Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Yesssss join the nail care thread. Become one of us... 420 paint your nails errday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've been thinking about getting a manicure but I'm not sure anybody would even notice

Though I guess feelin' all confident in my sexy self would be worth it

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Conquistador posted:

I've been thinking about getting a manicure but I'm not sure anybody would even notice

don't get a manicure, buy some polish and do it yourself

join uuuuusss

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

How big my magnum dong is of course.

I miss Mosaic Perception, in a weird kind of way

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Al Borland posted:

Gardeners tip, take a bar of soap and dig a lil soap under your nails. Keeps em clean.

Whoa, this changes everything!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Al Borland posted:

Gardeners tip, take a bar of soap and dig a lil soap under your nails. Keeps em clean.

Are women not allowed to wear gloves?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Are women not allowed to wear gloves?

You sometimes get dirt inside your glove which will still dirty your nails. As a woman that has done landscaping work for a company, the gloves only go so far.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Conquistador posted:

real talk time: after I started doing my nails my self esteem sky rocketed. Plus it encouraged me to better myself in other areas (hair, makeup, weight...) and so now I'm feeling good about myself and looking better every day.

But you could just do your nails. Do your naaaaails. It'll start out so slow, just one or two bottles...and then another because it's pretty...and oh lookit that one over there...it's just one more...just...one...more...

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

real talk time: after I started doing my nails my self esteem sky rocketed. Plus it encouraged me to better myself in other areas (hair, makeup, weight...) and so now I'm feeling good about myself and looking better every day.

But you could just do your nails. Do your naaaaails. It'll start out so slow, just one or two bottles...and then another because it's pretty...and oh lookit that one over there...it's just one more...just...one...more...

qft

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
okay so for someone maybe getting into nail polish, what do you need to start with? are base coats/top coats/whatever worth it?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

toe knee hand posted:

okay so for someone maybe getting into nail polish, what do you need to start with? are base coats/top coats/whatever worth it?

They help to avoid staining and seem to have extended the lives of my better nail polishes, although the cheap ones always chipped base or not after like 2-3 days.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Base and top coats - yes. Unless you like nail polish staining your nails grody colors (although some will do that anyways v :shobon: v ) or chipping shortly after putting them on or staying wet and dentable forever and ever, go with base and top coat every time. It's worth it to get Seche Vite for the top coat - dries super fast and shiny shiny shiny, good to go

For polish, go drug store at first. I like Sinful Colors, $1.99 a pop and a HUGE selection. Wet'n'Wild range from $3.99-.99, but I find their quality to be mighty iffy. Spoiled is awful awful awful awful awful awful awful

For slightly higher drug store, Revlon and Cover Girl are pretty good. I don't like L'Oreal at all, and I've never used Maybelline

If you like it, sky's the fuckin limit because then you start getting into the salon stuff (China Glaze, Zoya, etc.) and then the indies (there be dragons in this area)

COME TO THE POLISH THREAD SO WE CAN SPERG AT YOU MORE

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

I shelled a bunch of pecans the other day and it hosed up my nails hard core. Now they're all stained and nasty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I cannot for the life of me muster a single poo poo about my nails :(

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Women's Rights? posted:

Base and top coats - yes. Unless you like nail polish staining your nails grody colors (although some will do that anyways v :shobon: v ) or chipping shortly after putting them on or staying wet and dentable forever and ever, go with base and top coat every time. It's worth it to get Seche Vite for the top coat - dries super fast and shiny shiny shiny, good to go

For polish, go drug store at first. I like Sinful Colors, $1.99 a pop and a HUGE selection. Wet'n'Wild range from $3.99-.99, but I find their quality to be mighty iffy. Spoiled is awful awful awful awful awful awful awful

For slightly higher drug store, Revlon and Cover Girl are pretty good. I don't like L'Oreal at all, and I've never used Maybelline

If you like it, sky's the fuckin limit because then you start getting into the salon stuff (China Glaze, Zoya, etc.) and then the indies (there be dragons in this area)

COME TO THE POLISH THREAD SO WE CAN SPERG AT YOU MORE

thanks for the intro

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The second I even look at a wrench or a roll of gaff tape my nails all spontaneously chip and break so I don't bother. Other ladies have really nice nails and I live vicariously through thems.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
dudes wearing nail polish: gently caress 'man glaze', go for the real poo poo

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Sabel posted:

dudes wearing nail polish: gently caress 'man glaze', go for the real poo poo

Man Glaze is awesome though! It's so opaque you only need one coat, and it's matte! Yay! plus the bottles have awesome artwork

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
http://manglaze.com/products/matte-nail-polish-gently caress-off-and-dye-pink
hahahahAHHAHAHAHAHAhaha oh my god im dyingg cloud help

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
How long does it typically take to get the hang of painting with your non dominant hand? I like painting my left nails but my right nails always look so much worse.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
it took me like a month before my nails stopped looking retarded every time I painted them with my dumb hand

GO TO THE NAIL THREAD there are so many super smart nail ladies there plus there's lots of nail art and spergin go go go go

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is nail stain a thing? I have a "revlon crazy shine" nail buffer that really does make your nails super shiny. And it doesn't chip or grow out weird either. Then I accidentally stuck my finger in hair dye and didn't wipe it off for a minute, leading to having a brown nail for a few weeks. Combined with the nail buffer, I had a shiny coloured nail that grew out and faded gracefully. The only problem being that the tint was brown rather than something pretty.

It seems like a pretty dye could be great for ladies that don't want to fuss with their nails, or have jobs where polish just chips instantly and makes the whole thing pointless. But a stain + buffing could be as tough as naked nails. Is that a thing?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
totally a Thing

I have colors that'll stain my nails green or blue or whatever despite two coats of base coat. some are just stainers, but I don't care because mine are painted all the time so no one sees it anyways

nail dye would be a bitch to do because nails peel or are weak or are ridged so it would be really hard to ensure that the dye is evenly distributed through the nail so it doesn't look patchy. if you want painted nails but don't wanna do them all the time go gel, gel nails will last a good long time

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
That nail care thread is more intimidating than walking into an Ulta like I own the place and just going to town

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Are the shellac nails worth it?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Ulta is expensive. Go to Sally's like you own the place. just kick the door in and be all "GIMME POLISH BITCHES" and watch them flee before you

Gravitee posted:

Are the shellac nails worth it?

i dunno I never go to salons anymore except to wax up the ol' brows every couple of months

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I just go to the weave shops by my house, they have Sinful, Klean Color and NYX for a dollar a bottle, plus a lot of other brands. Not the best quality polishes, but a manicure never lasts long on me anyway and the colors are fun.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
don't get kleancolor it smells like death and rear end and balls all rolled together and topped with gasoline

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I haven't noticed the smell being worse than any other brand, but the quality varies a lot from bottle to bottle, some can be quite gloppy. Their Military Green is one of my go-tos, though.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

"Yeah, it's PINK. Pink like the head of your DICK. Cause you're a MAN." *grunts, flips off the camera*

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Espy posted:

You sometimes get dirt inside your glove which will still dirty your nails. As a woman that has done landscaping work for a company, the gloves only go so far.

Huh, consider me corrected. I hate gardening, especially weeding, so I just go through the motions and get it done.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Seriousish question from a guy:

A lot of the talk in here has been about stereotypically "girly" stuff like nails and shoes. Is part of irony, where everyone is exaggerating interest in these things because? Or is this like really what women mostly talk about with each other? :iiam:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

glowing-fish posted:

A lot of the talk in here has been about stereotypically "girly" stuff like nails and shoes. Is part of irony, where everyone is exaggerating interest in these things because? Or is this like really what women mostly talk about with each other? :iiam:

you know that bechdel test thing? the reason so few movies pass is because this is what women really talk about.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

boom boom boom posted:

you know that bechdel test thing? the reason so few movies pass is because this is what women really talk about.

Actually two women talking about makeup passes the Bechdel test. Do I need to mansplain what the Bechdel test actually is? :mansplain:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

well the rest of the site is for talking about stuff other than stereotypically "girly" stuff

also in my opinion guys should paint their nails too

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Girls who don't know each other very well talk to each other about girly things sometimes. Same as dudes with sports or whatever, it's common ground.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
it's hardly been "mostly" girly stuff.

but why it's been girly stuff at all is probably because where else do we talk about it? most of my posts are about hockey but i have hockey threads for that so i'm not gonna try to turn this thread into a thread about hockey.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

glowing-fish posted:

Actually two women talking about makeup passes the Bechdel test. Do I need to mansplain what the Bechdel test actually is? :mansplain:

no, i mean that's movies don't have those scenes. because they'l only be of interest to the women in the audience, who will then try to have a conversation with the characters on screen like a bird trying to mate with it's reflection in a mirror

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Crow Jane posted:

Girls who don't know each other very well talk to each other about girly things sometimes. Same as dudes with sports or whatever, it's common ground.

I actually don't know how to talk to guys either because they usually want to talk about boring stuff. Anyway, now that I have established myself as asocial with both genders, I'll let the conversation continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

women are expected to look good but god forbid talking about it you're just a fuggen idiot

• Locked thread