Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cody's Disasterkick makes me mark out. I loving love Cody Rhodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

What are some of your favorite signature moves (excluding finishers)? The two that immediately come to mind for me are Savage's hair-pull hangman and Ted DiBiase's fist drop. What are some of yours?

Undertaker - Over-the-top-rope Plancha
Super Nova - DDT-Stunner-Leg Drop combo
Tajiri - Tarantula & Buzzsaw Kick
El Generico - Between the ringpost DDT

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I miss Punk's Super Combo. Punch-Punch-Kick-Spinning Backfist!

Has any other wrestler used a striking combo like that as a signature move?

Punk lifted that from KENTA, along with the GTS. His moveset was basically all puro stuff when he first debuted in WWE, which was odd.

I kinda dig his ugly elbow drop. Then again, I also like Kojima's, which is also clumsy-looking and gets no air, because it seems like a reasonable move to stun a dazed opponent with.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Perigryn posted:

Wonder how the updated version Alvarez has been working on will be like...

I think I remember him acknowleging them, blaming some of them on something, and mentioning that he's fixed them, but I'm not positive.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

MassRafTer posted:

Tell us of Lex. Tell us any Lex stories he may have, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Following up on this my dad was at a trade show in Ohio in 93. He went to get more papers for his booth when Lex pointed at him, started flexing, and did the bar bending motion. He was just playing up to the crowd obviously but that's pretty much the best interaction.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Bret running chest first into the turnbuckle. I know it's really stupid and dangerous, but as a kid who loved Bret I would get really sad and worried that he was getting beat up so bad he couldn't even flip around.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tokelau All Star posted:

Bret running chest first into the turnbuckle. I know it's really stupid and dangerous, but as a kid who loved Bret I would get really sad and worried that he was getting beat up so bad he couldn't even flip around.

God yes. Especially when the cameramen were canny enough to have a camera on the turnbuckle he was running into. Because he loving NAILED those turnbuckles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Was it Christian who did the baseball-slide to uppercut on a first-rope-hung opponent? That's a pretty sweet middle-match move.

Also, Foley doing the 2nd/top-rope hangman on himself was pretty sweet, of course until those pesky German roadies messed up Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy's good looks by tightening the ropes too much :argh:

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay I have a pseudo-poll question of my own: There are plenty of stellar workers with boring finishers, but what about less-than-great wrestlers with a great finisher? First one that comes to mind is Gangrel's DDT.

Kizarny's weird rolling double-arm DDT was cool.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

What were the best seats you have had at a wrestlemens show?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I had first row for the raw where Lawler came back last year

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Front row for ECW on TNN taping, and front row for a WWF house show in 1996. Salvatore Sincere took a bump on the outside in front of me and left a giant oil slick that guys kept almost slipping on all night.

EDIT: I had to look up the WWF card, holy poo poo is it dreadful other than the main event:

quote:

Brakkus defeated Dr. X
Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon defeated Marty Jannetty & Leif Cassidy
The Sultan defeated Jesse Jammes
Savio Vega defeated Salvatore Sincere
Marc Mero defeated WWF IC Champion Hunter Hearst Helmsley via disqualification
Razor Ramon II & Diesel II defeated the Grimm Twins
Billy Gunn defeated Bart Gunn
Shawn Michaels defeated Goldust

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 21, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, the Furnas/LaFon vs New Rockers might've been OK?

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay I have a pseudo-poll question of my own: There are plenty of stellar workers with boring finishers, but what about less-than-great wrestlers with a great finisher? First one that comes to mind is Gangrel's DDT.

Lash Leroux's "Whiplash 00'" was a pretty cool face lock/russian legsweep combo that I always dug, especially with the rollover pin that followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xma7_W_TmtQ

(jump to :50 in the vid)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I was third row Luger's 2nd last WWF house show before jumping to WCW>

WWF in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada - Sept. 1, 1995 posted:

Hakushi def Duke Drose
Bret Hart def Isaac Yankem DDS by DQ
Bertha Faye def Alundra Blayze
Fatu fought Waylon Mercy to a double count-out
Jean Pierre Laffiette def Bob Holly
Shawn Michaels & Lex Luger def WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Yokozuna by DQ

Got to slap Michaels on the back.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CapCityGoofBall posted:

front row ringside to a bunch of ROH shows and 2 smackdowns

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

First row of a second section opposite the Ovaltron Smackdown set's ramp at the Tacomadome when we killed the invasion dead. I was close enough to yell to Kanyon and he yelled back. It was rad. I also saw Billy Kidman win the cruiserweight title and I was a bit of a Kidman mark.

Wait. That doesn't make any sense, 'cause the invasion-killing show was a Raw. Maybe I went to two shows.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Second to last row in the nosebleeds for No Mercy 2004.

Also first row at some random NJ indie show when I was 11. I went to give Balls Mahoney's a high five after his match. He told me to go gently caress myself.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I had second row at a WCW house show that ended up being Jericho's last or second to last show with the company. I think he and Benoit tagged vs. Mysterio and Kidman, but it may have been slightly different it was so long ago. I think the main was DDP vs. Sting.

Yep

quote:

Event Data
Name of the event: WCW House Show
Date: 06.06.1999
Promotion: World Championship Wrestling
Type: House Show
Results
Card
Card with guide
Feuds
Champions
Similar events
Results
Singles Match
Chris Adams defeats Vampiro
Singles Match
The Cat defeats Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Singles Match
Juventud Guerrera defeats Kaz Hayashi
Hardcore Match
Bam Bam Bigelow defeats Hak
Tag Team Match
Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr. defeat Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho
Singles Match
Sting defeats Diamond Dallas Page

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Second row for Joe/Kobashi.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I was on camera nearly the whole show for a back to back Thunder taping.
The way they filmed it, it made no sense watching later.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Bigass Moth posted:

I had second row at a WCW house show that ended up being Jericho's last or second to last show with the company. I think he and Benoit tagged vs. Mysterio and Kidman, but it may have been slightly different it was so long ago. I think the main was DDP vs. Sting.

Yep

I was there!

Our group popped huge for Doug Dillinger, and he gave us a little wave and nod.

I had floor seats for a July 2000 Thunder taping, you can imagine how great that was.

The taping was marred by technical difficulties (besides Judy Bagwell being booked) and was pretty awful. Still have some of the shiny glitter that fell when TAFKAPI entered, somewhere. I may or may not be vaguely visible, depending on the stellar WCW camerawork. I should look.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Cromulent posted:

Brakkus defeated Dr. X
Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon defeated Marty Jannetty & Leif Cassidy
The Sultan defeated Jesse Jammes
Savio Vega defeated Salvatore Sincere
Marc Mero defeated WWF IC Champion Hunter Hearst Helmsley via disqualification
Razor Ramon II & Diesel II defeated the Grimm Twins
Billy Gunn defeated Bart Gunn
Shawn Michaels defeated Goldust

Gee, and people really wonder why the WWF almost went bankrupt during this period?
2 years before or 6 years afterward Shawn/Goldust might have been okay, but they really never had much chemistry.

Anyway, my 2 best seats were luxury box seats :smug: given to us for free by my stepdad's boss (Mercedes-Benz dealership owner), the first:

quote:

Date: Tue, Jun 19th 2007
Venue: United States Charlotte Bobcats Arena, Charlotte, North Carolina
Promotion: WWE
Attendance: unknown
Matches for Smackdown! Taping
1 Chavo Guerrero & Jamie Noble def. (pin) Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore 06:13
2 Mark Henry def. (KO) Sho Funaki 02:15
3 Matt Hardy def. (pin) Finlay 19:34
4 Chris Masters def. (sub) Danny Shanley 03:44
5 Batista & Ric Flair def. (pin) Edge & Montel Vontavious Porter 13:49

WWE ECW Taping
Date: Tue, Jun 19th 2007
Attendance: unknown

1 Chris Benoit def. (sub) Elijah Burke 06:38
2 The Boogeyman def. (pin) Sean Alexander 00:25
3 Kevin Thorn def. (pin) Tommy Dreamer 03:19
4 Johnny Nitro def. (pin) Nunzio 03:06
5 C. M. Punk def. (pin) Marcus Cor Von 06:46

Yes, I certainly never expected to see Benoit's last match ever in person :v:
I remember the Matt Hardy/Finlay match being pretty good. It certainly held the very non-Smark crowd at attention for the 20 minutes (before the brand split, Charlotte crowds were almost always at least 50% old-school NWA fans there to worship Flair and boo whoever the kids liked...this show was at least 80% Cena marks). My stepdad attended with me and left after the opening Flair segment, satisfied.

quote:

Date: Mon, Nov 26th 2007
Attendance: 6,900

1 Jeff Hardy & Triple H def. (pin) Snitsky & Umaga 10:34
2 Cody Rhodes & Hardcore Holly & Jim Duggan & Super Crazy def. (pin) Lance Cade & Robbie McAllister & Rory McAllister & Trevor Murdoch 03:25 8-person tag
3 Chris Jericho def. (pin) Santino Marella 03:49
4 Mr. Kennedy def. (pin) Brian Kendrick 01:19
5 Mickie James def. (pin) Maria Kanellis 01:58
6 Ric Flair def. (pin) Randy Orton 10:30

Oh my god did this show suck poo poo.
RAW from late 2002-2003 pretty much ended my hardcore TV-watching fandom but RAW in 2007 was so bad it killed my hardcore wrestling fandom for good.

Notable for being Jericho's original WWE return after a 2 year absence...which bombed pretty hard initially because the crowd of 80% Cena marks apparently had no idea who he was.
He got a pop for the Cookie Monster in his "Me Want Title Match" promo and went he hit Santino with the Codebreaker, but otherwise nada and he seemed genuinely bothered by the lukewarm reaction.

On the plus side though, we actually got a fully-catered buffet in the box this time and no less than RON SIMMONS visited our box to shake hands and give autographs (still have his written on my cocktail napkin).
I'll never forget shaking his hand and telling him what a honor it was to meet the first Black World Champion.
He seemed genuinely touched that I said that, since the Cena mark crowd seemed only to know him as a walking :drat: meme at that point :smith:
I went with my sister and at least she (as a casual fan throughout the 90's) knew him as "Faarooq".
I'm glad I had that once-of-a-lifetime opportunity to meet Ron and lift his spirits because otherwise this show was a waste of an awesome free buffet.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 21, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

whatsabattle posted:

I had floor seats for a July 2000 Thunder taping, you can imagine how great that was.

ProFight DB posted:

Jeff Jarrett Def. (Pin) Booker T. "Bunkhouse"

What the hell is a Bunkhouse match?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

whatsabattle posted:

ICE TRAIN was still on WCW Television in the last year of its existence?!!
:psyduck:

What's wrong with me that I consider that even more insane than Judy Bagwell wrestling???
:psyduck:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Memento posted:

What the hell is a Bunkhouse match?

A Bunkhouse Brawl is just a hardcore falls-count-anywhere match except it's in the south. :v: Usually it involves at least one of the following: multi-man teams, Dusty Rhodes, and someone wearing kneepads over their jeans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Solomonic posted:

A Bunkhouse Brawl is just a hardcore falls-count-anywhere match except it's in the south. :v: Usually it involves at least one of the following: multi-man teams, Dusty Rhodes, and someone wearing kneepads over their jeans.

I believe the kneepads over the jeans is what makes it a Bunkhouse Brawl. Possibly also if you wear cowboy boots.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I was present for David Arquette winning the title. Like 30 rows back, but since it was a minor league hockey arena there aren't many bad seats and I was elevated so I could see over everyone.

Also this show, I was 7 and on the entrance aisle, which was less then 10 feet wide, so I was super close to all the wrestlers. I believe second or third row from the ring. The Nasty Boys and the Rockers brawled on the outside and when Shawn had Knobbs against the guard rail and I covered his face up with my program so Shawn could hit him more. Knobbs grabbed it, turned around, ripped it in half and threw it back at me. Then he yelled in my face and Shawn took him back to the ring.

WWF @ Syracuse, NY - War Memorial - November 17, 1991 (matinee)
Chris Chavis pinned Skinner
The Undertaker pinned Davey Boy Smith after hitting him with the urn
The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers
Roddy Piper (sub. for Sid Justice) defeated Jake Roberts
WWF IC Champion Bret Hart defeated the Barbarian (sub. for the Warlord) after about 15 minutes
The Big Bossman pinned IRS with a roll up; IRS had originally won the match by holding onto the ropes but the referee had the bout continue
The Nasty Boys defeated Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty after using a foriegn object

I was loving pissed The Rockers lost, even after I helped.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I was third row at a WCW PPV in 1998; I forget which specific one it was, but the opening match was ICP and Vampiro against Kidman, Rey, and some other guy. It may have been Fall Brawl.

I was second or third row for the NJPW show in Philly, and you can see me in the crowd during the Rhyno/Makabe match.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That was Fall Brawl 99. 3.25 stars!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

The American Dream posted:

The Nasty Boys and the Rockers brawled on the outside and when Shawn had Knobbs against the guard rail and I covered his face up with my program so Shawn could hit him more. Knobbs grabbed it, turned around, ripped it in half and threw it back at me. Then he yelled in my face and Shawn took him back to the ring.

I was loving pissed The Rockers lost, even after I helped.

You simply causing a Nasty Boy to get smashed in the face a few more times makes you a hero enough for me. :patriot:

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Okay, while I started watching WWF wrestling when I was a kid in the heydays of Hulk Hugan and Jimmy Snuka (when I was six I got these huge not-really-bendy figures of Andre and Snuka for xmas), and I watched up until right after the Ultimate Warrior got slammed into a casket, stopped for a few years, then got back into WWF when Smackdown hit network TV, my first wrestling show was actually a Jersey All Pro Show in Rayway, where I had bleacher seats. I don't remember much about the card, but that's where I first saw The Osirian Portal and became a fan of them for life.

I got front row seats for Evolve 2 (where I first saw Chuck Taylor) and Evolve 3. Year after that, I saw TNA on tour first in bleacher seats, then second row the second time around. Finally saw Smackdown at the Prudential Center in 2012 about 10 or 12 rows back from the ring, then Raw that year in East Rutherford (about the same amount of rows back I think) with friends, then 3rd row seats for the first 2 nights of King of Trios. Last year, I saw Chikara once at Wrestlecon, twice in Easton, and front row for Wrestling is Cool twice.

The neatest wrestler interactions from my seat were both at Wrestlecon where I got a victory high-five from Jushin Liger, and Tim Donst shutting down my "Booo! You LOST, Donst!" with a "I may've lost the match, but YOU lose at life!" :D

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

First card

WCW @ Des Moines, IA - Veterans Memorial Coliseum - May 14, 1999
Chris Adams defeated Vampiro
La Parka & Silver King defeated El Dandy & Super Calo
Hugh Morrus defeated Jerry Flynn
Raven defeated Hak in a hardcore match
Konnan defeated Disco Inferno
WCW Cruiserweight Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. & Billy Kidman defeated Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko
Sting defeated Ric Flair

I remember this show being awesome but I was 11 so that might not be the case. Sting and Flair wrestled for awhile and Sandman and Raven beat the hell out of each other.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

May 9, 1996
Bob Holly defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
The Smoking Gunns defeated Samu & the Tahitian Warrior (Billy Gunn's return from injury)
Justin Bradshaw defeated Barry Horowitz
Jerry Lawler defeated Razor Ramon; Mr. Perfect was the guest referee for the bout
Marc Mero defeated Mankind via disqualification
WWF Tag Team Champions Skip & Zip defeated Henry & Phinneas Godwinn
The Ultimate Warrior pinned Vader

Weird. I'd said for years that Warrior was gone by this show, but apparently I was thinking of the Goldust/Vader match from the other WWF show I saw.

July 27, 1997
Savio Vega & Miguel Perez defeated the Headbangers
Rockabilly defeated Flash Funk
Brian Pillman defeated Jesse Jammes
Henry & Phinneas Godwinn defeated Blackjack Windham & Blackjack Bradshaw
Ken Shamrock defeated WWF European Champion Davey Boy Smith via disqualification
Vader defeated Goldust
WWF IC Champion Owen Hart defeated Hunter Hearst Helmsley and Mankind when Hart pinned Mankind
Steve Austin pinned Bret Hart
WWF World Champion the Undertaker & Legion of Doom defeated Farooq, Kama, & D-Lo Brown

gently caress yes I saw Austin/Hart.

Also there was a Thunder taping in 2000. It was at least as bad as that sounds. Vampiro/Crowbar was a decent match, at least. And I saw Terry Funk! With his pants around his ankles for some reason.
Oh, and my seats for each one sucked.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I was at Backlash 2000. I had lovely seats. I was looking over the card and it's a drat shame that I remember almost none of it. I was 14. I mostly remember Big Show coming out as Hogan, and the burnt DX express. And Bob Backlund and Billy Corgan in the halls.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Rebellion 3/11/2001
Intercontinental Title Steel Cage Match
Edge (c) defeats Christian (12:49)
Singles Match
Scotty 2 Hotty defeats The Hurricane (8:55)
Singles Match
The Big Show defeats Diamond Dallas Page (3:15)
WCW World Tag Team Title Three Way Elimination Match
The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley & D-Von Dudley) (c) defeat The APA (Bradshaw & Faarooq) and The Hardy Boyz (Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy) (12:01)
- The Hardy Boyz (Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy) eliminateThe APA (Bradshaw & Faarooq) (5:28)
- The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley & D-Von Dudley) eliminateThe Hardy Boyz (Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy) (12:01)
Singles Match
William Regal defeats Tajiri (5:55)
Chris Jericho (c) defeats Kurt Angle (14:55)
Tag Team Match (Special Referee: Trish Stratus)
Lita & Torrie Wilson defeat Mighty Molly & Stacy Keibler (4:16)
WWF World Heavyweight Title Match
Steve Austin (c) defeats The Rock (22:09)
There was a dark match of The Impact Players vs Billy and Chuck that I remember being awesome.

RHX
Oct 20, 2005
First show and also best seats (not counting small local indie shows) where I was front row for the following:

WWE (Raw & ECW) @ Newcastle, England - Metro Radio Arena - November 9, 2006
Cryme Tyme defeated Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch following the G9
Hardcore Holly pinned Rene Dupree with the Alabama Slam
Mickie James & Torrie Wilson defeated WWE Women's Champion Lita & Victoria when Torrie pinned Victoria
Sabu defeated Kevin Thorn via submission with the Camel Clutch
WWE Raw Tag Team Champions Ric Flair & Roddy Piper, Robbie & Rory McAllister defeated Kenny, Mikey, Nicky & Johnny when Flair scored the pin after the Highlanders hit the Scot Drop
WWE IC Champion Johnny Nitro defeated Jeff Hardy, Shelton Benjamin, and Carlito Caribbean Cool by pinning Benjamin after Hardy hit the Swanton on Benjamin and was thrown to the floor
Test pinned Tommy Dreamer with a boot to the face and the TKO
WWE World Champion John Cena, Triple H, & Shawn Michaels defeated Edge, Randy Orton, & Umaga when Cena pinned Edge with the FU

Pretty average show wrestling-wise, was good to see Piper, the IC four-way was a drat good match, but the memory that stands out most for me is holding my hand out to high-five Trevor Murdoch after his match (I was a Murdoch mark), who proceeded to spit into his hand and high-five me. Some fantastic (if slightly disgusting) heel work there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This was my first card. I don't really remember poo poo about it but now I wish I did.

WCW @ Hampton, VA - August 14, 1994 (3,500)
Brian Pillman defeated Bobby Eaton
WCW TV Champion Lord Steven Regal defeated Brad Armstrong
The Guardian Angel defeated Tex Slazenger (sub. for Vader who was on a Japanese tour)
The Patriot & Marcus Alexander Bagwell defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Paul Orndorff & Paul Roma in a non-title match
Dustin Rhodes defeated Arn Anderson via disqualification
WCW US Champion Steve Austin defeated Ricky Steamboat at around the 30-minute mark
Sting defeated Ric Flair

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The worst show I ever went to was this. Horrible from top to bottom.
http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/king-of-the-ring-3902-137.html

I haven't been to a live event since. So jaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

RHX posted:

First show and also best seats (not counting small local indie shows) where I was front row
On a side note, how did you get front row tickets?
I go to the UK shows every April but no matter what site I use (ticketmaster, seetickets etc) I've always been offered tickets in the same place (lower tier, facing the camera, with varying rows). Can't ever seem to find tickets for anywhere else no matter how early I look!