Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bremen posted:

Stone and maybe some other resources I forget are the same way, just an improved tile yield.

Stone, Bannanas, Fish, Wheat, Cattle, Deer, Sheep.

Some of these will give extra stuff in addition with the correct buildings, (Like Deer are camps and sheep and cows are pastures, so anything that boosts those two tile improvements boost them), but don't give anything other then more food and for Stone; Production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, bonus resources tend to give better yields, and they also count towards resource diversity for the purpose of trade routes. But that's about it, I'll prioritise their improvement, because 3/1 or 2/2 tiles are stronger than 3/0 farms or 0/3 mines.

It's better than what used to be the case in vanilla 1.0 Civ5, where those tiles were weaker than trading post spam, and didn't get any improved yields from techs or buildings.

I won't bother improving jungle bananas though, not because doing so loses the 2 science, but because they cost like 14 worker turns to improve, and I could build more than 2 farms in the same timeframe.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Finally won a culture victory, in 1900, by accident.

It prevented me from getting the Poland Can Into Space achievement :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

fivre posted:

Finally won a culture victory, in 1900, by accident.

It prevented me from getting the Poland Can Into Space achievement :(

I had a similar incident trying to get Vote for Pedro. I had eclipsed everyone with tourism without even trying except for France, but they were so far ahead in culture it seemed unlikely it'd happen (but they also were so small and insignificant by this point they werent a threat to me).

Then Shaka just steamrolls Napoleon and ends the game. Thanks.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Way to make me feel like an (even bigger) idiot. I was going for domination, my mistake was punishing Polynesia, who pissed me off so early in the game I surrounded the only city I left him with cities of my own and proceeded to take about every great general I owned and stole his land around him, in the end he had maybe four workable tiles. I think I went a little insane. When I started conquering, instead of taking out him out, I sort of forgot about him, so when everyone else died, I won because he barely generated any culture.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I don't quite understand the new cultural victory mechanic. Any tips on achieving cultural victory?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

ManOfTheYear posted:

I don't quite understand the new cultural victory mechanic. Any tips on achieving cultural victory?

Play as France or Brazil

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Get a ton of great works. Make sure to trade for them so you can get set bonuses in your buildings. That's the basic fundamental idea.

It's impossible to get Tourism in any serious capacity early on because there's not a lot of tourism buildings, but later techs give you more until it starts compounding on itself.

You can use great musicians to tourist bomb nations with enough culture to resist your influence.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
^^^^

Does religion play any part in this? If some nation's religion is the dominant one, does that count?

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Your culture becomes influential with a foreign civ when you've exported more tourism to them than they have generated culture. You'll get percentage bonuses for things like open borders, trade routes, same religion/ideology, and having a diplomat in their cap so try to get your +% as high as possible.

Pump out science so you can beat everyone to the end game where most of the tourism multipliers unlock. Build the guilds early and use the GP they generate on works. Try to grab any wonders with great work slots and get the themeing bonus for them.

Landmarks give tourism with hotels/airports so use archaeologists for them if your city can work it but take artifacts otherwise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

^^^^

Does religion play any part in this? If some nation's religion is the dominant one, does that count?

Not directly, but like any other victory religion can be designed to work in your favor towards it.

A.There's a reformation belief that gives tourism for any buildings bought with faith, so if you're planning ahead get at least one Cathedral/Mosque/Pagoda
B.There's a "World religion" congress decision which if enacted gives bonus tourism to the holy city of that religion, so get your religion as the world religion and watch the pilgrims flood in with those sweet sweet tourist dollars.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

ManOfTheYear posted:

You get a percentage increase in tourism with any civ that has the same majority religion as you. For that reason I've had the most consistent cultural victory success with the Celts. You're almost guaranteed the first pantheon, and probably the first religion unless you're playing against, like, Ehtiopia. You can play wide fairly easily too because of the Ceilidh House, which gives you crazy happiness and culture. You'll be a faith monster if you plant several cities in forests and farm Barbarians with Pictish Warriors. If you snag Pagodas and Cathedrals for you religion and the reformation belief that gives you bonus tourism for each one, you're set.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys, I think I understand it better now.

I got the short straw and all the religions were already invented when I got my first great prophet. Now Arabia put Islam in all of my cities. Am I screwed?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not necessarily. Spread Islam to other civs, if they share your religion you'll get a tourism boost from them (though so they will they from you). It just has to be the same religion not necessarily your religion.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I got the short straw and all the religions were already invented when I got my first great prophet. Now Arabia put Islam in all of my cities. Am I screwed?

What's Islam's beliefs? It might work in your favour

In any case, having an opponent's religion doesn't necessary screw you but it will surely help them. If, later on, Arabia is some backwater Civ with virtually no land or tech, then you could be sucking Islam's cock for all the good it'll do for him.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Isn't there any way to get rid of the religion the neighboring nations have put on you? (I almost wrote "How can I get rid of Islam" but that's just horrible.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Inquisitors, that is their purpose in life. And keep some around, enemy civs can't spread a religion to a city with an inquisitor already parked in it, so use them as anti religion talismans.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Inquisitors don't just remove heathens but they seem to convert them to your religion, and although I don't know the numbers, I get the strong impression that they are far more effective than missionaries, for the same price of faith.

But of course, inquisitors can only be used on your own cities (and puppets).

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

ManOfTheYear posted:

Isn't there any way to get rid of the religion the neighboring nations have put on you? (I almost wrote "How can I get rid of Islam" but that's just horrible.)

Don't bother trying to uproot Islam in your current game. Look up its bonuses and use them to the best effect you can. You're only missing out on the founder bonus and actually being able to customize it.

If you have your own religion inquisitors stationed in cities will prevent prophets from converting it, but it's really only worth it to protect your holy city.

Q: Why do inquisitors convert the heathens?
A: They don't.

The reason why inquisitors seem to convert people is how religion works. It's more or less like tourism, on a city level. Imagine a city with 2 competing religions, the game is actually tracking 3 scores.

1. Your religion.
2. Their religion.
3. The non-believers.

The resulting follower counts are based on the ratio of your religion points vs. their religion points vs. non-believer points (which are based on pop) (This is also what the hell that +1000 crap means when you use a missionary, 1000 points of religious pressure)

Since your religion overpowered the non-believers, the only thing preventing a conversion was the other religion. Removing its accumulated pressure caused the city to flip to you. Of course it's probably more complicated than that, I'm guessing there is a max based on pop that a religion can score, otherwise cities would be impossible to convert with just religious pressure later in the game.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 24, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
One good synergy between religion and tourism victory is to save up about 5000 faith by the time you get the Internet technology, and make sure you finish the Aesthetics tree by then as well. (Don't worry about spawning great prophets, that stops happening once you hit the Industrial era)

The reason is this: Great Musician's special ability - concert tour - allows them to do about ten turns worth of your entire tourism output to one other civ, and two turns worth to every other civ. Your tourism is going to be just about as high as it can possibly be once you research the Internet, and you're going to be competing with others who are going for diplomatic or science victories by then.

Take your 5000 faith and use it to buy three Great Musicians, and blow them all on your hardest "target" civ - there's usually some bastard with 60,000 culture or something out there. In one shot you'll catch up a ludicrous amount, and may even win the game right there and then.

Oh, and play Brazil. Best tourism civ by FAR.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

If you do not have a religion there is nothing you can do to prevent an AI from spreading religion to you. You just have to accept it, it's not really a bad thing either way.

People saying to use Inquisitors are forgetting that you cannot buy inquisitors without a religion, and they are the religion of the city they came from, meaning you will not be able to use inquisitors to completely eradicate all religion from your land. Islamic inquisitors don't purge Islam, for example.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gort posted:

One good synergy between religion and tourism victory is to save up about 5000 faith by the time you get the Internet technology, and make sure you finish the Aesthetics tree by then as well. (Don't worry about spawning great prophets, that stops happening once you hit the Industrial era)

The reason is this: Great Musician's special ability - concert tour - allows them to do about ten turns worth of your entire tourism output to one other civ, and two turns worth to every other civ. Your tourism is going to be just about as high as it can possibly be once you research the Internet, and you're going to be competing with others who are going for diplomatic or science victories by then.

Take your 5000 faith and use it to buy three Great Musicians, and blow them all on your hardest "target" civ - there's usually some bastard with 60,000 culture or something out there. In one shot you'll catch up a ludicrous amount, and may even win the game right there and then.

Oh, and play Brazil. Best tourism civ by FAR.

The other more obvious synergy between religion and tourism is getting a World Religion voted in. If you're aggressive with missionaries and GPs, you can send out a conversion wave in the leadup to the vote and try to get the numbers necessary for it to pass. Then you can just kind of forget about religion spreading and save up for your GM rush. This strategy is not always feasible depending on the religious situation.

edit: poo poo, meant to edit this into the other post.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

The game is so much more fun when you have Shaka as a neighbour. Ever since BNW playing peaceful is so heavily incentivised that before renaissance even the AI barely attacks you anymore. Not so with Shaka.

Shaka is a bit off to the east, further behind is Songhai and England somewhere. To the west there is Arabia and America. In the south there is Babylon doing the usual social outcast thing. I'm playing as China.
When I first met Shaka he immediately asked me to go to war against Askia, who was on the other side of the map. Failing that he asked the same about Babylon instead. After I declined a second time he went for Askia anyway and captured his capital.

I didn't mind him and instead went to capture Mecca which was much closer. While I'm doing so Shaka backstabs me and overruns my easternmost city before I manage to capture Mecca, make peace with Arabia and move my army back up. Under heavy losses I liberated my city and surprisingly he accepted a peace treaty. The very next turn he declares war on Songhai again, apparently capturing their capital isn't enough.

I decide to mind my own business and rebuild my army, when 10 turns later Shaka, Washington and a bunch of city states declare war on me. Fortunately Shaka showed up late so I had time to defend Americas attack before I had to deal with him again.

I manage to fight my way through to America's capital and eventually Shaka accepted another peace treaty. Then he instantly turned on England.

I really wish more AIs were as :black101:. loving Shaka.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I started my first game on emperor with Attila and Genghis being the first two civs to say hi.

Nope.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

MickRaider posted:

I started my first game on emperor with Attila and Genghis being the first two civs to say hi.

Nope.

Genghis isn't so bad most of the time. He's usually too busy capturing a city state to DOW you early on. I'd be more worried about polynesia as a neighbor, or any other rapid expander.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I just won a space Victory as Montezuma.

This wouldn't be a big deal but during the entire game I never hit the point in Civ games where you get an unsurmountable advantage and snowball, it was neck and neck the whole way through. I was two ages up on people technology, but barbarians were constantly spawning right outside my cities (Because Jungle vision) and ruining my stuff, hurting my growth, while Poland and Germany Conquered the world.

In the end they were the two Super Powers, and Germany was on the edge of diplomatic victory. I stopped researching Spaceship stuff and grabbed Globalization instead, just in time to have the second highest votes on the first World Leader vote. From there, I kept desperately paying off other civs to vote with me, first I repealed his religion to take some delegates- he made the World Ideology Order at the same time, so his numbers didn't change-, and kept dipping into negative happiness, but I just kept focusing on the parts I needed. It eventually came down to one vote. Either I repealed Order as the World Ideology, or he won the next vote, and I wouldn't be able to stop him. I gave a ton of civs all of my luxuries- dropping me to -16 happiness-, and he chose to Embargo Songhai instead of set the World Religion back as Hinduism.

I won the vote to repeal it, which meant he was 2 delegates (The two from either of the World (X)s) short for his victory. After that vote, there was no way for him to stop me from finishing the Space Ship and sailing into the stars.

I actually have a bunch of screenshots of it because I'm making it for an LP, but it's just the screen shots for now. Here's the screenshot of the World Congress after I managed to repeal Order;

Yes that giant red blob is Poland. He took over all of Rome, Venice, and most of Carthage and Japan.

And yeah, don't worry about Genghis early. He's not overly aggressive to civs if you have a strong military. He only wants to conquer all the City states.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MickRaider posted:

Nope.
Solution: Out-Hun Attila and out-pillage Genghis. gently caress them up, burn everything but their capitals, and laugh as you reap the benefits of having three starter-quality cities and six-plus luxuries in 2500BC.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 24, 2013

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.
I've still never seen a culture victory, from myself or an AI. The World Leader vote always comes up long before anyone techs up to hotels, and I wind up spending all my cash keeping the city states allied to me thereby inadvertently winning a diplomatic victory.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Grocer Goodwill posted:

I've still never seen a culture victory, from myself or an AI. The World Leader vote always comes up long before anyone techs up to hotels, and I wind up spending all my cash keeping the city states allied to me thereby inadvertently winning a diplomatic victory.

You could always vote for yourself -1 vote required to win. You lose but still gain a permanent delegate. It's what I did for a Snoshone Science Victory after I completed Freedom for the +Influence with Trade Routes because I wanted that sweet City State Science.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Can't you just abstain from the vote? Or are CS allies alone enough to do it?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Can't you just abstain from the vote? Or are CS allies alone enough to do it?

CS don't vote. You get their votes to use.

You can totally abstain, I just like to continue to add extra delegates to push through whatever bills I want.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Also, the people with the top two votes get an extra delegate each, so if you don't keep adding a delegate, you can eventually lose just by it occurring enough. Although by the time it really becomes possible for them to win like that, you should have already had your spaceship built.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What speed do most of you play on? I see these epic maps and epic games and all this cool stuff in the stories, but I never get to that extent in my games until the very very end. I always play on standard. Am I missing out on something?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm Quick/Normal, I've never touched Epic for either Civ4 or 5.

Besides, epicness maps more to difficulty level than to gamespeed. The harder it is, the less likely you'll run away with the game, so you'll still have Interesting Decisions to make into the lategame.

I do wish the AI was better at teching, even on Immortal, I find the AI falling behind in tech around the time I hit Renaissance/Industrial era. And that they don't start with so many advantages, because that basically means I will never build a single Ancient-Medieval wonder.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Jastiger posted:

What speed do most of you play on? I see these epic maps and epic games and all this cool stuff in the stories, but I never get to that extent in my games until the very very end. I always play on standard. Am I missing out on something?

I play on the second speed (Epic?), and I play on difficulty 4. Usually that's a pretty good difficulty for me.

What made that game hard was that I ignored what Monty was good at. Rather then building an Army of Jaguars, conquering a civ and boosting your culture up to max Honor, then relying on the 'heal when you kill an enemy' effect to steamroll the rest of the game, I went for the Science Victory. I played on a Lakes map- I wouldn't have, but Monty has no start bias towards Lakes and they were really essential to my plan- built cities entirely on Jungles and Lakes, and focused purely on getting massive amounts of population and Science.

It was harder then usual, but because Floating Gardens are just so amazing if you have enough lake tiles, I could pull it out.

Here's the two main cities I had; The third one at the bottom I plopped out on a Desert then started shoveling Great Engineers and Scientists at it to get as much tile production as I could, and it managed a respectable 25 population.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Phobophilia posted:

I'm Quick/Normal, I've never touched Epic for either Civ4 or 5.

Besides, epicness maps more to difficulty level than to gamespeed. The harder it is, the less likely you'll run away with the game, so you'll still have Interesting Decisions to make into the lategame.

I do wish the AI was better at teching, even on Immortal, I find the AI falling behind in tech around the time I hit Renaissance/Industrial era. And that they don't start with so many advantages, because that basically means I will never build a single Ancient-Medieval wonder.

I agree. The AI gets too many starter bonuses and not enough as the game goes on.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is it smart to expand early in the game? I often end up with a pretty small empire and aim for a culture/science victory and for the first time I tried to expand very early on: I got 6 cities and a lot of land, but unhapiness was overflowing and money was a huge issue, building military or buildings was hard as hell.

However, if I leave expanding later on in the game, there isn't that much land left. What's the best strategy here?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Okay, something about the Culture Victory I don't get - I want to generate Tourism in excess of their Culture, simple enough. I build structures that give options for Great Works, increase the chance of Great Persons, etc. But getting Great Works off of other players for Set bonuses -

1. How do I tell what Set bonuses with what, it's not clear?
2. Why would anyone agree to Trade me a Great Work anyway if they know you're going Culture (which is the only reason you'd be trading for them anyway), a Military/Diplomatic/Science Civ would surely just sit on theirs to deny me options?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is it smart to expand early in the game? I often end up with a pretty small empire and aim for a culture/science victory and for the first time I tried to expand very early on: I got 6 cities and a lot of land, but unhapiness was overflowing and money was a huge issue, building military or buildings was hard as hell.

However, if I leave expanding later on in the game, there isn't that much land left. What's the best strategy here?

Usually it's not a good idea to expand past your happiness threshold unless you already have a plan to get out of that hole.

There will be plenty of land left later in the game. It just happens to be settled by jerks squatting on property that is rightfully yours. Kick them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Okay, something about the Culture Victory I don't get - I want to generate Tourism in excess of their Culture, simple enough. I build structures that give options for Great Works, increase the chance of Great Persons, etc. But getting Great Works off of other players for Set bonuses -

1. How do I tell what Set bonuses with what, it's not clear?
2. Why would anyone agree to Trade me a Great Work anyway if they know you're going Culture (which is the only reason you'd be trading for them anyway), a Military/Diplomatic/Science Civ would surely just sit on theirs to deny me options?

1.On the great works screen, hover over the +0 next to each building, it will tell you exactly what the set requires (Usually says something like "Two works each from the same civilization but different eras" or something)

2.Theres a specific trade menu where you can handle all that stuff outside of the normal diplomacy screen. Far as I can tell it's automatic.

• Locked thread