Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

caberham posted:

:swoon: Man I you guys have take me to Tibetan food next time! When are you guys coming to HK again? I ran out of Yak jerky :qq:
Next time you come to the southwest, let me know. I'll try to get some homemade dried on a rock in the open air yak jerky. Its really goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
So the school I plan to work for, American TPR English School in Zhuhai, mailed me all of the paperwork necessary for me to obtain a Z Visa through Worldwide Express Mail Service. With the tracking number, I can see that the package left Guangzhou on 8/20 (which I think is Chinese yesterday) for Chicago.

TPR recommended that I purchase a ticket to Hong Kong for the 29th, and my concern is that I won't receive the paperwork soon enough to bring everything to the Consulate and acquire the Z-Visa in time for my flight. Does anybody know the average turnaround in this situation? As far as I know, I'll have everything necessary to obtain the Visa smoothly, but I've seen widely varying estimates for how long it may take.

The school: A. recommended I buy a ticket for this specific date, and B. were entirely in charge of delivering the Z-Visa documents to me, so I just sorta trusted their estimate on how long things would take. Now I'm worried that I might be sorta hosed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bloodnose posted:

Cathay is my favorite airline that flies out of HK for anything. But even setting that aside, I would not choose Hong Kong Airlines because they will literally cause you to explode and die.
Service and everything's good. Livery is aging, but comfortable enough and seems to mostly have IFE on long haul in economy, albeit a bit dated in my experience.

Catchment and marketing, though, has made Auntie Pacific the Hong Kong baby formula of airlines.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Rental Sting posted:

TPR recommended that I purchase a ticket to Hong Kong for the 29th, and my concern is that I won't receive the paperwork soon enough to bring everything to the Consulate and acquire the Z-Visa in time for my flight. Does anybody know the average turnaround in this situation? As far as I know, I'll have everything necessary to obtain the Visa smoothly, but I've seen widely varying estimates for how long it may take.

I thnk you can pay for a same day rush service with your Z Visa, although you should pass the $30 cost for this on to the school (inform them that you will do this and state that if they object you can take a later flight).

If you have bought the ticket prior to receiving the visa then you are a braver man than I. Normally it is not considered advisable to do this. Has the package cleared customs?

Also, remember that what your employer tells you to do in this instance may not be based on very much. It's better than even odds that your contact in the school has never applied for a visa in their life and has no idea what the service and application process is inside the US. Show them how long it takes to get a visa processed by linking directly to the website of the local consulate and then politley tell them what you are going to do.

General advice, do not trust your employer's judgement more than your own.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 21, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Auntie Pacific :laffo: Compared to China Airlines, Air China, China Eastern, China Southern, EVA air, Cathay Pacific is good.

But Singapore is good too because Singaporeans are stingy uptight entitled pieces of poo poo. So their service is truly spectacular :downsrim: I still remember a Cathay flight attendant friend of mine bitching about flying to Singapore :allears:

The inflight entertainment is not bad, I think they just installed a UI and made everything more responsive. Business class was awesome :swoon: You get almost flat seats and your own private cubicle with really comfortable noise cancelling head sets.

It's been 10 years since I have flown business, but man for long hauls it's so much cooler!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

GuestBob posted:

I thnk you can pay for a same day rush service with your Z Visa, although you should pass the $30 cost for this on to the school (inform them that you will do this and state that if they object you can take a later flight).

If you have bought the ticket prior to receiving the visa then you are a braver man than I. Normally it is not considered advisable to do this. Has the package cleared customs?

Yes, if Google translate is to be believed, the package has cleared customs. I'm not sure how long it takes for a package to get to Chicago from Guangzhou, but I'm guessing it's not overnight.

That's good news about the rush service option, I'll probably have to use it. Sure, it was somewhat foolish of me to buy a ticket in advance, but I didn't want to risk paying the extra $150 for a same-week ticket. I'm also mad that I chose United over Cathay, seeing all of the recent praise in this thread. I was just thinking .

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rental Sting posted:

I'm also mad that I chose United over Cathay, seeing all of the recent praise in this thread.

:stare:

Have you ever been to China before? if it's next Thursday I can set you up in HK, exchange some RMB for some awesome American dollars :911: and send you on your way.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
As a general rule, US airlines suck. They may not be the worst in the world, but there ain't a one worth taking over a good Asian airline.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

A former coworker always flies United because he was in Tokyo when the tsunami hit a couple years back and they let him fly first class back to LA for free. That's pretty good.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

...good Asian airline.

Apart from Royal Brunei no gin and tonics allowed!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The one time I flew Air France it was on par with Cathay Pacific, I think.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MeramJert posted:

A former coworker always flies United because he was in Tokyo when the tsunami hit a couple years back and they let him fly first class back to LA for free. That's pretty good.

Oh, he must have been traumatized! Did his coffee get spilled?

(I was in Tokyo during the quake, too. It wasn't that bad.)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Air France: the bread is much nicer, and they serve this!

But when it comes to service and in flight entertainment, Cathay is better.

Why not? you paid for it, might as well use it

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 21, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
people still care about in flight entertainment?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VideoTapir posted:

Oh, he must have been traumatized! Did his coffee get spilled?

(I was in Tokyo during the quake, too. It wasn't that bad.)

I'm not saying he was traumatized, I'm just saying United was pretty cool to let him fly back to LA for free (on first class!)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Air France: the bread is much nicer, and they serve this!

But when it comes to service and in flight entertainment, Cathay is better.

Why not? you paid for it, might as well use it

Yeah and also they kept pushing free bottles of wine on me, which was cool.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

VideoTapir posted:

The selection of in-flight movies on Air Canada is awesome. They have lots of artsy independent films and cool lesser-known TV shows in addition to the normal blockbuster/network fare. Also their international films are usually subtitled in multiple languages so you can watch French or Japanese movies you've never heard of before instead of Big Bang Theory or whatever. They also showcase a lot of awesome and creative Canadian short films.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

caberham posted:

:stare:

Have you ever been to China before? if it's next Thursday I can set you up in HK, exchange some RMB for some awesome American dollars :911: and send you on your way.

Nope. Haven't even left the country before. I wish I chose Cathay, since the prices were identical, and all. But hey, it's only fifteen hours of my life.

I'd love to take you up on your offer, Caberham, but the school is directing me to jump on a ferry that leaves directly from HKIA to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai. That's a pretty convenient ferry, but I was hoping to be able to check out Hong Kong. I'm sure I'll get a chance in the coming weeks.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Rental Sting posted:

I'd love to take you up on your offer, Caberham, but the school is directing me to jump on a ferry that leaves directly from HKIA to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai. That's a pretty convenient ferry, but I was hoping to be able to check out Hong Kong. I'm sure I'll get a chance in the coming weeks.

Please for your own sake post this comment in the LAN thread.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Big Alf posted:

Please for your own sake post this comment in the LAN thread.

I see what you're saying, but it was a direct reply to a post in this thread.

Anyway, noted.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoTapir posted:

I like to catch up on the movies that I didn't get a chance to see, didn't want to pay to see, or what have never seen unless I was in such a situation.

Delta and United usually have a good selection. American was pretty awful.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Yes. People still care about being entertained while in flight.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Rental Sting posted:

...the school is directing me...

It certainly is.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
A friend of mine flew China Eastern from NYC to Beijing. Forgot to charge his iPad and didn't bring anything to read. No big deal since there's in-flight entertainment, right? He spent 16 hours looking at the back of the seat in front of him. No personal screen, communal screens only showed Chinese hitorical dramas with no subs.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Smeef posted:

No personal screen, communal screens only showed Chinese hitorical dramas with no subs.

'historical' (:eng101:) is completely redundant here.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Rental Sting posted:

I see what you're saying, but it was a direct reply to a post in this thread.

Anyway, noted.

Oh you misunderstood, I wasn't being all supergoon or anything. I meant I think you should post this on the LAN thread as from what you have described about your employee so far, you might get some advice on there that probably isn't suitable for this thread. But advice you could probably do with hearing in your situation.

See Guestbob comment for a small taster.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I flew ANA/United codeshare Japan - USA this summer. Both were operated by United but had totally different vibes. Osaka - SFO had helpful staff but no personal tvs. Chicago - Tokyo had surly nitpicky staff but personal tvs. Idk with codeshares everything is unpredictable.
But because I had an ANA membership my overweight luggage was $60 instead of $200 and they bumped me up to Premium because I had some soon-to-expire miles. : D

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Uhh Cathay had like 2 seasons of Veep, a season of curb your enthusiasm and the entirety of the IT Crowd and Black Books on my flight from HK to Frankfurt. They also had a ton of movies and a ton of other shows, it was pretty drat good.

Compared to DELTA which wanted $1.99USD per episode of non-Friends/Two and a Half Men/Big Bang Theory shows :argh:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rental Sting posted:

So the school I plan to work for, American TPR English School in Zhuhai, mailed me all of the paperwork necessary for me to obtain a Z Visa through Worldwide Express Mail Service. With the tracking number, I can see that the package left Guangzhou on 8/20 (which I think is Chinese yesterday) for Chicago.

The school: A. recommended I buy a ticket for this specific date, and B. were entirely in charge of delivering the Z-Visa documents to me, so I just sorta trusted their estimate on how long things would take. Now I'm worried that I might be sorta hosed.

You're going to be cutting it super close based on everything going smoothly. I did the Chinese embassy in Chicago in 2009 and missed the cut off for same day Z processing by about 15 minutes and I had to wait the weekend. Ugh. Get there early and get same day and you should, repeat SHOULD, have it by the 28 no problem. drat you cut that close though.

I am in charge of hiring a girl from Chicago right now and I told her we will buy the ticket after she has the visa. I'll put it on the company bill, missing flights always freaks me out.

Edit: it's only the 21st...you should be fine. Should only be a few days.

Thought it was like the 25th haha. No idea why.

Edit 2: it just left?? I thought it arrived. Ok you will be cutting it close. Good luck.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 21, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Uhh Cathay had like 2 seasons of Veep, a season of curb your enthusiasm and the entirety of the IT Crowd and Black Books on my flight from HK to Frankfurt. They also had a ton of movies and a ton of other shows, it was pretty drat good.

Compared to DELTA which wanted $1.99USD per episode of non-Friends/Two and a Half Men/Big Bang Theory shows :argh:

I've seen about half of Curb Your Enthusiasm and I've never watched it except on Cathay Pacific flights.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rental Sting posted:

Nope. Haven't even left the country before. I wish I chose Cathay, since the prices were identical, and all. But hey, it's only fifteen hours of my life.

If you want to acclimate to Chinese culture right away, ignore tr ferry, go hang out with caberham for two days, then make up some transparent bullshit excuse and show up happy a few days later. Really. Do this.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Big Alf posted:

Oh you misunderstood, I wasn't being all supergoon or anything. I meant I think you should post this on the LAN thread as from what you have described about your employee so far, you might get some advice on there that probably isn't suitable for this thread. But advice you could probably do with hearing in your situation.

See Guestbob comment for a small taster.

I'm on my iPhone and not responding properly so I guess my above post should go in the LAN thread also

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I also endorse that suggestion. Unironically. And being in Hong Kong, I will buy you a moon cake to celebrate.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Magna Kaser posted:

lol, they're actually charging money for their lovely shows now? I wonder when they'll figure out they can just depressurize the cabin, drop the masks and charge you for your air.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Actually just hope it rains the day you get in, you can then do whatever the hell you want and as long as it rained, you are totally covered.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cathay Pacific is now just sounding more and more awesome. Unfortunately I'll only have a very short flight with them (Shanghai to Hong Kong) and then the long haul on South African Airways (not terrible, but no Cathay Pacific :swoon:). Going to have to come up with some excuse to do a long flight with CP.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
If you can fly Emirates or Ethiad they are better than Cathay in my experience.

To be fair I flew from Doha to HK with Cathay and it was a horrible flight as parents refused to buckle in their kids and seemed to be confused by how to use a western toilet which had piss all over the floor.

Nothing was as fun as flying from Nepal though, Ethiad staff going mental at people trying to make calls during take off, people trying to move around and trying to smoke. I felt pretty sorry for em!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hong Kong and maybe Taiwan goons, how often are there typhoons? How regularly are there swell warnings? Do you know any surfers there, and have any idea how regularly they get in the water?

EDIT: And while we are on the subject of flights, have you guys gone with Malaysia Airlines before? Any comments?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Malaysia is fine, it gets good marks. Basically, most Asian flag carriers or major Asian carriers north of Indonesia are fine as long as they're not tiny, poor countries that shouldn't really have an airline. If you're flying Singapore, THAI, Malaysian, Cathay, JAL, ANA, Korea, EVA and so on you're going to have an experience that's 100,000 times better than every single American airline experience you've had and you will quickly understand why every American who lives abroad says, "Never fly an American legacy carrier - especially internationally." Don't fly Indonesia- or Philippines-based carriers for safety reasons (it takes a lot of work to get banned from EU/US), that's where the "North of Indonesia" comment comes from. Obviously there are some major carrier stinkers, especially in the more established economies up North like Taiwan and China.

On a side note, this is a list everyone should keep handy:
http://maphappy.org/2012/07/wine-the-ultimate-list-of-airlines-that-serve-free-alcohol/

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I cannot endorse Singapore Airlines enough. The service was amazing and even coach felt luxurious (well, compared to Delta anyway). The in-flight entertainment selection was great: lots to choose from and a good mix of new and old. This really does matter when you are stuck on a plane for fourteen hours. I too experienced the horror of no in-flight entertainment due to a broken headphone jack (thanks Delta!) and the boredom is indescribable. I have no idea how people stay sane in solitary confinement.