Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011

BKPR posted:

Seems like a pretty modest goal to make a unique field recording. There are plenty of weirdos who are into this poo poo (I among them). Don't know why you'd limit it to one minute though.

Please explain why exactly you're into this.

I'm not being sarcastic; I literally can't imagine why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dex posted:

You're thinking of 4'33. Wikipedia has a list of silence if you're not a huge fan of Cage, though.

I knew of 4'33" and the piece by Yves Klein (he was the father of all trolls), but I had no idea there were so many.

AngusPodgorny posted:

It might be interesting if she was going to use super-sensitive equipment that could record the slightest noise (like, say, the equipment the accoustic ecologist would be using for his own purposes), but no, she's just going to mail him a dictaphone.
I think this is one of the worst aspects. Doesn't she understand how regular microphones work?

Maera Sior has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Sep 5, 2013

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It might be interesting if she was going to use super-sensitive equipment that could record the slightest noise (like, say, the equipment the accoustic ecologist would be using for his own purposes), but no, she's just going to mail him a dictaphone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It would also be (marginally) more interesting if she emailed him a sat-phone and you could listen to your one minute of silence live.

Still think the crater is kind of lame as "quietest place on earth."

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I'm just surprised this isn't a thinly veiled attempt at a free trip to Hawaii.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

WayForward games just launched a Kickstarter for the third game in their Shantae series. I don't know why such a hugely prolific and successful studio would have to turn to crowdfunding for an established franchise...oh wait, free money. Right.

It's also kind of funny how they whitewashed Shantae compared to the older games.

The vast majority of WF's work is by commission, which is a flat payment from the publisher. They basically live project to project.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ribbon sunglasses, because keeping a cleaning cloth on hand is so hard.

The PlexiTie! It's not a tie, it's a conversation starter. :smug:

The Tiny Inconspicuous Handcuff Key, for when you're unlawfully restrained. Proudly made in the USA! :patriot:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Maera Sior posted:

The PlexiTie! It's not a tie, it's a conversation starter. :smug:

The perfect tie for those who are bored of their 8-bit tie!:v:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

The Tiny Inconspicuous Handcuff Key, for when you're unlawfully restrained. Proudly made in the USA! :patriot:

It's like a campaign to get yourself tazed! If your lucky!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Maera Sior posted:

Risks and Challenges posted:

As with bringing any product to market, there may be unforeseen challenges that occur while bringing the TIHK towards the proverbial product development finish line.

What, like the feds throwing a shitfit? Try buying an unlicensed tazer through such a ridiculously easy to trace system, and see how that works out for you first.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

This is great.

quote:

The TIHK is meant to be part of your Everyday Carry so it is there when you need it.

Yes, it will go great with your handgun, flashlight, and multiple foldout knives.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ketzal posted:

My first comic series, Blooddrops & Lolipops looks hilariously bad. On the one hand you have stuff like this:

But then again this person obviously has some problems:

Here's some of the art they spent so long practicing.

:lol: Look at those tiny earthworm arms in panel two. Her torso is at least twice as wide as her arms.

I thought Dick Locher had retired from cartooning.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Maera Sior posted:

They should have included a small blade to cut through zip ties.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Maera Sior posted:

This guy can get back to me then he can make my thumb detach to reveal a mono-molecular garrote. :psylon:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

current condition of some cards

What kind of adult thinks this is an appropriate example of what to show when looking for funding? It's loving embarrassing; dont draw your poo poo in crayon then add text and card layouts like that poo poo is important when you're still writing stuff in pencil.

I love how it's organized like a TCG card: Title, Cost, Art, Tags, Description. Hey losers, you don't need to worry about that stage of your game yet. Literallyposting a card drawn in crayon is significantly worse for your funding than posting no card at all.

It's so weird, but just looking at that photo, I'm embarrassed for myself somehow. I've always wanted to make a game or some art for a game but that poo poo's just retarded.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Maera Sior posted:

I love imagining some guy sitting in his bed in the middle of the night, wide-awake, his safe full of guns and drawer full of tactical accouterments not buying him an ounce of peace. His mind races, playing over every possible situation in which he could be vulnerable, poring over what new product will help him overcome it, sure that this time the weapon or gadget he buys will finally bring him safety and peace of mind.

"But what if the police the UN a totally random and unlawful criminal were to get past my defenses and handcuff me? poo poo, I'll need to make a wearable handcuff key. And what if I'm at the beach and I get attacked and I don't have my gun with me? Now I need a tactical baseball cap so I can bludgeon any would-be attackers. Oh god, was that rustling outside the wind or someone hiding in the bushes? I better get a bed-mounted shotgun rack in case they attack me before I can get my handgun out of the bedside table. poo poo, better get two, never know what direction I'll need to grab one from..."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"But what if the police the UN a totally random and unlawful criminal were to get past my defenses and handcuff me? poo poo, I'll need to make a wearable handcuff key. And what if I'm at the beach and I get attacked and I don't have my gun with me? Now I need a tactical baseball cap so I can bludgeon any would-be attackers. Oh god, was that rustling outside the wind or someone hiding in the bushes? I better get a bed-mounted shotgun rack in case they attack me before I can get my handgun out of the bedside table. poo poo, better get two, never know what direction I'll need to grab one from..."

I think at that point you'd be Inspector Gadget, except every gadget is death.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Maera Sior posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: The most silent place on Earth. Not only is it a recording of nothing, she's going to use it as a performance.

If one minute of recorded silence is art, then an hour of recorded silence must be 60 times more artful.

No matter how much fun or factually correct they're going to try to make this game, Obamacare: The Board Game is destined to break apart more families game nights than any special version of Monopoly could hope for. From the risks and challenges section:

Rest assured, this game and the related merchandise will be shipped directly to all of our backers before the Christmas Season.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I'd like to admit that I'm Allen from the "Wormhole Warfare: Escape from New Ork City" kickstarter.

We're currently in the process of modifying the game based on your tremendous feedback. Please keep in mind we plan on improving our miniatures and showcasing new pictures in one week.

One poster asked about the expensive pricing on single models, it's because we currently have access to only flat rate shipping prices.

Thank you for your time and support.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This dork has the cash to pay for at least the cheapest kind of sailplane, which is around $5,000. Since he's got at least $5,000 to spend on a sailplane, I'm going to assume he's not too worried about money. He wants me to pay him $500 for something I can do with a pair of earmuffs for whatever the hell the cost of earmuffs are?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Has anyone told that 'recording of silence' girl that the quietest place on earth is actually an anechoic chamber, not some valley in Hawaii? I mean, field recordings can be interesting given some sort of context but this project just seems like a waste of time and resources.

Dex posted:

You're thinking of 4'33. Wikipedia has a list of silence if you're not a huge fan of Cage, though.

As a composition, 4'33 isn't meant to be simply 'silence', it's meant to incorporate the sounds produced by an auditorium full of people who are intently listening to the silence. The sounds of breathing, coughing, rustling, etc all come together to form the composition and, having attended a performance of this piece, it's actually a really interesting experience as it's quite uncommon to ever sit in a room and really focus / concentrate on silence for an extended period of time without distractions.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

By the power of Capitalism, I shall now undercut his price to: Free

Not one hour, but this is just a sample, after all.

Disclaimer: "Silence" is copyright 2013 by ComposerGuy. Use without permission is strictly prohibited. This is a TOTALLY ORIGINAL COMPOSITION. I totally made this up all by myself guys.

Donations are welcome. Please make checks payable to:

ComposerGuy
Something Awful Forums, USA

I prefer numbers divisible by "10,000", thank you.

ComposerGuy has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Sep 6, 2013

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ComposerGuy posted:

By the power of Capitalism, I shall now undercut his price to: Free

Not one hour, but this is just a sample, after all.

Donations are welcome. Please make checks payable to:

Composerguy
Something Awful Forums, USA

I prefer numbers divisible by "10,000", thank you.

If it's free then I'm pretty sure this is communism, you dirty red. I will pay extra for my patriotic hour of silence like a true American.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Madcosby posted:

What kind of adult thinks this is an appropriate example of what to show when looking for funding? It's loving embarrassing; dont draw your poo poo in crayon then add text and card layouts like that poo poo is important when you're still writing stuff in pencil.

I love how it's organized like a TCG card: Title, Cost, Art, Tags, Description. Hey losers, you don't need to worry about that stage of your game yet. Literallyposting a card drawn in crayon is significantly worse for your funding than posting no card at all.

It's so weird, but just looking at that photo, I'm embarrassed for myself somehow. I've always wanted to make a game or some art for a game but that poo poo's just retarded.

To be honest, a lot of games use paper prototyping to show how the gameplay elements would work. I remember seeing a MtG prototype where it's a index card with nothing but it's name, color, cost and it's effect all written out. I'd take a card drawn in crayon more than no card at all, but I wouldn't put money down on it unless I saw finished artwork. That's the problem I have with a lot of these tabletop games, none of them are close to finish. I'm hurting for cash right now and have been working on a TRPG for awhile now, but I'm not going to put up a crowdfunding campaign until I've got something I could use as something like quick start rules.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Rosalind posted:

If it's free then I'm pretty sure this is communism, you dirty red. I will pay extra for my patriotic hour of silence like a true American.

No, see, its like Televangelism. Come to Jesus and donate money. The American Way.

Plus, that other guy offering one hour is loving BRITISH! Not American! BUY AMERICAN! MADE IN THE U.S.A.!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

DStecks posted:

every gadget is death.

Except the handcuff key.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Machai posted:

Except the handcuff key.

I wonder what kind of charges you'd get slapped with when the police find it, and they will find it. They're trained to spot poo poo like that so they don't get their fingers sliced by a hook or razors during a patdown.

e:Maybe not formal training, but they're definitely on constant lookout for this stuff.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The police finding the handcuff key seems like the best-case scenario. If you manage to use the key, you're looking at evading arrest charges, and possibly getting your skull caved in with a baton since they don't exactly laugh off escape attempts.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I'm going to kickstart a fake police badge manufacturing business. That way, if the cops don't believe your fake badge, you can just use the tiny handcuff key. I'm sure they'll understand.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

cyberia posted:

As a composition, 4'33 isn't meant to be simply 'silence', it's meant to incorporate the sounds produced by an auditorium full of people who are intently listening to the silence.

Yeah, I know. If you thought it was great in an auditorium, you're going to love that KS, since she plans to play it at a festival.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Dex posted:

Yeah, I know. If you thought it was great in an auditorium, you're going to love that KS, since she plans to play it at a festival.

The perfect setting for people who are enjoying the music they're listening to but really want to spend a minute or so listening to the muffled roar of the music coming from the next stage over.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

MVP posted:

I'd like to admit that I'm Allen from the "Wormhole Warfare: Escape from New Ork City" kickstarter.

We're currently in the process of modifying the game based on your tremendous feedback. Please keep in mind we plan on improving our miniatures and showcasing new pictures in one week.

"Based on our feedback"? How about "based on our desire to not get sued into oblivion for copyright infringement"?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
I have a couple of reference recordings of silence. They're useful when comparing interconnects and power conditioners in my system. They sound pretty much the same, but one has a slightly warmer presence.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Local Resident posted:

They sound pretty much the same, but one has a slightly warmer presence.

How many thousand-dollar cables do you own?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Local Resident posted:

I have a couple of reference recordings of silence. They're useful when comparing interconnects and power conditioners in my system. They sound pretty much the same, but one has a slightly warmer presence.

It's all the other ones that have a colder presence because they contain ghosts.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Young Freud posted:

To be honest, a lot of games use paper prototyping to show how the gameplay elements would work. I remember seeing a MtG prototype where it's a index card with nothing but it's name, color, cost and it's effect all written out. I'd take a card drawn in crayon more than no card at all, but I wouldn't put money down on it unless I saw finished artwork. That's the problem I have with a lot of these tabletop games, none of them are close to finish. I'm hurting for cash right now and have been working on a TRPG for awhile now, but I'm not going to put up a crowdfunding campaign until I've got something I could use as something like quick start rules.

Except the prototype Magic cards made in the 90s were still more professional-looking than something drawn in crayon with hand-written rules text:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Maera Sior posted:

Ribbon sunglasses, because keeping a cleaning cloth on hand is so hard.
Should have made it out of TP, be more useful that way

Maera Sior posted:

For when there is no safe word

DStecks posted:

I think at that point you'd be Inspector Gadget, except every gadget is death.

I would watch the gently caress out of this show

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MVP posted:

One poster asked about the expensive pricing on single models, it's because we currently have access to only flat rate shipping prices.

If this is true, I think your best move would be to take down your kickstarter entirely and make a completely new one once your models are ready.

Unless you are producing in huge bulk, with injection molded plastic miniatures and some poor sods in the far East doing all the painting for a dollar a day, you are going to lose a TREMENDOUS amount of money on each copy of the game you sell. $65 for 65 fully painted resin miniatures AND all the boards and cards and rules AND shipping, it's not even remotely sustainable. The price disparity between the single models and the boxed set also makes little sense, your excuse that it's about shipping costs doesn't cut it; if I buy three large models from the order form it's already more than the cost of the entire game INCLUDING shipping. If it is all about shipping, just charge a flat rate for shipping a miniature order of any size and charge an appropriately scaled amount for the actual models. you seem to ALREADY be charging $45 for shipping any number of models outside the US (on the $1 pledge level), so charging again within the cost of the models seems unfair.

I hate to tell you this, but the quality of your miniatures is very poor, I would call it low level hobbyist at best and not even close to professional. There is not a single model on that page that anyone should be charging money for. Anyone telling you that they are good quality miniatures is wrong, and suffering from a vicarious version of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Whether it is you or a friend (your brother?) doing the actual sculpting, it is not saleable quality. Your hex tiles aren't even the same shape as each other, which means the sculptor didn't even have the initiative to make a template from a frozen pizza box! I'm not calling the sculptor a bad person, I'm sure they'll get better with time and practice, but as it stands they're not there yet. If you're planning on making a game to sell to people, your miniature sculptor either needs a hell of a lot more experience, or needs to be replaced. You will not be able to find a professional replacement who will make 50 miniatures for you for the kind of money this kickstarter will raise.

Don't even get me started on the IP fuckery. Parody and fair Use only go so far, many of your models are just straight rips of existing designs with no apparent attempt at satire or parody; You MIGHT get away with a few of the orks since they involve at least some degree of design change and parody, but "Spy" being master chief, "Ninja" being taken straight from mortal kombat and so on are not appropriate in a commercially released game.

quote:

Chronobound Studios' tabletop experience includes playing, painting, and shipping early and current editions of Warhammer 40k and Fantasy, Dominion, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Battlefleet Gothic, Ticket To Ride, Space Hulk and Necromunda miniature game sets. From these past experiences, there is no aspect of creating a miniatures game that is unknown to us.

Is this a joke? Playing a game doesn't teach you how to manufacture a game. Painting miniatures doesn't teach you how to sculpt or mold miniatures. Shipping games doesn't teach you how to do ANYTHING bar writing addresses in a database and printing out shipping labels.

Going in half cocked to a kickstarter and pissing around with constant updates and assurances that "the final product will be better than what we've put on the page, pinky-swear!" is incredibly unprofessional and does not inspire confidence. As a business major you should be aware of that. The last goon who put up a half arsed unfinished kickstarter was persuaded to take it down and wait until they had something worth showing in public, and will have a better project for it.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Sep 6, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maera Sior posted:

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada handcuff keys are illegal.

Not just actualy handcuff keys, a "handcuff key" is defined as anything on your person at the time of an arrest that is clearly intended to be able to release any restraints put on you. So anything from an actual handcuff key down to a paperclip concealed on your back with the intent of being used to jimmy flexcuffs loose. But legit honest-to-goodness handcuff keys like the one this is selling will be a lot less disputable in court than pretty much anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

MVP posted:

You advertised your own lovely kickstarter in this thread and even admitted you're infringing copyrights? :psyduck: