Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

lowcrabdiet posted:

Cleaning out my storage unit, I found the OEM exhaust the previous owner hacksawed off.

Is there anything I can do with this? Sell it for scrap? Can a bike shop do anything with it? 2008 SV650 if that matters.

Throw it on Craigslist for $50-100 and see if you get any offers if you feel like dealing with people. Otherwise junk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
So I had the Bandit (1996 600 naked model) MOT'd a few weeks ago, and one of the things they had to fix was the indicators flashing too fast. All fine and dandy, but a week ago they stopped flashing and were just staying on, and then a couple of days ago they just stopped working altogether.

How easy a fix is this, or should I take it back and ask them to double fix it? My experience with bike maintenance on the whole is very basic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone had a FlashTune on a GSXR? The wiring harness on my bike was fubar so I put a new one in it ($50) and I'd rather not even cut the thing to install my XTRE or PC3. $100 for a flashtune seems almost too good to be true... It'd be a pre-made map but the local shop wanted $300 to tune my PC3 anyway and I can always have it tuned on a PC3 map later and send the map+ECU back to FlashTune to have the map integrated.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

So I had the Bandit (1996 600 naked model) MOT'd a few weeks ago, and one of the things they had to fix was the indicators flashing too fast. All fine and dandy, but a week ago they stopped flashing and were just staying on, and then a couple of days ago they just stopped working altogether.

How easy a fix is this, or should I take it back and ask them to double fix it? My experience with bike maintenance on the whole is very basic.

If they were flashing too fast, and there were no blown bulbs, it was most probably a faulty flasher thingy (can't remember the name) which they would've replaced to start with. Take it back to them.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shelvocke posted:

you probably have aftermarket indicators, with LEDs or smaller bulbs, the fix was probably a cheap flasher relay timed to suit the lower wattage, which subsequently failed by sticking on and burning itself out.
You should have a warranty on it, go back to them about it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
When post-crash handlebars are no longer straight, this guy's video says to
  • Loosen all the fasteners below the top triple clamp, top to bottom
  • Push straight down a few times
  • Inspect straightness
  • Once happy, tighten the fasteners, top to bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8

Is that about right?

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 4, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty much. I've found that with bars (not clip-ons) it pays to loosen off the clamps holding the bar, then loosen off the nut on the through-bolt holding the clamp to the top triple. Often they twist around (by design) on the rubber cone/ball thingy and make it seem that the bars are bent.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I've got a problem with my '97 ZZR600, hopefully you guys can help me out/tell me if I'm on the right track.

My bike is parked outside of a night in an undercover parking spot at the front of my house, however it's not covered in tin or anything, just that mesh poo poo. Friday I filled up the bike, went for a bit of a ride, came home and parked it. Bike was running perfectly. Friday night it pissed down rather heavily and Saturday morning I get on the bike to got for a ride and it's running very rough. When you initially start up the bike it runs and idles fine, proceed to take off and it bogs down at low RPM, until about 4 - 5k rpm, in 1st and 2nd, haven't checked in 3rd. Once you're running it runs nice and smoothly. Come to park, put the bike in Neutral and it idles rough, sitting around 1000rpm, it'll jump up and down from about 1200 - 800, however if you hold the throttle steady it'll sit where you hold it. This happens in Neutral or 1st, with or without the clutch in.

My initial thoughts were water in the fuel, so today I emptied the fuel tank completely put some Metho in to break down the water and filled it up with new fuel. I've done about 19kms on it so far and it still runs like poo poo, but I'm not expecting that to have fixed it instantly, I know it'll take at least a full tank to clean it out.

My question is does this sound right or should I look at something else? I'm thinking also pull off the stator cover and check it's all dry in there. Bike has been sitting for 3 days now (well, 3ish - Sunday afternoon -> Wednesday around 4pm) so I had assumed that if it was water on the electrics it would have dried out by now. It hasn't rained since Saturday morning. What else should I be looking at/thinking? Dodgy/wet spark plugs/carbs need cleaning or anything?

Thanks

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

echomadman posted:

you probably have aftermarket indicators, with LEDs or smaller bulbs, the fix was probably a cheap flasher relay timed to suit the lower wattage, which subsequently failed by sticking on and burning itself out.
You should have a warranty on it, go back to them about it.

This reminded me, I've been thinking of maybe replacing the stock 21w bulbs on my 93 transalp with some more powerful led based bulbs as the indicators are abit dull compared to newer type indicators. The front indicators are square blocks integrated in the front fairings so replacing the whole holder with a pure led setup seems like a bit more effort.

My question is: Do drop-in led bulbs work okay? dealextreme seem to have a million different kinds of them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't get them from dealextreme, get them from superbrightleds. The quality difference is crazy, and I've spent probably $500 on led replacements from various places over the past few years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Supradog posted:

Do drop-in led bulbs work okay?

You'll probably need a different flasher relay for them to flash at the appropriate speed, so just make sure one's available for your bike before you buy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I bought a taillight assembly for my Bandit for $30 and it happened to have LED bulbs included. Have to say I'm pretty impressed. Gonna get front turn signals installed on my bike next from superbrightleds. :)

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Shimrod posted:

I've got a problem with my '97 ZZR600, hopefully you guys can help me out/tell me if I'm on the right track.

My bike is parked outside of a night in an undercover parking spot at the front of my house, however it's not covered in tin or anything, just that mesh poo poo. Friday I filled up the bike, went for a bit of a ride, came home and parked it. Bike was running perfectly. Friday night it pissed down rather heavily and Saturday morning I get on the bike to got for a ride and it's running very rough. When you initially start up the bike it runs and idles fine, proceed to take off and it bogs down at low RPM, until about 4 - 5k rpm, in 1st and 2nd, haven't checked in 3rd. Once you're running it runs nice and smoothly. Come to park, put the bike in Neutral and it idles rough, sitting around 1000rpm, it'll jump up and down from about 1200 - 800, however if you hold the throttle steady it'll sit where you hold it. This happens in Neutral or 1st, with or without the clutch in.

My initial thoughts were water in the fuel, so today I emptied the fuel tank completely put some Metho in to break down the water and filled it up with new fuel. I've done about 19kms on it so far and it still runs like poo poo, but I'm not expecting that to have fixed it instantly, I know it'll take at least a full tank to clean it out.

My question is does this sound right or should I look at something else? I'm thinking also pull off the stator cover and check it's all dry in there. Bike has been sitting for 3 days now (well, 3ish - Sunday afternoon -> Wednesday around 4pm) so I had assumed that if it was water on the electrics it would have dried out by now. It hasn't rained since Saturday morning. What else should I be looking at/thinking? Dodgy/wet spark plugs/carbs need cleaning or anything?

Thanks

Sounds kind of like vapor lock to me, when you removed the tank to empty bad gas make sure you didn't route the fuel lines so that they're touching something hot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Supradog posted:

My question is: Do drop-in led bulbs work okay? dealextreme seem to have a million different kinds of them.

With automotive LED replacement bulbs you really, really get what you pay for. Cheap ones are poo poo and end up being significantly dimmer than the little 7w incandescents they replace.

You will need an appropriate flasher relay though, yes. The old-fashioned relays rely on current flow to heat up a little bimetallic strip that clicks back and forth as it heats and cools, and LEDs don't draw anywhere near enough current for that to work properly. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Keep-It-Clean-FF552NLF-Flasher/dp/B00383ETS0 and it's lovely, highly recommended if you have a bike with the really really old 2-prong relays. Dunno what to get if you have the 3-prong type but there are a lot more options.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or you can wire ballast resistors in with the LED's and the flasher relay can't tell the difference. I did this on my 919; results may vary depending on the age and shittyness of the bike in question.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

With automotive LED replacement bulbs you really, really get what you pay for. Cheap ones are poo poo and end up being significantly dimmer than the little 7w incandescents they replace.

You will need an appropriate flasher relay though, yes. The old-fashioned relays rely on current flow to heat up a little bimetallic strip that clicks back and forth as it heats and cools, and LEDs don't draw anywhere near enough current for that to work properly. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Keep-It-Clean-FF552NLF-Flasher/dp/B00383ETS0 and it's lovely, highly recommended if you have a bike with the really really old 2-prong relays. Dunno what to get if you have the 3-prong type but there are a lot more options.

That relay is the exact same model sold at Autozone/Oreilly's for $13 or so as a generic "electronic flasher." It works well - I have one on each of my motorcycles.

Ballast resistors are dumb unless you're getting LEDs just so you don't have to change bulbs. A huge benefit on motorcycles is their reduced running power draw, and a resistor negates that benefit entirely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The benefit for me was getting rid of the godawful factory indicators and having integrated ones that were both better looking and brighter. On an injected 900cc bike I also doubt the added parasitic draw would even have been measurable; it isn't like I'm slamming on the power while indicating anyway so that seems meaningless. I can see it being useful on a doddery old bike with a weak or six volt charging system though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or when you're running heated gear because you're not a pansy and you ride year-round :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geirskogul posted:

Or when you're running heated gear because you're not a pansy and you ride year-round :getin:

It's like 40 here in Scottsdale, Az. I just rode to the bar in my mesh because I let a friend borrow my leather gear. It's so cold. Bahahaha.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

The benefit for me was getting rid of the godawful factory indicators and having integrated ones that were both better looking and brighter. On an injected 900cc bike I also doubt the added parasitic draw would even have been measurable; it isn't like I'm slamming on the power while indicating anyway so that seems meaningless. I can see it being useful on a doddery old bike with a weak or six volt charging system though.

You'd be surprised, try it with a voltmeter across your battery sometime, especially at idle.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

HNasty posted:

Sounds kind of like vapor lock to me, when you removed the tank to empty bad gas make sure you didn't route the fuel lines so that they're touching something hot.

I didn't actually move the fuel lines, I just turned my Petcock to off and disconnected the fuel line there, I'll pull it apart and check the fuel line isn't against anything though, thanks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

It's like 40 here in Scottsdale, Az. I just rode to the bar in my mesh because I let a friend borrow my leather gear. It's so cold. Bahahaha.

Forty degrees? That's jacket and riding pants weather - long johns come out at around freezing, unless I'm going to be on the highway then I'll break them out if the trip is more than 10 miles or so. This had been my last four years before I moved down here:

quote:

The coldest day of the last 12 months was January 12, with a low temperature of 18°F. For reference, on that day the average low temperature is 29°F and the low temperature drops below 17°F only one day in ten. The coldest month of the last 12 months was January with an average daily low temperature of 28°F.

Relative to the average, the coldest day was November 22. The low temperature that day was 18°F, compared to the average of 34°F, a difference of 16°F. In relative terms the coldest month was October, with an average low temperature of 39°F, compared to an typical value of 43°F.

The longest cold spell was from January 11 to January 25, constituting 15 consecutive days with cooler than average low temperatures. The month of October had the largest fraction of cooler than average days with 84% days with lower than average low temperatures.

Three of the years I didn't have a real running car, and rode to work every day. Kickstarting a motorcycle in 25 degree weather is difficult when the grease in the transmission sticks the kickstarter in the down position. One time I rode back on the highway for about 30 miles at around 4 to 6 degrees F up on the prairie. I honestly think I permanently damaged the tissue in parts of my hands and upper legs; about 20 miles into the ride the carburetor iced up (?) and I had to hold full throttle at the bottom of an 8-mile 7% grade at a stop light just to idle, but it slowly got better in city traffic. When people ask me how many layers I was wearing that day, I just reply with "All of them." I did purchase the heated gear the year afterwards.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 5, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was 25 on my ride into school this morning. Felt nice. Brisk.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Pope Mobile posted:

It was 25 on my ride into school this morning. Felt nice. Brisk.
25 f on a motorcycle is miserable and dangerous, not brisk.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You should know that with the proper gear it is not miserable at all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Miserable or not for the rider, I'm not sure there's a motorcycle tire sold today whose compound is intended to be pliable and grippy in those temps. Anything sporty is going to be hard as a brick.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Shimrod posted:

I didn't actually move the fuel lines, I just turned my Petcock to off and disconnected the fuel line there, I'll pull it apart and check the fuel line isn't against anything though, thanks.

Did you look at the gas you drained, did it appear to have water in it? It's usually pretty easy to tell?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Miserable or not for the rider, I'm not sure there's a motorcycle tire sold today whose compound is intended to be pliable and grippy in those temps. Anything sporty is going to be hard as a brick.

And that's entirely aside from the possibility of ice (so long as it's been cold enough for the ground to lose a bunch of heat.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, you have to have appropriate tires, as well. I'm not advocating taking your 2,000-mile-max sport tires into the ice and snow because it proves you're manly or anything. Everything has to be appropriate and as safe as possible. All I was commenting on is that the cold weather can definitely be not dangerous as far as your body is concerned with the proper gear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am pretty sure it's friction that warms up tires, not ambient temps.

In my experience running touring tires like Metzeler ME880 and PR2/PR3, riding in dry, below-freezing conditions - external hazards (like patches of ice) aside - is a lot like riding in the wet as far as tire traction is concerned. Take it easy, reduce your lean angle, dial back right wrist a little, increase your safety margins, and look out for slippery stuff: not gonna die.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Zool posted:

I don't even know if my bike will start when it's that cold. It gets pouty and needs lots of choke when it's like 45-50F let alone below freezing.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

HNasty posted:

Did you look at the gas you drained, did it appear to have water in it? It's usually pretty easy to tell?

Dad had a quick look, but I'd tipped it out into dirt/grass without even thinking, not my brightest moment :/

It seemed to be running a bit better on my way back home last night after giving it a bit of a run, I'm still going to give it a going over and check the fuel lines, etc. hopefully this afternoon after work if I get back home with enough time. It's about due for a service so that's on the cards this weekend anyway.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Zool posted:

Sexist. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

clutchpuck posted:

I am pretty sure that actually ambient temperatures have a hell of a lot to do with your tire temperature, especially if you aren't riding hard (as you probably shouldn't be in icy weather) and especially especially in the amount of time you'll spend on an average commute.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

But 75-80f you're in for a hot ride.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

clutchpuck posted:

It's mostly carcass flexing that warms them up, but the ambient temperature has a huge effect on them sustaining their temps.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I don't even know if my bike will start when it's that cold. It gets pouty and needs lots of choke when it's like 45-50F let alone below freezing.

Mine was like that last winter (even fully choked, the kickstarter needed a good thrashing) and I'd written it off as just being really cold-blooded, but after a recent tune-up it starts on the first or second kick every time :kiddo:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My Enfield starts up on the first full good kick I can give it, even in the cold. The problem is that sometimes in the cold there is a lot of resistance on the kick lever and resetting it upwards can be a pain. The 79 CB650 starts up easily after you prime the carbs by giving the throttle a few good quick twists, but sometimes has issues with my ignition relay getting stuck in the cold and you have to hit give the headlight housing a good thwack with the kill switch in the 'on' position. I like the extra fuel squirt feature on the CB650 - it's like a quick temporary choke/enricher without having to use the actual choke lever.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 6, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Zool posted:

I have a 7:30AM start time at work - luckily it's a 12minute commute in SoCal, but last year we had a freaky cold spell and when I left for work at 7:10 it was 28F. My lightweight summer A* gloves were the weak point, and I could barely clutch by the time I got to work. My fingers loving hurt. I have a new bike and installed handguards this year, plus I bought some winter gloves but let me tell you - that kind of weather is better than coffee for waking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Tusk Hand Mitts saved my rear end up in NorCal for the winter. I'd seriously recommend getting some.