the weekend (if then).

Is there a goon group for multiplayer, though? I may be blind but I've read through the OP twice and don't see any mention of a group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm getting better at Emperor. I'm expanding sooner, building leaner and keeping a sufficient standing army. Still haven't been able to make that final push to a win, though. My last few attempts have devolved into all out world war between the three ideological blocs. It's hard to get anything done when everything is constantly exploding. Maybe it's just a run of bad luck.

Going to try for a Babylon win. If ol' Nebby can't clinch it for me, nobody can. Second city is getting founded on three salt, three sheep and the Great Barrier Reef. :smug:

E: The Walls of Babylon are pretty great when the Huns and the Norse set up shop on your borders. It's an endless stream of screaming psychopaths being cut down by calm crossbow fire. I get it, you guys wanted my city location. Chill.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 19, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So...

Is this the best way to deal with Napoleon when he's being a massive cock? Or is that a bit uncouth? I kidnapped all of his workers but one and deleted them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You have to make an effort to keep other civs happy once ideologies roll around. Either work up as many positive bonuses as you can to offset ideology differences, or switch to the most popular one.

Having said that, on Emperor you will be behind in techs probably until the renaissance, but if you're pumping a good amount of resources into science then you should be one of the first to hit the industrial era and pick up an ideology.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Is this the best way to deal with Napoleon when he's being a massive cock? Or is that a bit uncouth? I kidnapped all of his workers but one and deleted them.

I still see cities there, so no, not effective enough.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Crazy Ted posted:

So...

Not enough fallout.

Seems like that'd be pretty cathartic though.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm liking the Communitas map, but leave it to Thal to find a way to somehow introduce bugs with a map script. Jungle tiles on hills produce three food.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

I still see cities there, so no, not effective enough.
Well I did liberate the two Songhai cities France had conquered. I suppose I could just go ahead and conquer his cities and give them back at half size. Except Paris. I've got four trebuchets and seven knights running around France's territory.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Well I did liberate the two Songhai cities France had conquered. I suppose I could just go ahead and conquer his cities and give them back at half size. Except Paris. I've got four trebuchets and seven knights running around France's territory.

What kind of pansy peace loving beatnik are you? Raze the cities to 1 pop, and sell off any remaining buildings, THEN give them to a civ with the lowest happiness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

God I hate the game auto switching to the next unit but it lags so you're giving commands to another unit but they go into the next unit and you lose it because it shouldn't have moved there and argh :argh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Grand Fromage posted:

God I hate the game auto switching to the next unit but it lags so you're giving commands to another unit but they go into the next unit and you lose it because it shouldn't have moved there and argh :argh:

You can switch that off in the interface options. Look for "auto unit-cycle".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gort posted:

You can switch that off in the interface options. Look for "auto unit-cycle".

Auto unit cycle would be a nice feature if it wasn't so buggy and lovely. I wish they had that and it was actually good, like in Civ IV or something.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

I encountered that desperation mechanic one time. I basically wanted to play 'Atilla's Fun Conquering Adventure' and booted up a TSL huge earth map as Atilla. After sweeping through much of eastern Europe and pushing down to the Caspian and Black Sea, taking some cities along the way and 2 city-states, the entirety of the known world declared war on me and picked apart my empire until I was left with little more than my original capital. I tend to play on Emperor/Immortal, so it was quite a surprise for me to experience such a smackdown from the AI.

Oddly enough, it was one of the most enjoyable games of Civ I've played as a result, despite losing. It's not often that Civ games simulate actual history and the dynamic rise and fall of empires- most of it's a snowball mechanic, and winners tend to keep winning, especially when it's human vs ai. My favourite games always involve such a thing happening; catastrophic upturns in democracy and major empires tumbled.

The most epic takedown I ever witnessed was of a Pan-Eurasian Mongolian empire on a TSL map. They were far out in the lead, and unfortunately I was in western Europe and not able to effect any resistance against their runaway victory. Thankfully, the struggling remnants of Atilla, China, Siam, Persia, and Russia teamed up to effectively genocide the Mongolians, partitioning their territory very organically as the Mongolia experienced a score free-fall from first place to 0. Felt like a miniature retread of the actual Mongolian empire.

In that vein, is there a Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod for Civ 5?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

The stack of doom is alive and well in CiV. My favorite homeboy Shaka was waging war with me again, and during a small island-hopping portion of the war I watched as eighteen (18) Great War Bombers (and no triplanes) showed up on the island I was closest to. I threw everything I had at the city to try and take it out in one turn before they'd wipe out most of my navy - 3 carriers full of bombers and a few fighters even and 3 battleships - and I had a lone ironclad just barely in range who had a 50/50 chance of finishing off the city.

He finished it.

My Screen posted:

"Your ironclad (0 damage) has destroyed an enemy great war bomber."
x18

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Teron D Amun posted:

In that vein, is there a Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod for Civ 5?
Not yet, since it took them so long to release the real SDK, but it is in development.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

The stack of doom is alive and well in CiV. My favorite homeboy Shaka was waging war with me again, and during a small island-hopping portion of the war I watched as eighteen (18) Great War Bombers (and no triplanes) showed up on the island I was closest to. I threw everything I had at the city to try and take it out in one turn before they'd wipe out most of my navy - 3 carriers full of bombers and a few fighters even and 3 battleships - and I had a lone ironclad just barely in range who had a 50/50 chance of finishing off the city.

He finished it.

The AI unit spawning is interesting sometimes. I had a game where I had America pinned down on another continent and then suddenly 25 separate ships appear in a huge death fleet headed for my nearest city. They were subsequently destroyed by submarines but still.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

He finished it.

This is my biggest problem with late-game combat. The AI will either ignore air completely, or come up with a ridiculous bomber stack. I saw Songhai put 40 bombers in a city when he got lucky and ended up with all the map's oil. There really should be a limit of at least six per city or something. Maybe three and another three if it has an airport?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Limiting the basket size is a good idea but the AI will still see no problem in putting the maximum number of eggs in each one.

I think air-warfare is one area where the combat AI can be improved quite markedly, whereas the land-warfare AI is probably pretty unsalvageable thanks to the countless considerations of movement points, terrain, zones of control and range/melee juggling. Air warfare has some incredibly simple rules to it and the AI mostly uses planes in the same way I do, with the notable exception of distributing them in a horribly vulnerable way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It will never stop amusing me that you can research The Internet without ever having researched Computers.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

It will never stop amusing me that you can research The Internet without ever having researched Computers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

This is how I've always chosen to rationalize it, yeah. Imagining this huge flock of Indian carrier pigeons spreading word about our sweet tourism just cracks me up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kyrosiris posted:

In Vanilla you could get the atomic bomb (and plane to drop it) without Flight

Also great war infantry, battleships, and modern armour without rifling.

And frigates without iron-working.

I guess the tech tree has never been water-tight (which, as a sperg, I find annoying :colbert:)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've always loved to imagine those alternate tech paths. I'd love it if as a nod to the silliness, unit graphics would change to show things like the bomb dropped by a balloon if flight wasn't researched.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Let's super charge this hot air balloon!
Would an nuclear energy powered zeppelin be considered steam punk, or don't I get that gimmick at all?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Christ, imagine the attack animation duration on that one.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Daktari posted:

Let's super charge this hot air balloon!
Would an nuclear energy powered zeppelin be considered steam punk, or don't I get that gimmick at all?

It would be steampunk if the steam generated by the nuclear reactor directly drove the mechanical parts of the zeppelin, rather than running a turbine to generate electricity to power everything.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Kyrosiris posted:

Semaphore. You can send words and pictures via it.

...Still don't feel right. I still feel very slow. By everyone's talk here one would think that the AI is easily beaten to everything, crushed in all ways. I'm not feeling that and I wonder whether the fault is here or all my own.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 20, 2013

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jolan posted:

Christ, imagine the attack animation duration on that one.

I've just had flashbacks of Red Alert 2.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've always loved to imagine those alternate tech paths. I'd love it if as a nod to the silliness, unit graphics would change to show things like the bomb dropped by a balloon if flight wasn't researched.

That would probably require more effort than would be worth it for the developers...but it'd still be hilarious.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, I just finished my first BNW game, and I have to say that this was one of the strangest games of Civ I ever played. Up until mid-to-late game, the world was this big happy family of hugs and DoFs. No one attacked anyone else, and the one time that Poland decided to declare war on me, they just shuffled their units indecisively around my borders for a few turns before offering peace, no shots fired.

Things changed once we got ideologies, but the continued global peace allowed me to flourish as Venice and got to very easily do three different victories on king (yeah, no big deal, but it felt almost like playing on Settler).

Question, do barbarians now actively ignore missionaries?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've done a few games now with various civs and seem to keep going with cultural victories (probably because of my leftover compulsion from Civ 4 to BUILD EVERY WONDER POSSIBLE), so I want to try something else.

Is the idea in a game with Venice to own trade routes and go for a diplomatic victory, and turn everything you conquer into puppets?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I've done a few games now with various civs and seem to keep going with cultural victories (probably because of my leftover compulsion from Civ 4 to BUILD EVERY WONDER POSSIBLE), so I want to try something else.

Is the idea in a game with Venice to own trade routes and go for a diplomatic victory, and turn everything you conquer into puppets?

Really that's a winning strategy for every civilization and every victory condition, but most of the cool poo poo you can do as Venice involves using some of your extra trade routes to pump food into the capital until you have a supercity, and from there go anywhere. If you actually use the UA to assimilate city-states that kind of shoots you in the foot diplomatically by reducing the number of votes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ideally Venice shouldn't absorb more than two or three city-states, preferably those with a naval trade route to Venice so they can pump it with double food and double production. The rest of the Merchants of Venice should be used to create mad cash reserves with trade missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
OK, dumb question, how do you send food to your capital if you can only have one city (since Venice can't make settlers?)

• Locked thread