Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Would you rather go back to griefing people with playing cards? At least this is video games.

Most of those tabletop stories were great :colbert:

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

(e.g. Post content or :frogout:)

Go gently caress yourself :allears:

I have actually been loving with people lately though, so here's my little bit for the rest of you.

One of my favorite "takes this game too seriously" gamer types is the kind in loot pinata games. Torchlight, Borderlands, Diablo. People who absolutely hate the idea of gear or whatever that wasn't won through a hard slog of fellating the RNG. The kind of people who take pride in having caught over a hundred of each Pokemon in their party and leveling them all up manually to 100 and then doing formulas to figure out their hidden stats to pick the one with the best arrangement they desperately want.

This is specifically about Borderlands, which thanks to people like Gibbed you can gently caress with endlessly with cheat engine tables.

What got me playing again was a new "lootsplosion" table. Basically you can make literally everything drop a profusion of items from it's loot table and have basic enemies littering the ground with everything from whites to legendaries in altered proportions. Previously, controlling your drops involved altering probabilities so normal drops were never greens and always purples or whatever, and spawning hordes of enemies which drop whatever you want to farm faster. Now, you can guarantee drops you want through sheer numbers while crashing the clients of people with lesser computers through ground clutter.

Yesterday though, yesterday we got some kind of "True drops" crusader. I was playing with some random pubbies who were having a blast with that table enabled. Basically, if you host your cheat tables will work in multi. And I had two kids, probably 12-15, following me around laughing their asses off as skags exploded money, eridium, and rare loot all over everything. They thought it was awesome, and we were having fun constantly trying out new guns and leaving the ones we didn't like by the side of the road like empty Starbucks cups.

Enter some guy who had to be in his mid 20s who saw what we were doing and started yelling at us. Mild cursing interspersed with "ruining your game experience" and "you can't cheat real life, why would you cheat a game" and other such nonsense.

The two kids I had in my game did not take this lightly. They fired back the usual barrage of "You're a stupid human being" and other such insults you'd expect from people who have only existed in social situations where it's acceptable to curse for a couple of years. And to his credit, Crusader dude toned down just a tad when he realized that he was talking to a pair of teenagers probably at least a decade younger than he was.

Well, he toned down until they went ahead and volunteered "We're not even doing this anyway. We joined this game and the guy hosting it is the one who's making it rain guns"

I'm 28. I sound 28. And when I spoke up and he realized that it's a 28 year old dude showing kids how to cheat in a multiplayer game and like it, he called me a predator.

Not a sexual predator, just a predator. I found myself facing accusations from another grown man that I was seducing children to my warped cheat-friendly worldview. I was damaging their ability to function in the real world by showing them that you can cheat your way around things and not actually ever have to put in any work to get what you want. That I was teaching them it was perfectly ok to circumvent societal conventions (as dictated by the programming of Borderlands 2) and he then began entreating the kids to leave my game with him and "forsake these hedonistic lands of gun-plenty which is not an accurate reflection of real life."

Yeah, that's a direct quote.

The upshot of it all came when they wouldn't leave and I couldn't kick him and didn't feel like quitting out and trying to reform or something, he eventually got tired of following us around murdering things and picking up guns everywhere and asked if I would please turn off the code and go legitimately farm a Bee shield for him. The younger sounding of the two kids turned and shat out four of them, saying we'd already done that and he should just take one of the ones there.

Dude sat there for about 20 seconds silent, picked up all 4 shields, and promptly quit the game.

It took us a few minutes to stop laughing after that, gather ourselves, and go murder some more bandits. The only thing better than a self righteous crusader is one who's also a total hypocrite.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Tardcore posted:

I actually think it was just intent to maim, making it even dumber, there's no way in hell he was trying to kill him if all he hit was the owners hand.

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure you are massively overestimating the typical accuracy of a handgun shooter.

I also imagine the owner was doing something other than standing there like a chump and taking it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I (in an admittedly rather petty way) wasted nearly half an hour of someone else's time in Hearthstone earlier tonight. For reference's sake, most matches take 5-10 minutes. :v:

To put it as simply as possible, the deck I run revolves around preventing the opponent from acting as much as possible, be it preventing their minions from attacking on their next turn, murdering the gently caress out of it with a spell, etc.

Outside of playing one rather rare minion, turns in Hearthstone last for 1:30 or so at max. There is a system to combat AFK'ers they have in place that causes people who totally ran out the timer on their turn to start the next with a reduced amount of time. If they manually end it, even if it's only a split-second shy of automatically ending, they'll still start with a full timer the next round.

So, I essentially did everything I intended to do in my play within 15-30 seconds, then tabbed out to play Cookie Clicker until I heard the warnings HS gives when your time's almost up, then tabbed back to manually end my turn. Every. Single. Turn. Between that and the aforementioned shenanigans of my deck, the other guy almost never got to use his minions after the early game, while I kept plinking away at him directly. Eventually, he made a sudden reversal on his board, and brought out several powerful minions that would've killed me on his next turn (most creatures in HS have to wait a turn after they're summoned before they can attack).

Until I played a spell that'd been in my hand for nearly all of the game, which dealt more than enough damage to his hero to win me the game. :v:

Honestly, I feel kinda guilty about it in retrospect, especially since it all started for incredibly petty reasons on my end. :blush:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Regalingualius posted:

Well, I (in an admittedly rather petty way) wasted nearly half an hour of someone else's time in Hearthstone earlier tonight. For reference's sake, most matches take 5-10 minutes. :v:

To put it as simply as possible, the deck I run revolves around preventing the opponent from acting as much as possible, be it preventing their minions from attacking on their next turn, murdering the gently caress out of it with a spell, etc.

Outside of playing one rather rare minion, turns in Hearthstone last for 1:30 or so at max. There is a system to combat AFK'ers they have in place that causes people who totally ran out the timer on their turn to start the next with a reduced amount of time. If they manually end it, even if it's only a split-second shy of automatically ending, they'll still start with a full timer the next round.

So, I essentially did everything I intended to do in my play within 15-30 seconds, then tabbed out to play Cookie Clicker until I heard the warnings HS gives when your time's almost up, then tabbed back to manually end my turn. Every. Single. Turn. Between that and the aforementioned shenanigans of my deck, the other guy almost never got to use his minions after the early game, while I kept plinking away at him directly. Eventually, he made a sudden reversal on his board, and brought out several powerful minions that would've killed me on his next turn (most creatures in HS have to wait a turn after they're summoned before they can attack).

Until I played a spell that'd been in my hand for nearly all of the game, which dealt more than enough damage to his hero to win me the game. :v:

Honestly, I feel kinda guilty about it in retrospect, especially since it all started for incredibly petty reasons on my end. :blush:

This is dumb, and so are you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I know. Like I said, I did it for rather stupid reasons, and the guy I did it to really did nothing on his part to deserve it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Intentionally making someone's gameplay experience miserable for no good reason is the classical definition of griefing, and by "classical" I mean "in the Greek or Roman sense." It was the Roman emperor Nero who once asked, as he spawncamped a burning Rome, "Iratus es, frater?"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TheSpiritFox posted:

This is specifically about Borderlands, which thanks to people like Gibbed you can gently caress with endlessly with cheat engine tables.

What got me playing again was a new "lootsplosion" table. :words:

So my aunt should've gone to jail for giving me that Game Genie. Good to know :frog:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

Intentionally making someone's gameplay experience miserable for no good reason is the classical definition of griefing

Yes, but in this thread we expect some kind of creativity in our griefing stories. Any ten year old kid can waste timers, shoot teamates, or scream into a microphone, but that poo poo is totally uninteresting and not worth posting. Griefs in this thread are supposed to involve something actually funny, that's why it isn't just pages and pages "LOL I just shot my teammates in Call of Duty and then called them faggots!"

For Content: I was playing Dark Souls the other day and was summoned by another player in the Undead Parish. Now in this area there is an NPC named Lautrec, who drops a very nice ring for the early game if you kill him (which is optional). The thing is, summoned players cannot interact with NPCs in the host's world in any fashion, even to attack them. My summoner was apparently unaware of this and attacked Lautrec, then clearly went into a defensive posture expecting me to attack him from behind. Instead of doing anything to communicate this to him or simply stand there silently, I just started doing a variety of emotes like dancing a jig with my channeler stick. I couldn't have done anything to help him or hinder him anyway, but by dancing around the whole time it looked like I was willfully refusing to help him. Lautrec slowly whittled him down and killed him, and after he was dead I was sent a rage filled message demanding to know why I didn't help him.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 27, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I used to play the old school Day of Defeat 1.3b mod for Half Life in high school. There was a bleeding system. There was a somewhat random chance that a shot would cause someone to slowly bleed. While bleeding, their health would decrease gradually. Unless they stopped it with a bandage, they'd be dead in 10 seconds. All you had to do was hit the X key, and you had as many bandages as needed.
Pistols and shots on the limbs were less likely to initiate bleeding.

Servers with team damage on were rare, and those that did have TD enabled always had some voting kick script for teamkillers. The hilarious grief was not to teamkill, but to be teamkilled. If you had a douchebaggy teammate, it was pretty easy to get them kicked/banned for teamkilling. Jump in front of their grenade. Run into their line of fire. But the best was to shoot their feet with your pistol. You could put 3 or 4 rounds into them and it wouldn't kill them, but bring their health so low that a single shot from any enemy would kill them. Almost every time, they'd realize what was happening and fire a shot into your center mass with their main weapon. If you were really lucky, you'd start bleeding. Don't bandage yourself, and you bleed out and die, and they get the TK logged against them and are now kicked.

The rage that inspired was hilarious. It was extra fun to taunt them in chat, "Why did you do that to me? Aren't you trying to play the game? Please stop TK'ing me :kiddo:" just before the banhammer came down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GTA Online has all kinds of good griefs. They've been posted in the gta thread, but I don't know about here.

One way to grief yourself is by getting a tank. It costs a lot of money and is totally useless if you don't want bad sport. If someone else has a tank, good times are about to be had. Take your personal (and insured) vehicle, the higher the value the better and drive towards the person in the tank. They might shoot you with the cannon and get some bad sport points. Keep doing this and they might learn to not shoot you as you are bringing personal vehicles. This doesn't end everything because you can drive your car under the tank treads. This counts as them blowing you up. Do this enough times and they'll pay a bunch of money to get your car back as well as get kicked to bad sport land when they leave the session.

Another fun thing has to do with Simeon's high priority vehicles. A green car icon shows up on everyone's map and if you get it, respray it and take it to the docks, you get a few thousand bucks. Not really worth it at all for the time spent, but people do it anyway. There are a few ways to go about dealing with this. One way is to get to the car, throw a sticky on it and leave. Eventually you will get a notification that someone has grabbed the high priority vehicle and you blow it up. Pretty easy, not as satisfying. Another thing to do is take the vehicle yourself, drive to the mod shop and put an ignition bomb on it. Take the car and drive up to a bunch of pubbies and they will kill you to try to get the car. They will fight amongst themselves to get it. One of them finally wins and gets in, BOOM!

My personal favorite is to wait until it says someone has grabbed the car. Once they have it, there's only two places they can go. They'll go to LSC to spray it and then to the docks to turn it in. Some people go to the nearest LSC, I go to the docks as there are several mod shops the person could go to. Place some sticky grenades on the ground in front of the garage door and run away. Get a sniper scope or something to look from afar. When the person shows up with the car and drive to the garage, detonate your stickies. I think this is the most satisfying because all I had to do was drive to docks and wait. This person spent at least a few minutes losing the cops, getting to a mod shop to repair and spray the car and then the trek down to the docks. Not to mention they have to find a new car (cars don't spawn much at the docks) whereas I can just drive away. It forces them to spend a thousand dollars and waste their time and they don't even get the pittance of a reward at the end.

Another good grief comes from glitching insurance onto non insurable vehicles. There's a way to put emergency vehicles and helicopters into your garage and glitch insurance onto them. When someone blows up your personal vehicle, they get badsport points and also have to pay for your insurance. So if you insure something like a tank or a buzzard, it gets expensive for pubs. Take your tank out and let someone borrow it. Eventually they might blow it up in their rampage. There goes $18K out of their bank account. Fly your buzzard around and shoot at pubs, let them blow up your chopper. They just lost 12K.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

One of my favorite "takes this game too seriously" gamer types is the kind in loot pinata games. Torchlight, Borderlands, Diablo. People who absolutely hate the idea of gear or whatever that wasn't won through a hard slog of fellating the RNG.

The funniest example of this kind of attitude I've seen is when the CEO of Gearbox(the developers of Borderlands) called people who use modified loot tables "e-terrorists" on twitter:

E: Keep in mind Bordelands 2 has no competetive multiplayer element so the cheating in it is basically like cheating in a singleplayer game.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

Small and Blue posted:

The funniest example of this kind of attitude I've seen is when the CEO of Gearbox(the developers of Borderlands) called people who use modified loot tables "e-terrorists" on twitter:

E: Keep in mind Bordelands 2 has no competetive multiplayer element so the cheating in it is basically like cheating in a singleplayer game.

I'm 99% sure this was in response to people harassing him after changes to how The Bee shield worked, it had nothing to do with modified loot tables.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Not_Log posted:

I'm 99% sure this was in response to people harassing him after changes to how The Bee shield worked, it had nothing to do with modified loot tables.

This is correct. They made the bee have a much longer recharge delay, which made it more likely that you're not going to be at full shields and get to have every shot have am extra 20k tacked on to the front end of the damage calculations. It hurt a few specific bee-dependent speedrun builds designed to murder raid bosses in under a minute solo.

Rather than being an expression of taking a game too seriously, that post was the developers being irritated at the response to a change they made from people who take the game too seriously.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was unintentionally griefed today in GTA V by another goon. But, it started yesterday.

Yesterday, fellow goon Fallenintheblak and I drove around endlessly looking for a specific vehicle. The Karin Rebel 4x4 version. To be fair, it's a nice car, and I had no problems helping. A few hours goes by with no sign of this car. So we both leave and do something else.

Today, Fallen decided to put a 9k bounty on me while I was in passive mode. For those who don't play, a bounty on someone makes them stand out by being a giant red dot on the map. If you get the person who has the bounty, you get the money. I don't think anything of it, and continue to mess around. Since I am in passive mode, people can't directly kill me.

I do a few races and mess around for an hour or two until I enter free roam. As soon as I enter the free roam session, there is a brand new Karin Rebel 4x4 waiting for me. I jump in it, and am immediately destroyed by guards surrounding the area I was at.

No big deal, I respawn and rush over there. I get in, and start driving away when a missile comes out of nowhere and explodes right in front of me. Some guy is shooting at me from a Buzzard, a helicopter with missiles on it. I quickly think about my choices. Try and out run the guy and bank on the fact that he can't target me, or get out of the vehicle so there is minimal risk that it will blow up and let this guy kill me. You see, the bounty, that Fallen put on as a joke a few hours ago is still very active.

So I get out of the car and jump up and down so this person kills me. No big deal. I start running back to the car after I respawn only to see this rear end in a top hat get into the car I was trying to take, and drive off. I steal a car and start chasing him. Meanwhile, the person I just raced with, Caramaine, is asking what is going on only to be told to shut up. I'm mad and I want my truck.

I chased this person for five minutes before I can get close enough to shoot out his tires and move up close to try and kill him. I damage him a lot but sadly, in the end I died. I respawned and rushed for the truck. All four tires have been shot out, and the guy is nowhere to be seen. I hop in and limp to the nearest customs shop. I repair, and start the 3 mile drive throu mountains back to my garage.

Because I was angry at this person, I put a bounty on him. 9k for being an rear end in a top hat. About a mile into my trek back home, this red dot comes zooming out of nowhere and shoots a missile right in front of me, blowing up the car in front of me. God drat it. So I start to take this thing off road. H can't lock on, missiles are hard to get right at cars, and I want this truck pretty bad. He keeps following me, shooting at me and trying to kill me.

I crest over a mountain and hide under a bridge for a second and call Lester. Lester is this hacker guy that can make you lose warrant levels, find cars for you, make bounties, or make you disappear from radar for a minute. So I pay him the money, and call a mercenary service to attack this guy as a distraction. As soon as he makes a pass I drive away, and make it back out onto the road and try to blend in with the other cars.

I finally make it back to my garage with the truck, dented and beaten to poo poo. Ad the whole thing might have never happened if Fallen wouldn't have put that bounty up.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Intentionally making someone's gameplay experience miserable for no good reason is the classical definition of griefing, and by "classical" I mean "in the Greek or Roman sense." It was the Roman emperor Nero who once asked, as he spawncamped a burning Rome, "Iratus es, frater?"

Yeah it but it should be funny and/or creative.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah it but it should be funny and/or creative.

Yeah and his Latin is wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Soulex posted:

I finally make it back to my garage with the truck, dented and beaten to poo poo. Ad the whole thing might have never happened if Fallen wouldn't have put that bounty up.

Why did you care after you got to LSC? Once you put a tracker and insurance on it, you can't lose it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

For Content: I was playing Dark Souls the other day and was summoned by another player in the Undead Parish. Now in this area there is an NPC named Lautrec, who drops a very nice ring for the early game if you kill him (which is optional). The thing is, summoned players cannot interact with NPCs in the host's world in any fashion, even to attack them. My summoner was apparently unaware of this and attacked Lautrec, then clearly went into a defensive posture expecting me to attack him from behind. Instead of doing anything to communicate this to him or simply stand there silently, I just started doing a variety of emotes like dancing a jig with my channeler stick. I couldn't have done anything to help him or hinder him anyway, but by dancing around the whole time it looked like I was willfully refusing to help him. Lautrec slowly whittled him down and killed him, and after he was dead I was sent a rage filled message demanding to know why I didn't help him.
Actually, the Channeler dance buffs friendly things.

You were literally doing everything you could to help short of bringing the group heal miracles which if I recall are not really worth the slots.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah the group heal miracles are pretty poo poo. You're way, way better off bringing attack miracles/spells/pyromancies than bringing the crappy healing ones. None of your healing compares to Estus Flasks or Humanity at all.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Soulex posted:

I was unintentionally griefed today in GTA V by another goon. But, it started yesterday.

Yesterday, fellow goon Fallenintheblak and I drove around endlessly looking for a specific vehicle. The Karin Rebel 4x4 version. To be fair, it's a nice car, and I had no problems helping. A few hours goes by with no sign of this car. So we both leave and do something else.

Today, Fallen decided to put a 9k bounty on me while I was in passive mode. For those who don't play, a bounty on someone makes them stand out by being a giant red dot on the map. If you get the person who has the bounty, you get the money. I don't think anything of it, and continue to mess around. Since I am in passive mode, people can't directly kill me.

I do a few races and mess around for an hour or two until I enter free roam. As soon as I enter the free roam session, there is a brand new Karin Rebel 4x4 waiting for me. I jump in it, and am immediately destroyed by guards surrounding the area I was at.

No big deal, I respawn and rush over there. I get in, and start driving away when a missile comes out of nowhere and explodes right in front of me. Some guy is shooting at me from a Buzzard, a helicopter with missiles on it. I quickly think about my choices. Try and out run the guy and bank on the fact that he can't target me, or get out of the vehicle so there is minimal risk that it will blow up and let this guy kill me. You see, the bounty, that Fallen put on as a joke a few hours ago is still very active.

So I get out of the car and jump up and down so this person kills me. No big deal. I start running back to the car after I respawn only to see this rear end in a top hat get into the car I was trying to take, and drive off. I steal a car and start chasing him. Meanwhile, the person I just raced with, Caramaine, is asking what is going on only to be told to shut up. I'm mad and I want my truck.

I chased this person for five minutes before I can get close enough to shoot out his tires and move up close to try and kill him. I damage him a lot but sadly, in the end I died. I respawned and rushed for the truck. All four tires have been shot out, and the guy is nowhere to be seen. I hop in and limp to the nearest customs shop. I repair, and start the 3 mile drive throu mountains back to my garage.

Because I was angry at this person, I put a bounty on him. 9k for being an rear end in a top hat. About a mile into my trek back home, this red dot comes zooming out of nowhere and shoots a missile right in front of me, blowing up the car in front of me. God drat it. So I start to take this thing off road. H can't lock on, missiles are hard to get right at cars, and I want this truck pretty bad. He keeps following me, shooting at me and trying to kill me.

I crest over a mountain and hide under a bridge for a second and call Lester. Lester is this hacker guy that can make you lose warrant levels, find cars for you, make bounties, or make you disappear from radar for a minute. So I pay him the money, and call a mercenary service to attack this guy as a distraction. As soon as he makes a pass I drive away, and make it back out onto the road and try to blend in with the other cars.

It's me. I'm the horrible person. The truck was so worth it though. :allears:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes, but in this thread we expect some kind of creativity in our griefing stories. Any ten year old kid can waste timers, shoot teamates, or scream into a microphone, but that poo poo is totally uninteresting and not worth posting. Griefs in this thread are supposed to involve something actually funny, that's why it isn't just pages and pages "LOL I just shot my teammates in Call of Duty and then called them faggots!"

That actually happened on a game I was summoned too once, and me and the other player just decided to form a human wall between the player and Lautrec.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

SlothfulCobra posted:

That actually happened on a game I was summoned too once, and me and the other player just decided to form a human wall between the player and Lautrec.

Yeah, that's about all you can do with the various "important" NPCs if the host picks a fight with them. There's one fight that's actually fairly difficult, against the two clerics in Tomb of the Giants, where just being in the way of one of the NPCs can be a huge help to your host.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Why did you care after you got to LSC? Once you put a tracker and insurance on it, you can't lose it.

I didnt want to die and have the guy succeed in finally destroying the vehicle. I was not happy at that point and refused to let him have the last word essentially.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

-Zydeco- posted:

I also imagine the owner was doing something other than standing there like a chump and taking it.

He was parrying the bullets, which the gunman didn't know he could do and thus griefing him.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

FallinInTheBlak posted:

It's me. I'm the horrible person. The truck was so worth it though. :allears:

Inadvertent with a priceless story. :bravo:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

AXE COP posted:

This doesn't actually work just fyi, multiple reports in one game just roll together into one. I guess if you got matched up with them a few times in a row somehow?
Seriously? So if you're being a bigoted match-ruining menace to the point where all 9 other players report you, 8 of those reports are effectively wasted? One more incomprehensible decision in an incomprehensible game.

Back to top hat guy from my earlier post for a second, we called his top hat a fedora for long enough that it ticked him off and he tabbed out of his game to educate us on the difference between the two

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tomanton posted:

Seriously? So if you're being a bigoted match-ruining menace to the point where all 9 other players report you, 8 of those reports are effectively wasted? One more incomprehensible decision in an incomprehensible game.

Back to top hat guy from my earlier post for a second, we called his top hat a fedora for long enough that it ticked him off and he tabbed out of his game to educate us on the difference between the two

It's to stop people in one round from griefing someone. The idea is to punish repeat offenders, not let one game decide everything. The idea is people who are going to be problems will still get picked up by the system.

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
Reading these 2013 "griefing" stories makes me miss oldschool UO and the terrible things you used to be able to do to people :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Path of Exile is a F2P game that is kind of a grind. To take my mind off of the monotony when I'm clicking monsters, I perhaps dabble in a bit of trolling. Just a bit. Seriously that player base must be either very young, very serious about the game.

All I typed was "please don't curse in public chat, it offends my Christian beliefs", and I kid you not, a debate on the value of cursing and religious freedom continued for a good 20 minutes off of that one comment, with some people getting REALLY MAD about it.

Everyone in PoE also seems to LOVE or HATE Dota 2 and LoL.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
James Johnson [145.9] says, "You know, I came all the way from space for a mail delivery. It's loving gibs."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just a PSA to remind everyone to piss off misogynist and other bigots in GTA Online. With a large enough server, you can go from repeatedly killing someone for being a block away from you to experiencing a verbal equivalent to a youtube debate. Like child birth, it's a horrible, painful, and disgusting series events that you can't help but think is beautiful.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Just a PSA to remind everyone to piss off misogynist and other bigots in GTA Online. With a large enough server, you can go from repeatedly killing someone for being a block away from you to experiencing a verbal equivalent to a youtube debate. Like child birth, it's a horrible, painful, and disgusting series events that you can't help but think is beautiful.

This is what molotov cocktails are for. Either that or blockading their garage with as many large vehicles as possible.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Splendiferous posted:

Reading these 2013 "griefing" stories makes me miss oldschool UO and the terrible things you used to be able to do to people :(

Try EVE Online, where you can literally trick someone into handing you everything they own and then walk away with no repercussions whatsoever and no restitution for your victims.

And by "try" I mean "read about". Don't play EVE.

Shoeicide
Feb 29, 2012
Ok, so people remember when having your games streamed to you from a PC someplace far away was starting to be a big thing, and one of these services was OnLive, right?

OnLive had a feature where you could watch other people play their games and actually talk to them, part of me wishes that OnLive was more successful because stuff like this is beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2JiMEk_eh8

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I know this might be a tall order but I think there is a picture of someone putting buttbots over the radio in SS13. Can anyone link me the story and pictures. Also anything else with butt bots because those things are hilarious.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Soulex posted:

I know this might be a tall order but I think there is a picture of someone putting buttbots over the radio in SS13. Can anyone link me the story and pictures. Also anything else with butt bots because those things are hilarious.
This one? (I dunno about any pictures, though).

Angry Diplomat posted:

My god, it's full of butt, part 1: the Cluwne factory

One of the round types in SS13 is Wizard, in which a powerful wizard is tasked with completing several objectives, while the crew must attempt to kill him. Wizards get access to a huge variety of spells, but can only choose four of them from the list at the start of the round; these are the spells they are limited to for the whole round.

One such spell is Curse of the Cluwne (at least, I think that's what it's called). This spell is generally considered a choice for "advanced" wizard players, since it has an extremely long cooldown, only targets one opponent, and can only be used at melee range, making it quite risky to use. It's still a popular spell, though, as it is far and away the griefiest spell of all. The Curse instantly transforms its victim into a Cluwne: a morbidly obese, subhuman, epileptic, brain-damaged, amazingly annoying ur-clown named "the cluwne" and wearing utterly hideous neon green clown clothing that is cursed and therefore cannot be removed. Cluwnes are traditionally marked for death by their non-cursed former comrades, and even when they manage to escape being murdered by an angry mob, they are so loving terrible at everything that their very existence is torment and they commonly wind up begging for death since their incredible incompetence can actually make it difficult for them to successfully commit suicide.

I have played in quite a few Wizard rounds, but one still sticks out as my absolute favourite. The wizard went on a Cluwney rampage that was funny as hell on its own, but the actions of one enterprising Roboticist turned the round from "hilarious" to "oh jesus my sides I'm dying over here" in no time flat. This ambitious soul retrieved a murdered Cluwne and dragged it back to his lab; ordinarily this would be a reason for the Cluwne to rejoice, since a Cluwne brain can still function perfectly normally if transferred into a cyborg, granting the player a new lease on life.

The Roboticist did not borg the Cluwne. He had other plans. Butt plans.

The deceased sad-clown was delivered to Genetics, where the Roboticist and a Geneticist entered into collusion. Now two people were in on the butt plans.

I have no idea what madness they got up to in there, but I do know that the second Roboticist was put on Butt Duty, bringing the known number of butt plan conspirators up to at least three. It is also likely that a delivery man was involved so as to speed the process along, as Butt Duty was a full-time job. All those butts had to come from somewhere, however:

They were cloning Cluwnes.

My god, it's full of butt, part 2: the buttening

The mastermind behind it all sat contentedly at his operating table and worked with astounding assembly-line efficiency. Behind him was a locker with a seemingly limitless number of twitching, honking, weeping Cluwnes stuffed into it; he would grab a Cluwneclone, slap it onto the table, neatly slice off its butt, indifferently cut out its brain, hurl the dead body and retarded brain down the disposal chute while he set the butt to one side, and repeat. The man on Butt Duty would then grab the Cluwne butt and slap a robot arm onto it, creating a Buttbot, a butt on wheels that served no purpose except to be a butt and say the word "butt."

The efficiency and hard work of the Butt Conspiracy paid off, and before long Medbay was entirely crammed with Buttbots, to the point where the entire area was rendered non-functional and impassable due to the surging ocean of little wheeled cyberbutts happily beeping "butt" in a tinny chorus. But(t) crowding was not the issue - Buttbots do one thing aside from simply say "butt" now and again. When a Buttbot hears someone speak, it has a chance to repeat what was said, with "butt" substituted in place of random words.

This became an issue when the Captain strolled into Medbay and was aghast at its sorry state. "What the gently caress is going on here?" he shouted.

The Buttbots chirped up in a gleeful, deafening chorus. "What the butt is butt on here?" "Butt the gently caress butt going on butt?" "What butt butt is going butt here?" and so on and so forth, in a disorienting wave of auditory butt. This infuriated the Captain further, but his hollering and order-giving only further excited the Buttbots, making it totally impossible for anyone nearby to hear what was said or get any idea of what the gently caress was going on amidst the titanic cacophony of butt. The Captain flew into a rage and decided to destroy all of the Buttbots, but he forgot that they leave smears of poo when destroyed; it was not long before he slipped head-over-heels and wound up prone and stunned in a puddle of human excrement, cursing relentlessly while the legion of Buttbots around him babbled back page upon page upon page of buttified imitation.

Seeing this, some jokester took a radio, turned on its microphone so that it would publicly broadcast anything it picked up, and tossed it into the room.

Well, poo poo, now nobody could hear anything. Every radio on the station became a hellish noise cannon, blasting out an incomprehensible wall of recursive butt laced with garbled cursing and butt-riddled mockeries of the crew's anguished cries for silence. At some point a bunch of the Buttbots came within hearing distance of the Cluwneclone closet; this is significant because Cluwnes will randomly and uncontrollably burst into fits of screamed honking. There were dozens of Cluwnes in that thing, and their eerie wails of HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK soon became a HONK HONK butt HONK butt blared forth from uncountable Buttbot speakers, received by the radio and broadcast throughout the station, magnifying upon itself until it was quite literally impossible to divine the slightest scrap of understanding from the game's text box as it was choked by dozens of pages of recursive buttspam per second. The Captain was helpless to stop it. The Roboticists were churning out Buttbots faster than he could destroy them, leaving him effectively stranded in the middle of the deafening, butt-packed hell that had once been Medbay.

I don't even know what the gently caress happened to that wizard, and I don't care. He was not the true villain of that round. The Robutticists were.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah that's it. I love that story!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So glorious. :butt:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

theshim posted:

This one? (I dunno about any pictures, though).

Unfortunately that incident drove the coders to change it so that non-humans can't broadcast over radio. A sad, but glorious end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You know you're top tier trollin' when they change game mechanics in response to your nonsense.

• Locked thread