Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Show your support for the 2nd Amendment by wearing a T-shirt with a picture of a holstered gun on it. Well, I don't see how that could go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

haha LEGAL*

*may be stupid as gently caress

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

quote:

This shirt can be legally worn everywhere

Excellent!

quote:

(with the exception of schools)

Oh, well gently caress that then.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The My First Visual StudioŽ project's been cancelled.

He doesn't provide any details as to why, though the most recent update that provides those license fees is hilarious.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

This is a mess. They seem to actively equate the "vampires" of this comic to people with HIV. Their "protagonist" is an anti-hero that doesn't have the audience rooting for him, or even acknowledging that his existence is abhorrent but necessary. The only woman depicted in the sample artwork is a sex slave giving a blowjob to someone who is so disproportioned that he couldn't even get out of bed in the morning, and she's killed in her underwear to, as far as I can tell, make a point?

Its like they read a bunch of comics, liked them, and then proceeded to miss the point of all of them.

The 3D models are very expensive.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

I must admit - I've somehow managed to remain ignorant of the latest memes and interweb sayings. That said, I am having a rather amusing time trying to understand what that picture means in this context.

I currently think it means : Suck my big purple dick.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

KittyLitter posted:

I must admit - I've somehow managed to remain ignorant of the latest memes and interweb sayings. That said, I am having a rather amusing time trying to understand what that picture means in this context.

I currently think it means : Suck my big purple dick.

It's a character from Doug. His catchphrase was "Very expensive!".

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Veotax posted:

It's a character from Doug. His catchphrase was "Very expensive!".

Well that's a drat letdown and a half. :(

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

KittyLitter posted:

Well that's a drat letdown and a half. :(

I'm such a disappointment. :(

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

the only time you'll ever not be wearing your watch

I am probably some kind of weird freak but I have a pocket watch.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Elissia posted:

Does it match your top hat?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Elissia posted:

Oh boy do I have a kickstarter for you!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

But those cases don't hold pocket watches like campaign watch covers do so they're useless?

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Elissia posted:

yeah.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Aramoro posted:

But those cases don't hold pocket watches like campaign watch covers do so they're useless?

quartz movement, so they don't need to be wound. it's basically a leather bracelet wrapped around a timex.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Aramoro posted:

Good job I posted it in this thread then

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Now that Bee and Puppycat is going to make it I now feel freer to say this (since I did want it to succeed):

what a loving terribly advertised and marketed Kickstarter. Like, everything about the approach of the studio and creators was bad, bad, bad. The KS was carried by fans and Tumblr reblogs and poo poo because the series creators seriously had the most anemic approach I'd ever seen. Utterly too-cool-for-school artist-detached and it's like are you loving serious? Now is not the time to act like a Portlandia extra!

oh hey guys

here's a

picture of a character

yeah

there's a kickstarter

whatever

... Goes the person aiming to get a million loving dollars for a personal project :psyduck:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also you can't get the plush until you are in the $400 rank, and no Blu-ray until like the third stretch goal. Come on guys.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

The My First Visual StudioŽ project's been cancelled.

He doesn't provide any details as to why, though the most recent update that provides those license fees is hilarious.

on account of ->

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pick posted:

Now that Bee and Puppycat is going to make it I now feel freer to say this (since I did want it to succeed):

Credit where it's due, they know their fanbase like the back of their hand.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Credit where it's due, they know their fanbase like the back of their hand.

I kinda think they didn't. The million range should have been pretty trivial given that they had basically the entire Adventure Time fandom to pull from. Those people are carrying a line of Black Milk tights that are like $80 apiece, and B&P couldn't knock making some actual more cartoons out of the park?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Also it looks like you don't actually get to download them until the $35 tier. Everything before that is watching them online (I assume).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

Also it looks like you don't actually get to download them until the $35 tier. Everything before that is watching them online (I assume).

*mumbles at the camera disinterestedly*

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Hell, none of my Adventure Time friends even knew about the Bee & Puppycat Kickstarter until I mentioned it to them. They had seen the video but had heard nothing about the Kickstarter. :psyduck:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

skull wall posted:

on account of ->

Ooh, I see a sailboat in his shirt. Neat!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Noni posted:

Haha :)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Noni posted:

IT'S A SCHOONER!

wait I got that backwards :(

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You dumb little bastard, it's a sailboat.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh hay, just to show how terrible IGG still is, one of their featured things in the latest newsletter is that junk science calorie counter thing. Which is well overfunded. gently caress this earth.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Pick posted:

what a loving terribly advertised and marketed Kickstarter. Like, everything about the approach of the studio and creators was bad, bad, bad. The KS was carried by fans and Tumblr reblogs and poo poo because the series creators seriously had the most anemic approach I'd ever seen. Utterly too-cool-for-school artist-detached and it's like are you loving serious? Now is not the time to act like a Portlandia extra!

oh hey guys

here's a

picture of a character

yeah

there's a kickstarter

whatever

... Goes the person aiming to get a million loving dollars for a personal project :psyduck:.

And all that money will be used for them to all party it up, then ship all the work to Korea to so people who make less in a month than she does in a day can do all the work for them...All while her shitfuck boss goes on camera and stammers about how nobody wants to watch cartoons for women, by women, while he owns an "animation" studio.

This is why I'm not doing animation anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

And all that money will be used for them to all party it up, then ship all the work to Korea to so people who make less in a month than she does in a day can do all the work for them...All while her shitfuck boss goes on camera and stammers about how nobody wants to watch cartoons for women, by women, while he owns an "animation" studio.

This is why I'm not doing animation anymore.

Uh, Ian J who posts here and works on Adventure Time and other shows in that circle has talked about his experiences coordinating with and visiting the Korean studios, and that's just not true.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah ignore that guy, he spends most of his day complaining about fat people in the PYF social justice thread.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I don't even have to try to find these, living in North Carolina makes the local listing a free RSS feed of dumb ideas.

Who needs a sample of the poetry, a pitch video, or any form of content at all? Isn't a vague reference to a popular book enough?

Why do so many people think they can write a novel when their work would get a C in a high school English class? Haven't they read anyone else's novels?

I think someone is trying to capitalize on that sweet Doobie's Dogs money. Worth seeing only for the MAGIC ON A BUN.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Pick posted:

Uh, Ian J who posts here and works on Adventure Time and other shows in that circle has talked about his experiences coordinating with and visiting the Korean studios, and that's just not true.

Can you link to it? Because the Bee and Puppycat stuff is not looking good, especially since they're getting everything done on cells rather than doing it in house with toonboom.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah ignore that guy, he spends most of his day complaining about fat people in the PYF social justice thread.

Oh no you triggered my posting privilege!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

IDK I think this has its own outsider-art brilliance

quote:

The only risk I face is not raising the money. Hence, the kickstarter project.
I will overcome this by getting project funded.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Can you link to it? Because the Bee and Puppycat stuff is not looking good, especially since they're getting everything done on cells rather than doing it in house with toonboom.

IanJ posted:

I visited Rough Draft Korea last month and this is the answer.

All characters, props, effects and BGs are hand-drawn and inked on paper and then assembled and rendered out in Toonz. Toonz is proprietary software that can be used to create Flash or Toon Boom-like animation (vector drawings and such) but it's mostly used in Korean studios to manage hand-drawn animation which is scanned. It's where they do all of the camera moves, matching multiple layers of animation to one scene, color correction etc. They can even render out characters one-by-one and then use that data in 3D space(like the zoom through the sand people in Red Starved). It's pretty sophisticated!

Most studios use Toonz or similar programs, like Toon Boom. IIRC the version of Toonz they use at RDK was originally coded for Studio Ghibli.

But software aside EVERYTHING is drawn by hand and inked by hand. It's not work that anybody could do. The tiny size they clean up these drawings at in such clean detail is astounding and the artists are mega-talented. tbqh I always resented jokes about Korean animation being "slave labor" and after visiting now I really do.

IanJ posted:

Because it's not true. It's a skilled job and these people aren't slaves. They work in an office and are paid. Korea has its own unique animation industry and community and is very proud to have animation as an export. Jokes about "slave labor" are just kind of insulting and pretty short-sighted. It's like saying that any good not produced in the US is done by "slaves" but you know that's not true. It would be too expensive to do in the US, but the people working on these shows make a living wage as animators.

Preproduction is done in the US (storyboards, character, prop and effect designs & color styling for each)

After a storyboard is complete, each panel is turned into a layout drawing(what you called "uncoloured key frames"). (like this Ren & Stimpy drawing) Rough Draft Korea led the way in doing the layout drawings themselves(for the Simpsons & etc), and nowadays it's pretty rare for layouts to be done in the US. Everything pretty much follows the storyboard. Which is why you can tell a Jmoyns episode from a Somvilay episode etc.

IanJ posted:

Oh no- sorry if I was confusing, but on shows like AT or Regular Show or Gravity Falls nothing is vector at any point. They work with completely hand-drawn animation. Toonz is just the program that is used for scanning, coloring, composing and rendering scenes. (It is quite similar to RETAS!Pro.) They don't take the output into Toon Boom or Flash- They complete renders straight from Toonz and send them back to the US. No flash animation needed.

IanJ posted:

Not as far as I know, in my experience working on AT and other shows they don't send it back until it's all inbetweened. They want to nail every shot on their first try and they usually do. You can ask for pencil tests earlier but there's not much point in seeing the layouts unless it's your first ever time working with the studio. For instance I requested to see the layouts when I was working with an overseas studio on the pilot I made just to see if they got the characters right. But that was a special case.

Nah, pretty much the only people I met that use Cintiq are the background painters and colorists. Drawing and animating on paper is faster. Maybe they will start doing it all digitally someday but they would have to retrain everyone and reorganize their pipeline. Rough Draft Korea has been drawing the Simpsons by hand for decades now and I think they just have their system that works. I don't know if they do any completely Flash shows at RDK but I know its not uncommon for that work to be done in other countries... like Canada, for instance.

This is a pic from inside one of the studios I visited(not RDK, but their artists work at very similar workstations).

Pretty normal, right? Kind of like pictures you'd see of Disney Feature Animation back in the day.

(I would share some of the pictures I took of drawings being done but they're spoilers.)

Pick has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Nov 15, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Aw, you college kids are adorable. :allears:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

I almost wish I hadn't found the poetry samples.

This 'publisher' she has lined up must be Lulu.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sweet, thanks man, that's pretty enlightening stuff. I'll keep reading into it, though I still think that animating Bee and Puppycat on paper in Korea is a waste of time and money when people over here have access to Flash and Toonboom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And all that money will be used for them to all party it up, then ship all the work to Korea to so people who make less in a month than she does in a day can do all the work for them
How did you manage to post this from the 1970s? You know South Korea's been a first-world nation for a couple of decades now, right? It's not some backwater assfuck stilt-shack nation.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Nov 15, 2013