Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

And c'mon, please tell me by not jumping on Assad two years ago is some magical excuse to ignore a chemical weapons attack?

It's not an excuse, I'm just saying that we can't fix anything now. Not without taking actions we don't have the political will to support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

It's not an excuse, I'm just saying that we can't fix anything now. Not without taking actions we don't have the political will to support.

We can't fix the Syria situation period. The only thing we can do is attempt to modulate the use of chemical weapons. Any talk of removing Assad or installing our own government is doomed to failure. That's why there won't be any invasion and the bare bones minimum amount of help to select rebel groups.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
If Obama cannot justify some sort of attack now, after chemical weapons have almost certainly been used, how would he ever been able to sell some sort of intervention two years ago?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

Sure, but that would mean he wants to use the chemical weapons, but does not want to suffer the consequences. That would suggest that he would respond to actions that disincentivise his use of chemical weapons. If he really didn't care about consequences, he would just be like "I did it so what, gently caress y'all deal with it."

But what if it was a Fake Assad ordering a Fake Renegade Attack Call, in an obvious False Flag Op to draw international attention AWAY from the return of the Military in Egypt, enabling their SECRET backing of the rebel forces through the "Rogue" Sinai area, through underground tunnels into Israel where the Zionist Mossad agent, also known as "Brown Moses", smuggles them into Syria by way of the Golan heights.

All on the orders of a Single Mastermind.

Gentlemen, what I am saying is, and I'm not yet 100% certain, but like 99.9% certain, is that the Supreme Commander behind the Rebel Forces is none other than...

Caro.

Occam's Razor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

There is no clean, happy on all sides solution. No matter what we do, there will be large criticisms and big problems.

Sanctions? Problems from the FSA and possibly more Jihadists

Strikes? Problems with getting in the middle of the civil war.

There is no win, only losses, but what has the best solution? Neither really does.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Another solution would have been to remain silent and not set any red lines. It's worked for Bahrain, Yemen and the SCAF crackdown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Another solution would have been to remain silent and not set any red lines. It's worked for Bahrain, Yemen and the SCAF crackdown.

...and what? The chemical attacks would have never happened without the red line?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, it's probably the best action from the realist perspective, and what I would have done. But on the other hand, some dudes just got gassed and died in convulsions and foaming at the mouth and nose, so there's that. There may also be an overarching long range strategic goal governing chemical warfare containment by the US that I'm not understanding at the moment.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

There is no clean, happy on all sides solution. No matter what we do, there will be large criticisms and big problems.

Sanctions? Problems from the FSA and possibly more Jihadists

Strikes? Problems with getting in the middle of the civil war.

There is no win, only losses, but what has the best solution? Neither really does.
I am pretty sure the goal is to bomb Assad's bases/forces and weaken his ability to fight the rebels enough for him to realize he needs to run out of the country.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Toplowtech posted:

I am pretty sure the goal is to bomb Assad's bases/forces and weaken his ability to fight the rebels enough for him to realize he needs to run out of the country.

That seems like it would be the goal, or at least weaken his forces enough that the rebels are on even terms again.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

...and what? The chemical attacks would have never happened without the red line?

More like we pretend it never happened and carry on.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

CommieGIR posted:

It's a solution for Obama not being boxed in to have to take some kind of action, not a solution for preventing chemical agents from being used.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Well, there actually isn't. No matter how many times you repeat the speculation, it doesn't make it true. Until inspectors release actual evidence, there simply isn't any point in dreaming up fantasy scenarios.

There's a video of a rocket being launched which is the same design as a thermobaric.
There is debris on the ground that matches quite nicely with how a thermobaric rocket works (cloud dispersed, small charge triggered, remains fall through more or less in tact, even more-so if it's a dud.
And on the EtO side of it, propylene oxide is typically mixed in, and it's not uncommon for mistiming of the detonation charge to happen, which is why the US abandoned it in the first place. The only known nerve gas which even slightly resembles the claims is sarin, so, with all those tissue/blood samples, there should be fluoride ions present in significant amounts. The claims of miosis should also be fairly universal and last for quite some time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Well, there actually isn't. No matter how many times you repeat the speculation, it doesn't make it true. Until inspectors release actual evidence, there simply isn't any point in dreaming up fantasy scenarios.

There's a video of a rocket being launched which is the same design as a thermobaric.
There is debris on the ground that matches quite nicely with how a thermobaric rocket works (cloud dispersed, small charge triggered, remains fall through more or less in tact, even more-so if it's a dud.
And on the EtO side of it, propylene oxide is typically mixed in, and it's not uncommon for mistiming of the detonation charge to happen, which is why the US abandoned it in the first place. The only known nerve gas which even slightly resembles the claims is sarin, so, with all those tissue/blood samples, there should be fluoride ions present in significant amounts. The claims of miosis should also be fairly universal and last for quite some time.

Please, just stop.

Not enough of the chemical to cause the casualties caused. Doesn't jive with the Doctors Without Border's report. It just doesn't fit.

Also, its a thermobaric weapon, the entire point was to cause a massive explosion. I can see one dud, with maybe SOME people suffering the effects of exposure, but the numbers do not fit this idea. You are telling me 500+ people were in the immediate area of a failed thermobaric weapon, with 300+ suffering death due to exposure. In the middle of a shelling campaign.

Unless they rigged SEVERAL of the weapons to not explode on purpose to cause these effects, and then guess what? Its a chemical weapon attack then!

So what are you arguing for?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 29, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

More like we pretend it never happened and carry on.
We'd bomb Syria regardless of the Red Line comment. The comment just makes Obama look extra-ineffectual if we do nothing.

There is no conceivable world where Assad gasses civilians near Damascus, and the Western response is indifference.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 29, 2013

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

We'd bomb Syria regardless of the Red Line comment. The comment just makes Obama look extra-ineffectual if we do nothing.

There is no conceivable world where Assad gasses civilians near Damascus, and the Western response is indifference.

I dont think its a sure thing. The political winds seem to have shifted and were only begrudgingly throwing some cruise missiles because of the red line comment. Hell the brits seem to be losing a bit of their bluster already.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

QUILT_MONSTER_420 posted:

Probably places like Korea and Vietnam would have had a more sunny late 20th century, in terms of economic, civic, and infrastructural development, and maybe would have had less paranoid and more flexible governments -- without the multimegatons of bombs, napalm, and chemical warfare via defoliants that the USA inflicted on them and followed up with decades relentless economic warfare. Just a guess.

It would have been better had the USA gone home to work on perfecting big cars and TV dinners. Probably that's the case with every coup we backed and, every left-nationalist movement we helped crush, and almost every nation building exercise since the end of WWII, and something we should maybe think about before bombing yet another country.

"Probably" and "maybe" would required a fundamental change in the kind of people running dictatorships. The reason they get where they are is a megalomaniacal need for power backed up with the brutality needed to maintain it. There are dictators who haven't fought wars with the US and still manage to be paranoid monsters.

The US hasn't been skittles and kittens but without their influence the world would still have issues.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have enjoyed watching "centrists" everywhere fret about how we can't allow Iraq or Bush's legacy to make us drag our feet, as though it were a serious problem that this nation might be slightly more uneasy about engaging in another aggressive war.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Tezzor posted:

I have enjoyed watching "centrists" everywhere fret about how we can't allow Iraq or Bush's legacy to make us drag our feet, as though it were a serious problem that this nation might be slightly more uneasy about engaging in another aggressive war.

The phrase "fighting the last war" doesn't just apply to the Pentagon.

Personally, this whole situation reminds me of the relationship between Somalia and Rwanda. An over reaction to a previous gently caress up causes another gently caress up.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Tezzor posted:

If the US was considering actually going to war with Syria, you might be onto something. Saying the US might be in a war with Syria is I think actually offensive to the people living in a war zone, whether it's Syrians or NATO soldiers in Afghanistan. One of our destroyers/submarines lobbing some precision guided missiles and maybe some jets doing a few sorties does not constitute America being in a war. It will in no meaningful way affect Americans, either American service members or civilians.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This stuff about laymen making authoritative claims about weapons design from blurry Youtubes and pictures of scattered debris is seriously reminiscent of the breathless analysis of Pentagon lawn wreckage or the Terry Schiavo videos. You can certainly have your suspicions but it seems a mite insufficient to demand a rush to war.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

This stuff about laymen making authoritative claims about weapons design from blurry Youtubes and pictures of scattered debris is seriously reminiscent of the breathless analysis of Pentagon lawn wreckage or the Terry Schiavo videos. You can certainly have your suspicions but it seems a mite insufficient to demand a rush to war.

This is actually nothing like that though?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

Yeah instead you can be a guy smug about everything while offering nothing to refute said assertions.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amused to Death posted:

If the US was considering actually going to war with Syria, you might be onto something. Saying the US might be in a war with Syria is I think actually offensive to the people living in a war zone, whether it's Syrians or NATO soldiers in Afghanistan. One of our destroyers/submarines lobbing some precision guided missiles and maybe some jets doing a few sorties does not constitute America being in a war. It will in no meaningful way affect Americans, either American service members or civilians.

Oh. Well, your transparent pretense of offense aside, I wonder if we'd feel the same way about missiles and airstrikes to cripple a government and help violent rebel groups not constituting an act of war if it was Egypt doing it to Israel.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is actually nothing like that though?

David Cameron disagrees with you.

"Saving face" has to be about the dumbest reason to enter a war ever. At least Bush had a clear goal of deposing Saddam, even if he had no plan for what came after. We don't even have a goal, apart from "blow some of Assad's poo poo up and then pick up a pizza on the way home".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 29, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Amused to Death posted:

Gotta say I disagree with you. We will be participating in the Syrian civil war and we will be intervening. Trying to distance yourself from the symbolic associations of 'war' with another country does not change the effects American military action in Syria may have. If we attack their government, that is nothing but an act of war.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Something rather interesting about those munitions I've been examining, it seems while they are both about 333mm wide, which fits with them being launched from the Falaq-2, the heavier high explosive model has a longer tail section, while the "other" warhead type has a shorter tail, about 2 meters to 1.5 meters. This suggests a larger rocket motor is being used for the high explosive model.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Tezzor posted:

Oh. Well, your transparent pretense of offense aside, I wonder if we'd feel the same way about missiles and airstrikes to cripple a government and help violent rebel groups not constituting an act of war if it was Egypt doing it to Israel.

Israel is not currently in the middle of a war that has already killed 100,000 people in 2 years with an authoritarian leader who used chemical agents, either by direct order or by a complete breakdown of authority in his chain of command. So yes, it would be a bit odd if Egypt wrong if Egypt started doing that.(and yes, yes, Israel does terrible things to Palestinians but don't even try to equate the Palestinian problem to the current Syrian problem)

Michael Scott posted:

Gotta say I disagree with you. We will be participating in the Syrian civil war and we will be intervening. Trying to distance yourself from the symbolic associations of 'war' with another country does not change the effects American military action in Syria may have. If we attack their government, that is nothing but an act of war.

My problem isn't so much saying the US would be involved in a war, it's the constant portrayal that US is rushing off to war ala Iraq, as if we're starting a new war and putting on a massive campaign involving more than a few token elements of the navy.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Amused to Death posted:

Last I checked dropping bombs on a soverign state is an act of war, ground troops or not. You don't have to agree with me but Russia just called an emergency UN security council meeting meeting over Syria. Non english source

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

I wonder if the Syrians will see it that way. I'd imagine if a foreign naval vessel fired a few cruise missiles into US territory we'd be at war the second we found out who did it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amused to Death posted:

Israel is not currently in the middle of a war that has already killed 100,000 people in 2 years with an authoritarian leader who used chemical agents, either by direct order or by a complete breakdown of authority in his chain of command.

The existence of an authoritarian leader is of course irrelevant in practice to the US, and the war in Iraq killed at least that many people, yet I do not recall any calls for the international community to bomb the US and topple its government as a result. If Assad or his generals did use chemical weapons, I agree that they should be bombed, but I have not yet seen evidence of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, nor would I consider said action "not a war."

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Brown Moses posted:

Something rather interesting about those munitions I've been examining, it seems while they are both about 333mm wide, which fits with them being launched from the Falaq-2, the heavier high explosive model has a longer tail section, while the "other" warhead type has a shorter tail, about 2 meters to 1.5 meters. This suggests a larger rocket motor is being used for the high explosive model.

Sarin is less dense than HE?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

"Saving face" has to be about the dumbest reason to enter a war ever. At least Bush had a clear goal of deposing Saddam, even if he had no plan for what came after. We don't even have a goal, apart from "blow some of Assad's poo poo up and then pick up a pizza on the way home".
The goal is "getting rid a puppet owned by Russia and Iran and let the Saudis, Turkey and Israel deal with the rest while China waits to know who they are going to make business with like nothing actually happened once the dust has settled".

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Sergg posted:

Sarin is less dense than HE?

Not to mention the warhead would likely be smaller as with HE they try to pack as much of that stuff in as they can, as gas warheads would only be limited in area rather than potency if smaller whereas HE would not have as much effect in a smaller round.

LunarShadow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 29, 2013

Gnoll Pie
Jun 17, 2005

Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!
Chemical Weapons experts say there are "no hard facts". It's baffling how certain some people are that the bombs need to start falling right now:

quote:

Alastair Hay, a chemical weapons expert who helped with the investigation at Halabja, said the report added little new information.

"There are no hard facts. It is more a case of 'believe us and our experts'," he told the Guardian.

The JIC report said video footage from the Damascus attacks was "consistent with use of a nerve agent, such as sarin". Hay agrees with the conclusion, but said there was too little evidence in the JIC report for MPs to have an informed vote.

Weeks ago Hay asked government to release its evidence for chemical weapons attacks in Syria but was told there were no plans to do so.

Hay said he was "relieved" that the UN inspectors will be allowed to complete their report ahead of any UK military action. "Their report will be difficult to ignore by any party. And that is when, and only when, measures should be discussed both to deter the perpetrators and ultimately arrest and try them."

Dan Kaszeta, a former White House adviser on chemical weapons, said he was "uncomfortable" with the British government's confidence that the chemical agent, sarin, had been used.

"The JIC statement shows a level of certainty in the absence of physical evidence. But I can't buy into this consensus. Looking at the same video as everyone else, applying my 22 years of experience in chemical defence, I just don't share their apparent certainty. We need some physical evidence."
^
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2013/aug/29/mps-debate-syria-live-blog#block-521f7b90e4b01790173db521

Also, it makes me very suspicious that Cameron is accusing people of giving "succour" to Assad, why you'd think he was trying to whip up war hysteria or something:

quote:

A furious row between Downing Street and the Labour leadership has erupted after No 10 accused Ed Miliband of giving "succour" to the Assad regime after he moved to block an early Commons vote on military action.

[...]

Miliband was already angry after a government source used expletives overnight to criticise Miliband. A government source told the Times on Wednesday night: "No 10 and the Foreign Office think Miliband is a loving oval office and a copper-bottomed poo poo."
^
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/29/syria-ed-miliband-succour-assad

Gnoll Pie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 29, 2013

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

quote:

"Their report will be difficult to ignore by any party. And that is when, and only when, measures should be discussed both to deter the perpetrators and ultimately arrest and try them."

Sorry to be glib, but the idea that a UN report will change anything is laughable. Especially given their narrow mandate.

Gnoll Pie
Jun 17, 2005

Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Sorry to be glib, but the idea that a UN report will change anything is laughable. Especially given their narrow mandate.

It's a question of evidence, not of glib photographs and war hysteria!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

R. Mute posted:

fyi, my position is that there should be an intervention, but that it should have a lot more thought and planning behind it than what's currently being proposed. As long as there isn't a believable plan on the table, I think supporting an intervention is just dangerous and stupid.

It's an impossible situation though.

We've seen what Western nation-building is capable of this last decade and it is poo poo. We're not better at it now than in 2003 or 2004. No significant steps were taken in that direction where if there would be another Rwanda NATO or "the west" or the US could go in and fix poo poo in any meaningful way. The reason is obvious and you've pointed it out yourself: there's no interest in intervention genuinely for humanitarian reasons, nor has there ever been. So that whole perspective of "ok we'll intervene for humanitarian reasons, how do we do that and what's the plan after the initial fighting dies down?", especially that second part, just isn't there. That analysis isn't being done, those questions aren't being asked, let alone answered, let alone any significant quantities of resources spent on innovating and learning from the past to develop capabilities in this regard.

So I think I'm with you. I'm leftist as gently caress and I'm for intervention in Syria on humanitarian grounds. I'm not a pacifist, armed forces and violence can be employed for good causes. In the liberal-dominated world we live in though, that's just simply not going to happen. And so, this whole intervention story mirrors the situation we've had in Syria the last few years. There are multiple options, all of them poo poo. Maybe some are slightly less poo poo, it's really hard to tell, but make no mistake, they're all still firmly in poo poo territory. Can we imagine non-poo poo options and paths? Yes, absolutely. They're achievable, within human means, not utopian, but tragically just not in the world we currently live in. Not with the power structures the way they are. In a better world, we'd invade Syria, restore peace, hold everyone accountable for their crimes and begin the arduous task of working together with the Syrians to fix their communities and their country. We wouldn't make things perfect, and it'd be a tough road with likely some ugly things going wrong along the way, but after a few decades we could look back and honestly say "we tried our very best to make things better". That's the intervention I support, but there's nobody out there offering that.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://freebeacon.com/a-tour-of-syrias-chemical-weapons/

Here's a website that purportedly claims to have a video of Syria's underground chemical weapons bunkers, and they're listing the area around Mezzeh Military Airport, which is right where that video that Brown Moses got was reportedly filmed.

And this website article was written in 2012, over a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Gnoll Pie posted:

It's a question of evidence, not of glib photographs and war hysteria!

That is the thing though. What evidence? The UN report is just about whether or not an attack took place. We know that already. Yes, the argument could be made that the report will contain information that can be used by independent sources to assign blame, but in that case, why wait? Why not just assemble that information now?

• Locked thread