Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Took some photos with a new lens at the weekly Wednesday night car show they have during the summer at Portland International Raceway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
This just showed up in my facebook feed. It definitely belongs in this thread. Don't know why. But it does.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Best footwell ever.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The way I see it, unless I plan to spend a lot of time at the track I'd never get my money's worth out of a proper high performance supercar like an MP4-12C, so why not go for a car that's still fast enough to get in plenty of trouble, but sounds and looks significantly better than cars costing 3x as much. Maseratis may not be performance monsters, but they have presense a lot of the performance monsters don't even come close to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

with a crossplane crank (like American V8s) instead of a flatplane crank.

?

Cross-plane has little to do with "American V8s." Almost every road going v8-powered vehicle regardless of origin has a cross-plane crank because it's smooth and tame. Flat plane V8s are quick too rev due to not having a need for counterbalance on the crank, but they mostly feel unrefined and have nasty vibration. Reducing this requires light con rods and a shorter stroke and often times balance shafts. All of this is expensive, and results in an engine that is best suited to a high end sports car, which is why that's about the only place you'll find them.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Just a nice GTO I saw at the grocery store; really clean. For some reason I like seeing fun cars in handicapped parking spots; I imagine someone with some sort of physical disability deserves what fun they can get behind the wheel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

?

Cross-plane has little to do with "American V8s." Almost every road going v8-powered vehicle regardless of origin has a cross-plane crank because it's smooth and tame. Flat plane V8s are quick too rev due to not having a need for counterbalance on the crank, but they mostly feel unrefined and have nasty vibration. Reducing this requires light con rods and a shorter stroke and often times balance shafts. All of this is expensive, and results in an engine that is best suited to a high end sports car, which is why that's about the only place you'll find them.

Duly noted.

People usually compare crossplane to flatplane by comparing the burble of a classic American V8 with the scream of a Ferrari V8. That's the direction I was going in.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

blk posted:

Just a nice GTO I saw at the grocery store; really clean. For some reason I like seeing fun cars in handicapped parking spots; I imagine someone with some sort of physical disability deserves what fun they can get behind the wheel.

A GTO with stacked headlights is one of my dream cars. So good.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

KozmoNaut posted:

Duly noted.

People usually compare crossplane to flatplane by comparing the burble of a classic American V8 with the scream of a Ferrari V8. That's the direction I was going in.

Best place I saw an example of the difference was at the V8 Supercars races in Austin earlier this year. You _knew_ when the Mercedes were approaching your seats. The scream is ungodly compared to the 'tame' crossplaned cars.
I'm glad to see that Team Erebus is finally getting some bugs out and climbing in the standings with those cars. Their owner, Betty, is an awesome lady and really loves the sport and her guys.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's one driven in the Italian way (ie. complete disregard for any sort of safety at all):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnaMSSXBwwY
An Italian with that car would never drive like that. Even the poors in Italy have more class than that dumbass.

Besides, this clownshoe is bombing around Andorra.

Sounded nice, though!

emf fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 22, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
gently caress the Maserati, there's a Panda 4x4 parked at the side of the road where they first pull out! :neckbeard:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 22, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Best footwell ever.

Disagree:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

This guy knows what's up.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

drgitlin posted:

Disagree:

You're correct, the other guy is wrong.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I want a car with a monochrome plasma touchscreen in the dashboard.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

i jump started Gerald's W8 for him at my first job ... Should've asked if I could drive it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

88h88 posted:

And this because wow...

That's... a '95-96 Jeep Cherokee! :stonk:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

That's... a '95-96 Jeep Cherokee! :stonk:

was

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

atomicthumbs posted:

That's an awful huge area to step over getting in and out of the car. Is that the gear lever on the left you have to step over?

Who is Gerald?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

That's an awful huge area to step over getting in and out of the car. Is that the gear lever on the left you have to step over?

Who is Gerald?

I thought it was the park break.

And who the hell thinks a center-line pedal box in a side-by-side 2 seater is a good idea?

edit: Have a picture

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 22, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Who is Gerald?
I believe that IS the automatic shift lever, but it's been awhile since I actually saw it. If I recall correctly, that's the shifter, and the parking break is just forward and inboard of that (up and right in the picture, between the lever and the pedals).

In practice, it's not that difficult to step over - not nearly as bad as, say, an Elise to get into, but probably still not a great idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Wiegert

(tl;dr: The guy who developed that car.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OptimusMatrix posted:

Best footwell ever.

These look completely useless. It's like they're designed to slip your shoes off if you have even the slightest bit of moisture on them.

KozmoNaut posted:

Duly noted.

Old American v8's sound that way because they have a different firing order to continental v8's (some would say 'worse' from a performance standpoint but whatever). Pretty sure they switched to a 'conventional' sequence around the late 80's when the newer generation of injected engines started coming out.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Slavvy posted:

These look completely useless. It's like they're designed to slip your shoes off if you have even the slightest bit of moisture on them.

Old American v8's sound that way because they have a different firing order to continental v8's (some would say 'worse' from a performance standpoint but whatever). Pretty sure they switched to a 'conventional' sequence around the late 80's when the newer generation of injected engines started coming out.

The sound is due to unbalanced exhaust pulses. Each bank of cylinders in a cross-plane V8 will fire two cylinders in the same bank sequentially, i.e. 12112122 vs. 12121212 for a flat-plane. It's why x-pipes in the exhaust can have such an effect on performance vs. separate exhaust pipes. The crossover allows the excess gasses an outlet. The alternative is to cross a primary or two over to the opposite bank's header collector like Ford did with the GT40.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 22, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And oh boy do crossover headers sound good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoAPfJ4Rkbs

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wallaka posted:

The sound is due to unbalanced exhaust pulses. Each bank of cylinders in a cross-plane V8 will fire two cylinders in the same bank sequentially, i.e. 12112122 vs. 12121212 for a flat-plane. It's why x-pipes in the exhaust can have such an effect on performance vs. separate exhaust pipes. The crossover allows the excess gasses an outlet. The alternative is to cross a primary or two over to the opposite bank's header collector like Ford did with the GT40.

Yeees, all this is true, but if you compare the firing order of an LS1 or 6.1 hemi or a BMW s60, it's different to that of an SBC or an old school hemi or a cobra jet or whatever. Literally the cylinders fire in a different order.

So essentially you have the 'oldschool' v8 sound which has the retarded firing order, the conventional crossplane crank firing order of almost every current v8 engine, and the flat plane engine like Ferrari (and nascar?) use.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

blk posted:

I use a wheelchair and drive a Ford Lightning for this reason. Everything I do is pretty slow and frustrating, but when I'm out driving around it's so awesome to be able to have some mean acceleration from time to time.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I have a friend who suffered a spinal injury and spent his compo on turning his monaro into a hand controlled monster. It's loving awesome!

Meanwhile, Here some awesome cars from my university dirt lot:

Falcon's everywhere this morning.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Slavvy posted:

These look completely useless. It's like they're designed to slip your shoes off if you have even the slightest bit of moisture on them..

They're off the Zonda so you know they're not useless. You're buying a function piece of art when you buy a Zonda.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

The pedals look like they're in the center of the footwell almost..like you're sitting at a 30* angle to hit them.

Here's another Maserati

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Owsla posted:

I use a wheelchair and drive a Ford Lightning for this reason. Everything I do is pretty slow and frustrating, but when I'm out driving around it's so awesome to be able to have some mean acceleration from time to time.

Naughty parking, that truck is clearly red. :colbert:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Well I'm definitely going to have to buy a Maserati GranTurismo one day... I don't know where I'm going to get the money, maybe I can sell a few organs. But then how will I pay for the repairs? Regardless, I have to have one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wvP3p56vc

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I was recently reminded of the classic poster, and realized that the cars in it may not have been the best available at the time:

What are the cars in the iconic poster of our youth? From left, I see some form of Ferrari, Porsche 944 (that one's pretty obvious), generic German car, Corvette, and a thing I can't even guess at.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

I was recently reminded of the classic poster, and realized that the cars in it may not have been the best available at the time:

What are the cars in the iconic poster of our youth? From left, I see some form of Ferrari, Porsche 944 (that one's pretty obvious), generic German car, Corvette, and a thing I can't even guess at.

Seriously?

Ferrari 308, Porsche 928, Mercedes Benz SL, Corvette, BMW 3xxi.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

wallaka posted:

True stuff here. Fun fact: the S65 in the outgoing (outgone?) M3 is a cross-plane V8, but the GT class race cars use a flat-plane V8 so they didn't need all that crossover pipe fuckery.
Here's the footwell from an IMSA M3!

e: ^^Not a Ferrari 308, Ferrari 512BB

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Krakkles posted:

Seriously?

In my defense, I had this on my wall at the time:

I was never really into the Euro sportscars.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Neptr posted:

e: ^^Not a Ferrari 308, Ferrari 512BB
Dammit, yeah. I checked my work on google, but apparently not well enough.

And DM, that's fair - I'd prefer a Shelby any day over ... well, over all except the ferrari. I would probably still choose the Shelby, but I'd have to at least think about it with the ferrari.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Seriously?

Really....being a Porsche guy I have to add that the 928 is the most expensive regular production car Porsche has ever made to date (inflation adjusted). The 944 is a Cayman in modern terms, with the 924 being the Boxster. The 928 would be closest to a current day Panamera (the 928 was slated to replace the 911 so it doesn't have a true current parallel as a true GT car).

:sperg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Krakkles posted:

Seriously?

I think the MB is a W126 560SEL, not an SL.