Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, the CG on Davy Jones is still tough to match even today. I remember they did put a little makeup around Bill Nighy's eyes, just in case they couldn't get the digital version's to look convincing enough, but they didn't end up needing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hTkIIvApmok#t=410

This deleted scene is a really good example of Nighy on set. The suit looks silly, but man does he give the performance his all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This deleted scene is a really good example of Nighy on set. The suit looks silly, but man does he give the performance his all.

I want to watch a Dogville version of Pirates now.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Bill Nighy was also the baddie in Rango and the performance capture was even more minimalistic despite playing an evil rattlesnake from hell with a gatling gun for a tail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srNcuhne0Y8&t=114s

Rangowns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rango is fantastic....but I would kill to see the Actors version of the film.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Desperado Bones posted:

:swoon: Oh, I would adore to have these in my wall!

Hey, I actually have a few extras still wrapped up that they handed out in IMAX premieres. I could mail you a few :)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Young Freud posted:

It's very likely its been settled, considering the open letter and Lee's Facebook post which instigated it have been taken down. His Twitter posts are still out there for perpetuity, reminding everyone forever of how big an rear end in a top hat Lee is.

That or the Spike's lawyers got involved and the artist was served a cease and desist.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
From a few pages back, but on the subject of movie posters...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Holy poo poo.

To contribute: A fine entry in modern-day skellyposters:

I think more posters should have skeletons in them. Even if it doesn't fit the tone. If GBS 2.1 wasn't scary, I might crudely knock some up and start a photoshop thread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Give it a try. Everyone loves skeletons and GBS 2.1 was created by giving GBS spooky new rules. Skeletons are spooky so it'll probably work.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 2, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah, skeletons own bones

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah, skeletons own bones

Not so much own as are a requirement for unlife.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

El Negocio posted:

Those car logos are ridiculous even by the standards of internet minimalists since most of the logos were already minimalist in the first place. And the ones that weren't, like Bentley and Cadillac, look like poo poo compared to the originals. The Porsche and Cadillac ones are also virtually identical.

The Saul Bass comparison is also absurd since he used curves and motion in his logos as much as possible.

Did Disney hire Saul Bass to do their original Epcot logos, or did they just rip off his style wholesale?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

zenintrude posted:

Did Disney hire Saul Bass to do their original Epcot logos, or did they just rip off his style wholesale?

The EPCOT logos were created by Norm Inouye, who had a similar aesthetic and is better known for the Firebird logo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Rango is fantastic....but I would kill to see the Actors version of the film.

That behind the scenes feature was one of the best ive ever seen. Didn't they say they shot the entire movie that way?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Bill Nighy was also the baddie in Rango and the performance capture was even more minimalistic despite playing an evil rattlesnake from hell with a gatling gun for a tail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srNcuhne0Y8&t=114s

Rangowns.

The Dogville version of Rango is now my favorite version of Rango.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Juan, if you see this and you decide to sue Spike, tell him you will only settle for his Knicks seats just to gently caress with him. Thank you.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zenintrude posted:

The only shot glasses I've ever bought were a set of four with some of these logos adorning them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It seems difficult to argue with a concept like "Scarlett Johansson is an alien who eats people".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm thinking Ryan Reynolds wouldn't argue with that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cacator posted:

It seems difficult to argue with a concept like "Scarlett Johansson is an alien who eats people".

So this is a Species reboot?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cacator posted:

From what I'm hearing, you can read the book right now and learn nothing about the film except where it's set and that Johansson plays an alien.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I always get really confused when I see anything by Glazer cos I keep thinking "the guy from Delocated made this???"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Saw this plastered on the wall of a sub sandwich shop yesterday, and though it doesn't reflect the tone of the cartoon at all, I kind of like it. Not enough to want to see it regularly, but in passing, it's OK.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hahaha. It works if your scrolling down and see the ears first, but it only gives you a chuckle. Seeing the full thing at once wouldn't have half the effect.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Darthemed posted:

it doesn't reflect the tone of the cartoon at all

Boy, you can say that again.

"Things were never quite the same at Disney after they remade Steamboat Willie as a horror movie."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Disney's Suicide Mouse.avi

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think the fact that it doesn't fit is the joke, guys.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love this I just can't explain why.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I'm getting a big Gilbert Grape vibe off of Leo in that, which is helping me imagine this film as a successor to it.

vvv I hate the Catching Fire poster. It's the boring, safe approach to that film and it lacks any sort of heart whatsoever. It's literally a picture of her face with the film title because that's all it needs to be to put asses in seats. Anything would have been better than that. Maybe I'm just grumpy from having it stare me in the face every time my train stops.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 3, 2013

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm a sucker for movie posters with an in-universe bent, so I would have liked to have seen Catching Fire posters done from the perspective of the Capitol. Jennifer Lawrence broodingly about to fire an arrow with the bird logo in the back is ok, but core to the story is how Katniss is faking a likability aspect. Jennifer Lawrence is a stone cold fox, and I think propagandist posters of her being fake-bubbly and dressed to the nines would have been interesting. Instead, most of the posters are "Stare at camera, brood, wearing a wetsuit."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The teaser poster and a few more were exactly what you wanted.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I love this I just can't explain why.

Jonah Hill got fat again?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's like Christian Bale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird because he's going to have to slim down again for 22 Jump St. You'd think he's rich enough to not slip back like that.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey, I actually have a few extras still wrapped up that they handed out in IMAX premieres. I could mail you a few :)

Really? I wish I could say yes if I wasn't so broken :smith: (They would have to be sent all the way to Mexico)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of weird because he's going to have to slim down again for 22 Jump St. You'd think he's rich enough to not slip back like that.

Let me tell you all about Craft services.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Was just checking the Wikipedia article on Spike Lee's Oldboy, and there's some bad news and some good news in regards to the Juan Luis Garcia story. Bad news is (and sorry if this has already been posted, didn't see it while reading this thread) that Lee doubled down and [url=http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/28/why-dont-you-pay-me-for-your-stupid-text-on-thanksgiving-day-spike-lee-digs-deep/]actually said Garcia should pay him[/ur] for the offense of sending him a letter on Thanksgiving. In Lee's defense, it seems like an indignant "If anything HE'S the one in the wrong!" reaction, rather than a serious call for Garcia to give him money.

The good news is that Oldboy is loving bombing and didn't even make back 5% of its budget in its first weekend.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Now this is how you do a re-release poster.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

Was just checking the Wikipedia article on Spike Lee's Oldboy, and there's some bad news and some good news in regards to the Juan Luis Garcia story. Bad news is (and sorry if this has already been posted, didn't see it while reading this thread) that Lee doubled down and [url=http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/28/why-dont-you-pay-me-for-your-stupid-text-on-thanksgiving-day-spike-lee-digs-deep/]actually said Garcia should pay him[/ur] for the offense of sending him a letter on Thanksgiving. In Lee's defense, it seems like an indignant "If anything HE'S the one in the wrong!" reaction, rather than a serious call for Garcia to give him money.

The good news is that Oldboy is loving bombing and didn't even make back 5% of its budget in its first weekend.

Spike's a crabby dick, but that article says not that he asked Juan to pay him, just the person commenting on his Instagram in support of Juan.

And that Night of the Hunter poster is quite nice, though the quotes are pretty ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I'm a sucker for movie posters with an in-universe bent, so I would have liked to have seen Catching Fire posters done from the perspective of the Capitol. Jennifer Lawrence broodingly about to fire an arrow with the bird logo in the back is ok, but core to the story is how Katniss is faking a likability aspect. Jennifer Lawrence is a stone cold fox, and I think propagandist posters of her being fake-bubbly and dressed to the nines would have been interesting. Instead, most of the posters are "Stare at camera, brood, wearing a wetsuit."

Catching Fire had a bunch of official in-universe posters. There were a couple of posters for the 'victory tour' that were very fascist-propaganda-esque, and there was a series of character posters that were done in the style of portrait poses. I'll dig them up when I get home.

The marketing company knocked it out of the park and then had the studio pick the compulsory boring choice that they had to make. It's a drat shame.