Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Autechresaint posted:

Why would the explosions be tied to your character's facing direction? There are several times where he killed something, turned around and a couple of frames of the explosion follow him.

Because its lovely programming™. Did you see how bad it lagged on the snow level?

What really kills me with this one (other than, you know, he should loving call it something other than "Maverick Hunter X", which was the remake of Megaman X on PSP in case y'all don't know) is the art isn't even that bad on its own, but its loving inconsistent as hell.

The large enemy sprite is very low resolution, you can count the pixels. Meanwhile the main character sprite is extremely high resolution...

...please tell me he stole the sprite art :allears: You know what I'm pretty sure he did now.

Also lol, that background. I have that wallpaper :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DStecks posted:

current condition of some cards

Are they ten years old? If this works, are they going to Kickstart "Awesome Fort in Jason's Back Yard" (Risks/Challenges: Jason's mum may not let us)?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Why isolated it to the concept art...

I see Reptile from Mortal Kombat, the Joker, Assassin's Creed, the tank from Metal Slug, Bane, an offmodel Metal Gear Rex, and some ships from WH40K.

Haha, he even called the Joker, Jorker. That's sure to fool them!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Fatkraken posted:

It's really very confusing. The miniatures at "purchase price" add up to well over $650, but you can get ALL of them for a tenth of that price? AND they're painted? It makes absolutely no sense.

Of course it won't reach it's goal because the miniatures look absolutely hideous. I have never sculpted at 28mm scale in my life and I'm absolutely certain I could do better than those on my first try. They look like a 13 year old made them.

Looking at this Kickstarter, I really feel like the person behind it is probably a bit :spergin: and loves making miniatures but doesn't have the creativity to design his own models so he just copies characters from games and movies that he sees.

So he's probably got a house or a room full of these models that he's made, he probably spends a ton of time making them and talking about them and one day someone says to him, 'hey bro, you spend your whole life making these miniatures, why don't you try and find some way to monetise them?'

But because he's a bit :spergin: he doesn't quite know how to do that. So he looks around and sees all these boardgame kickstarters that come with a ton of miniatures and thinks 'that's what I should do' so he clumsily mashes together some boardgame ideas to use as an excuse to showcase his miniatures (which is the product he really wants to create / sell) and has now ended up with a project that [a] will never get off the ground because of the million IP violations and [b] is generally awkard and amateurish as hell.

Hopefully he learns from this experience and goes on to become a better sculptor who makes his own original minis instead of just mindlessly copying whatever anime he's watching this week.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

MVP posted:

Someone is capitalizing on Breaking Bad, what else is new:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/escape-from-new-ork-city

How is "intellectual property issues" not against the rules?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Sigma-X posted:

The funny thing is there's a sweet hotdog chain out here in California that actually does the boutique hotdog thing pretty well:
http://www.jerrysdogs.com/

And back where I grew up, there were tons of hotdog/hamburger places as well. It's hardly a unique restaurant idea but he can't be loving bothered to use real cheese on his hotdogs. It's just sad.

At that place you linked, they at least cooked the dogs. I'm all for meager food done right.

On further inspection, it's the nice red plate that makes me laugh. He's trying so hard. You can tell. All the ingredients are there, sure, but it's collectively terrible like the chef is an alien who doesn't understand even the basic concept of food. An unmelted square of Kroger american-style imitation cheeze food lays limp on an untoasted, ripped apart cheap-o white bun. The Dollar Tree yellow-as-all-hell mustard sits opposite and in contrast to two spoonfuls of lukewarm poo poo-brown Dollar General "Meatie's Chili." The hotdogs have no grill marks, no signs of plumpness or of ever being heated whatsoever. The entire meal, chips, plate and all, are meant to be microwaved excessively and served to someone who is either crying or drunk.

Then there's this nice, red, square plate with a tasteful black rim. That kickstarter guy wants this so badly and I just... alright I confess. I kinda want this guy to succeed. It's like he has a dream to be a business owner and to make and serve stereotypical American food despite never having made anything more complex than Kraft Mac and Cheese. He quit his job in a huff one day at the duck whistle factory with a triumphant "gently caress you, Clyde!" Then he went home and announced to his wife that he's finally made the leap of faith that they supposedly always talked about. He's going start his own business, god drat it! "It's the American way, sweetiebeefs. You always said you love my dogs!" Then he posted the announcement proudly to his 29 friends on Facebook, "I'm starting a hot dog business from my van! Hey, does anyone have a hibachi I can borrow?"

He wants this so badly that he tried to follow some foodnetwork.com recipe for the perfect American chili dog. Weeping after his first attempt at selling this poo poo to strangers, he yells, "All the ingredients in the perfect chili dog are right here! I just don't understand why nobody likes it. Unamerican is what all these goddamn people are. Unamerican!"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

deathsuxdontdie posted:

How is "intellectual property issues" not against the rules?

Because they totally talked* to the people behind those properties!

*permission not guaranteed.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Sigma-X posted:

The funny thing is there's a sweet hotdog chain out here in California that actually does the boutique hotdog thing pretty well:
http://www.jerrysdogs.com/

And back where I grew up, there were tons of hotdog/hamburger places as well. It's hardly a unique restaurant idea but he can't be loving bothered to use real cheese on his hotdogs. It's just sad.

I'd Kickstarter Super Duper Weenie, in Connecticut. That place was amazing.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Lodin posted:

This is a pretty cool idea that will probably end as a huge failure. Cross Plane is a WiiU-pad'ish handheld that can stream pretty much anything under the sky. Sorta like how the the Nvidia Shield handles PC games.
All they need is 350.000 dollars from backers and it'll be a reality. Also, if you want to stream various consoles you'll have to buy separate "cartridges" that handle each format. The OUYA is obviously one of them and heavily featured in the video pitch.

They literally copied the Wii-U Pad, including using the D-Pad that Nintendo explicitly owns the patent for. Like a carbon copy, arrow symbols, indented center, and all.

Miijhal has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Sep 4, 2013

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

DoctorPresident posted:

Doobie's Dog House

Here, have a tasty hotdog with a slice of american cheese. :barf:

quote:

2nd. challenge being satisfying the health inspector... if he finds a problem I will correct it, but I really don't foresee a problem, because my county's inspector is working with me closely, to be sure I complete all of his requirements... he knows that i'm struggling and really wants me to succeed, I believe that truly ..the last challenge is wastewater hook up.. I have'nt found the existing sewer main on the property yet, but I know its there,

There's definitely more he's not telling us here.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Miijhal posted:

They literally copied the Wii-U Pad, including using the D-Pad that Nintendo explicitly owns the patent for. Like a carbon copy, arrow symbols, indented center, and all.

I thought Nintendo's patent on that expired years ago and the only reason that no one has used their (vastly superior) design is because they want to be different (worse).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noni posted:

That kickstarter guy wants this so badly and I just... alright I confess. I kinda want this guy to succeed. It's like he has a dream to be a business owner and to make and serve stereotypical American food despite never having made anything more complex than Kraft Mac and Cheese. He quit his job in a huff one day at the duck whistle factory with a triumphant "gently caress you, Clyde!" Then he went home and announced to his wife that he's finally made the leap of faith that they supposedly always talked about. He's going start his own business, god drat it! "It's the American way, sweetiebeefs. You always said you love my dogs!" Then he posted the announcement proudly to his 29 friends on Facebook, "I'm starting a hot dog business from my van! Hey, does anyone have a hibachi I can borrow?"

Here's his first update:

quote:

Id just like to thank my wife and biggest supporter for the first backer funds...thank you hunny!....

He's only got $15 in funds from two backers so I'm guessing his wife only managed to scrape together $10 to put towards his life's dream. This whole project is just loving tragic.

Edit: oh jesus, I just clicked on his project creator bio and apparently he's been struggling to realise this dream for 15 years.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Sep 4, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Lodin posted:

This is a pretty cool idea that will probably end as a huge failure. Cross Plane is a WiiU-pad'ish handheld that can stream pretty much anything under the sky. Sorta like how the the Nvidia Shield handles PC games.
All they need is 350.000 dollars from backers and it'll be a reality. Also, if you want to stream various consoles you'll have to buy separate "cartridges" that handle each format. The OUYA is obviously one of them and heavily featured in the video pitch.

The cheapest you can get one from them is $350. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to spend almost as much as I would buying a brand new next-gen system on a new controller.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I don't really know what to make of this one. I was just browsing around local projects. Apparently St. Paul the Apostle was reincarnated as a 21 year old guy in Newfoundland, Canada. Who knew?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806558764/st-paul-reincarnated-twice?ref=home_location

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Machai posted:

i think the only argument you need is a picture of the guy.

How can you trust someone with a beard like that? He creeps me right the gently caress out.

The beard creeps you out? Not the psychotic cannibal smile or he fashion war crime he's committing?

Miijhal posted:

The patent expired and even then, the patent was actually more specific and dealt with how the pad connected with the controller and picked up feedback. The Dreamcast had a D-Pad on their controller and got around Nintendo's patent by changing how its connectors inside the controller worked IIRC.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't know if it's the pale skin and huge forehead, but he looks like the world's oldest baby exploding out of a ginger sasquatch.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Iron Prince posted:

I don't really know what to make of this one. I was just browsing around local projects. Apparently St. Paul the Apostle was reincarnated as a 21 year old guy in Newfoundland, Canada. Who knew?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806558764/st-paul-reincarnated-twice?ref=home_location

The intro video is the creepiest thing I've ever heard.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zaphod42 posted:

Because its lovely programming™. Did you see how bad it lagged on the snow level?

What really kills me with this one (other than, you know, he should loving call it something other than "Maverick Hunter X", which was the remake of Megaman X on PSP in case y'all don't know) is the art isn't even that bad on its own, but its loving inconsistent as hell.

The large enemy sprite is very low resolution, you can count the pixels. Meanwhile the main character sprite is extremely high resolution...

...please tell me he stole the sprite art :allears: You know what I'm pretty sure he did now.

Also lol, that background. I have that wallpaper :haw:

The main character sprite is definitely a sprite edit. Probably Megaman X but I'm not an expert so don't quote me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Buttass posted:

The main character sprite is definitely a sprite edit. Probably Megaman X but I'm not an expert so don't quote me.

Yeah, it's a poor edit of the iOS X sprite.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DStecks posted:

I don't know if it's the pale skin and huge forehead, but he looks like the world's oldest baby exploding out of a ginger sasquatch.

If we merged that photo of Harry with your avatar of Weird Al we'd get a human being with an average sized hat and a beard that covered a normal amount of chin.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

The beard creeps you out? Not the psychotic cannibal smile or he fashion war crime he's committing?

The face can just be unlucky timing of the picture and the clothes could be due to similar "caught unawares" reasons and he wasn't expecting to have his picture taken. The beard though, that is a very deliberate and more immediately permanent thing as you don't change your beard every day and can certainly be expected to be seen in public with it.

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer
My first comic series, Blooddrops & Lolipops looks hilariously bad. On the one hand you have stuff like this:

quote:

The entire process of creating the comic was an *enormous* challenge. Just under two years ago, I literally woke up one day and decided that I wanted to make a comic book. The primary problem was that I didn't yet know how to draw people, only animals, buildings, robots, and everything else, just not people.

But then again this person obviously has some problems:

quote:

So I spent about six months homeless, and was forced to work on the comic in public places, mainly the Library. Eventually I found a place (for a few months) but was still struggling to find work and refine my skills, while at the same time building notes and sketches for other comics and figuring out a timeline for the release of Blooddrops & Lolipops and how I was gonna start my publishing company, which had been in the planning stages since 2009.

Here's some of the art they spent so long practicing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Count Chocula posted:

I'd Kickstarter Super Duper Weenie, in Connecticut. That place was amazing.

Clearly you've never been to Blackie's or Frankie's- both in Waterbury.

Blackie's does simple locally-produced dogs with some amazing signature relish and Frankie's does crazy elaborate dogs and both are delicious for completely different reasons.

They're sort of considered the Pepe's and Sally's of hot dogs- which is to say that people from Connecticut will loudly and repeatedly proclaim them to be the best in the country and people from outside of Connecticut will roll their eyes because Connecticut.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Sep 5, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh that's just what this thread needed, a wiener slap fight. :rolleyes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh that's just what this thread needed, a wiener slap fight. :rolleyes:

I'll slap you with my wiener.

Content:

Finally- the logical conclusion, the Kickstarter singularity: Microwallet+iPhone accessory(!)
(Apologies if this has been posted before, but I didn't see it)

But honestly, "Heh, Microwallet/iPhone poo poo":jerkbag: aside, I actually kinda dig this. Making the card pocket out of elastic was a smart way to trim size while keeping storage flexibility and I think the phone sleeve's pretty useful for keeping your "in your pocket, out the door" poo poo together when it's not in your pockets.

I'm kinda willing to give this one a pass just because it seems so well done, even if the concept's been done to death.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

That guy in the background of panel 1 has seen some serious poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
WayForward games just launched a Kickstarter for the third game in their Shantae series. I don't know why such a hugely prolific and successful studio would have to turn to crowdfunding for an established franchise...oh wait, free money. Right.

It's also kind of funny how they whitewashed Shantae compared to the older games.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

WayForward games just launched a Kickstarter for the third game in their Shantae series. I don't know why such a hugely prolific and successful studio would have to turn to crowdfunding for an established franchise...oh wait, free money. Right.

It's also kind of funny how they whitewashed Shantae compared to the older games.

They explained the skin color thing already.

I don't know why this is posted here since Games have been pretty positive about it.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

quote:

So I spent about six months homeless, and was forced to work on the comic in public places,

I read that as:

quote:

So I spent about six months homeless, and was forced to work in comic book places,

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Noni posted:

At that place you linked, they at least cooked the dogs. I'm all for meager food done right.

On further inspection, it's the nice red plate that makes me laugh. He's trying so hard. You can tell. All the ingredients are there, sure, but it's collectively terrible like the chef is an alien who doesn't understand even the basic concept of food. An unmelted square of Kroger american-style imitation cheeze food lays limp on an untoasted, ripped apart cheap-o white bun. The Dollar Tree yellow-as-all-hell mustard sits opposite and in contrast to two spoonfuls of lukewarm poo poo-brown Dollar General "Meatie's Chili." The hotdogs have no grill marks, no signs of plumpness or of ever being heated whatsoever. The entire meal, chips, plate and all, are meant to be microwaved excessively and served to someone who is either crying or drunk.

Then there's this nice, red, square plate with a tasteful black rim. That kickstarter guy wants this so badly and I just... alright I confess. I kinda want this guy to succeed. It's like he has a dream to be a business owner and to make and serve stereotypical American food despite never having made anything more complex than Kraft Mac and Cheese. He quit his job in a huff one day at the duck whistle factory with a triumphant "gently caress you, Clyde!" Then he went home and announced to his wife that he's finally made the leap of faith that they supposedly always talked about. He's going start his own business, god drat it! "It's the American way, sweetiebeefs. You always said you love my dogs!" Then he posted the announcement proudly to his 29 friends on Facebook, "I'm starting a hot dog business from my van! Hey, does anyone have a hibachi I can borrow?"

He wants this so badly that he tried to follow some foodnetwork.com recipe for the perfect American chili dog. Weeping after his first attempt at selling this poo poo to strangers, he yells, "All the ingredients in the perfect chili dog are right here! I just don't understand why nobody likes it. Unamerican is what all these goddamn people are. Unamerican!"

So it's basically death of a salesman, except uncle Ben is Guy fiery?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Give me $100,000 to record an album full of my insane ramblings. With the proceeds from his album sales, he's going to publish an e-book on the same matter. What will he educate you about? Everything. Drugs, gang crimes, losing loved ones to atheism, and judging by the video, also on sub-dermal RFID tags, freemasonry, and conspiracy theories. Taken from his KickStarter page:

The New York Bomber, the shooting in the Colorado theater, and Newtown; all happened within weeks of each other? Coincidence? There are no coincidences!

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Hannity and Manatee rhyme perfectly. I don't know how anything can be more obvious!!!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Clearly you've never been to Blackie's or Frankie's- both in Waterbury.

Blackie's does simple locally-produced dogs with some amazing signature relish and Frankie's does crazy elaborate dogs and both are delicious for completely different reasons.

They're sort of considered the Pepe's and Sally's of hot dogs- which is to say that people from Connecticut will loudly and repeatedly proclaim them to be the best in the country and people from outside of Connecticut will roll their eyes because Connecticut.

Yeah, there's a place in my neighborhood, called Dogtown, that does really good hotdogs. They use the local brand for their franks, and french bread rolls. You order them based on the toppings they come with, and they have awesome stuff like:
*Jamaican Jerk Relish & Veggies
*Chicago Style Relish, Onions, Mustard
*various other combinations of meat/chili, vegetables, cheese, and various interesting relishes.

The place is awesome, and for the price of a regular fast food combo meal, you get probably the best available hotdog, a drink, and some fries. They've got a bunch of local food awards, and the walls inside are just plastered with photographs of dogs. I think if you give them a picture of your dog, they will add it to the wall or something.
http://www.dogtownhots.com/

This guy's idea is capable of being good, but dang if he isn't running into the ground.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm just going to leave this here: The most silent place on Earth. Not only is it a recording of nothing, she's going to use it as a performance.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maera Sior posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: The most silent place on Earth. Not only is it a recording of nothing, she's going to use it as a performance.

She's not even recording it herself, she's going to get some other guy to do it and then post it to her.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Umm, isn't there already such a composition? A rather famous one, at that. I forget what it's called, though, but it's five minutes of full orchestral nothing. Several recordings have been made.

Way to innovate?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Bad Munki posted:

Umm, isn't there already such a composition? A rather famous one, at that. I forget what it's called, though, but it's five minutes of full orchestral nothing. Several recordings have been made.

Way to innovate?

You're thinking of 4'33. Wikipedia has a list of silence if you're not a huge fan of Cage, though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bad Munki posted:

Way to innovate?

You're probably thinking of 4'33". It's four minutes, 33 seconds of silence. That said, there are a lot more than just that one.

Edit: Curse me being slow at looking up that URL.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, there you go. Real ground breaking stuff here. Anyhow, I don't know why she thinks that crater would be the most silent place. There are going to be animals, wind, all kinds of poo poo. Hasn't she ever heard of a deep underground cave?

You know what I'm going to do? A kickstarter to fund a recording of me silently listening to that kickstarter's recording of silence.

Bad Munki has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Seems like a pretty modest goal to make a unique field recording. There are plenty of weirdos who are into this poo poo (I among them). Don't know why you'd limit it to one minute though.