Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, I like it a lot, so I'm wondering if it would be worth selling my Masterworks and getting the omni when the reprint comes out.

I'd say no but I prefer the smaller Masterworks format to unwieldy Omnibuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really want a good color reprint of the brief-but-awesome Paul Smith era. I've recently been going through Claremont's whole run (I'm on Essential v.7) and I think those eight issues or so could be my favorite.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Metal Loaf posted:

I've actually seen some discussion of how the rest of Claremont's X-Men should be collected. One suggestion I've seen is that the Vol. 2 omni could go from No. 132 to about 159 (ie. MMW Vol. 5 - 7), then Nos. 160 -175 could appear in some kind of OSHC, at which point No. 175 onwards could be collected a an "X-Men by Chris Claremont and John Romita Jr." omnibus which will take it through to Mutant Massacre, from which point on I think more or less everything's been collected (aside from Inferno, which seems to be the only one that's not in print atm).

Uncanny Omnibus v.2 is:

THE X-MEN 132-141, ANNUAL 4-5, THE UNCANNY X-MEN 142-153, THE AVENGERS ANNUAL 10, MARVEL FANFARE 1-4, MARVEL TREASURY EDITION 26-27, MARVEL TEAM-UP 100, BIZARRE ADVENTURES 27 & PHOENIX: THE UNTOLD STORY 1

Which is a much better story break than just sticking to the Masterworks 5-7 mapping.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'd say no but I prefer the smaller Masterworks format to unwieldy Omnibuses.

I love my USM omni, but I will reiterate how challenging they can be to read comfortably. Someone in this thread jokes about a pedestal to read them on, and that isn't half wrong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't have a problem. I usually read them at a table, but resting it on your lap lying down works fine too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have too much of a problem with either of the ones I own at the moment (the first John Byrne FF one and the first Chris Claremont and Jim Lee X-Men one); since they're pretty similar in size to the Invincible hardcovers and I've never had too much trouble with those.

What's the biggest omni? Based on pictures I've seen it's either the first ASM one or Secret Wars II, isn't it? Are there any bigger than that?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Invisibles omni is huge and kinda a pain to read.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Putting a small pillow under the huge books works best for me. I just moved and was regretting all of my past omnibi purchases.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't have too much of a problem with either of the ones I own at the moment (the first John Byrne FF one and the first Chris Claremont and Jim Lee X-Men one); since they're pretty similar in size to the Invincible hardcovers and I've never had too much trouble with those.

What's the biggest omni? Based on pictures I've seen it's either the first ASM one or Secret Wars II, isn't it? Are there any bigger than that?

As I understand it's a virtual tie between the X-Statix one and the Simonson Thor one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

According to Wikipedia, the biggest one is their Dark Tower Omnibus, with New Avengers following. John Byrne's FF Vol. 2 will beat it when it comes out later this year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Large omnibuses are awful. Sure it's great they got a large swath of material but when you're actually reading them it's useless, especially if you're trying to read them in anything other than sitting at a desk.

Also there's been reported issues with gravity destroying the books over time as it'll pull the book down and force an unnatural position that basically begins to rip the book out of its cover.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
yeah, OSHCs are the best.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

yeah, OSHCs are the best.

Yeah, this is true, but I'll still take an omnibus over pretty much any other collected format. I can understand why people find them unwieldy, but like I said, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, this is true, but I'll still take an omnibus over pretty much any other collected format. I can understand why people find them unwieldy, but like I said, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I mean the fact that you can't actually hold it and read at the same time doesn't bother you at all? I appreciate the fact that an omnibus collects so much material in one book, but I'd much rather have the same material in three separate volumes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

I mean the fact that you can't actually hold it and read at the same time doesn't bother you at all? I appreciate the fact that an omnibus collects so much material in one book, but I'd much rather have the same material in three separate volumes.

I read them lying down, resting on my lap or chest, the same way I read everything else, and it's perfectly fine?

Or, like, at a desk, which I also don't mind at all.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 6, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

I read them lying down, resting on my lap or chest, the same way I read everything else, and it's perfectly fine?

I was born without a torso you insensitive jerk.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Hakkesshu posted:

According to Wikipedia, the biggest one is their Dark Tower Omnibus, with New Avengers following. John Byrne's FF Vol. 2 will beat it when it comes out later this year.

The Dark Tower Omnibus is 2 books in a slipcase so that don't count.

The upcoming Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus should be the biggest page count wise, but nothing will ever be physically larger than the first edition, 2nd print of the Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 Omnibus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've decided to go through with it, and get the omnibus. If any UK-based goons are interested in buying my UXM Masterworks, I've put them on eBay.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was born without a torso you insensitive jerk.

Table-Top Joe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GENTLEMEN.

I am slowly converting my entire Amazon Marketplace inventory to FBA (Fulfillment By Amazon). This means if you buy something from me it will qualify for PRIME now. I will also be matching the lowest price on pretty much everything now. I'm about 50% finished, hoping to have it all sent off by the end of the month. So check out my stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/shops/CharlieComics

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I've mentioned, I've been trying to track down a copy of the Inferno hardcover which isn't mad expensive; I've had no luck but I imagine it'll be reprinted eventually. However, I've discovered a reading list for X-Men trades and I've noticed there seems to be a sizeable gap (about fifteen to twenty issues or so in both cases) between Bishop's Crossing and Age Of Apocalypse, and between Age Of Apocalypse and Operation: Zero Tolerance. I'm curious to know what stories occupied these gaps?

(There's another break between OZT and NXM, but I know what was there; Magneto has a clone, Magneto gets a country, Wolverine stabs Magneto, mutant Skrulls, Cyclopalypse etc)

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

As I've mentioned, I've been trying to track down a copy of the Inferno hardcover which isn't mad expensive; I've had no luck but I imagine it'll be reprinted eventually. However, I've discovered a reading list for X-Men trades and I've noticed there seems to be a sizeable gap (about fifteen to twenty issues or so in both cases) between Bishop's Crossing and Age Of Apocalypse, and between Age Of Apocalypse and Operation: Zero Tolerance. I'm curious to know what stories occupied these gaps?

(There's another break between OZT and NXM, but I know what was there; Magneto has a clone, Magneto gets a country, Wolverine stabs Magneto, mutant Skrulls, Cyclopalypse etc)

Between Bishop and AoA there was the X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions, and Phalanx crossovers, and AoA to OZT was the lead up to Onslaught then the fallout from it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I posted earlier in the thread about the Phalanx Covenant HC being solicited, X-cutioner's Song is out, and so is Fatal Attractions (in an omni). I'm sure they'll be filling in everything.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Whats the difference between the trades that say BPRD Plague of Frogs and BPRD Hell on Earth?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

side_burned posted:

Whats the difference between the trades that say BPRD Plague of Frogs and BPRD Hell on Earth?

The story. BPRD Plague of Frogs is what leads into BPRD Hell on Earth.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

bobkatt013 posted:

The story. BPRD Plague of Frogs is what leads into BPRD Hell on Earth.

So would buying the four Plague of Frogs hardcovers, then finishing out the Hellboy trades then getting Hell on Earth be an okay reading order?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

side_burned posted:

So would buying the four Plague of Frogs hardcovers, then finishing out the Hellboy trades then getting Hell on Earth be an okay reading order?

You can read the Hellboy trades at anytime. There are no crossovers between the two, but BPRD Hell on Earth Russia contains a huge Hellboy spoiler.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
FYI, Top Shelf is running its annual sale again.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Thanks for this. Grabbed The Underwater Welder, Alec: The Years Have Pants (hardcover for $8??), The From Hell Companion ($3, why the hell not?!), and Infinite Kung-Fu which I already have digitally but I wanted a physical copy.

Inkslinger
May 23, 2001

Is there any news on Thunderbolts Classics trades beyond Volume 3?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkslinger posted:

Is there any news on Thunderbolts Classics trades beyond Volume 3?

Busiek said a ways back he'd seen the design work for the package and Bagley had tweaked the cover art but I don't think there's a release date.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

When is the first Hickman FF Omnibus out? It's coming in the next few weeks, right?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

When is the first Hickman FF Omnibus out? It's coming in the next few weeks, right?

Amazon says 10/25 but sometimes they release stuff later or earlier than regular shops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It will be in comics shops on 10/2.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hmmmm I'm going to the US on 10/2. Hopefully I can get it there for cheaper than here, and not go over my luggage weight restriction. :getin:

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Hmmmm I'm going to the US on 10/2. Hopefully I can get it there for cheaper than here, and not go over my luggage weight restriction. :getin:

You could try ordering it from somewhere like instocktrades. I'm going to the US on Friday and there are already 22 tpbs of various titles waiting for me at my hotel. Saved a fortune.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Where you gonna be?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Where you gonna be?
East Coast, DC, NYC (sadly, the weekend before NYCC) and Boston.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

East Coast, DC, NYC (sadly, the weekend before NYCC) and Boston.

Heh, you come to the US and manage to miss the second biggest Comic-Con in the country? Silly boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Heh, you come to the US and manage to miss the second biggest Comic-Con in the country? Silly boy.
I've been to it 2 or 3 times already, plus it'll be a week or two after the con here where I'll have better/easier access to the guests.