Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

what keyboard should i get yospos, are kinesises actually that much better than flat keyboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

the apple wireless keyboard should suit your needs perfectly.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

yaoi prophet posted:

what keyboard should i get yospos, are kinesises actually that much better than flat keyboards
Model M or go home.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this has not been true for years, you can use any jdk

red hat comes with openjdk out of the box and that will run most code most of the time. (supposedly openjdk 7 is much better on compatibility than 6, but it is only in RHEL 6 so i haven't spent much time with it)

red hat actually like pays people full time to work on openjdk, i think they are the only major contributor aside from oracle and ibm

isnt openjdk just the oracle jdk with something or other stripped out

Shaggar posted:

also you cant use the official tomcat packages from centos cause they'll be full of fail like gcj and bad configs. idk if that's your fault or not.

centos java packages are so bad aside from jdk. however the only one you really need the distro to do a good job of is the jdk so it works out well enough

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

til if you pass null to a varargs method in java, the varargs array will be null. however if you pass two nulls, it will be a two element array containing nulls. good stuff

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nomnom Cookie posted:

OpenJDK 7 is the reference implementation, OpenJDK 6 is quite different and slow for various features as people generally develop to the Sun JDK reference.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
what happened with jeffatw's forums thing? that looked cool dumb.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

hey look at what was just posted in the fatwood thread

quote:

the best keyboard is that giant fuckoff microsoft ergonomic thing with the weird toggle switch in the middle

also java sucks, just so everyone knows

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yaoi prophet posted:

for you? a broken one.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

what happened with jeffatw's forums thing? that looked cool dumb.

he found two marks willing to pay him to beta test it and then moved on to keyboards

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you don't need an ergonomic keyboard if you use vim because it has non-retarded shortcuts thanks to the use of modal editing :smug:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:smuggo:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

yaoi prophet posted:

they stopped my wrists hurting, so i like em

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

yaoi prophet posted:

i would tell you the answer but i don't like you

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

yaoi prophet posted:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf104&pid=xf01t0

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

yaoi prophet posted:

Left thumb = backspace is gold.

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

Meiwaku posted:

Left thumb = backspace is gold.

what is right thumb?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

FOLLOW ME BRUH posted:

what is right thumb?

space, i assume

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
just ordered a kinesis "Freestyle2 VIP3™ Accessory"

(no keypad, which worries me a bit. and it's not wireless -- had to make sure of that before i ordered)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prefect posted:

just ordered a kinesis "Freestyle2 VIP3™ Accessory"

(no keypad, which worries me a bit. and it's not wireless -- had to make sure of that before i ordered)

does it double as a bolas

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stringent posted:

does it double as a bolas

they have one with a 20" connecting cable that could probably bola-ize somebody. this one's a nine-inch model, so it's more nunchuckish

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I've never had ergonomic issues with normal keyboards.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

I've never had ergonomic issues with normal keyboards.

maybe my wrists just aren't as high-quality; after some years, i started to have occasional bouts of tendinitis. ergo keyboards helped a huge amount with that. i've since moved up the chain to actual carpal tunnel syndrome (hooray)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prefect posted:

maybe my wrists just aren't as high-quality; after some years, i started to have occasional bouts of tendinitis. ergo keyboards helped a huge amount with that. i've since moved up the chain to actual carpal tunnel syndrome (hooray)

shaggar doesn't have wrists

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

prefect posted:

if you can afford time to make the change: try a non-qwerty keyboard layout. dvorak was a huge improvement for me not because the layout is anything special but because it stamped out ten years of bad habits + uncomfortable movements in my muscle memory

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Stringent posted:

shaggar doesn't have wrists

you don't need to type much to write Java, the IDE writes most of it for you, the rest of the time is spent with the mouse clicking through the refactoring options

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yep. code smarter, not harder.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
"code"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coffeetable posted:

if you can afford time to make the change: try a non-qwerty keyboard layout. dvorak was a huge improvement for me not because the layout is anything special but because it stamped out ten years of bad habits + uncomfortable movements in my muscle memory

i would consider it, except that many of the people who use dvorak layout are incredibly obnoxious and i have trouble getting past that

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

prefect posted:

i would consider it, except that many of the people who use dvorak layout are incredibly obnoxious and i have trouble getting past that

how are you still working in tech

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dvorak is like left-handed mousing. any such adaptation that makes you utterly incompetent with >99% of computers is hugely stupid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coffeetable posted:

how are you still working in tech

i am angry a lot

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

coffeetable posted:

dvorak is incredibly fast but all your fingers have to be in good shape. I have tendonitis in my pinkies and tried dvorak. all it did was make my left hand feel better (no more pushing "A" with left pinky) and my right hand feel terrible ("L" and "S" with right pinky).

now I run with a completely custom keyboard layout that deemphasizes my pinkies. it's the only reason I can still type.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

yaoi prophet posted:

I figured if I spend all day on a keyboard might as well get the best one possible. worth every penny.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

tef posted:

you don't need to type much to write Java, the IDE writes most of it for you, the rest of the time is spent with the mouse clicking through the refactoring options

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

let's say i want to learn a bit of C# - are there specific references that are great for getting to know the language features and .net and all?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msdn

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

The Leck posted:

let's say i want to learn a bit of C# - are there specific references that are great for getting to know the language features and .net and all?

MSDN definitely and C# in depth after that. there's a new edition coming out soon if you want to wait to order that, C# in depth really is more of a second book anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

yes, but the poo poo that gets stripped/changed can be really frustrating

things off the top of my head
  • anything sun.* is missing -- most notably sun.misc.Base64Encoder
  • the browser plugin is gone (reimplemented in icedtea)
  • java web start is gone (reimplemented in icedtea)
  • a ton of MBeans/JMX stuff is missing/reimplemented

it's the small stuff.

the java TCK just doesn't cover very much. it makes sure your compiler does the right thing, and your jvm executes bytecodes, and you have the std library. that's pretty much it. all the surrounding infrastructure can be missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

mmm, yes, internal apis, java in the browser, and a framework for making mutable enterprisy structs, vital things.