Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Then two foggy winter eves

The Public votes to say:

"O.B. with your prose so bright

‘Won’t you guide us through the night?"

So the public vote needed O.B. because of his poetry during a foggy night? What the hell does that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zybourne Clock posted:

If you've spilled so many drinks during the course of your lifetime that a large plastic cupholder for your house looks like a sensible investment, you may want to consider buying a sippy cup instead.

That would be nice for picnics or by the lake actually. Too bad it's on Indiegogo with flexible funding.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Didn't he recently use Kickstarter to fund his new game? I would have thought he would have folded this minor project into that, and perhaps get more publicity for the book that way.

Doug is a cartoon old man who doesn't understand the modern world, and if he didn't spend most of his time at a microphone or twitter or email being the most terrible social conservative he can be it'd be adorable.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Shwqa posted:

So the public vote needed O.B. because of his poetry during a foggy night? What the hell does that even mean?

No, his prose. Which has to be better than his poetry, because that's just poo poo.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Why are they using a mii for the picture?

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
The lady behind the Rudolf atrocity is actually that crazy lady who comes in and gives the lectures everyone hates in elementary schools. (She wears a banana hat because its wacky you see)

Ana O. Cooper posted:

Ana “Banana” Cooper is a Let’s Move!-inspired independent contractor, School Champion and Facilitator for LetsMove.gov. The Let’s Move! initiative is America’s Move to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids. Since you can’t take kids from cola to carrot juice in one leap, that’s where Ana Banana comes in. She’s the “Teacher in the Tutti-Frutti Hat” with a fun, lighthearted musical approach. Her upbeat songs with positive messages about a healthy lifestyle help to dissolve any objections students may have about trying something new.

She is the kind of woman kids take one look at and groan. They know that they are in for an hour of 'funny' 'motivational' parody songs. I can't actually believe this woman's job is writing music, even if its for kids. That song makes absolutely no sense, and I have to wonder why you would put a politically divisive message into a children's rhyme anyway. Its not like the message of the original had lost any of its meaning.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In recent :regd08: news, massive videogame publisher/media corporation Square-Enix is dipping its toes into crowdfunding.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a classic children's song with a charming message of growth, change and self-esteem. The rendition I wrote (parody) makes it relevant for the current times and every season of the year.
This is not a parody. This is a parody like "Epic Movie" is a parody. This is a parody like a smudged photocopy is a parody.

quote:

O.B. the Dark-Skinned Reindeer
Had a very shiny prose
And if you ever heard him
You would even say it glows
"Had a very shiny prose"?

quote:

Some of the other reindeer
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor O.B.
Join in their political games
Your meter is all hosed up on that last line.

Also why the hell do you need $5000 to make a lovely YouTube music video?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Is the reindeer Barack Obama?

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Yes, because we need more teenage Final Fantasy fanboys posting their MS-paint Sephiroph rip-offs.

Actually yes, I fully support this. There is no way this won't supply us with plenty of new material.

To contribute some:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761823488/act-right-clothing
This man was tired of boring T-shirts, so he decided to make 3 shirts that were purposefully offensive. That seems to be the whole reason here. Now you can own T-shirts with cartoon portraits of famous gunshot victims 2Pac, Abe Lincoln and Kurt Cobain. Complete with red splatters! Classy!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/716251988/utah-bigfoot-investigation-provo-canyon-bigfoot-en
A man who was referred to on the news as 'beard card' (No beard) wants 30 grand to go with his family to catch the bigfoot they caught grainy footage of a year ago. If you give them $1000 they will take you to the place they saw the blur! For $2000 you can hang out with them. They hope to make a documentary about local bigfoot sightings. They will even host a town hall meeting about them bigfeets.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrAptronym posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/716251988/utah-bigfoot-investigation-provo-canyon-bigfoot-en
A man who was referred to on the news as 'beard card' (No beard) wants 30 grand to go with his family to catch the bigfoot they caught grainy footage of a year ago. If you give them $1000 they will take you to the place they saw the blur! For $2000 you can hang out with them. They hope to make a documentary about local bigfoot sightings. They will even host a town hall meeting about them bigfeets.

Ah ha ha ha, they caught a glimpse of a bear behind some bushes now they want to dedicate their lives to travelling around the country as a "quick response" cryptozoology investigation crew like the Scooby Doo gang.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

With Indiegogo.

Has anything of value ever actually come out of an Indiegogo project?

poo poo, has anything ever come out of an Indiegogo project?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TetsuoTW posted:

With Indiegogo.

I've seen a decent webcomic print drive done on Indygogo. Fixed funding of course. I think it was because kickstarter wasn't available in the authors country though (Sweden/Finland)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

TetsuoTW posted:

With Indiegogo.

Well has Square done anything worthwhile in the last say, 5 years? I might be generous here.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
A couple of people I know have used Indiegogo flexible funding to do community fund drives after major sports injuries.

I've never witnessed an actual project come out of it, though.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Really, IndieGoGo? Really? You have no problem whatsoever with this 'make money quick' scheme on your website? I suppose the princely sum of $5.05 in earnings is enough to offset IGG's perceived status as a shittier, scammier version of KickStarter.

Look at this amazing new battery pack I invented! It can charge your phone/tablet/laptop more times than any other competing product on the market. So what do they need the five million dollars for? Well actually, the battery packs have yet to be developed. They're going to use that money for R&D purposes. Yes, it's a flexible funding campaign.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

Really, IndieGoGo? Really? You have no problem whatsoever with this 'make money quick' scheme on your website? I suppose the princely sum of $5.05 in earnings is enough to offset IGG's perceived status as a shittier, scammier version of KickStarter.
There's something about an obvious scam using fixed rather than flexible funding that tickles me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TetsuoTW posted:

There's something about an obvious scam using fixed rather than flexible funding that tickles me.

Well, he's not going to give his secret away for free.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Morglon posted:

Well has Square done anything worthwhile in the last say, 5 years? I might be generous here.

They bought Eidos and published the Tomb Raider reboot, Sleeping Dogs, and Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Which brings us to another thing about that Square Enix crowdfunding scheme. All the franchise they are allowing people to use are Eidos properties. Nothing the Japanese portion of Square. I read somewhere that they are also not allowing you to use IPs with a more recent entry like Tomb Raider or Deus Ex.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

"Had a very shiny prose"?

Your meter is all hosed up on that last line.

She is pushing the boundaries of the English language. You wouldn't understand.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

For legal reasons, no. It is just a black political figure called O.B. who used his shiny prose because we had 2 foggy Christmas nights.

Morglon posted:

The world ends with you is one of the best RPGs in a long time. :colbert:

Shwqa has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Oct 9, 2013

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761823488/act-right-clothing
This man was tired of boring T-shirts, so he decided to make 3 shirts that were purposefully offensive. That seems to be the whole reason here. Now you can own T-shirts with cartoon portraits of famous gunshot victims 2Pac, Abe Lincoln and Kurt Cobain. Complete with red splatters! Classy!

The thing that infuriates me the most about this is that they had the attention to detail to change kurt's blood splatter to a shotgun blast out the back of the head but they didn't seem to care where tupac was shot. I don't know why that's the thing that infuriates me the most, probably just because my brain is trying to protect me from getting angry about everything else by getting angry at this thing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Fatkraken posted:

No, he's technically Obama Barack because calling the poem "B.O. the Dark-Skinned Reindeer" might seem a little off-message.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Shwqa posted:

For legal reasons, no. It is just a black political figure called O.B. who used his shiny prose because we had 2 foggy Christmas nights.

It's an animated tampon, you idiots.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

TetsuoTW posted:

With Indiegogo.

The Skullgirls Indiegogo did pretty well.

But yeah, projects with their head on straight only resort to Indiegogo if they got no other choice. The Paypal debacle sure didn't help.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I might be missing the point here, but "written with the intent of going viral" seems pretty off base. Isn't that just "I WANT THIS TO BE POPULAR?" Or is it settling in with other KS bullshit and dumping buzzwords in hopes that morons with more money than sense will toss cash at her.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

The Skullgirls Indiegogo did pretty well.

But yeah, projects with their head on straight only resort to Indiegogo if they got no other choice. The Paypal debacle sure didn't help.

Was DNA Twister Gender Bender Extreme on Indiegogo? That atrocity made a ton of cash for a furry Ren'Py VN.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Morglon posted:

They're making a loving killing as a publisher. They still poo poo out a DQ or FF game every few years, but they published Just Cause 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, new Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief, Nier...

They are doing fairly well and have pretty much grown past being a company that makes RPGs.

end: oops, thought I edited this in.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Zybourne Clock posted:

Look at this amazing new battery pack I invented! It can charge your phone/tablet/laptop more times than any other competing product on the market. So what do they need the five million dollars for? Well actually, the battery packs have yet to be developed. They're going to use that money for R&D purposes. Yes, it's a flexible funding campaign.

And if they had really already done the true R&D they say they have, a ton of companies would be throwing money at them for the rights to the patents for this.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Toffile posted:

They're making a loving killing as a publisher. They still poo poo out a DQ or FF game every few years, but they published Just Cause 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, new Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief, Nier...

They are doing fairly well and have pretty much grown past being a company that makes RPGs.

end: oops, thought I edited this in.

The main problem with Square is their financials. They've released games that have done really well (Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, etc) but Squeenix was hoping they would be like Call of Duty level blockbusters to get them out of the hole they're in.

Anyway for some Awful Kickstarter content:

TRUST NOBODY "THE MOVIE"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1131928950/trust-nobody-the-movie

quote:

BRICKS IS A YOUNG HUSTLER THAT HAS BEEN RELEASE FROM JAIL AFTER 4 YEARS AND IS TRYING TO GET BACK ON TOP WHERE HE LEFT.

This basically really makes me want to kickstart a Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden movie.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

orphean posted:

Anyway for some Awful Kickstarter content:

TRUST NOBODY "THE MOVIE"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1131928950/trust-nobody-the-movie

This basically really makes me want to kickstart a Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden movie.

Look at the risks and challenges. He hasn't even written the script yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I like how the risks and challenge portion of any kickstarter will weed out the lovely ones because it's so obvious they haven't given their project an ounce of serious thought.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

DStecks posted:

Look at the risks and challenges. He hasn't even written the script yet.

If you watch the video I guess it's a novel he needs a screenplay for? Because writing movie adaptations of novels is just copy and pasting all the dialog right guys? Right?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

orphean posted:

I would back this :staredog:

You need to get enough money to get Dikembe Mutombo on film, regretting his hubris as the Chaos Dunk engulfs him, though.

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Oct 9, 2013

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

deadly_pudding posted:

I would back this :staredog:

You need to get enough money to get Dikembe Mutombo on film, regretting his hubris as the Chaos Dunk engulfs him, though.

Add Air-Bud and I'm in.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JDM3 posted:

Add Air-Bud and I'm in.

Please, we all know a Barkley movie would also need Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Bill Cosby, and Ivory Latta at the very least. :colbert:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

TetsuoTW posted:

With Indiegogo.

Jaybird was an Indiegogo project, and I haven't heard anything but good things about it, even though it was flexible funding (it made its goal, barely):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3424156

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sefer posted:

Jaybird was an Indiegogo project, and I haven't heard anything but good things about it, even though it was flexible funding (it made its goal, barely):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3424156

As was said before, Klaivu used Indiegogo because Kickstarter wasn't an option in Finland. And practically every aspect of Jaybird's creation was extensively documented on SA, so it was hardly your typical flex-funding Indiegogo project.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Toffile posted:

Was DNA Twister Gender Bender Extreme on Indiegogo? That atrocity made a ton of cash for a furry Ren'Py VN.

At first I thought it was one of those Offbeatr projects but nope, IGG all the way to shitville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Protocol7 posted:

I might be missing the point here, but "written with the intent of going viral" seems pretty off base. Isn't that just "I WANT THIS TO BE POPULAR?" Or is it settling in with other KS bullshit and dumping buzzwords in hopes that morons with more money than sense will toss cash at her.

She has no idea how or why things go viral but she's aware that it's a thing and she honestly feels that her dumb idea is simply the peachiest keenest thing ever so how can people not go crazy over it?

She reminds me of the projects we keep finding where people designed a boardgame 15 years ago and have dedicated their lives to trying to get it published and into shops and ended up bankrupted and confused. "B-b-but I had it all planned out! I just don't understand why no one wants to play my game, it's the best game in the whole world!"