Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

there is literally no such thing as a "universal bytecode". every bytecode platform makes tradeoffs related to its language design

"bluh bluh bluh this bytecode doesn't work with unicorns ruby 5.9 pony edition so this is not acceptable. no I get that it works with real languages and suits the needs of everyone who isn't a loving retard, but I don't like it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Universal in the sense that its standardized and works everywhere aka the only interpretation of universal that makes sense in the context.

not universal as in every lovely nice language can be easily compiled to it aka the most worthless interpretation of universal in the context.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i think someone tried to buy me a lovely av and failed. welp

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
jvm bytecode is very boring and tied very tightly to the java class library (which is unacceptable for the web), and doesn't support dynamic typing or closures very well. also it doesn't have native support for generics.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yes lets please bake type erasure into the web. great idea shaggar.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

jvm bytecode is very boring and tied very tightly to the java class library (which is unacceptable for the web), and doesn't support dynamic typing or closures very well. also it doesn't have native support for generics.

dynamic typing and closures are both luxuries, not necessities

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i think someone tried to buy me a lovely av and failed. welp

?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
type erasure is a java thing not a jvm bytecode thing. also its not really a problem unless you're doing bad stuff. and if your language doesnt compile nicely to jvm bytecode its probably poo poo and doesnt perform anywhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like even badlangs like ruby and python can be compiled to jvm byte code and their performance is better for it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

gucci void main posted:

dynamic typing and closures are both luxuries, not necessities

cool.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Is there even a best practice (or a few good ones) for the way the web is right now anyway?

Serializing viewmodels and disciplined use of jQuery seems like the best way to keep poo poo responsive but trying to style your poo poo consistently is just such a pain in the rear end it's a wonder anything works at all.

I mean it could clearly be better than we're doing it now. There's just so much groan-factor in a lot of stuff being done right now I seriously want a punching bag for the office some days.

I want IE to literally die. I want idiots that say "hey make your poo poo work on IE" to die since that hamstrings me as far as good debugging. I especially want state governments that think it's better to do poo poo .NET instead of going open source with something that's FREE to eat a thousand dicks.

I want to try to do a sane web project that's not joined at the loving hip to IE before I say "WEB SUX" but gently caress it I'd rather do server/back end poo poo in a JVM language and kick my feet up on the desk already.

Dammit you guys you were right.

gently caress.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Shaggar posted:

like even badlangs like ruby and python can be compiled to jvm byte code and their performance is better for it

At the risk of the hipsters popping their inseams as their thongs twist and skew I really don't get the java hate.

A decent text editor can poo poo out your getter/setter boilerplate and autocomplete is trivial in a decent text editor, let alone an IDE. Macros exist. Being able to read type information for parameters in Someone Else's Code is a loving godsend.

I've also seen the Too Many Layers Enterprise Itis in non Java/JVM projects. I've got so many layers and injected dependencies doing the simplest of crud in my .NET project I wonder why Java gets all the blame.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
IE is the best so just make it work there and have it degrade on substandard browsers like webkit or firefox. ultimately the problem is the web standards are not very good and never have been very good cause they were designed by and for the idiots who use them.

like they litterrally made 2 versions of html. Html (the lovely version) and xhtml (the good version) and web "developers" all purposefully chose the former. That's how bad the environment for web "development" is.

but then with something like .net and wpf/xaml you can write once and have it work right on every platform with the runtime. Its super nice, but lots of stupid people unironicially believed that html was going to replace desktop applications so they put all their effort there which was an obvious mistake.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Shaggar posted:

IE is the best so just make it work there and have it degrade on substandard browsers like webkit or firefox.

huh

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm doing .NET right now and got into it because I did Java so yes I do

:q:

Can you wait a few days? I hired that Resume writer duder but didn't pay to have it done extra fast so it'll be done like friday/next monday.

Also how close to DC are we talking.

afaik the team has been looking for decent java dudes for months so i wouldn't stress about a few days. job's in ashburn, few miles north of dulles

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Shaggar posted:

IE is the best so just make it work there and have it degrade on substandard browsers like webkit or firefox. ultimately the problem is the web standards are not very good and never have been very good cause they were designed by and for the idiots who use them.

like they litterrally made 2 versions of html. Html (the lovely version) and xhtml (the good version) and web "developers" all purposefully chose the former. That's how bad the environment for web "development" is.

older versions of ie (IE8 and previous) don't support XHTML :getin:

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Shaggar posted:

javascript will be replaced w/ language agnostic bytecode and everything will be good.

I see a dream in your post... We can call it "Our Hope"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
here's a video from the official internet explorer youtube channel (????) which explains IE's support for web standards

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I only ever use IE at work since work requires it. I always use chrome on my own.

I haven't kept up with IE in ages - what's the deal with IE lately? Does it actually support plugins and CSS properly?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

At the risk of the hipsters popping their inseams as their thongs twist and skew I really don't get the java hate.

A decent text editor can poo poo out your getter/setter boilerplate and autocomplete is trivial in a decent text editor, let alone an IDE. Macros exist. Being able to read type information for parameters in Someone Else's Code is a loving godsend.

I've also seen the Too Many Layers Enterprise Itis in non Java/JVM projects. I've got so many layers and injected dependencies doing the simplest of crud in my .NET project I wonder why Java gets all the blame.

they don't like java cause its good and popular. many of them get over it once they leave college and actually start learning how to code, but some will always stick with it cause they don't know any better or because they're too stubborn. they don't want to give up their ponys and misogyny and hilarious monkey cheese fadlang conventions.

re c#: I haven't had anything complex enough in c# to need dependency injection, just web services or small mvcs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

older versions of ie (IE8 and previous) don't support XHTML :getin:

ya they do.

Zaxxon posted:

I see a dream in your post... We can call it "Our Hope"

:patriot:

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Nomnom Cookie posted:

afaik the team has been looking for decent java dudes for months so i wouldn't stress about a few days. job's in ashburn, few miles north of dulles

If you have PMs please tell me where to apply or I'll just send you my resume when the RTR guy is done doing his magic.

I'm pretty stoked that there's a chance I could see snow again this Christmas and Florida never again

Also no more javascript :D

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I didn't sanction this, but the anime crowd is the people most strongly resistant to IE usage so I guess it makes sense?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

If you have PMs please tell me where to apply or I'll just send you my resume when the RTR guy is done doing his magic.

I'm pretty stoked that there's a chance I could see snow again this Christmas and Florida never again

Also no more javascript :D

pm me ur resume please thats how i get the bonus

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Shaggar posted:

re c#: I haven't had anything complex enough in c# to need dependency injection, just web services or small mvcs.

My point was more that Java doesn't somehow inherently require having to actually learn DI and layering and doing it, but rather that big projects need it no matter the language, and since C# is so close to Java for people to fanboy on C# because of properties, lambdas and var is kind of dumb.

Unnecessary layers/DI in any language is bad and using it when needed is good. I never got the PROXYFACOTRYFACTORY bullshit being the fault of anyone except a busybody architect.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

pm me ur resume please thats how i get the bonus

Soon as I get it you got it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Shaggar posted:

ya they do.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/11/01/xhtml-in-ie9.aspx

quote:

IE9 is the first version of Internet Explorer to natively support XHTML.

...IE9 will always run documents received with the "application/xhtml+xml" MIME type in IE9 Standards Mode. Not even the developer toolbar can override this behavior. The reason legacy document modes are not supported is because XHTML is new to IE9.

are you saying microsoft would lie to me, shaggar?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Oh my god I'm 11 hours into undoing unnecessary work a coworker did.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

if u load xhtml in ie8 or older it works.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
you got it backwards shaggar. xhtml is the bad one.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Shaggar posted:

if u load xhtml in ie8 or older it works.

if the server tells IE that the document is HTML, IE will render the XHTML as HTML. If the server tells IE it's XHTML, then IE will prompt you to save the document to your download folder.

the thing with 'the horrors of web development' is that historically, 95% of them were 'trying to deal with IE'.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you werent using xhtml, shaggar

you were using html

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

any unpleasantness related to xhtml is entirely self-inflicted

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
if your server returned a text/html mime type, you were using html

even if it validated

even if you used a xhtml doctype

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

just for fun i looked up to see if it would be feasible to do my current thing in c# and the little toy language doesn't even come with a special functions library

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

just for fun i looked up to see if it would be feasible to do my current thing in c# and the little toy language doesn't even come with a special functions library

in fairness c++ makes me go to boost to get digamma/polygamma, but i get lgamma in the c standard library (and all of them in scipy)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

java has that math goop in commons-math

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i just had to finish writing my own malloc implementation in C for some bullshit school thing

of course it is lovely and not nearly as good as actual malloc which is like thousands of lines but thats what they want you to do

here spend a lot of time writing this thing the way i asked. ok, done? ok what you just wrote is worthless because it doesn't even deal with memory fragmentation

this same teacher is all 'if u can do x it would impress me and i have like, mad job connections'

thanks professor if i ever want a job coding C in the shithole south for probably like 40k i'll let you know

if ur coding C and its not on an embedded system u hosed up

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

java has that math goop in commons-math

oh yeah there it is, no polygamma but i only need di- and tri- and its got both

wait boost doesn't have trigamma wtf

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

java wins again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Socracheese posted:

i just had to finish writing my own malloc implementation in C for some bullshit school thing

of course it is lovely and not nearly as good as actual malloc which is like thousands of lines but thats what they want you to do

here spend a lot of time writing this thing the way i asked. ok, done? ok what you just wrote is worthless because it doesn't even deal with memory fragmentation

this same teacher is all 'if u can do x it would impress me and i have like, mad job connections'

thanks professor if i ever want a job coding C in the shithole south for probably like 40k i'll let you know

if ur coding C and its not on an embedded system u hosed up

lol @ u

the point of reimplementing malloc isn't to make something that's as useful as real malloc, it's to prove that you understand the very basics of how malloc works

wah wah wah code written for school assignments wouldn't be useful in the real world!

- you