Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kaiho posted:

Holy poo poo. It's lowest-common-denominator riffage and really just the chorus over and over again but I didn't hate it. And I will forever and forever say that I have never liked anything else Tarja Turunen has sung on.

This made me go back and listen to another guilty pleasure song feat. a different NW alumni. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBr4odsMOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dirt posted:

This is my profile.

Always looking for more friends to creep on their library for new bands.

PS other metal goons, feel free to add me.

That's pretty cool, but sadly I have an android phone :(

I think Pandora and Spotify should have Android apps and I've heard good things. The only reason I don't use them is they don't work in my country.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

This made me go back and listen to another guilty pleasure song feat. a different NW alumni. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBr4odsMOM

Oh jesus Pain. I'd happily forgotten the time I had to endure them doing Eleanor Rigby live.

Houseplant posted:

Turisas - Ten More Miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhgsqSBHA6M

I don't even know anymore with this band. The video itself is definitely interesting, but the music is just ridiculous.

This has to be a joke. Holy crap what a way to fall apart in 2 records after a great sophomore album.

My music profile is stunted due to a lot of my listening being on non-Last.fm devices and often not metal either. But yeah, there it is. Add me if you want.

edit: Aww looky at all dem 30 year old metalhead friend requests, I feel right at home :3:

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 3, 2013

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Didn't realize Kalmah made a new album, goddamn it's awesome.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think Pandora and Spotify should have Android apps and I've heard good things. The only reason I don't use them is they don't work in my country.

I always forget to connect Spotify to last.fm when I reinstall it. Anyhow -

last.fm
Spotify

Most of my tracked listening lately is stuff that's <2 months from release because I made the mistake of trying to keep up with too much.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Spotify will also create radio stations based on whatever artist you pick. Songs from that artist, related bands, similar sounding bands and other stuff in the same genre. It's a pretty cool way to get introduced to different genres.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Seditiar posted:

Didn't realize Kalmah made a new album, goddamn it's awesome.

This album is excellent and Kalmah are excellent. It's the best album they've done since The Black Waltz.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The new Shining (from Sweden) album, 8½ – Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd is pretty awesome. It's a lot more bleak black metal and less Kvarforth crying over acoustic guitars.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So checking who is opening for GWAR I fell upon this band...

a LITERAL band of orcs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4LtCCswlWk

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I know people have probably been raving about it enough already but daaaaaamn the Grave Miasma album is awesome. I find that the older I get, the more I'm interested in bands that play music that's comprised of more that one subgenre (black/doom, prog/death, doom/death/black, and death/doom in particular) and these guys don't disappoint in the slightest. As a big fan of Incantation and some of the current bands carrying on/expanding on their influence (Disma specifically), this is near-perfection. The vocals are something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxht_NzTd8I

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Optimum Gulps posted:

I know people have probably been raving about it enough already but daaaaaamn the Grave Miasma album is awesome. I find that the older I get, the more I'm interested in bands that play music that's comprised of more that one subgenre (black/doom, prog/death, doom/death/black, and death/doom in particular) and these guys don't disappoint in the slightest. As a big fan of Incantation and some of the current bands carrying on/expanding on their influence (Disma specifically), this is near-perfection. The vocals are something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxht_NzTd8I

They've split up now, but definitely check out Cruciamentum if you haven't already. Until this new album, I always preferred them over Grave Miasma (they share members). So many riffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AhnOwubnA. They said they would release one final EP, so I hope that is still coming out. I haven't heard any updates for a while though.

On the subject of awesome death metal, are there any other bands that sound like Bölzer? I checked them out because I heard a lot of good things, and they're one of the first DM bands I've heard in a while where I can't immediately place who else they sound like. It's pretty melodic, but I definitely wouldn't class it as melodeath. Maybe I've just slept on whoever influenced them? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkP4WS8Y_Y

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They don't sound like anyone else, that's the appeal!

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price

nomapple posted:

They've split up now, but definitely check out Cruciamentum if you haven't already. Until this new album, I always preferred them over Grave Miasma (they share members). So many riffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AhnOwubnA. They said they would release one final EP, so I hope that is still coming out. I haven't heard any updates for a while though.

That farewell tour actually turned into an LP, pretty sure they're not splitting up after the response they got on their tour.

I don't even know anymore with that band. They played 2 new songs at MDF and those were their best ones, definitely a top band at MDF. Really hope they aren't splitting up, however, they rule too much.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Cruciamentum's status is pretty much defined by geography and basically, whether D.L. sees it as worth his time to continue with it. The EP is now going to be an LP, as Shamed said, and I think they've reconsidered splitting, but absolutely nothing is definite.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
New tape from Ihsahn coming out soon, here is a track:

https://soundcloud.com/candlelight-records/hiber-1

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Just heard about this band, Hideous Divinity.. this is some awesome new tech death. Their first album "Obeisance Rising" is a concept based off the movie "They Live"

listen to the whole album here

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

They don't sound like anyone else, that's the appeal!

:black101: This is so rare with death metal at the moment it seems. Aura is an awesome release, I can't wait to hear more.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Cruciamentum's status is pretty much defined by geography and basically, whether D.L. sees it as worth his time to continue with it. The EP is now going to be an LP, as Shamed said, and I think they've reconsidered splitting, but absolutely nothing is definite.

Great news about the LP, I hope it's as consistently awesome as their EPs were.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Defiant Sally posted:

Really digging this.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Defiant Sally posted:

Hello Dream Theater vibe.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Defiant Sally posted:

I've been waiting twenty years for someone to cover the ghost house music from Super Mario World

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Houseplant posted:

Turisas - Ten More Miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhgsqSBHA6M

I don't even know anymore with this band. The video itself is definitely interesting, but the music is just ridiculous.

This is hilarious and amazing and so is the rest of Turisas2013. :colbert: I'm pretty sure Turisas have stopped giving a gently caress about conforming to genre and are making comedy music to score their pub crawls. Which I am cool with, as long as they keep playing Sahti Waari at live shows.

edit: here's a pretty long interview with Mathias about the album.

On another note, I cannot stop listening to Falls of Rauros. I'm so sad my record player is busted, I really wanted one of their vinyls.

edrith fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 7, 2013

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Kind of several pages late but:

Varg posted:

yeah, pretty much like that. but I was even closer :D

Was this at the Kansas City show? His clothes, and the set art and placement all are the same as the KC show, and if so, well poo poo you were like maybe 5 feet to my left.
Ug, Next time I do a thing like this, I'll put out feelers in this thread.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

So, Gojira's performance at Hellfest 2013 is streaming on their website for the next week. Fun stuff.

http://www.gojira-music.com/news/item/169-hellfest-2013-streaming-on-arte-live-web

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Just got back from seeing Finntroll, supported by Tyr and Skalmold. I am completely covered in beer and sweat, but loving hell Finntoll put on a good show. Such energy and a great party atmosphere with their oompah, kazoo brand of mischievous metal complete with bowler hats and fake ears. I caught the drummer's stick and some fucker grabbed it out of my hand and disappeared. Bad form.

Skalmold were really good, never heard of them before but they were having a ton of fun. Tyr, were ok but didn't really seem to have the same energy.

Long story short, if you ever get the chance to see Finntroll in a club venue, do it.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Xenochrist posted:

So, Gojira's performance at Hellfest 2013 is streaming on their website for the next week. Fun stuff.

http://www.gojira-music.com/news/item/169-hellfest-2013-streaming-on-arte-live-web

I've only seen them once and it was in a small venue, but it looks like they still but on a good show.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I went to a RANGER show last night and they were phenomenal. Easily the best retro speed/thrash act around.

https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/ranger-ranger

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Yeah, gonna see them at Live Evil in just over a week. Midnight and Ranger in the same day... speed overload.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The two Ranger songs I've heard are loving fantastic, now if only they'd release an album in something else than vinyl so I could actually listen to it, it would be grand.

In other news, god drat loving White Wizzard, man:

White Wizzard's Facebook Page posted:

White Wizzard want to release a brief statement on singer Joseph Michael. Last night in Cardiff Wales, Joseph Michael left a crowd of fans sitting in the venue waiting to see White Wizzard, sat in a pub across the street and refused to perform the show for extremely selfish reasons. The band soldiered on with Peter Ellis and Jon Leon handling vocals. It was hugely unprofessional on his part. Due to these actions, we have secured another singer for mainland europe named Giles Lavery. Sadly, due to this any many other problems over the past several months, it is without question we must move on and immediately make a change. Joseph is making very false and erroneous claims on his facebook site unfortunately about Jon and the band, but without getting into a war of words we will just simply say he is lying and making a desperate attempt to hurt the band and Jon to cover up his very unprofessional actions. The rest of us are determined to move on, and we all assure you we are united and everything is fine within the rest of the group. We will do our best to move on. See ya out there! Thanks for all the fans support last night and beyond.
He was a fantastic singer and his voice fit the band perfectly, why he gotta pull that kinda poo poo? :argh:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

m-o-o-n posted:

I went to a RANGER show last night and they were phenomenal. Easily the best retro speed/thrash act around.

https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/ranger-ranger

That album art fuckn rules.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Nordick posted:

He was a fantastic singer and his voice fit the band perfectly, why he gotta pull that kinda poo poo? :argh:

Nice to see the Axl routine is still alive and well. Nothing beats the classics.

Too bad for him he's not as hard to replace as Axl was.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My short review of last nights GWAR show.

Band of Orcs - a literal band of orcs, guys dressed up with expensive orc masks and neck pieces singing death metal, great energy, solid band

Iron Reagan - thought it was just some punk oi poo poo turns out it's a side project for Municipal Waste frontman Tony, solid thrash, funny drummer, great set

White Chapel - bro-metal to the nth degree, embarrassing bass drops, synchronized loving "chuggas", technically it's all good, they can play but the genre and poo poo they represent is garbage

GWAR - titty monster with a vagina mouth gets hosed by the lead singer who proceeds to jizz blue cum on the crowd and then the monster gets it's face and chest ripped off to spray blood on the audience. nuff said.

edit: late add --> GWAR-BQ SAUCE

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 7, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Vintersorg posted:

Iron Reagan - thought it was just some punk oi poo poo turns out it's a side project for Municipal Waste frontman Tony, solid thrash, funny drummer, great set

White Chapel - bro-metal to the nth degree, embarrassing bass drops, synchronized loving "chuggas", technically it's all good, they can play but the genre and poo poo they represent is garbage

Iron Reagan's drummer Ryan was also in Darkest Hour on every album they've put out so far, and their bassist Paul was on all but the first - they're awesome and talented dudes all around who bring a lot of energy into a band.

Whitechapel sure plays their brutal brodowns tight as gently caress live. Punchdafuckup muthafucka!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Morbid Florist posted:

Nice to see the Axl routine is still alive and well. Nothing beats the classics.

Aaaand now they had to cancel the rest of their tour with Monument because of all the Spinal Tap bullshit. Really sucks for the fans who were going to attend.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So, a couple years ago I see that Nachtmystium's Blake Judd is trying to raise funds for their next album (this was right before they recorded "Silencing Machine"). I emailed back and forth with Blake and he was going to sell me a couple limited pressing LPs for $50. I paypalled him, and gave it a few weeks. Emailed him to check up. Nothing. Emailed him a month later, no response. Emailed him a couple months later, no response.

Flash forward to today, I see that he's been arrested on theft charges because he's been doing that poo poo to tons of people, along with stealing from bandmates, allegedly stealing a guitar from a band they played with, even supposedly forging contractual documents so that he can steal royalty money. The guys who run HHB and NWN! even posted about sending him hundreds of dollars to buy CDs from him - both guys trying to buy the same CDs, neither of them getting anything! (Granted: I don't know what exactly he's being charged with in this case, that's just other stuff I've heard through the grapevine.)

Mugshot:

I guess I should have know better than to send money to a well-known heroin and cocaine addict. Whatever, I'm surprised nobody's beaten the poo poo out of him yet. Dickhead.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 8, 2013

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
This rules: Avatarium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWuGTYiQs8U

There's some stoner and doom in there, and a loving amazing vocalist.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
The new Castevet album is streaming in its entirety here and it's awesome. One hell of a followup to Mounds of Ash.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

This rules: Avatarium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWuGTYiQs8U

There's some stoner and doom in there, and a loving amazing vocalist.

The Moonhorse single is on Spotify. Took a listen to it. Had to stop halfway through their self-indulgent cover of War Pigs. I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on the vocalist. :(

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Kaiho posted:

The Moonhorse single is on Spotify. Took a listen to it. Had to stop halfway through their self-indulgent cover of War Pigs. I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on the vocalist. :(

Yeah this starts out alright and suddenly turns into yet another Nuclear Blast band

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I dug it, but I'm admittedly a complete sucker for doomy bands with chick singers. The Black Sabbath + Adele vibe they have going on in that song is right in my wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

QPZIL posted:

So, a couple years ago I see that Nachtmystium's Blake Judd is trying to raise funds for their next album (this was right before they recorded "Silencing Machine"). I emailed back and forth with Blake and he was going to sell me a couple limited pressing LPs for $50. I paypalled him, and gave it a few weeks. Emailed him to check up. Nothing. Emailed him a month later, no response. Emailed him a couple months later, no response.

Flash forward to today, I see that he's been arrested on theft charges because he's been doing that poo poo to tons of people, along with stealing from bandmates, allegedly stealing a guitar from a band they played with, even supposedly forging contractual documents so that he can steal royalty money. The guys who run HHB and NWN! even posted about sending him hundreds of dollars to buy CDs from him - both guys trying to buy the same CDs, neither of them getting anything! (Granted: I don't know what exactly he's being charged with in this case, that's just other stuff I've heard through the grapevine.)

Mugshot:

I guess I should have know better than to send money to a well-known heroin and cocaine addict. Whatever, I'm surprised nobody's beaten the poo poo out of him yet. Dickhead.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :)

Jesus Christ. I like Nachtmystium, but I had no loving idea Blake was pulling this poo poo. That's a really scummy thing to do.

I've got no sympathy for that dude.