Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theflyingorc posted:

I'm...not sure what about the OUYA was misogyny

I think he's saying the target market were misogynists, or more accurately Redditors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Speaking of Doobie's dogs

:allears::frogc00l:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah but they clearly never actually meant it. They were all about reinventing consoles and gaming and whatnot in the same way that MLMs are all about helping the little person break free of the 9-to-5 grind and become independently wealthy. Say what you want about Molyneux, but that motherfucker dreams big and believes it wholeheartedly. He's just constantly overambitious and unable to discern when it is time for quiet and/or realism.
As someone who has followed the OUYA way more than a human should - no, they believed it. Their idea was dumb, but they're too dumb top see it.

And Molyneux isn't a big dreamer. He's simply incapable of thinking an idea through and figuring out if it will translate to an actual compelling gameplay feature, or something that you'll do once and then ignore. He's literally the only person in the industry paid to be 100% an "Idea Guy" and I do not understand why people keep giving him money.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

theflyingorc posted:

As someone who has followed the OUYA way more than a human should - no, they believed it. Their idea was dumb, but they're too dumb top see it.

And Molyneux isn't a big dreamer. He's simply incapable of thinking an idea through and figuring out if it will translate to an actual compelling gameplay feature, or something that you'll do once and then ignore. He's literally the only person in the industry paid to be 100% an "Idea Guy" and I do not understand why people keep giving him money.

He got in early and his stuff sells. Well enough to put his name next to a title and it making a difference.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You have to click on houses sometimes to get resources, so people played like five minutes and then flipped their poo poo about how it's "obviously" just a Farmville clone now even though playing for more than five minutes reveals that it, in fact, is not.
Having read the Kickstarter comments and looked at the review videos, you don't just have to click on houses to get resources, you also have to wait for real-time timers that are several minutes long to count down before you can click the houses, and you can pay "gems" in order to skip the waiting which will be purchasable using real money. (Oh, and after the first five minutes the game mechanics mean you spend more and more time waiting and less time clicking.) I've no idea why anyone could think it's a Farmville clone though!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

This may be the best summation of Peter Molyneux I have ever read.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

theflyingorc posted:

He's literally the only person in the industry paid to be 100% an "Idea Guy" and I do not understand why people keep giving him money.

I was going to say that it's because he comes up with a lot of funny, bizarre, and sometimes really interesting ideas but then I remembered I was thinking of the petermolydeux twitter account.
It's kind of sad when a parody of you is better at your schtick than you are.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

I was going to say that it's because he comes up with a lot of funny, bizarre, and sometimes really interesting ideas but then I remembered I was thinking of the petermolydeux twitter account.
It's kind of sad when a parody of you is better at your schtick than you are.

Holy poo poo, that twitter account is hilarious. This video they did is pure gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BEMGjCpTaE

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I was really close to unfollowing Peter Molydeux (the fake twitter account) a few months ago because he stopped doing his thing and started promoting other real, quirky indie games. But it looks like he's back on track.

Also, this picture is hilarious: https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/383612359316484096/photo/1

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Some of the game demos people have created based on the Molydeux Twitter are really awesome too.

"Italian Rocket Riders" is fun (you drive in cars that can only go 0mph or 10,000mph while children walk around the racetrack)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqxSfya8Y5w

And "Nebulous Hero" is a GREAT game where you unlock the instructions in order to find out that you've been doing everything incorrectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoafPOZgey8

And the ever classic "You are the road"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qFzLBkybE

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Noni posted:

Here's the video game equivalent of a feed bag. Do your arms get exhausted after playing video games for 16 hours straight? Well, let your neck bear the burden of that heavy controller. Now you can use your piss bottle and grab a ladlefull of mayonnaise at the same time without worrying about where to put that unwieldy controller. I know, some of you will buy this because it's somehow practical for gaming while standing or something, but it's still ridiculous if only because it reminds me of one of those prank gift boxes from The Onion:

So it's 35 dollars because the guy uses a wired mic and cant talk to his friends when he walks away.

Or you could spend 35 dollars and get a xbox wireless headset.

But you know, having a big loving harness attached to you at all times is probably better.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Athanatos posted:

So it's 35 dollars because the guy uses a wired mic and cant talk to his friends when he walks away.

But you know, having a big loving harness attached to you at all times is probably better.

My controller is also my baby and will be carried in a similar fashion. Can't let this palm sweat and cheeto dust mixture leave my sight.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I could see grognards wearing this at LANs/conventions. Sort of a "I'm such a hardass I refuse to use pubbie controls :smuggo: " thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Athanatos posted:

Or you know, even spend $10 on one of those southeast China knockoff wireless mics on ebay that are made from the same molds and electronics but had too many scratches or dents to be sold as genuine Microsoft.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

theflyingorc posted:

Why do you think he had to turn to Kickstarter? Why do you think he left Lionshead or whatever and started "99 cans" ?

The investors finally wised up, the guy's career is a mess. They finally stopped giving him money.

Sadly there's always saps on the internet to turn to.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do you think he had to turn to Kickstarter? Why do you think he left Lionshead or whatever and started "99 cans" ?

The investors finally wised up, the guy's career is a mess. They finally stopped giving him money.

Sadly there's always saps on the internet to turn to.

Considering that Populous came out in 1989, I feel confident in saying that Peter Molyneux has not made an uncontroversially good game since before I was born. That's a longass time for investors to take to wise up. I'll never understand how Fable 1 didn't end him, unless he's sold his soul to the devil or something.

I think the biggest reason why he refuses to go away is that video game designers were beginning to get well-known in the 90's, and so you had people who only ever really had one good idea for a game hailed as visionary auteurs. It was a time where designers got to have their names in the title, and that would sell the game. The biggest difference between Peter Molyneux and the rest of them was that he was good at playing the part of the visionary auteur (read: have impossibly ambitious ideas, then take credit for the work of the people who struggle to turn them into a functional game), whereas the others eventually hit the limits of their creativity and faded from view after a high-profile failure (see: John Romero, Chris Roberts, Roberta Williams).

[In my personal opinion, there have only ever been five true genius game designers: Shigeru Miyamoto (seriously, read some of his retrospectives on the design of the first Mario games), Sid Meier, Will Wright, Hideo Kojima, and Chris Crawford (crazy as he may be, he gets video games on an intuitive level like few others).]

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ximen posted:

He hyped his fans so many times over the last couple of years, examples is all the features that he promised for Fable / Black & White, and never delivered.
But that doesen't go without saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

You funded a Molyneux Kickstarter in the year 2013, it's your own fault.

I just wish someone would make another Populous game already.

Edit: wait

quote:

Godus is designed by Peter Molyneux and is the spiritual successor to his earlier creation, Populous.

Is it any good? Does it involve fireblasting unsuspecting braves into lava?

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Oct 4, 2013

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Some of the game demos people have created based on the Molydeux Twitter are really awesome too.

"Italian Rocket Riders" is fun (you drive in cars that can only go 0mph or 10,000mph while children walk around the racetrack)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqxSfya8Y5w

And "Nebulous Hero" is a GREAT game where you unlock the instructions in order to find out that you've been doing everything incorrectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoafPOZgey8

And the ever classic "You are the road"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qFzLBkybE

:stare:

all three of these are incredible

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

makomk posted:

Having read the Kickstarter comments and looked at the review videos, you don't just have to click on houses to get resources, you also have to wait for real-time timers that are several minutes long to count down before you can click the houses, and you can pay "gems" in order to skip the waiting which will be purchasable using real money. (Oh, and after the first five minutes the game mechanics mean you spend more and more time waiting and less time clicking.) I've no idea why anyone could think it's a Farmville clone though!

You build Settlements to collect a large area of houses resources into one statue, you mine gems not buy them(when you click the gem counter there's even a big popup saying there is no store), and again, using the settlements means you honestly only need to make a couple clicks every half hour or so for more of the resource than you'll be able to use in that half hour unless you literally just sit there clearing mountains down to the groundwater level or spam super expensive powers on open ground for shits and giggles. 90% of the complaints are dumbasses making assumptions wrongly, ignoring clear instructions from the game(and the fact that it's only ~40% complete) or doing stupid poo poo on purpose and then complaining that the game is bad when you purposefully try to play it wrong. Honestly, I click less to get resources in Godus than I do when playing an RTS(sending harvesting units to different resources points and the like).

A Fancy 400 lbs has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Oct 4, 2013

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

DStecks posted:

I'll never understand how Fable 1 didn't end him, unless he's sold his soul to the devil or something.

Because Fable 1: The Lost Chapters came out, and one of the Demon Doors had a floppy purple leopard-print pimp hat in it as a reward.

I don't get Cornhole. It seems popular with the drunk crowd, but what happens if you don't have a crowd? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/403160020/cornhollertm-toss-excitement-into-americas-cornhol You have a thing that simulates a crowd, of course. To be fair, it looks like there's been some amount of work put into it, and it looks like it's pretty much ready to go, but...for cornhole?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Because Fable 1: The Lost Chapters came out, and one of the Demon Doors had a floppy purple leopard-print pimp hat in it as a reward.

I don't get Cornhole. It seems popular with the drunk crowd, but what happens if you don't have a crowd? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/403160020/cornhollertm-toss-excitement-into-americas-cornhol You have a thing that simulates a crowd, of course. To be fair, it looks like there's been some amount of work put into it, and it looks like it's pretty much ready to go, but...for cornhole?

I just can't take seriously anything that is named after an rear end in a top hat. Literally.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I live in a farm town in the rural midwest and I've still never seen it called corn hole by anyone but someone trying to sell something related to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DStecks posted:

Considering that Populous came out in 1989, I feel confident in saying that Peter Molyneux has not made an uncontroversially good game since before I was born. That's a longass time for investors to take to wise up. I'll never understand how Fable 1 didn't end him, unless he's sold his soul to the devil or something.

I think the biggest reason why he refuses to go away is that video game designers were beginning to get well-known in the 90's, and so you had people who only ever really had one good idea for a game hailed as visionary auteurs. It was a time where designers got to have their names in the title, and that would sell the game. The biggest difference between Peter Molyneux and the rest of them was that he was good at playing the part of the visionary auteur (read: have impossibly ambitious ideas, then take credit for the work of the people who struggle to turn them into a functional game), whereas the others eventually hit the limits of their creativity and faded from view after a high-profile failure (see: John Romero, Chris Roberts, Roberta Williams).

[In my personal opinion, there have only ever been five true genius game designers: Shigeru Miyamoto (seriously, read some of his retrospectives on the design of the first Mario games), Sid Meier, Will Wright, Hideo Kojima, and Chris Crawford (crazy as he may be, he gets video games on an intuitive level like few others).]

Add American McGee and Richard Garriott to the list of box names that were forgotten.

And Suda51 is still doing it, although I think he's batshit, although others worship him. And I honestly think Kojima is overrated as gently caress, even though I've played and enjoyed all the metal gear solid games. He's batshit insane too. I guess batshit insane and playable and fun is better than boring, but its not exactly genius.

Miyamoto's just on a different level than everybody else you mentioned, the only real game development 'genius' imo. Will Wright is pretty good too though. Sid Meier's good but only for strategy, so eh. Warren Spector used to be amazing but times have changed. I like Ken Levine's style a ton but I dunno if I'd call him a genius.

Carmack I would actually call a genius but he doesn't know the first thing about game design, just good programming.

Thing is as much of a failure as Fable 1 was compared to what Molyneux sold us on, I think it still sold really well. We bought the hype, and by the time we realized it was too late. Then you'd thing Fable 2 or 3 would suck, or wouldn't even get made, but apparently these days a brand name is a brand name, even if its a bad brand.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That's called a corn hole? Really? I just call it loving bean bag toss. Because you toss bean bags.

I guess that doesn't make sense with other sports, because in (American) football you don't foot balls, and in soccer you don't... well, soccer isn't a verb and "sock her" is definitely not something you do in the sport.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I live in a farm town in the rural midwest and I've still never seen it called corn hole by anyone but someone trying to sell something related to it.

What the gently caress is "cornhole"? You throw bean bags through a hole in a board that's sitting on the ground?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

And I honestly think Kojima is overrated as gently caress, even though I've played and enjoyed all the metal gear solid games. He's batshit insane too. I guess batshit insane and playable and fun is better than boring, but its not exactly genius.
Kojima is a Japanese version of Peter Molyneux - except that every stupid idea he comes up with he works on it and works on it and works on it until it's awesome and fun. He bends stupid gameplay concepts to his iron will, where Molyneux just says "Hoo boy that sure would be fun wouldn't it alright somebody else figure it out".

And he owes me money for Black and White. And I didn't even purchase the game.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kro-Bar posted:

What the gently caress is "cornhole"? You throw bean bags through a hole in a board that's sitting on the ground?

Yes. Three points if you get it in the hole, one if you get it on the board, and it's cancellation scoring. It's pretty popular nationwide at this point.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

I'm guessing the "cornhole" name came from bags made with burlap and corn kernels being an easy and cheap home made bean bag if you're out in the country, if it's not just a modern made up name, but honestly everyone I know calls it bags or bag toss. It's just something to do at family/friend get togethers like graduation parties and the like.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

"sock her" is definitely not something you do in the sport.

Tell that to several professional athletes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

It's pretty popular nationwide at this point.

What loving nation do you live in?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Geirskogul posted:

I see it played at played in stadium lots tailgate parties whenever I go to watch The Sports, which is rarely, but still. Here in the USA. :911:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

You can go tailgating anywhere in the US and see people playing it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Tailgate that cornhole!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pingiivi posted:

Tailgate that cornhole!

I'm going to have to tell you to cease and desist from talking about my upcoming adult film "Tailgate That Cornhole!" in public at this time. We are not yet releasing information about it to the public.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Count Chocula posted:

I was pretty annoyed when I heard this. I know there's legal reasons but there's already so much anti-GMO hysteria and regulation that this just removed another avenue for research.

Well, there was this thing:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/930368578/openpcr-open-source-biotech-on-your-desktop?ref=live

Now someone just needs to find a way to make a DNA synthesizer out of a Raspberry Pi and laser-cut plywood.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
By the way, the new patch for the beta of Godus that came out today just rebalanced the entire early game. This time it only took me 30 minutes to get settlements. The early tier buildings now give you belief when you release a new believer to build a house, and the amount of belief you get from clearing the environment seems to have been upped too.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Add American McGee and Richard Garriott to the list of box names that were forgotten.

I'd forgotten about them. :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

And I honestly think Kojima is overrated as gently caress, even though I've played and enjoyed all the metal gear solid games. He's batshit insane too. I guess batshit insane and playable and fun is better than boring, but its not exactly genius.

I'm not saying Kojima's a genius because of the quality of his games, I'm talking about it on the basis of how he approaches games. Here's how I see it: right now, games are still in their infancy. When film was at the same developmental stage games are now, movie directors approached their medium as theatre committed to film. Most game designers today generally think about games as essentially movies with interactivity. Kojima seems to get the fundamental nature of the interactivity, and how it creates compelling experiences. That's not to say he always makes great games, but he seems to "get it", as it were. theflyingorc's comparison of him to Molyneux is spot-on. I'd say that while Molyneux does "get it", he's too dumb to apply it correctly.

Zaphod42 posted:

Warren Spector used to be amazing but times have changed. I like Ken Levine's style a ton but I dunno if I'd call him a genius.

Carmack I would actually call a genius but he doesn't know the first thing about game design, just good programming.

I would personally put Spector in the "lucked into a good idea for a game" category, it's just that he was able to have a few good ideas. Ken Levine is a talented craftsman, but his work is pretty textbook games-as-playable-movies, he's just aware of the conventions of interactivity.

I considered mentioning Carmack in my post, but I didn't for exactly what you said: Carmack might just be the smartest man to ever work in video games, but he isn't a designer. I wouldn't say he doesn't know the first thing about design, though, since if Masters of Doom is anything to go by, he was the driving force behind Doom being so sleek and tightly focused in its design. Romero wanted to create a full-blown RPG, but Carmack convinced him that a more minimalist design would work better.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

DStecks posted:

Hey man the movies was a pretty cool game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Movies helped got me an A in a college literature class because it allowed me to adapt a Margaret Atwood story over a weekend, so I'll give Molyneux that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DStecks posted:

Most game designers today generally think about games as essentially movies with interactivity. Kojima seems to get the fundamental nature of the interactivity
Yes, I'm sure that's why he makes games that are 80% cutscene.