Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spirits Within almost killed the company and lost them so much money they're STILL recovering from it. They have absolutely no reason to do anything with it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Spirits Within almost killed the company and lost them so much money they're STILL recovering from it. They have absolutely no reason to do anything with it ever again.

Costume for FFXIII-3.

And uh, I think thats probably it.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

What if they remake other Micheal Jackson music videos? That would be worth revisiting Spirits Within.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A Spirits Within version of Smooth Criminal would be unironically awesome. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, Spirits Within is a huge factor of why VG development has been sloppy at S-E for a decade. I personally still think the film is a massive graphical achievement and still looks great today, but I'm perplexed as to the entire direction they wanted to take with what was clearly supposed to be a Final Fantasy movie. I watched it with family and even they said, "Why isn't this like those games you play?"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Renoistic posted:

I spent hours picking outfits in RoF and Xenoblade, not to mention Saint's Row 2. Too bad almost every single outfit in this game looks like poo poo.

The easy choice in Saint's Row is to just forgo the choice of clothing entirely. :dong:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I heard that it originally had nothing to do with Final Fantasy, but had the name attached to it to give it some familiarity. I'm surprised that it was that massive of a failure, so there must have been some critical mistakes, like a complete absence of any marketing, or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

I heard that it originally had nothing to do with Final Fantasy, but had the name attached to it to give it some familiarity. I'm surprised that it was that massive of a failure, so there must have been some critical mistakes, like a complete absence of any marketing, or something.

It went way, way, way over budget. It was supposed to cost half as much as it did and would have made a good bit of money if it hadn't cost so much. Instead it lost $50 million.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 28, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's weird, because as a film Spirits Within is solid. Cine D is doing an essay collection about why films failed, and that's going to be an interesting one to read.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If your first film is a massive failure despite bringing in $85 million at the box office you set your sights way, way too high.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's weird, because as a film Spirits Within is solid. Cine D is doing an essay collection about why films failed, and that's going to be an interesting one to read.

I don't know if I'd go with solid. I mean, I haven't rewatched it since my I saw it a week before it released in theaters and thought "this is poo poo." What I remember most clearly about it other than the main character looking worse than everyone else because they had wrinkles and she didn't is that its a Sci-Fi film that seemed totally unwilling to engage with its core conceits. Like, anything interesting about the ghosts, the war, the way in which they are stopped are all peripheral to the mcguffin quest the plot revolves around.

And Buscemi is fuckin wasted in that film.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Do you mean 'above the material' or 'drunk as gently caress?'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Do you mean 'above the material' or 'drunk as gently caress?'

He actually picks up the hat-trick by doing both of those things and dying.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

What I remember most clearly about it other than the main character looking worse than everyone else because they had wrinkles and she didn't

If they looked so good, why aren't they on Maxim's hottest women of 2001 list?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Barudak posted:

I don't know if I'd go with solid. I mean, I haven't rewatched it since my I saw it a week before it released in theaters and thought "this is poo poo." What I remember most clearly about it other than the main character looking worse than everyone else because they had wrinkles and she didn't is that its a Sci-Fi film that seemed totally unwilling to engage with its core conceits. Like, anything interesting about the ghosts, the war, the way in which they are stopped are all peripheral to the mcguffin quest the plot revolves around.

The universe to that film is a lot better explored in a game, I think, because the script was really limited and I'm sure they had to cut a bunch of stuff just to have a finished film. There's so much going on and the script writers aren't really up to snuff to really explore everything. Imagine if this was a game that followed FFX - I think it would've been better received and they wouldn't have blown so much money on it.

The cost overruns seemed to revolve around the fact that they wasted tons of rendering time on superfluous poo poo like modeling and physics for all 60,000 strands of Aki's hair. I'm sure that's technically impressive but it's a waste when they probably could have done things more efficiently.

I wonder, did Square straight up buy all those SGI units and CPUs for their render farm? This seems like a big miscalculation, they probably should have farmed VFX to ILM and let them handle the logistics of everything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They had some grand plan to use Aki as an "artificial actress" to refine over time and star in most of their planned films. Hence the 400k poly model in loving 2001.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

They had some grand plan to use Aki as an "artificial actress" to refine over time and star in most of their planned films. Hence the 400k poly model in loving 2001.

Oh yeah I think I saw the documentary they made about that called "S1m0ne" it had Al Pacino in it. It takes some liberties.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

How is the FFT iOS port? I know it's stupid expensive but I'd be willing to pay for the convenience of playing on a tablet. Would I be better off just digging up my old PS2 and playing my disc copy? Also, how is the new translation? I have some nostalgia for the original terrible translation but it would be nice to play the game with intelligible dialogue.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

door Door door posted:

How is the FFT iOS port? I know it's stupid expensive but I'd be willing to pay for the convenience of playing on a tablet. Would I be better off just digging up my old PS2 and playing my disc copy? Also, how is the new translation? I have some nostalgia for the original terrible translation but it would be nice to play the game with intelligible dialogue.

It's pretty good, though I would only recommend playing it on an iPad because they didn't change the UI at all and it's kind of cramped on an iPhone.

The translation is the PSP version, so pretty decent although you may get confused because a bunch of the spell and ability names have changed.

I'd say it's definitely a step up from the PSX version.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

These proportions really creeped me out, but I had to stop and wonder if Lightning was always modeled to look that off. Judging by the looks of things, she's always had either a too-large head or a too-small body, but it just becomes more obvious when she's not covered in silhouette-changing, eye-distracting clothes. I feel a lot of the girls in FFXIII are like that, it's just clearly dissonant when a character has a fairly serious and not childlike face the way Lightning does. It's the uncanny valley effect, the model is just barely realistic enough that the stylized proportions come off looking disturbing.

This is definitely a case in favor of starting with more realistic body proportions first then applying stylized designs after.

Yeah, my friend and I were talking about how off Lightning's proportions are in those screenshots and I did a quick-and-dirty touch up to try and make her proportions more human-like:

I admit, I haven't taken a life-drawing class in almost a decade but Lightning's proportions are roughly 6 head lengths tall and 2 and 1/4ish head lengths across. A normal adult human being is roughly 3 head lengths across and 7 head lengths tall. That can be exaggerated when it comes to the idealized and heroic figure which is usually 8 to 8 and half head lengths tall with longer arms, legs and a bigger torso to compensate. As it stands, Lightning looks like an emaciated teenager with a huge head in most of those pictures.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Vanderdeath posted:

I admit, I haven't taken a life-drawing class in almost a decade but Lightning's proportions are roughly 6 head lengths tall and 2 and 1/4ish head lengths across. A normal adult human being is roughly 3 head lengths across and 7 head lengths tall. That can be exaggerated when it comes to the idealized and heroic figure which is usually 8 to 8 and half head lengths tall with longer arms, legs and a bigger torso to compensate. As it stands, Lightning looks like an emaciated teenager with a huge head in most of those pictures.

That giant halloween mask head with a scowly face on top of a barbie doll body is loving killing me.

CHRYSTALS
/

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Does anyone have the Four Job Fiesta 2013 infographic? I missed it when it came out and it's turning up a forbidden error now.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, my friend and I were talking about how off Lightning's proportions are in those screenshots and I did a quick-and-dirty touch up to try and make her proportions more human-like:

Thank you for this. I was having a hard time telling what exactly was off about those screenshots. I knew they weren't properly proportioned, but I wasn't quite sure how.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dis astranagant posted:

If your first film is a massive failure despite bringing in $85 million at the box office you set your sights way, way too high.

Hollywood Accounting is a helluva drug. You wouldn't believe which movies "aren't profitable".

Vanderdeath posted:

Manga tends to run wild when it comes to perspective, ranging from the pseudorealistic to chibi (not). FF is already :japan: as gently caress so I could see it taking some artistic liberties with style there.

That said, it just looks goofy and bad. :colbert:

But I agree with the guy who said it could just be awkward screenshots? I'll wait till I see them in an official media or in-game, but I am concerned.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The "manga!" argument might have weight if FF13 went for stylization, but it's really not. Combining attempts at photorealism with manga proportions results in an abomination more horrifying than a normal animu.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

The "manga!" argument might have weight if FF13 went for stylization, but it's really not. Combining attempts at photorealism with manga proportions results in an abomination more horrifying than a normal animu.

Let us all hold hands and remember Star Ocean 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Let us all hold hands and remember Star Ocean 4.

I refuse to touch anyone who wants to remember Star Ocean 4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manga runs wild with perspective, proportions, and styles, but it needs to look consistent and good. Basically, it's the difference between ignoring a rule on purpose and accidentally breaking a rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyCZ2Vywkg

JoJo's, for instance, is an example of Good Stylization.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Barudak posted:

Similar to FF7 and Lost Odyssey, the movie was influenced by Sakaguchi's spiritual awakening after his mother's death. However, it underwent a number of rewrites in order to make it more marketable since a lot of money was riding on it. You end up with a story that mishmashes the traditional Hollywood action-adventure structure with a JRPG quest and Japanese melodrama. This is a movie where soldiers wear bulky armor against an enemy that can quickly phase through walls and steal their souls.

A lot of people in game development and CGI studios look up to the movie. It's not so for the story as it is about the movie's art direction. For example, the omni-tool in Mass Effect was influenced by the technology in TSW.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also, the actors do pretty drat well with the archetypes they get assigned. James Wood's bit when he has a pistol to his head, about to commit suicide (in a family film?) is a pretty good example of an actor elevating the script they were given.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

1st AD posted:

It's pretty good, though I would only recommend playing it on an iPad because they didn't change the UI at all and it's kind of cramped on an iPhone.

The translation is the PSP version, so pretty decent although you may get confused because a bunch of the spell and ability names have changed.

I'd say it's definitely a step up from the PSX version.

Sweet, looks like I'll be buying the iPad version eventually.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Siliconera posted some FFV and V sketches made by Nomura at the time. They look so 90s I almost got sentimental. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/28/rare-tetsuya-nomura-art-sketches-final-fantasy-vi-era-unearthed/

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
He really tried to make the FF6 characters as absolutely generic as possible, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Gau the freaking hulking Tarzan manbeast is kind of amazing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

He really tried to make the FF6 characters as absolutely generic as possible, though.

I legitimately can't tell who the person standing front and center is even supposed to be. I thought it was Locke, but Locke is above and to the left of him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the other hand, while Nomura's FFVI sketches are kinda meh, I like his FFV sketches.

It's like the opposite of Amano, who did a great job with FFVI, while his FFV work wasn't that good to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I legitimately can't tell who the person standing front and center is even supposed to be. I thought it was Locke, but Locke is above and to the left of him.

It looks, based on positioning and design, that "Locke the proagonist-like dude" and "Locke the thief" were two different characters at this stage of design. There's also an old woman to go with Strago and Relm and it was confirmed a while ago that was one of their original ideas that got cut.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's thought that the character in the middle was cut from the official release of FFVI. There's just no other explanation for who it is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My favorite is the Guile/Sabin/General Leo one in the second-to-last image, on the far right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm never going to get out of my head the idea of anime-bishonen Gau tossing his hair, all up against a sparkly pastel backdrop, lovely-eyelashed gaze piercing and sensual, as he greets us, "Mr. Thou."

(also, Nomura-Interceptor is a cute puppy, awwww!)