Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Typhus733 posted:

I actually would totally recommend playing both. You absolutely don't have to but they're both great and unlike BG->BG2 the first isn't endlessly tedious.
I also enjoyed IDW 1's expansions Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster, particularly HoW as it gives a lot of new spells on top of the other features. My druid PC felt particularly powerful after applying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's a late 90s era low-budget action adventure game with questionable controls.

I thought it was supposed to be the best one of the series?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

WYA posted:

Doesn't stop it from being old, dated and a bit broken.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WYA posted:

Redguard? No, not at all. It isn't even an RPG, so if you're coming to it for something like Skyrim, you won't get it. I like Redguard despite myself(mostly out of nostalgia) but I find it very hard to recommend these days. I've also heard of very few people who even played it, let alone think it's the best of the series. Most people will say either Morrowind or Skyrim.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Daler Mehndi posted:

I also enjoyed IDW 1's expansions Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster, particularly HoW as it gives a lot of new spells on top of the other features. My druid PC felt particularly powerful after applying it.

I've not yet played IWD2, but I do agree that the IWD + HoW is absolutely worth playing in its own right.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together supposed to be brutally hard? I've only played the GBA version, years ago, and don't remember having near this much trouble. Now, on PSP, I'm barely scraping by most fights.

Dec 26, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together supposed to be brutally hard? I've only played the GBA version, years ago, and don't remember having near this much trouble. Now, on PSP, I'm barely scraping by most fights.

The GBA one is an entirely different game. I don't know about the PSP remake but the original SNES one was pretty brutal.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Get an archer. Then get another archer. Maybe a third. Repeat until the game is longer difficult.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

01011001 posted:

The GBA one is an entirely different game. I don't know about the PSP remake but the original SNES one was pretty brutal.

I don't know why I said GBA when I meant PSX :psyduck:. Past me must have been way better at gaming then.

I have a pair of archers already, someone I know told me to literally make everyone archers if I wanted to win straight up.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Million Ghosts posted:

I don't know why I said GBA when I meant PSX :psyduck:. Past me must have been way better at gaming then.

I have a pair of archers already, someone I know told me to literally make everyone archers if I wanted to win straight up.

You don't really need more than Canopus w/ a crossbow and a couple of archers. A pair of healer with lobbers is really nice. I also have a couple of mages throwing around status effects. Stuff like charm and petrify land pretty often. I haven't beat it yet, but I thought the missions were only really hard when you actually wanted to save the guest. I decided most of them could just die if that's what they really wanted to do.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
For those that have beaten Trails in the Sky, any tips for beating that rear end in a top hat Lorence? I can't come anywhere close.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Friendly Factory posted:

I actually cannot physically play ME1 after playing 2 and 3. They're just so much better in every way. Yes, I liked 3. Dumbest thing in the series was in ME2 though (giant robo-baby).

That's weird because right now I'm sort of dreading Mass Effect 3 and I'd rather go and play Mass Effect 1 again. What is the combat like in 3, is there a bit more enemy variety? Does every encounter still have 2 or 3 waves of the same enemies spawn in?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Red Bones posted:

That's weird because right now I'm sort of dreading Mass Effect 3 and I'd rather go and play Mass Effect 1 again. What is the combat like in 3, is there a bit more enemy variety? Does every encounter still have 2 or 3 waves of the same enemies spawn in?

The combat in 3 is the best of the bunch, in my opinion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Poonerman posted:

For those that have beaten Trails in the Sky, any tips for beating that rear end in a top hat Lorence? I can't come anywhere close.

How far back of a save do you have? If you can go far back enough to have access to the shops in Grancel, check your recipe book for CP restoring foods, then buy the poo poo out of the ingredients you need to make them. (Checking briefly, I believe a shop in Grancel also sells Special Ice Cream, which restores 25CP.)

Start the fight with 200CP on everybody, go nuts, and then throw CP restoration at Estelle with the rest of your party and spam her S-Craft. Although he's a complete shitwrecker, he's got really low health for that point in the game, so you should be able to power through him like this. If you've got the Gladiator Belt from becoming Bracer First Class, then throw that on Estelle too.

If cheesing like this isn't an option, life gets harder. Make sure everybody in your party is immune to mute and confuse so that Demon Flames won't cripple you. If you have the Gladiator Belt, throw that and the Grail Locket on Estelle. (If your Bracer Rank isn't good enough to have the Grail Locket, you're pretty much screwed.) Heal with items, since he'll just cancel anything you try and cast with Zero Storm. (Actually, Zero Storm is one of his least dangerous moves, so it can be a good idea to have someone cast just to bait him into using it.)

Basically, his biggest weakness is his surprisingly low HP. You want to hit him as hard and as fast as you can, which means Action 2 quartz are great. More moves also means you have more chances to impede his Tearal spamming, which is essential.

Also, keep in mind there's literally no reward except extra BP. If you're not going for 100%, it might be a good idea to not even bother.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 29, 2013

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm honestly really annoyed that you don't have to win, considering it's so late in the game. Didn't even bother doing it since I had already missed a few jobs.

Also, that ending ruled.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Red Bones posted:

Having just started playing 3 recently, here's some key differences from 2, though most is similar.

1. You have a dodge roll. This can be used to quickly duck into cover, or to quick swap from one cover spot to another.
2. You can sprint forever.
3. Any class can equip any weapons, but...
4. ...equipping more weapons affects how fast your powers cooldown. This can range from powers coming back three times as fast to basically being useless.
5. On that note, powers are now better grouped, and you won't be locked out of using an ammo power just because you went into Adrenaline Rush. (You would be locked out of Concussive Shot though)
6. In fact, little things like ammo powers and first aid induce no cooldown period at all.
7. Health no longer regenerates completely, only up to the next 20%, for any more than that you need medi-gel.

Others can probably elaborate more than me.

On the topic of ME3, has anyone else had a bug with Adrenaline Rush where sometimes it just doesn't do anything? I'll see Shepard glow slightly but there won't be any time slowdown or the other screen effects that go along with it.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
So I was looking for a new wii rpg at my game store and they had phantom brave:we will meet again cheap.

Is it any good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBigTwo posted:

So I was looking for a new wii rpg at my game store and they had phantom brave:we will meet again cheap.

Is it any good?

Have you played any of the Disgaea games? It's a spinoff of those. It's not one of the better ones but it's perfectly playable.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
I haven't played a Disgaea, but they're like sorta like Final Fantasy tactics, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBigTwo posted:

I haven't played a Disgaea, but they're like sorta like Final Fantasy tactics, right?

Uh, sort of.

The idea behind Disgaea and its spinoffs is that the game is relatively simple at first blush but has a bunch of esoteric bizarre systems you can use to powergame to insane degrees. It's as much a game about figuring out inventive ways to make numbers get bigger as it is a game about killing enemies. You can play it that way (and it holds together surprisingly well) but huge amounts of the post-game and bonus content revolve around MAKE NUMBERS BIGGER.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, sort of.

The idea behind Disgaea and its spinoffs is that the game is relatively simple at first blush but has a bunch of esoteric bizarre systems you can use to powergame to insane degrees. It's as much a game about figuring out inventive ways to make numbers get bigger as it is a game about killing enemies. You can play it that way (and it holds together surprisingly well) but huge amounts of the post-game and bonus content revolve around MAKE NUMBERS BIGGER.

Oh okay, thanks I'll get it then, if there's one thing I like in an rpg it's hitting enemies so hard that they die several times.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TheBigTwo posted:

Oh okay, thanks I'll get it then, if there's one thing I like in an rpg it's hitting enemies so hard that they die several times.

Just to give you some kind of perspective, in endgame Disgaea games, a million damage is a weak attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBigTwo posted:

If you like doing that then this franchise is for you.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Just to give you some kind of perspective, in endgame Disgaea games, a million damage is a weak attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCfv37wwQaQ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheBigTwo posted:

I recommend skipping Phantom Brave and getting "Soul Nomad and the World Eaters" by the same company instead. Phantom Brave is supposedly pretty mediocre, while Soul Nomad is very good and has an amazing alternate storyline that you can unlock after beating the main game.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
If I wanted to get into the main series what would be a good starting point?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 4, 2018

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you have a Vita, the Vita version of 3, but yes 3's story/characters aren't great. Otherwise 4.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Friendly Factory posted:

The story in Disgaea games are trash, so start with whatever. I suggest 3 only because it's the most recent one I've played.

Disgaea 4 has a perfectly fine story. :colbert:

...Which is why I wouldn't suggest checking it out first.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Disgaea 4 has a perfectly fine story. :colbert:

...Which is why I wouldn't suggest checking it out first.

Is that the one where they only talk about sardines?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kild posted:

Is that the one where they only talk about sardines?

They definitely talk about sardines a lot.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Poonerman posted:

Cake Attack posted:

Also, keep in mind there's literally no reward except extra BP. If you're not going for 100%, it might be a good idea to not even bother.

A little late, but it's worth keeping in mind that in the Steam version, that fight will almost certainly be worth an achievement as well (or two, since I'm sure there'll be one for max BP as well), if you care about such things. But yeah, that fight is mostly a bonus challenge. And also a teaser for the real fight with him in SC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Friendly Factory posted:

The story in Disgaea games are trash, so start with whatever. I suggest 3 only because it's the most recent one I've played.

I will fight you. The original Disgaea has some of my favorite story/dialogue/characters from any RPG I've played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't necessarily call Phantom Brave a 'spin-off' of Disgaea. A lot of the mechanics are similar but it has its own flavor in terms of how it plays, and the story's got nothing to do with Disgaea. Laharl & Co make an appearance, but only in a jokey cameo fight way. Same with Soul Nomad.

Though funnily enough Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad are connected in a fairly direct way.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I will fight you. The original Disgaea has some of my favorite story/dialogue/characters from any RPG I've played.

I agree with this. The first disgaea story is relentlessly hilarious and the characters are great.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

It's definitely preferable to play the original Disgaea on PSP if you can, the voice acting adds a lot to the experience and the PSP version has quite a bit of extra stuff over the PS2 version.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The PS2 version has voice acting. It has a better voice for Etna and the Prinnies as well.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

PS2 doesn't have Etna mode :(

Dross fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 6, 2013

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Any PC or PS3, X360 RPGs with good prestige systems? i.e. you finish the game, or you get to a certain point and die, but because of your progress the next time you start the game you get an extra ability, or something like that.

The only one I can kind of think of is Dragon Quarter and that's kind of questionable at best :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mune posted:

Any PC or PS3, X360 RPGs with good prestige systems? i.e. you finish the game, or you get to a certain point and die, but because of your progress the next time you start the game you get an extra ability, or something like that.

The only one I can kind of think of is Dragon Quarter and that's kind of questionable at best :(

Rogue Legacy is pretty much the epitome of this.