Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Spouse wants a music system for the living room and kitchen.

She currently uses a Nexus 4 phone plugged in via headphone output to those small circular mini speakers.

What solutions exist that you can plug phones and mp3 players into, and give decent sound ?

I'm thinking a 2.0 speaker system in the living room, and some type of wireless speakers in the kitchen.

Any ideas ? If it was JUST a 2.0 system, I'd do a simple 2 channel amp and either build or buy some speakers. However this needs functionality in 2 rooms.

Is there a low delay broadcaster to piggyback wireless speakers to ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gomiboy posted:

I think one of the ways you can solve this problem is to take inventory of your devices (consoles, DVD/blu-ray, etc.) and their output capabilities (HDMI, optical audio, component, etc.), and then find a receiver that will allow you to connect all of these devices (ideally HDMI?) and only output HDMI from the receiver to the TV. This way you bypass the TV's audio completely. HDMI-compatible receivers are pretty common these days and there are lots of reasonable options.

EDIT: Basically what you said already.

I have a Roku 3, a U-Verse wireless receiver, and a Chromecast all connected via HDMI, and a Toshiba Mini 3D sound bar connected via optical audio. All those are plugged directly into the TV.

If I get this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR31...=Onkyo+receiver and plug everything into it, that's all I'd need to do to bypass the TV's audio, thus removing the distortion issue? Also, is that a good receiver?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

Depends on your budget. If ~$150 for pair is ok, go for Klipsch. Reference Series R-1650-C for example is ok.

Those look pretty good. Have you heard the Martin Logan ML-60's by chance?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chizad posted:

I think you'll be alright. I've got a similar setup for my PC speakers. The amp is a Topping TP20-Mk2, and the speakers are Athena Audition AS-B1's (sucks that Klipsch bought them and killed off the brand, they made awesome stuff):

code:
Peak Power Handling	125 watt
Frequency Response	60 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance		8 ohm
Sensitivity		90 dB
If I'm sitting in front of them at my desk, between 1/4-1/3 volume is more than adequate for normal listening. If I really want to :rock:, I'll crank them up to about the halfway point, but I've never felt the need to go beyond that. (Besides, at least with my TP20, most of the gain seems to be in the first half of the dial, so beyond that you're kinda in diminishing returns territory.)

At either of those volume levels (or anywhere in between) I can clearly hear the music or whatever from anywhere in my ~700 sq ft apartment.

Thanks for that.

I suppose that there's no risk of damage by buying an underpowered amp - just insufficient volume (assuming I don't crank it up beyond 80% to where they may be potentially harmful distortion)?

OTOH, perhaps these nice speakers deserve a nice amp?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] Nevermind, my uncle is offloading a bunch of free poo poo to me instead. Sweet.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 5, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

spog posted:

I suppose that there's no risk of damage by buying an underpowered amp - just insufficient volume (assuming I don't crank it up beyond 80% to where they may be potentially harmful distortion)?

OTOH, perhaps these nice speakers deserve a nice amp?

Yes, an underpowered amp can cause distorsion and that is the easiest way to blow a speaker. Keep a careful ear out the first time you play it loud, and turn it down immediately if you hear any distorsion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok, never mind the stuff my uncle was going to give me. The receiver he was going to give me was old as hell and didn't have any HDMI ports.

What's a good receiver in the $200-$250 range? I plan on just buying a pair of bookshelf speakers to use with the receiver for now, either these Pioneer ones: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1 or some Klipsch Synergy B-20s. Not sure which yet though. Any help/direction would be appreciated.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes, an underpowered amp can cause distorsion and that is the easiest way to blow a speaker. Keep a careful ear out the first time you play it loud, and turn it down immediately if you hear any distorsion.

You know what: I just realised how stupid it is to scrimp on an amp for a £500 pair of speakers.

I'm looking at a Yamaha RXV373 5.1 Channel AV Receiver for £160
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-RXV373-5-1-Channel-Receiver/dp/B007W1Z9RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381083368&sr=8-1&keywords=v373

Should let me play decent music as well as home cinema.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have that receiver and love it. Since it's an entry model you do lose out on banana plug terminals for all speakers (it only has it for the L/R fronts) and some other features from the higher end models but once again for the price I was surprised by what you get. One thing I really liked about it is the OSD is actually decent. I have had a couple of Yamaha receivers throughout the years and they have been great quality and reliable.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Ok, never mind the stuff my uncle was going to give me. The receiver he was going to give me was old as hell and didn't have any HDMI ports.

What's a good receiver in the $200-$250 range? I plan on just buying a pair of bookshelf speakers to use with the receiver for now, either these Pioneer ones: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1 or some Klipsch Synergy B-20s. Not sure which yet though. Any help/direction would be appreciated.

I have the Pioneers and they are really good for the price...I like them a lot. As for the receiver, accessories4less.com has refurbished stuff that'll get you more for your money. I bought my onkyo 709 from there and was really happy with their selection and service.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gomiboy posted:

I have the Pioneers and they are really good for the price...I like them a lot. As for the receiver, accessories4less.com has refurbished stuff that'll get you more for your money. I bought my onkyo 709 from there and was really happy with their selection and service.

Thanks for the tip on the Pioneers. I'd prefer to get a receiver off Amazon, since I have a $75 gift card there that I haven't used yet. I'm not really looking anything for something feature rich, just something that will allow me to hook up 3 or 4 HDMI devices to it just so I can bypass my TV's audio (which has a distortion issue I mentioned here in another post). Don't need any networking capabilities, airplay, or anything like that.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
So I've settled on a Onkyo 515 and this set of 7.1 speakers. Does anyone have any opinions or better equipment to use before I order it in the next few days?

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Thanks for the tip on the Pioneers. I'd prefer to get a receiver off Amazon, since I have a $75 gift card there that I haven't used yet. I'm not really looking anything for something feature rich, just something that will allow me to hook up 3 or 4 HDMI devices to it just so I can bypass my TV's audio (which has a distortion issue I mentioned here in another post). Don't need any networking capabilities, airplay, or anything like that.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-151...1125545&sr=1-33
I would buy this in your situation. Not super fancy, but will get the job done. I buy stuff from amazon warehouse all the time, they are pretty good with their descriptions of the conditions of items. Repackaged means the item is like new condition, just in a different box. Onkyos and Pioneers are good too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gomiboy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-151...1125545&sr=1-33
I would buy this in your situation. Not super fancy, but will get the job done. I buy stuff from amazon warehouse all the time, they are pretty good with their descriptions of the conditions of items. Repackaged means the item is like new condition, just in a different box. Onkyos and Pioneers are good too.

Oh that looks good, well within my price range too. One HDMI port on the front is pretty nice also :)

I have a question though (forgive me because I'm really stupid with this stuff), but I read that the watt per channel is 75 for that Denon receiver. The Pioneer bookshelf speakers that I'm planning on getting (that you have) are rated for 80 watts, and the Pioneer center channel and subwoofer of that same model line are rated at 90 watts and 100 watts respectively (still debating on doing 3.1) - Does the higher watt rating mean there's some kind of debilitating factor with the receiver handling that kind of 3.1 setup?

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 7, 2013

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I had an Onkyo TX-NR509 that all of a sudden wouldn't do anything. I called support, they told me it'd get fixed with the Warranty repair.
However, UPS hosed the shipment, and since I didn't insure it in full ( ugh ), I only got a $110 check from UPS instead of my receiver fixed.

So, I'm looking for a new receiver under $300, with similar performance to the TX-NR509. I need 3 HDMI inputs, and I've got a 5.1 speaker setup. Network (DLNA or Airplay) would be nice but not a requirement. Any tips?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Alfajor posted:

I had an Onkyo TX-NR509 that all of a sudden wouldn't do anything. I called support, they told me it'd get fixed with the Warranty repair.
However, UPS hosed the shipment, and since I didn't insure it in full ( ugh ), I only got a $110 check from UPS instead of my receiver fixed.

So, I'm looking for a new receiver under $300, with similar performance to the TX-NR509. I need 3 HDMI inputs, and I've got a 5.1 speaker setup. Network (DLNA or Airplay) would be nice but not a requirement. Any tips?

The Onkyo 616 is currently on Amazon for just above $300. Two generations newer and a model level higher! My 309 just died within a few days of going over 2 the 2 year mark and I'm considering getting that one. The newest generation (525, 626, etc) haven't been around long enough for me to comfortably buy one. I think it's complete crap that they released the -09 series with a 2 year life expectancy.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
How is the x2x line different from the equivalent x1x line? I'll admit I'm new to this, but when I was looking at Onkyo receivers, I didn't see much of a reason to buy a newer model.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

spog posted:

I have a 5x4m room and a pair of KEF Q55s
code:
Peak Power Handling	150 watt
Frequency Response	40 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance		8 ohm
Sensitivity		91 dB
I don't want it loud (don't want to annoy the apartment below with a thumping bass), but do want it nice when I listen (possibly using an ipod as a source, or a PS3)

Will one of those tiny Leipei 2x20W have enough oomph to drive it at lower volumes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TA2020-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B007VMA6OU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_recspk_1

Make sure you get a 5W power adapter too, the stock one will cut out with heavy bass.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Onkyo 616 is currently on Amazon for just above $300. Two generations newer and a model level higher! My 309 just died within a few days of going over 2 the 2 year mark and I'm considering getting that one. The newest generation (525, 626, etc) haven't been around long enough for me to comfortably buy one. I think it's complete crap that they released the -09 series with a 2 year life expectancy.

Yeah, given that I took good care of it, I'm also looking at other brands. Kinda looking at this deal that Amazon has on a Pioneer VSX-8231 or even a model from last year like the VSX-822. Choices... choices...

jonastheed
Feb 14, 2007
boners > boobies
I was thinking about buying a soundbar but now I'm leaning towards a 3.1 system for my new apartment. I'd be plugging in Cable/DVD/XBox, and just need it to sounds good for music/movies/video games. My budget is around $400. I think my girlfriend would prefer bookshelf speakers but I could probably talk her into floor-standing ones if it'd be an improvement. I really have no idea what to look for and could use some pointers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jonastheed posted:

I was thinking about buying a soundbar but now I'm leaning towards a 3.1 system for my new apartment. I'd be plugging in Cable/DVD/XBox, and just need it to sounds good for music/movies/video games. My budget is around $400. I think my girlfriend would prefer bookshelf speakers but I could probably talk her into floor-standing ones if it'd be an improvement. I really have no idea what to look for and could use some pointers.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 3.1 system using Pioneer's Andrew Jones designed lineup - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Pioneer%20Andrew%20Jones so that might pique your interest and fit in your budget. I was also looking at maybe doing a Klipsch Synergy 3.1 setup, but that would cost a bit more.

I'm holding out on feedback for a couple receivers. Gomiboy suggested this Denon model for my use case (http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1513-Channel-Through-Receiver/dp/B007R8U5VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381250924&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+AVR-1513) which I think I can get Amazon to bring the price down to $199 brand new, but I'm also looking at this Pioneer one (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-8...oneer+vsx-822-k), which I think is last year's model? And this Onkyo model (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR31...=Onkyo+receiver).

I just don't how/what the differences between those 3 receivers would be (sans input options) when hooking them up to those Pioneer bookshelf speakers, center channel, and subwoofer since I have no idea what the wattage ratings dictate for both the speakers/subwoofer and the receiver, heh.

jonastheed
Feb 14, 2007
boners > boobies
I take it the front left and front right speakers are supposed to be the floor standing ones and not the bookshelves? How big of a difference would there be on those using the bookshelves for FR/FL instead? This would be in a system with the sub and center speaker also.

jonastheed fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 8, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jonastheed posted:

I take it the front left and front right speakers are supposed to be the floor standing ones and not the bookshelves? How big of a difference would there be on those using the bookshelves for FR/FL instead? This would be in a system with the sub and center speaker also.

The FR/FL can be either the floor standing or bookshelf speakers I think. Not sure how big a difference it would be since I haven't actually heard them in person. I'm planning on going to a Best Buy near me that has those Pioneer speakers and check them out.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I've been shopping around for a new receiver after mine broke and one thing I'm concerned about is this:

Are there receivers that are wifi/ios app enabled? Possibly with an IR blaster?

I'm really looking to hide all my system in my basement and just control everything through wifi. I do have a Harmony Link that lets me control stuff with my smart phone, but I'm thinking that receivers these days should have this integrated.

Is this a thing that I've just completely missed in my searching? Or do I need to wait longer for this to exist.

Just found a Yamaha which might have it: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=series Any opinions on this or possibly alternatives?

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 8, 2013

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MickRaider posted:

I've been shopping around for a new receiver after mine broke and one thing I'm concerned about is this:

Are there receivers that are wifi/ios app enabled? Possibly with an IR blaster?

I'm really looking to hide all my system in my basement and just control everything through wifi. I do have a Harmony Link that lets me control stuff with my smart phone, but I'm thinking that receivers these days should have this integrated.

Is this a thing that I've just completely missed in my searching? Or do I need to wait longer for this to exist.

Just found a Yamaha which might have it: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=series Any opinions on this or possibly alternatives?

Certainly is a thing and most of the major manufacturers are doing it. I'm looking at network enabled receivers myself and am kind of leaning toward Denon since I've always had Denon AVRs in the past.

I do not have any experience with the newer ones so hopefully someone that does will reply with info.

I specifically am wondering if you can control the zone 2 volume and source with an Android app on the newer receivers...

Edit: To answer my own question, it looks like you can. Also, I'm really looking hard at the Onkyo TX-NR616. Looks like very good bang for your buck. It doesn't have wifi but my audio and internet will be in the same closet so a wired connection is fine.

Anyone have experience with the Onkyo TX-NR616?

Edit 2: It sounds like the Denon AVR-E400 is $300 at Fry's if you have one local. I unfortunately do not or I'd probably pick one up.

Edit 3: Yamaha RX-V575 for $350 after you apply coupon yamaha150. Expires tomorrow.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/yamaha-...d=*7WaaTN6umc&&

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 8, 2013

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Oh that looks good, well within my price range too. One HDMI port on the front is pretty nice also :)

I have a question though (forgive me because I'm really stupid with this stuff), but I read that the watt per channel is 75 for that Denon receiver. The Pioneer bookshelf speakers that I'm planning on getting (that you have) are rated for 80 watts, and the Pioneer center channel and subwoofer of that same model line are rated at 90 watts and 100 watts respectively (still debating on doing 3.1) - Does the higher watt rating mean there's some kind of debilitating factor with the receiver handling that kind of 3.1 setup?

I would still go for the Denon at around that price range; the Onkyo and Pioneers are lower tier models for only a little bit cheaper. However, if amazon warehouse runs out of the repackaged Denons (under $225) I think you would be happy with either. Just look at inputs and wattage...but at $200 you'll find feature sets are similar.

I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers as a full 5.1 set (floors, center and bookshelf rears). I haven't heard the Energy set, but people say good stuff. I would get the Pioneers though, I like the flexibility of larger speakers. Those numbers on the speakers are the max watts they are rated for...exceed em and you run the significant risk of blowing the speakers. With any of the receivers you are looking at, you'll be fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gomiboy posted:

I would still go for the Denon at around that price range; the Onkyo and Pioneers are lower tier models for only a little bit cheaper. However, if amazon warehouse runs out of the repackaged Denons (under $225) I think you would be happy with either. Just look at inputs and wattage...but at $200 you'll find feature sets are similar.

I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers as a full 5.1 set (floors, center and bookshelf rears). I haven't heard the Energy set, but people say good stuff. I would get the Pioneers though, I like the flexibility of larger speakers. Those numbers on the speakers are the max watts they are rated for...exceed em and you run the significant risk of blowing the speakers. With any of the receivers you are looking at, you'll be fine.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it. Very helpful :) That Denon receiver you linked was $199 brand new a few days ago apparently. I'll see if I can woo over Amazon support like I have in the past :D

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

I went through this process a year ago...it would have been pretty tedious without this thread.

Edit: if you end up getting the floor standing pioneers and aren't looking to get a sub right now, I found they have better bass about a foot from the wall. They are really nice, but play with their placement while listening to some bass-heavy music and you'll find a huge difference.

Gomiboy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 9, 2013

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I am currently living in an apartment and want to buy a set of 5.1 speakers that will give me good performance at a reasonable price. I recently picked up a Denon AVR-400 receiver for a great deal and have it ready to go with a decent speaker set. Can anyone suggest an ideal 5.1 setup to piece together for sub-$1000?

EDIT: Apologies for not having read beyond the OP into the second post where speaker recommendations are made. I've looked at a few of those setups and am piecing together some ideas. Does anyone have thoughts on the Monoprice Preimium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System?

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
Bose Acoustimass 15 is on the higher end of your price spectrum but it could be worth looking into especially if you like minimalistic design.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

If you do a little research, Craigslist can get you some serious speaker for your money. For that $250 for the monoprice system you could pick and choose some really cool stuff. I picked up a vintage KEF 3.1 set, Pinnacle rears and a Mirage sub for less than that and it is really good! It does take a bit of legwork though. But from what I've heard the monoprice setup is decent (unless it's not an Energy clone any more.) Bose is OK, but kinda overpriced on what you get both on the new and used markets in my opinion.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jeratain posted:

Can anyone suggest an ideal 5.1 setup to piece together for sub-$1000?

A couple alternatives from Amazon:

Cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1...er+5.1+speakers

Pioneers:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS...ioneer+speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C2...ioneer+speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS...ioneer+speakers

With wires it totals to about ~$500. Add any sub you like.

I can't remember for certain if those Monoprice speakers are rebranded Energys anymore. If you don't feel like taking the chance, Energy speakers are only $50 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classi...ords=energy+5.1

Note: speakers are more like instruments than computers. Preference beats reference. Go to a hi-fi shop near you and listen to what's available.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Once again, Hob comes correct. Try to demo anything you are looking to buy...for example a lot of people like Klipsch speakers and they have a great rep, but I can't stand them. I like Cerwin Vegas a lot, but they aren't for everybody. Your own opinion is the best one.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Are monoprice speakers worth it at all?

I'm thinking about getting a set of: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=7607&seq=1&format=2 or http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=7604&seq=1&format=2 for Front and rear channels then http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083704&p_id=6317&seq=1&format=2 for the center

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just asked this over at avsforum in the thread for my specific Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver but I figured I'd ask here as well.

quote:

I just moved and had to set up my 1020-K again. I'm running a 3.1 setup currently and my question was in regards to the speaker configuration displayed on the front LCD on the left side. For some reason it's showing 7.1 speaker configuration even though it's only configured for 3.1. Is this something I can change or is it always going to show a 7.1 configuration? I'm just wondering if that's an indication that I have something setup incorrectly. I ran the auto-MCACC and it's still displaying the same.

The other thing I've never really been able to figure out is what surround mode I should be using for every-day movies & gaming. Maybe I'm too dumb to have a nice receiver but I'd love some kind of cheat-sheet that explains why I would want to use one surround-sound setting vs. another. I've read pages 57-58 in the manual but it still doesn't make a ton of sense. I have my PS3 input set to advanced game mode but I have no idea if that's ideal or not. For my record player I have it set to Stereo or Ext. Stereo typically. but beyond that I'm really not sure what would be ideal for movie watching using 3.1 speaker configuration.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Thanks for the input, everyone! I've ordered the following items. I have a friend who actually has the set of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers, and I like their sound. Doing some additional reading led me to see that the included sub isn't as great as it could be, so I opted for the cheaper PSW10 instead.

1x Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker
1x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers
2x Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker (each)
1x Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
1x SANUS SYSTEMS BF-31B Wood Speaker Stands

+ 16 Ga. wire and sub cable

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Jeratain posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone! I've ordered the following items. I have a friend who actually has the set of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers, and I like their sound. Doing some additional reading led me to see that the included sub isn't as great as it could be, so I opted for the cheaper PSW10 instead.

1x Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker
1x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers
2x Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker (each)
1x Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
1x SANUS SYSTEMS BF-31B Wood Speaker Stands

+ 16 Ga. wire and sub cable

I've been looking at this set as well, but I have room for a 7.1 setup. Would any of you guys just stick with the 5.1 list here, or add another pair of one of those speakers to make 7?

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

I have tried a 7.1 setup, but I didn't really see enough of a benefit to go out of my way to make it happen if I didn't have some extra speakers lying around to try it out. It really only works at higher volumes and if remember right if the source isn't encoded in 7.1 the extra speakers don't get real discrete audio channels.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
So I'm interested in using my audio system instead of my iPad speakers. I don't, however, have a music library that I can remote control and the main function would be to listen to Youtube/Spotify/podcasts. I have researched that a Bluetooth receiver for the audio system could work but apparently the audio quality is lacking. The other option seems to be to use Wi-Fi through the Apple Airport. Does anyone have a similar setup and/or recommendations on what the best way forward would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

I use the wireless feature on my Onkyo. Don't have Apple stuff or Roku or any of that. It's not sleek or streamlined, but I can control it from my Android phone with the Onkyo app, and it works surprisingly well. If you don't have any of that Apple stuff, a wireless or Bluetooth receiver would fit your needs.