Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Yeah the US was a strategic backwater compared to all the trouble Napoleon was causing in Europe which is probably the main reason why the US didn't get crushed.

I imagine 1812 would have ended up like the Opium wars had Britain actually had nothing else on their plate at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

radical meme posted:

If you listen to the live stream of Mark Levin's radio show from his website, they play a string of Levin's greatest hits during local radio commercial breaks and one of them is him stating that before FDR it was easy to find and pay for a private doctor of your choosing but you can't do that now. The guy really wants to turn back the clock to the gilded age.

There's a reason why it's called "The Gilded Age". Gold paint on top, poo poo underneath. Of course conservatives only see the gold paint.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

^^^ Rich people had it loving great back then, and I am a rich person today so therefore

radical meme posted:

If you listen to the live stream of Mark Levin's radio show from his website, they play a string of Levin's greatest hits during local radio commercial breaks and one of them is him stating that before FDR it was easy to find and pay for a private doctor of your choosing but you can't do that now. The guy really wants to turn back the clock to the gilded age.

He just doesn't even pretend to acknowledge the situation the poor and working class were in back then, does he?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

I imagine 1812 would have ended up like the Opium wars had Britain actually had nothing else on their plate at the time.

Even with fairly limited military resources Britain was also able to devastate the US economy by cutting off trade and could easily just have starved out the whole country in a longer term conflict.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

^^^ Rich people had it loving great back then, and I am a rich person today so therefore

He just doesn't even pretend to acknowledge the situation the poor and working class were in back then, does he?

It was easier then than ever to strike it rich. Just go panning for gold in Californee, or open up a homestead on free land taken by the government from the Injuns anywhere in the midwest. The working poor of the cities were just a bunch of foreign layabouts who lacked the true American adventuring spirit.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crasscrab posted:

Also don't read Eric Schlosser's new book Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety, which covers the many nuclear weapons related accidents that occurred during the Cold War and since then. If you're into that sort of thing like I am it's a really great read. Talks about all the times planes carrying nuclear bombs have crashed, the times we misplaced nuclear warheads, and how we gave nuclear weapons to NATO allies that looking back was not a very good idea.

I saw Schlosser when he was in Houston recently and KPFT is playing a recording of the speech tonight, if anyone wants to hear it. Podcast should be up soon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

I saw Schlosser when he was in Houston recently and KPFT is playing a recording of the speech tonight, if anyone wants to hear it. Podcast should be up soon.

It's a great book showing how the world came close to disaster so many times and only seemed to survive on pure luck for things such as the Carolinas almost getting two new big craters.

Or the story how a single dropped hex wrench endied up destroying a multi-million dollar nuke silo in a spectacular fashion.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

I was just listening to Levin and he made quite the interesting claim, one that's germane to the "Gilded Age" talk above. He was arguing with a caller about regulations, the minimum wage, etc. claiming that America had been economically ascendant before those regs and the dreaded "New Deal" came along. His finishing blow? He asked something like: How did America create such a powerful middle class before the New Deal came along and ruined it? Haha.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

He has some decent views and some not so decent views, which I feel puts him in the range of "normal sane person." He's about as close to a sensible conservative as you're going to get in modern politics. He's exponentially more intelligent than the gibbering apes currently running the Republican Party.

It should be noted that he bought into the skewed polls, energized base, Mitt Romney is on a sure path to victory stuff in a big way, so he's not someone who's analysis I'd put a lot of faith in. Though that describes huge swathes of conservative pundits, so it's not like he's alone.

etalian posted:

Even with fairly limited military resources Britain was also able to devastate the US economy by cutting off trade and could easily just have starved out the whole country in a longer term conflict.

Of course the British merchant class was already loudly complaining about the economic burden that the loss of American trade and the work of American privateers were inflicting. An attempted victory through an even more drawn out blockade would have stood a strong chance of political failure. In both the American Revolution and the War in 1812 the political and economic realities of sending the full force of the British Army across the Atlantic in the Age of Sail meant that outright crushing the Americans was infeasible, and the alternative of fighting a protracted war for questionable gain was also fairly unpalatable to many British business and political figures.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FMguru posted:

A bloodsoaked neocon warmonger, curdled and bitter with a lump of dogshit for a heart, his columns are always on the verge of referring to the President as "boy".

He is, however, smarter than a tree, which puts him in the top 10% of all Conservative commentators.
Dude looks like Dr. Chilton from Silence of the Lambs, too. The pool-diving incident gives him a lot of street cred as clever, though I should probably be dead by the same metric, so I shouldn't make fun.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Dumb question, what is the goon consensus on Charles Krauthammer?

He seems to come off as rather intelligent in the points he was making on Jon Stewart, and seemed to somewhat disown the "Ted Cruz/Tea Party" brand of lunacy.

Understand that when many of these ultra rightwingers go on talk shows that aren't propaganda arms of the GOP, especially if they're mainstream entertainment shows, they deliberately moderate themselves. If you want to know where they really stand, watch them when they're in sympathetic company, with their guards down.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Dude looks like Dr. Chilton from Silence of the Lambs, too. The pool-diving incident gives him a lot of street cred as clever, though I should probably be dead by the same metric, so I shouldn't make fun.

I just thought it's why he suddenly went from promising med student to nutbar.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Now, according to CBS MarketWatch, the regime will delay enforcement of the personal mandate extending how long Americans may go uninsured before facing a penalty under --" all of this is moot now. If you do not get a tax refund, all this is moot. Senate Democrats, Dana Bash, CNN, we got it coming up with the audio sound bites. Senate Democrats up for reelection unanimously want to delay the individual mandate 'til January 2015, after the election. Yes. You heard right. They want to delay the individual mandate.

Now, just last week, folks, Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, me, anybody suggesting that the individual mandate be delayed, to be fair with the corporate mandate, what were we called? Terrorists, the equivalent of the KKK, racist, crazy, extremist kooks, mean-spirited hatemongers. Bomb throwers. Hostage takers. Extortionists. Nazis. Just last week, those of us who reasonably said to the president, who said he's willing to listen to all offers, "Well, since the employer mandate's been delayed for a year, let's even things out, let's delay the individual mandate for a year."

You're extortionists. You're hostage-taking. I'm not gonna sit here and negotiate with ransom demands, Obama said. One week later, when elected Democrats up for reelection want to do it, now we're going to do it for the American people. (interruption) Oh, what do I mean by Obama's so incompetent he can't -- well, that's easy. Let me 'splain this to you. We all know, and this is further evidence today. We all know. (interruption) Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've got sound bites from the hearings. Just sit tight. I'm in the middle of something. Jeez. Folks, I'm really trying to stay focused for you. I am so excited to tell you things, and others are excited to hear me say things, that they want it now. But I gotta say it when I'm ready.

This is up tap now. We've all known that this thing's designed to fail, to implode, to just create mass chaos and confusion, so as to facilitate what? Single payer. So much chaos. Part and parcel of this you've got to take the private sector insurance industry out so that they are not an option when this thing bombs out, and that's being done. The point of my monologue yesterday was we've got an entire industry now which, by way of deceit and lies, has been savaged, they are canceling. Just two outfits cancels 460,000 policies in one week and the news isn't talking about that. They're talking about the hearings and stuff today. We're not gonna let that go.

But the fact is, in order to get to single payer, you have to remove all other options at the same time you're having Obamacare fail. And when Obamacare fails, it has to fail -- and this is where Obama's screwing up. And I love it. I love it. The whole idea is for the system to fail, not to work so that the left can come in and say, "Single payer, single payer. Here's the fix, let's just everybody go to the government. That's it, the government will take care of everything. We'll get the insurance companies out of this, and we'll get the states out of it, and we'll get the exchanges out of it, and we'll just go single payer. Let's let the government do it after all the other options have been eliminated."

Now, to pull that off, what do you need? You have to design the failure. Now, some of you might think something like this, this big, this encompassing, will fail on its own, and, yeah, it probably would. But you still have to have hands-on on the failure because you've gotta make sure that when it fails, the right people get blamed. And this is what Obama can't even do. You have to competently, in an evil mastermind kind of way, design the failure so that it looks like it's the fault of who? The insurance companies, the hospitals, the doctors, the pharmacies, and of course the Republicans. Everybody except government.

Everybody but government must be blamed for it not working if government's going to be the solution. But Obama is apparently too incompetent to even do that. Obama has managed both -- (laughing) sorry to laugh. I know it's not, at the end of the day, funny. Obama has managed to design -- (laughing) -- pardon me. Sniffles now. Not crying; I'm mirthful here. Obama has designed a total bomb of a system. And at the same time -- (laughing) -- he's done it in such a way that the government is being blamed for it. It's the government. Well, it's HealthCare.gov that screwed up. It's Obamacare that screwed up. It isn't the insurance companies being blamed for this. It isn't the Republicans. It isn't the hospitals. It isn't the pharmacies. It isn't anybody. It's the government.

Everybody, the news media, everybody is dutifully falling in line here saying, "What can the government do to fix this? What did the government do wrong here?" I'm hearing a lot of people pick up my theme from Tuesday about how could so many people let down an inspirational leader like Obama? Why weren't people in there chugging to make him look good? Anyway, so what Obama has done here -- (laughing) -- Obama has managed, he's accomplished the exact opposite of what he intended. People are coming to the common-sense conclusion that government can't do this.

So, in that sense, why, then, when it fails would anybody reasonably say, "Well, let's let the government do it." 'Cause the government is who's screwing this up. And therein lies, I think, a brilliantly conceived, flawlessly executed explanation of the just raging incompetence of Obama. You gotta design a failure. You have to design the failure so that your enemies get the blame, and with the media on his side, I mean, how could he fail here? But he did. And there are reasons. There are explanations for that.
So the government, thanks to Obama's incompetence, does not look like the shining city on a hill of salvation here. And I think this is another occasion where we need to thank Senators Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, because, were it not for them, the public would not even be aware of how much the "Republicans" -- I put that in quotes -- fought against Obamacare. And I think this is crucially important now, within this context. Obamacare designed to fail, government is the salvation, but that won't work now because government is being seen as the problem and the blame and the incompetent player here. One of the reasons that's happening is because Cruz and Lee fought this thing and identified for the public that the, quote, unquote, Republicans fought against this. They are not part of it. Those two led that charge and lead that identity for the Republicans. Attaboys.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/10/24/obama_is_so_incompetent_he_couldn_t_properly_build_a_system_designed_to_fail
I loved his bemoaning of the media's characterization of Tea Partiers at the beginning but holy gently caress. Obama is so incompetent that he designed a system to fail in such a way that he will usher in a single payer healthcare system. But he can't do that! The government is being blamed! People now hate the Government! The exact thing we want them to do! drat YOU OBAMA!!! I love you Obama

Years 2000-2008 of this article just never ceases to amuse me

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Nope.

I think it was tuesday, he was going off on Obamacare was bad because there just wasn't enough doctors for everyone. He just never seemed to make the connection that he was basically saying the US has a doctor shortage and that some people just have to do without so that others can see doctors quickly and pay reasonable prices.

Nevermind what happens to those who just have to do without.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Why would he? In his view the poor are a resource, to be distributed and used up for profit, only to be replaced once they have outlived/outworked their ability to make him money.

If they had his sort of powerful, can-do Randian spirit, then they wouldn't be poor, now would they? :smug:

...Gods, I need medication after reading that. I feel gross.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Alex Jones has compiled a list of all the FALSE FAINTS for your viewing pleasure.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
This lady on Mike Church was reviewing a movie and gave it one-and-a-half Reagans :ughh:.

Look, review a movie from a conservative perspective if you want, but have some dignity.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This lady on Mike Church was reviewing a movie and gave it one-and-a-half Reagans :ughh:.

Look, review a movie from a conservative perspective if you want, but have some dignity.

But Reagan was a star!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Nope.

I think it was tuesday, he was going off on Obamacare was bad because there just wasn't enough doctors for everyone. He just never seemed to make the connection that he was basically saying the US has a doctor shortage and that some people just have to do without so that others can see doctors quickly and pay reasonable prices.

Nevermind what happens to those who just have to do without.

I have co-workers that make the logical conclusion of this argument without the window dressing and it's hard to not point out how monstrous that opinion is.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Wonder what she thinks of Comic Books.

http://www.ep.tc/grenada/

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

beatlegs posted:

Understand that when many of these ultra rightwingers go on talk shows that aren't propaganda arms of the GOP, especially if they're mainstream entertainment shows, they deliberately moderate themselves. If you want to know where they really stand, watch them when they're in sympathetic company, with their guards down.

Not to mention that most of the points he made were severely flawed, beyond not even being in the same more-moderate position he takes on Fox Shows.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StandardVC10 posted:

Didn't we get out asses kicked in the War of 1812? I mean, eventually it paid off in that Britain actually paid attention to US sovereignty, but we weren't really prepared for it and kept losing battles.

Sorta. On land the US was not doing very well, but at sea US and privateers actually did quite well. In the end England decided that fighting Napoleon made more sense, and the war ended. Only no one told Andrew Jackson and the Brits in New Orleans so the US got to end the war on a high note.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorta. On land the US was not doing very well, but at sea US and privateers actually did quite well. In the end England decided that fighting Napoleon made more sense, and the war ended. Only no one told Andrew Jackson and the Brits in New Orleans so the US got to end the war on a high note.

Yeah, the Naval War of 1812 is actually pretty interesting; all of America's victories were minor, but the fact that America *had* naval victories against England was *hugely* demoralizing to the British, who were used to total naval supremacy. Strategically they were of no significance but they were huge moral victories.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
On Fox News, apparently Obama wants Marines to wear girly hats

Come on. Really? :psyduck:

I don't see it. They look like regular Marine hats to me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Damonic posted:

God, that's the actual headline.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Damonic posted:

That is from Duffleblog, which is basically The Onion for the armed forces. The New York Post and Washington Times also ran the story as real.

The official military response.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 25, 2013

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

God, that's the actual headline.

I had someone share that recently on Facebook. When it was pointed out that Obama has literally nothing to do with the decision, the poster argued Obama should have "ordered those in charge of the uniform change to STAND DOWN," like he was preventing an ICBM from being launched or something. Because it'll cost money to make the change, and this is bad because DEBT.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Damonic posted:

Yup. Nothing more manly than bitching about accessories and whether or not they match the rest of your outfit.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's umbrella-gate all over again.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Don't worry they'll do the right thing and run a correction...a week later...on a twitter account no one reads.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Damonic posted:

It would make some amount of sense if they complained it looked a bit like a French kepi and Obama was Frogging up the troops (it still be a stupid complaint of course), but I just can't see what makes the new cap 'girly' at all.

fake edit: Ah, the Duffleblog. Scourge of all conservatives attempting to use the military as a prop.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Don't worry they'll do the right thing and run a correction...a week later...on a twitter account no one reads.
Well in the meantime I'll just be over here imagining Tom Cruise grilling Jack Nicholson about whether he ordered a code girly hats.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Those "girly hats" look a lot like french foreign legion hats to me. I hear those guys are pretty girly though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I had someone share that recently on Facebook. When it was pointed out that Obama has literally nothing to do with the decision, the poster argued Obama should have "ordered those in charge of the uniform change to STAND DOWN," like he was preventing an ICBM from being launched or something. Because it'll cost money to make the change, and this is bad because DEBT.

Ugh, This is dumb for the who-the-gently caress-cares you described and because it WON'T cost ANYONE money! And if it does, service members actually receive money every year to cover maintaining their uniform. Also I'm pretty sure no one is forced to change their uniform on day one. (deployments being an exception, but you are usually given new ones for that)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Damonic posted:

Yeah, that's a girly hat, only a total sissy would...

:stare: Oh.

quote:

"Sgt. Maj. Dan Daly, a two-time Medal of Honor recipient who yelled, “Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” as he led Marines into the fight at Belleau Wood during World War I, wore a cap similar to the option proposed by the survey."

:stare: :stare: Oh.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

That is from Duffleblog, which is basically The Onion for the armed forces. The New York Post and Washington Times also ran the story as real.

The official military response.

It's almost as if right-wing media is run by hyperbolic morons willing to believe anything!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, that's a girly hat, only a total sissy would...

I love how there's apparently no protocol for wearing multiple Medals of Honor so he just kinda has that weird swagger going on.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CNN: Guys we need to figure out a new clock to use since our count down to default is done and our count up of the shut down day is done. Any ideas?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

CNN: Guys we need to figure out a new clock to use since our count down to default is done and our count up of the shut down day is done. Any ideas?

Ted Turner, please... Put this old dog out of its misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So are they going to credit Jon Stewart when they eventually make his idea 'Clockfire' a real show?