Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

thylacine posted:

And remind her that it's not always up to you whether you crash or not. You can try to avoid risk, but that doesn't mean some shitlord won't crash into you out of nowhere.

This. Explain (in appropriate prose) that you're fully confident of your riding abilities but you can't account for every shitbird on the road texting and driving while yelling at their kids and eating a sandwich, and that you can be riding perfectly well and have one of those shitbirds careen in front of you, clip you from behind, etc. It's bad logic but it should be enough to get her to wear some stuff without freaking her out too bad about bike riding in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm pretty glad that ~my girlfriend~ goes out shopping for riding gear without telling me, then calls me while I'm at work asking me if x brand is any good for x price. She doesn't even have a bike yet!

Most conscientious woman I've ever met.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nidhg00670000 posted:

She either tells me "But you won't crash, will you?"
Is she saying that in jest or is she really that stupid? Something to think about when considering a long term relationship...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was waiting for that post. That post that escalates girlfriend bikechat into relationshipchat every. single. time.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

I'm pretty glad that ~my girlfriend~ goes out shopping for riding gear without telling me, then calls me while I'm at work asking me if x brand is any good for x price. She doesn't even have a bike yet!

How comfortable is 2up with your 'girlfriend' packing heat?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

clutchpuck posted:

This is what my wife used to say about them as well. She got some more stylish Dainese riding pants, but they came with like a tiny patch of kevlar on each knee, none in the butt, and they only fit right when she's standing. In a riding position, there's much buttcrack. Apparently mom jeans are cut better for their purpose.

That's what I told her. Physics tells us that low rise (or "mid rise" as some gear companies advertise) becomes butt crack in a riding posture. :science:

Slavvy posted:

Lucky man. ~My wife~ had me get all of her gear and then critiqued it. But it's a small price to have her on the back from time-to-time. The best thing about it is that she's gotten more comfortable, so I get more, "Hey do you want to take the bike?" without me even having to ask.

But she's a smart woman. If she wants to go somewhere that I don't, it's "Let's go on the bike".

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Anybody in the San Diego area know of a reputable dyno tuner? I suspect my bike is running pretty rich due to the weather change between NorCal and SoCal but Southern California isn't particularly known for its motorcycle scene as most people here are certifiably retarded when it comes to anything involving such.

I don't know anyone off the top of my head but I'll ask my friend if I see him this weekend. I'm almost certain he mentioned getting his race bike tuned on a dyno.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That was about 10 years ago. ANPR is now reliable enough to run road pricing schemes like the London congestion charge with a failure rate (excluding deliberate deception) of well under one plate in a million.

In the UK all traffic cars, and most patrol cars, have the ANPR on permanently looking not just for stolen cars but ones with expired tax or MOT (yearly inspection) or no insurance. It also flashes up the VOSA-registered make, model and colour so if they feel like it they can just park up and check each car that goes past.

Well, poo poo. Time to move to somewhere police are more bribeable and less well equipped.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is she saying that in jest or is she really that stupid? Something to think about when considering a long term relationship...

Mostly in jest, but since she has no driving experience whatsoever, neither from cars, mopeds, motorbikes or anything else, it's part inexperience, as in "You ride extra careful when I'm riding with you, don't you". She's a very sweet, terminally happy girl that never fails to get me in a good mood but oh so ditzy and not just a little naive. She is quite a bit younger than me so maybe it's to be expected.

M42 posted:

Don't let her on the bike until she wears proper protective equipment-that's what I do.

That would imply that I have the balls to actually ever tell her no. She is very cute when she pouts though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Mostly in jest, but since she has no driving experience whatsoever, neither from cars, mopeds, motorbikes or anything else, it's part inexperience, as in "You ride extra careful when I'm riding with you, don't you". She's a very sweet, terminally happy girl that never fails to get me in a good mood but oh so ditzy and not just a little naive. She is quite a bit younger than me so maybe it's to be expected.

Uuhh you can just tell her to wear appropriate attire? Your ride, your rules.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

but you guyyys what if she stops liking him because he wants all of her skin to stay where it is

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

but you guyyys what if she stops liking him because he wants all of her skin to stay where it is

She puts the lotion on her skin . . .

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That would imply that I have the balls to actually ever tell her no. She is very cute when she pouts though.

Let me point something out to you. Whatever her actions are, you are responsible. You are responsible because you created and even encouraged the situation where she is riding pillion on your bike. She did not have the opportunity to independently evaluate the risks through the process and effort of becoming a motorcyclist. That effort gives the rider agency in the situation and makes them weigh whether the whole thing is worthwhile.

She's there because you made it fun and easy. But if you crash, she's also there because of you and that makes you responsible. There are all kinds of road hazards, driver errors, and mechanical failures that can send you sliding down the tarmac. No matter how carefully you ride, something can happen.

Also, be aware that if you get into an accident that injures her, she can sue you if there is even a hint of rider error.

Make whatever choices you will, but just realize that you carry a lot of responsibility when you bring people into potentially dangerous situations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Contact cleaner, then penetrating oil, alternating until it moves, then once it's done whack some silicone or PTFE lube in.

Alternatively it may not just be the gas cap being corroded. Over time the key wears down, as does the ignition lock - generally the ignition lock is looser through that wear so the key keeps working, but the wear is enough to put the key out of true in a less-used lock. If you have a second key for the bike try that.

The key doesn't even fit in the hole right now. Should I still try this? The bike is literally useless right now and I would love to not have to trailer the thing across town when I help the guy move.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love it how CA can take the fun out of chicks dig bikes. He had a bike, he got laid, it's ATGATT time!

I'd be more concerned with wearing adequate safety gear in bed TBH, this chick sounds cray.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
My cruiser-riding 60-year-old friend just wears a helmet and sometimes doesn't even wear that. He rides so cautiously and safely it's insane. He's probably over 200,000 miles on two wheels by now. I try not to judge people when they don't go full ATGATT. It's loving hot here, too, so there's that as well. To each his own.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

XYLOPAGUS posted:

The key doesn't even fit in the hole right now. Should I still try this? The bike is literally useless right now and I would love to not have to trailer the thing across town when I help the guy move.

I had this problem. Just jam a flathead in the lock and break it, trying not to damage the tank. Replacing the cap is easier than loving with it.

In the future, use graphite lube in your locks.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I had this problem. Just jam a flathead in the lock and break it, trying not to damage the tank. Replacing the cap is easier than loving with it.

In the future, use graphite lube in your locks.

hahaha he was telling me just the other day that a locksmith he once knew told him to never use graphite lube. I told him the internet told me otherwise. :science:

He also mentioned replacing the lock cylinder in that gas cap a few thousand miles ago. Heh

EDIT: After using graphite lube on my SV, the key works every time now. Only one side of the key, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

hahaha he was telling me just the other day that a locksmith he once knew told him to never use graphite lube. I told him the internet told me otherwise. :science:

He also mentioned replacing the lock cylinder in that gas cap a few thousand miles ago. Heh

EDIT: After using graphite lube on my SV, the key works every time now. Only one side of the key, though.

I had this exact thing on my SV except it was the ignition barrel. loving suzuki.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

She either tells me "But you won't crash, will you?" or "But it's uncomfortable" when I bring it up. On one hand, she's an adult and frankly as long as she wears a helmet she can ride naked if she likes. On the other hand I can't even begin to imagine how much like poo poo I'd feel if I crashed and her legs (or whatever) looked like an overcooked sausage for the rest of her life (after several skin grafts, I guess).

I have no idea what I'm really asking here, but whatever. Maybe I'm overreacting. Or something. :ohdear:

I'm taking a pillion I've never met before riding all next weekend (scavenger hunt) and she's getting all of my primary gear that fits, and I'll take the somewhat crappier secondary/"guest" stuff, aside from helmet (buying a cheap full face at the store this weekend, I'm gonna keep the Evoline 2 with the sunvisor and stuff). Personally, I would much rather it be me than a passenger that took the brunt of injuries in a crash.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

I love it how CA can take the fun out of chicks dig bikes. He had a bike, he got laid, it's ATGATT time!

You got laid bro????? nice!!!!! :worship:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MotoMind posted:

Let me point something out to you. Whatever her actions are, you are responsible. You are responsible because you created and even encouraged the situation where she is riding pillion on your bike. She did not have the opportunity to independently evaluate the risks through the process and effort of becoming a motorcyclist. That effort gives the rider agency in the situation and makes them weigh whether the whole thing is worthwhile.

She's there because you made it fun and easy. But if you crash, she's also there because of you and that makes you responsible. There are all kinds of road hazards, driver errors, and mechanical failures that can send you sliding down the tarmac. No matter how carefully you ride, something can happen.

Also, be aware that if you get into an accident that injures her, she can sue you if there is even a hint of rider error.

Make whatever choices you will, but just realize that you carry a lot of responsibility when you bring people into potentially dangerous situations.

This is mostly what it is all about, isn't it? I can see that most people feel it to be my responsibility if an accident occurs, and if so I should've taken measures to prevent injury as far as possible by keeping her clothed and fed. I'll suggest we go try on some gear (again) next week and see what happens.

For some reason though, I feel motorcycling is regarded very differently than riding cars in the respect that, if someone gets in my car and doesn't use the seat belt, I would say it's their own responsibility as an adult to take steps to protect themselves against injury, whereas on a motorbike I'm not so sure (which is where my original post in this matter came from).

Although I have to point out that, in Swedish law, things work a little differently when it come to lawsuits. The Tort Liability Act Chapter 2 Section 1 reads:

“Anybody who intentionally or negligently causes a personal injury or a damage to things shall compensate it, as far as this Act does not prescribe otherwise.”

Worth pointing out is that the essence of the compensatory function of the Swedish tort law is ruled by the idea that even negligent parties should be protected against devastating economic consequences of an accident, and losses should be distributed, above all, by means of insurance. As soon as you accept a payment from insurance regarding an accident, you allow them to assume any rights to sue the involved parties (which in the rare cases they decide to do, ends with the other parties insurance paying the damages).

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm taking a pillion I've never met before riding all next weekend (scavenger hunt) and she's getting all of my primary gear that fits, and I'll take the somewhat crappier secondary/"guest" stuff, aside from helmet (buying a cheap full face at the store this weekend, I'm gonna keep the Evoline 2 with the sunvisor and stuff). Personally, I would much rather it be me than a passenger that took the brunt of injuries in a crash.

This would be a great solution if we were the same size, although I guess gear that fits badly is better than no gear at all. I do agree with your last sentence.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nidhg00670000 posted:

For some reason though, I feel motorcycling is regarded very differently than riding cars in the respect that, if someone gets in my car and doesn't use the seat belt, I would say it's their own responsibility as an adult to take steps to protect themselves against injury, whereas on a motorbike I'm not so sure (which is where my original post in this matter came from).
I think it should be regarded differently, though, because a vast majority of people out there have no clue about what safety gear is available and what it'll protect you from in an accident. If nobody knew about seatbelts, you'd be kind of irresponsible not to tell them, "hey, there's a seatbelt there, you should put it on," in your car.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I've been noticing that my clutch doesn't fully engage until I release the lever almost all the way. Is it a sign of a clutch going bad or could it be just the lever that's not properly adjusted? :ohdear: Are there some tests I could do to check the health of my clutch?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

internet inc posted:

I've been noticing that my clutch doesn't fully engage until I release the lever almost all the way. Is it a sign of a clutch going bad or could it be just the lever that's not properly adjusted? :ohdear: Are there some tests I could do to check the health of my clutch?

It varies from bike to bike, but it sounds like clutch situation: normal. There should be twiddly knobs near the lever that you can use to adjust the amount of slack in the cable. It's normal for the cable to stretch a bit over time, which will lead to your engagement point creeping toward, and eventually past, the clutch lever release point. Most riders on most bikes keep that engagement point very close to the end of the clutch lever's travel because that makes slipping the clutch and shifting in general easier.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been telling my GF to get gear the entire time we've been together, which she hasn't, resulting in her nearly never going on rides with me because I'm not being responsible if we get wiped out and her skin gets ground off. No loving way.
Every time we end up in a MC shop she looks at jackets and pants, which I offer to help her buy, she says "nah, we'll get something later" and that's it.

Pretty much the only time we ride together is taking the few side streets to go the 3 miles to down town so we don't have to worry about parking. Other than that, she gets to look at the pictures of all the pretty places I go on my bike.
She plays roller derby and has gotten some pretty lovely rash from falling on the track. You think she'd make the connection.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It sounds like she doesn't really want to ride on the back.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Bugdrvr posted:

I've been telling my GF to get gear the entire time we've been together, which she hasn't, resulting in her nearly never going on rides with me because I'm not being responsible if we get wiped out and her skin gets ground off. No loving way.
Every time we end up in a MC shop she looks at jackets and pants, which I offer to help her buy, she says "nah, we'll get something later" and that's it.

Pretty much the only time we ride together is taking the few side streets to go the 3 miles to down town so we don't have to worry about parking. Other than that, she gets to look at the pictures of all the pretty places I go on my bike.
She plays roller derby and has gotten some pretty lovely rash from falling on the track. You think she'd make the connection.

Roller derby girls :allears:

Q: How to make my woman wear gear.
A: Man up and demand it.
A2: Get it for her as a gift and act hurt and disappointed when she doesn't like it. Encourage exchange for sizing/styling/whatever but just get it as something you thought she'd look good in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is this a peeing in the well situation developing?

My girl has a good helmet, A* jacket, and good boots. After a few rides to find out if she wanted to keep riding with me, I told her she'll need to get proper pants. She enjoys it enough to do that, so it's all good. If, after a well though out explanation of why gear up and the dangers of not, your partner doesn't want to get proper gear, they probably aren't that committed to riding. You have more responsibility for a pillion than they do.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 6, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

It sounds like she doesn't really want to ride on the back.
I've carried passengers a couple times and ridden on the back a couple times and honestly I can't understand why anyone does that. No fun at all for either person.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I've been trying to find a clutch lever that fits my 2003 SV650s and both of the ones I've bought are too fat (original on left).

Anyone know of one I can get that will fit for sure? They just don't drat fit :smith:.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I've carried passengers a couple times and ridden on the back a couple times and honestly I can't understand why anyone does that. No fun at all for either person.

As much as it would thrill me for my wife to learn to pilot her own bike, I'll take the passenger over going in the car most of the time.

But, gently caress me, does the handling change dramatically. Always feels like the bike is a bit reluctant to haul the both of us around.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've never been super happy about having a pillion mostly for the responsibility aspect but also because it makes the bike sluggish. Having said that for utilitarian stuff like finding parking downtown or at the beach I will put up with it. Other than that I really never ride anyone around.
The one time I ignored my gear rule was when a friends ride flaked from a game in LA so she either was riding with me or on the bus. I didn't love it but was mostly comfortable. She claimed to get hypothermia and stood in front of the heater shivering for 2 hours when we got back. It was 60 degrees and sunny the whole way down the coast :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd take pillion over taking the car, but having your girlfriend ride her own bike is incredibly rewarding if you're following behind. For a while there it kind of ruined solo riding for me because it seemed so boring without someone else along.

Hate 'group' rides though, seems pointless. One other person at the most, maybe two.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Bugdrvr posted:

It was 60 degrees and sunny the whole way down the coast :iiam:
I dunno man, 60 is pretty cold on a bike. I wear all my liners below like 75.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Bugdrvr posted:

I didn't love it but was mostly comfortable. She claimed to get hypothermia and stood in front of the heater shivering for 2 hours when we got back. It was 60 degrees and sunny the whole way down the coast :iiam:

I read somewhere that girls have more surface area which is why they get colder, faster, than guys do. I've never verified it, but it makes sense to me. My wife sometimes bundles up like it's the new ice age for a ride in the 60s while I'm standing there going, "It's not so cold out"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I definitely prefer riding solo to carrying a pillion, but it's a whole different experience. For me, it's something we're doing together, a shared experience. On the technical side of things, it's like riding an entirely different bike with a different set of challenges. For a while early on, I got frustrated about being sluggish, heavy, and generally unflickable. Like a big scooter, i guess. When I started thinking about it being a different bike, it became more enjoyable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I dunno man, 60 is pretty cold on a bike. I wear all my liners below like 75.

60 is when I keep my jacket vents closed.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

60 is when I keep my jacket vents closed.
This. Liner goes in at <40F, hoodie goes underneath at <30F. :black101:

What I'm really curious about is how moving to a new bike (some day) will change the effects of wind. The Ninjette is tiny but it's still faired, I wonder how a full-size naked or supersport would compare in terms of cold vs. wind noise.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If it's staying under 60 my liners are going in. Under 50 and I'm breaking out the winter gear.