Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

SkySteak posted:

Would that key be region locked? It may sound silly to ask but considering recently, Rome 2 was region locked, I just want to be safe.

I wouldn't know, unfortunately. It does have the same line in the description that Rome 2 has: "Downloading: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address." But it also says gifting isn't available when all it does is give you a Steam key, so I don't know whether this is referring to the Amazon purchase phase or the Steam key phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poil posted:

Speaking of religions, would these things be imbalanced as a mod?
Pantheon:
-God of Wealth: +1 gold per internal trade route.
Follower:
-Letters of Indulgence: Temples provide +2 gold.
-Synagogue: +1 happiness, +1 culture, +1 faith and one spot for great writing work. (I just picked something at random)

God of Wealth would generally be 1-2 GPT. Not imbalanced, but you'd never take it over Fertility Rites, Messenger of the Gods, God of Craftsmen or any of the location-specific Founder beliefs.

Synagogues are just Cathedrals with a Writing slot instead of an Art slot, which is strictly worse because you get Writing slots from Amphitheatres but don't get Art slots until Museums.

Letters of Indulgence would be broken to gently caress. Theocracy would make each Temple equivalent to a Bank in the Classical Era.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Jedit posted:

Letters of Indulgence would be broken to gently caress. Theocracy would make each Temple equivalent to a Bank in the Classical Era.

Nah, since the +2 from letters of indulgence would just counteract the GPT cost of the temple.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

God of Wealth would generally be 1-2 GPT. Not imbalanced, but you'd never take it over Fertility Rites, Messenger of the Gods, God of Craftsmen or any of the location-specific Founder beliefs.

Synagogues are just Cathedrals with a Writing slot instead of an Art slot, which is strictly worse because you get Writing slots from Amphitheatres but don't get Art slots until Museums.

Then it sounds about right.

I couldn't think of anything better for the Synagogues. Maybe they could become +1 happines, 2 faith, 3 culture instead.

A 0.2 gold net gain is broken? 0.7 with a market if my math is correct.

Flame112 posted:

Nah, since the +2 from letters of indulgence would just counteract the GPT cost of the temple.
Yeah, but it's better than no maintenance temples since the +2 becomes +3.7(?) with a market, bank, stock exchange and theocracy. Unless it is added directly into the economy (like church property and tithe) rather than added to the building.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 8, 2013

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

SkySteak posted:

Would that key be region locked? It may sound silly to ask but considering recently, Rome 2 was region locked, I just want to be safe.

They're not region locked, I'm in the UK and got it off there just fine.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I just finished my first game where I can actually say that I knew what I was doing the whole time. Portugal is definitely my second favorite civ now, barely edged out by the Celts. I founded all four of my cities on the coast and thanks to harbors and cargo ships I pretty much ran the world economy. The Nau is a fantastic unit that secured me the founding of the World Congress, but I sort of wasted the Feitorias because I went diplomacy and was allied with all but two city-states anyway. The highlight was the entire world getting tired of Mongolia's poo poo and Byzantium, Denmark, Siam, Greece and myself declaring war on him on the same turn. With Byzantium's help I liberated three city-states from him and a fourth in the peace treaty. Byzantium remained at war with him for the rest of the game and his science and military never recovered. I see Mongola lauded as a domination civ pretty frequently but every time I've played against an AI Mongolia they're completely irrelevant by the Industrial Era.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's different with a human in charge. I had never played them before and keshiks are indeed ridiculous. With their range and movement I've taken multiple cities without a single point of damage inflicted on my army, except my melee unit (singular; only need the one to finish the conquest) getting hit once on the way to taking the defenseless place.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Grand Fromage posted:

It's different with a human in charge. I had never played them before and keshiks are indeed ridiculous. With their range and movement I've taken multiple cities without a single point of damage inflicted on my army, except my melee unit (singular; only need the one to finish the conquest) getting hit once on the way to taking the defenseless place.

Indeed, this is primarily the only way to play the Mongol scenario. You don't have time for poo poo like units dying or needing to heal.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Tempers flare up in this goon game after GenVec turns on me, following a profitable military campaign for the both us, by attacking one of my newly-acquired cities.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
War-like civs need a faith building. I propose the Skull Pile. Maybe +1 faith +1 culture, or + 1 happiness, or whatever. Any unit built in a city with a Skull Pile gains the Trophy Taker promotion, which gives you faith and culture for killing units as a 50/50 split. A warrior would be worth 4 faith/4 culture, round down. Blood for the Blood God!

E:Maybe an extra bonus for taking a city as well, and maybe an option to sacrifice captured civilians.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 9, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

War-like civs need a faith building. I propose the Skull Pile. Maybe +1 faith +1 culture, or + 1 happiness, or whatever. Any unit built in a city with a Skull Pile gains the Trophy Taker promotion, which gives you faith and culture for killing units as a 50/50 split. A warrior would be worth 4 faith/4 culture, round down. Blood for the Blood God!

E:Maybe an extra bonus for taking a city as well, and maybe an option to sacrifice captured civilians.

OOoh, I kind of like this idea. Faith for kills isn't really broken because you can't kill a steady stream of enemies but it'd keep things very interesting.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Sometimes when Pocatello's leader screen comes up I just hafta laugh out loud because of how fukken chill he is.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The music helps. I ADORE his music for peace and war alike.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

Hey Haile. How you doing there buddy?

(We're actually best buddies, he DoF'ed me as soon as we met and he's sending me all his trade routes)

The moment he founds his own religion he's going to rush all your cities with a great prophet like it's no big deal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The moment he founds his own religion he's going to rush all your cities with a great prophet like it's no big deal

He has a lovely ring of hills two tiles from his city. A perfect place for an unbroken line of catapults.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Speedball posted:

Faith for kills isn't really broken because you can't kill a steady stream of enemies but it'd keep things very interesting.
I was kind of surprised that the Aztec UA wasn't changed to that when Civ V introduced religion in Gods and Kings.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Crazy Ted posted:

I was kind of surprised that the Aztec UA wasn't changed to that when Civ V introduced religion in Gods and Kings.

I wonder how overpowered it would be to remove the Pictish Warriors' faith from kills and just make it part of the Celts' UA. It would keep their ability relevant after the first ten turns, at least.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010

JayMax posted:

Tempers flare up in this goon game after GenVec turns on me, following a profitable military campaign for the both us, by attacking one of my newly-acquired cities.

I'm glad that game is going to descend into a murderous slug fest.

Slightly less glad we opted for hybrid instead of simultaneous, but whatever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Murderous slugfests to either partition weaklings for their valuables, or to drag the current leader kicking and screaming to his rightful place among the pack should be expected of FFA games. It's a shame the former isn't as common as it used to be, Civ5 actively penalises going wide with that -5% science/city, so you'd better drat well make sure each city can pull its weight very quickly.

Question about hybrid turns, is it still possible for the person in the other wrong half of the turn timer to play around with their build queue and their worked tiles in their city screen?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I won my first cultural victory: got all ruins everywhere, built basically all the wonders ever, then discovered I had 23k faith unused, bought about 4-5 great musicians and won the game.

edit: yes, it WAS only prince but prince often kicks my rear end nonetheless.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's generally how every Prince game goes once you get the game's basics down. It's time to move up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Saving up about 5,000 faith until you've maxed out your tourism (Internet + National Visitor Centre) will yield you three Great Musicians worth 10,000 tourism each to drop on your toughest Tourism target. If you don't do this, you basically have to completely cripple your opponents in order to win a culture victory.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I'm playing as brazil and going to go for a cultural victory, and I'm wondering where I should settle:

Should I settle on the hills to the left of the natural wonder, or on the jungle next to the cotton? The hills will get me a mountain for an observatory + lots of jungle, but the coast gets me 2 fish and a port for trade routes, what do you think?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Grundma posted:

I'm playing as brazil and going to go for a cultural victory, and I'm wondering where I should settle:

Should I settle on the hills to the left of the natural wonder, or on the jungle next to the cotton? The hills will get me a mountain for an observatory + lots of jungle, but the coast gets me 2 fish and a port for trade routes, what do you think?

You could settle two cities - one on the coast north of the river and south of the bananas, and the other SW of the mountain in the gap between the two hills. That way you get both :getin:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

The hill next to the natural wonder will eventually get all of those luxuries, and it'll do so fairly quickly if you're willing to buy tiles. I like getting at least one coastal city, but a city on a hill, on a river, next to a mountain/natural wonder and with what will eventually be 4 luxuries is just too good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'd lean towards that, but what's the geopolitical situation? Where are your opponent's cities, is there anyone south of you competing for land (especially that jungle/natwonder location), and are there any nearby coastal cities for coastal trade routes? If no for the latter, I'd leave the coastal city for a bit later, for once harbours are nearby. If you're competing for land, I'll go for that southern blocker city first.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Here's a wider view

Ottomans are across a huge desert to the northeast. 2 City States to the north
Anyone know why civ crashes when I try to take a screenshot via steam with f12?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grundma posted:

Here's a wider view

Ottomans are across a huge desert to the northeast. 2 City States to the north

Settle on the hill next to the wonder ASAP, then take over Persopolis for your coastal city :getin:

edit: Maybe put another coastal city down in the east, south of the wheatfield on the river (the tile with 1F 1H) so that it's in reach of 3 fish and the truffles.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 10, 2013

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah I'd get that hill/natural wonder spot immediately and quickly buy those tiles with the copper. You might not get the chance though, since Darius will likely go for them, but settling on the coast means you won't get to settle on a hill (which is huge) and you'll be settling closest to a luxury you already have. Darius might hate you but that spot is worth it. I can't tell if Persepolis reaches the coast or not, but if it doesn't, that's just more reason not to settle on the coast since you won't be able to send him a cargo ship. If it does, you can always just take his poo poo.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Settled on the hill next to natural wonder, then used a scout+spear to herd darius' settler away from the coast. He settled on the tile below the cotton, on the coast below the fish

Edit: can you tell me why the Ottomans are doing this?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Grundma posted:

That's because Civ 5's quickload button is also bound to F12. I vaguely remember them promising to patch that, but until then you'll have to rebind your Steam screenshot key to something else.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Grundma posted:

Probably because they wanna kill you.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Grundma posted:

F12 in Civ5 is quickload, or at least it's what it does for me when it doesn't simply CTD the process with the keypress.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Ulvirich posted:

F12 in Civ5 is quickload, or at least it's what it does for me when it doesn't simply CTD the process with the keypress.

Yeah, you have to change the screenshot key in your Steam settings.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Question about hybrid turns, is it still possible for the person in the other wrong half of the turn timer to play around with their build queue and their worked tiles in their city screen?
That would make far too much sense. No, you'll spend your downtime looking at a spinning globe icon, unable to access even your demographics or trade summaries. You can chat, but that's it.

Although for some reason, in the last game one of our players claimed to be unable to even chat while waiting for everyone to finish up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Weird, I've used F12 for screenshots for ages and it's never tried to load anything or CTD'd or anything of that nature. :iiam:

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Kyrosiris posted:

Weird, I've used F12 for screenshots for ages and it's never tried to load anything or CTD'd or anything of that nature. :iiam:

Maybe you've never quicksaved?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

JayMax posted:

Maybe you've never quicksaved?

Probably. I don't know what the key for that is, and I've never intentionally used the quicksave option (rather just make normal saves or cloud saves, since I play at work a decent amount).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I accidentally click quicksave all the time.

Also, which rear end in a top hat decided to not even give the Retire button a confirmation prompt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grundma posted:

On the plus side they'll never be able to defend that from an early attack. Free city.

• Locked thread