Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Today I learned that "durst" was a real word.

Henceforth, I am aware that thou appreciate this faeces in our midst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

As I recall, somebody tweeted Randy that and he played right along. Good times.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here's Mondo's new poster for This Island, Earth. Never seen or heard of the movie, but I think the poster is pretty cool lookin':

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GonSmithe posted:

Here's Mondo's new poster for This Island, Earth. Never seen or heard of the movie, but I think the poster is pretty cool lookin':

The best way to watch This Island Earth is to watch the MST3K movie, where they make fun of it. TIE is considered something of classic though, and the Metaluna Mutant creature was actually really well done for the time.

But yeah, I really like that poster though. Mondo has definitely been releasing some lousy posters lately, but this one is really nice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Mutant was kind of weird because the upper half was all done but then when they got to the legs they just kind of cheaped out. You can actually see it there in the poster.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The mutant wasn't the only interesting character design...

At times that movie is like a science fiction "Police Squad."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But yeah, I really like that poster though. Mondo has definitely been releasing some lousy posters lately, but this one is really nice.

Francavilla is the best.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

GonSmithe posted:

Never seen or heard of the movie

You should get on that, if you can!

My understanding is this film was never made, but the poster was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

There's a saying, though I'll refrain from calling it an old saying: "The British think 100 miles is a long way; the Americans think 100 years is a long time."

"And the Russians look down on them both."

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lobok posted:

Today I learned that "durst" was a real word.

It's a remnant of the old Germanic past tense. Today everyone just says "dares". I'm checking the OED online right now to confirm this, and apparently the article hasn't been updated since 1894, and still lists durst as the majorly used past tense. Also, there are cognates with Greek, Old Church Slavonic, and "Aryan".

The Durst we are all thinking of comes from German directly. It means "thirst".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The Mutant was kind of weird because the upper half was all done but then when they got to the legs they just kind of cheaped out. You can actually see it there in the poster.

Look, no one wants to see Mu-Tant Wang, okay.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The difference between that Mondo and their poo poo ones is that the This Island Earth poster is making good use of colour.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Freud posted:

Look, no one wants to see Mu-Tant Wang, okay.

Boooooooooo

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
This is one of the few Mono posters I like. It works simply because they use more than two colours and so the elements in the poster don't blend into one blob like many of the others do.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I get the feeling that Mondo have an created a release schedule that they're trying to meet that's really hurting their "credibility" if not their bottom line (they must make mad coin).
If they only put out the truly special works like this, the low run numbers and crazy after market would be more understandable.
I'll always defend good Mondo posters when they pop up and this one is loving sick.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 19, 2013

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lizard Combatant posted:

I get the feeling that Mondo have an created a release schedule that they're trying to meet that's really hurting their "credibility" if not their bottom line (they must make mad coin).
If they only put out the truly special works like this, the low run numbers and crazy after market would be more understandable.
I'll always defend a good Mondo posters when they pop up and this one is loving sick.

There's no reason for that, they could have a print-on-demand service, or do pre-orders if they're unsure how many to print.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

effectual posted:

There's no reason for that, they could have a print-on-demand service, or do pre-orders if they're unsure how many to print.

Eh, I get that they want to create limited run art-pieces (not that I think they should mind you) and the after-market is an inevitable side effect, but churning out lazy crap kind of undermines that anyway.
But yeah, I think a limited window for pre-orders (with a 1 per customer limit) would be a fantastic idea.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
As a person who bitches a lot about Mondo, that is a really great poster.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

GonSmithe posted:

They chose that pose just to show off the Mut-Ant's sweet can.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That poster is pretty nice, but I like the postcards they make for the MST3K DVD releases where they re-purpose the characters into the poster.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WebDog posted:

This is one of the few Mono posters I like. It works simply because they use more than two colours and so the elements in the poster don't blend into one blob like many of the others do.

Francesco Francavilla is amazing when it comes to color.

Some examples:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

GonSmithe posted:

Regardless of what you might hear, watch it without the MST3K commentary first. It is a legit awesome classic. I actually just watched it again last week.

Don't get me wrong, the MST3K of it is really good, but...don't ruin your first watch with it.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Fat Lou posted:

Regardless of what you might hear, watch it without the MST3K commentary first. It is a legit awesome classic. I actually just watched it again last week.

Don't get me wrong, the MST3K of it is really good, but...don't ruin your first watch with it.

On the other hand, MST3K is about the only way to sit through this:

Movie has a better poster than it deserves.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I saw this a while ago. Nothing about it is vibrant or psychedelic, so I'm not sure why it needs the beaming red beard and dump of yellow. I'd just keep it blue. It's a pretty sombre thing.

A full body shot of this guy in a dirty shirt and sweat pants holding a gun would work pretty well.
Sorta like this Taxi Driver poster. He even has a particular car you could swap in.

Actually, I wonder if selling it as beardy hobo man the movie might not get people disappointing when he spends the vast majority of the film clean cut

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 21, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fat Lou posted:

It was the first bit of MST3K I ever saw, being from Europe. It got to the point were the hero is struggling with the plane controls between his legs and I think Crow says "Should we really be watching this?" and I was loving sold :3:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has this Alamo Drafthouse Dead Alive poster been posted yet, because I think it's pretty neat

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can't the US call it Braindead yet?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can't the US call it Braindead yet?

Dead-Alive is a better title.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Definitely.

That poster is neat, though I don't know why Paquita looks 47-years-old.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ez posted:

Definitely.

That poster is neat, though I don't know why Paquita looks 47-years-old.

Maybe they used a modern picture of the actress as their model; she's 48 now.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Now that I look at that again, her arm is unfortunately large.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Guess the poster designer for "Cloud Atlas" got some more work. Same composition, except the lens flare is on the bottom of the poster as opposed to the top. The movie is called "The Physician" in English.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

They're both pretty lame, why not combine the two for the ultimate zombie movie title: Brain Dead-Alive Body

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

ShufflerZero posted:

They're both pretty lame, why not combine the two for the ultimate zombie movie title: Brain Dead-Alive Body

BRAIN BODY

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

26th: Kids volume 4 - To save money, we get all our posters designed by the local kindergarten

Death Cheaters

the Night of the Sorcerers (aka Attack of the Voodoo House DJ)

You can tell that guy's up to no good, just look how close together his eyes are.

Alien Women

Which wins the award for "Best-yet-most-confusing Tagline"
I couldn't find a film with this title but it may actually be this movie

Beast of the Yellow Night

It Came from the Lake...

...for a manicure!

the Night Visitor

A Quiet Place to Kill

Tiny shark or giant woman?

Humanoids from Atlantis

Looks like the album cover from your 14 year old cousin's hair metal tribute band

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I just saw Shi Gan (Time). Let's have a look at its nice posters.

Nice

Better.

Best.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Wrong.

Why did they change it anyway? It doesn't fit the usual trend of dumbing down the title for the US market (I'm looking at you Sorcerer's Stone and The Golden Compass).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why did they change it anyway? It doesn't fit the usual trend of dumbing down the title for the US market (I'm looking at you Sorcerer's Stone and The Golden Compass).

Roger Corman had the rights to the name and had released a movie under the title around the same time. Bringing both Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman together in the same movie that I never actually bothered to watch.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

caligulamprey posted:

Roger Corman had the rights to the name and had released a movie under the title around the same time. Bringing both Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman together in the same movie that I never actually bothered to watch.

Another mystery solved. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

Guess the poster designer for "Cloud Atlas" got some more work. Same composition, except the lens flare is on the bottom of the poster as opposed to the top. The movie is called "The Physician" in English.

Well, here's a book-adaption I didn't think I'd ever see. With a bit of luck they'll just skip most of the first half that's set in England.