Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
What's the verdict on Platinum Ore? Does it spawn? I'm excavating a level 30 planet, and finding loads of Uranium, and zero platinums!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My 3D scanner doesn't seem to work. I put a spawner in, and it listed the price for scanning, but won't scan :(

Ironsolid posted:

What's the verdict on Platinum Ore? Does it spawn? I'm excavating a level 30 planet, and finding loads of Uranium, and zero platinums!

No. It doesn't spawn on Gamma planets, which is bullshit since you need it for T3 armor. Sorry!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A.C. posted:

This is definitely a good fix to use, though I don't know if it will affect visiting planet seeds - it's worth nothing though that platinum is not necessary to progress, the progression path goes Steel -> Titanium -> Durasteel. Platinum enables a tier of weapons and armor, which in all honesty are still too weak to beat the third boss with, so you're probably going to want to cheese him anyway, and if you're cheesing him your weapons/armor don't matter.

So is Durasteel a thing that you can do in tier 3, or do you have to finish it first?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

On a level 37 planet I found 1 piece of platinum ore in the ground. That's the only platinum I've ever found outside of chests.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

As someone with a silver pickaxe and bits of armor, what's supposed to be my next goal? I made a beacon and got annihilated, then explored a few other planets and didn't find anything 'new.' Does the ship drop the 'molten core' I need for the next level of crafting and if so how am I supposed to beat it?

Edit: also my friends and I are having difficulty getting multiplayer to work. We have 21025 forwarded but can't connect to servers each other have put up.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Ironsolid posted:

Platinum doesn't start appearing until level 34 planets with the current/default ore distribution settings.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

FirstPlayer posted:

As someone with a silver pickaxe and bits of armor, what's supposed to be my next goal? I made a beacon and got annihilated, then explored a few other planets and didn't find anything 'new.' Does the ship drop the 'molten core' I need for the next level of crafting and if so how am I supposed to beat it?

Edit: also my friends and I are having difficulty getting multiplayer to work. We have 21025 forwarded but can't connect to servers each other have put up.

Try hopping from planet to planet in search for a pirate ship to buy guns from. Preferrably on threat 7-10 planets if you can handle it. Get those guns and then use it on the UFO.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FirstPlayer posted:

Right now, the snow armor is crazy OP, it's made on the spinning wheel with leather. Once that gets nerfed, though, you'll probably want silver armor for the UFO fight. The racial iron stuff is warmer and looks cooler but isn't as protective. Raid some dungeons to try to find some decent weapons. Or maybe explore some planets until you find sky pirates and buy some guns from them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I hadn't realised my life was missing something until I'd entertained a village full of robot peasants with Hotel California on the loving accordion. I can die a happy man now.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Will the pirates be on a planet in premade buildings like the other NPCs I've seen or somewhere less obvious?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Captain Spoon posted:

Here's a screenshot of the propeller bug. It will result in an endless death/spawn cycle for the ship's owner. Use this information responsibly. ;)

A followup to this. If you DO get affected by the bug cause some jerk like me pulls it on you :smith: Do the following:

Go to your starbound directory in steam or wherever

go to the players folder.

Delete the .shipworld file for your player

You will have your ship completely wiped, but your player inventory and quest progress, etc will remain.

FirstPlayer posted:

Will the pirates be on a planet in premade buildings like the other NPCs I've seen or somewhere less obvious?

You'll see the ground is suddenly super flat. Then you'll see an achor with a chain leading straight up.

Make a dirt tower beside the anchor and you'll hit the pirate ship. The person selling guns is at the top on the left.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Actually, all you have to do is beam to their ship while crouching.

(Or have someone else do it for you, if you're the victim.)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So, killed penguin boss, made the metal station, got steel weapons and bow, gold pickaxe - in silver/winter gear. Currently loving around in beta quadrant. What's my next step, titanium? Or do I need gold armor first? Platinum Pickaxe or can I skip?

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Sweet, thanks guys.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Last night me and a friend were playing on a server before the patch. Today when I try to launch the server program I get a bunch of runtime errors and it closes. How do I fix this?

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

canepazzo posted:

So, killed penguin boss, made the metal station, got steel weapons and bow, gold pickaxe - in silver/winter gear. Currently loving around in beta quadrant. What's my next step, titanium? Or do I need gold armor first? Platinum Pickaxe or can I skip?

Sadly you can't skip pickaxe tiers, and platinum is impossibly rare. There's supposed to be an ore rebalancing patch coming tomorrow though, maybe that'll fix up the progression a bit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I have the materials for the decoy princess. Any tips for the boss? Is it impossible, like the UFO?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Fun, so we decided to gently caress right out of T3 due to no Platinum, Is tier 5 in the game? Not seeing any new items that look like they would be progressive.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

canepazzo posted:

For now, you either need to dupe a lot of Platinum or rush to the Decoy Princess, cheese the boss by imprisoning it in blocks, and skip to the next tier/sector, where Platinum can be easily found.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Ironsolid posted:

Fun, so we decided to gently caress right out of T3 due to no Platinum, Is tier 5 in the game? Not seeing any new items that look like they would be progressive.

No I think they said it would only be the first 3.
I think it's weird though that people are talking about having infinite energy and flying and stuff, when we only have the first 1/3 of the item progression.
There must be some end game stuff sprinkled in.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

Sand is seriously the best thing in this game, I love finding huge underground caverns of sand and grit and just making huge cascades of ores and pixels.

I had the placement of a single wood platform cause a 4-screen collapse of a cavern's sand roof (how did it stay up in the first place?) Was pretty amazing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Can someone link the dev videos of the ingame music instruments, especially the singing one?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ironsolid posted:

Check the Robot Crafting Table. Once you finish T3 everything is shoehorned in to the Robot Crafting Table in a temporary progression path that's incredibly easy to breeze through. You can hit the final tier (Impervium) pretty easily.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
You know what I'd like to (not) see? Musical instruments whose sprites are invisible. I want an Air Guitar so I can play air guitar and have it make music as if I were Bill and Ted.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
Loving this game, but is there any Miner's Hat type item in the game? Flashlight sucks in caves and dropping a torch every 20 feet is so annoying. I want to explore caves and poo poo but I need a persistent light source. Are there more powerful flashlights at least?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
edit never mind google to the rescue.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Something I didn't see in the OP, does this game have only small multiplayer servers in the sense of Terraria or is there a larger server for people to merrily gently caress about in? It felt vaguely pointless playing single-player Terraria, for some reason :(

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Something I didn't see in the OP, does this game have only small multiplayer servers in the sense of Terraria or is there a larger server for people to merrily gently caress about in? It felt vaguely pointless playing single-player Terraria, for some reason :(

Seems there's no player limit on starbound MP, or rather whatever the server can handle.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Blog post posted:

- Experimenting with a new leveling/damage/armor curve (Thank you to Chewymouse) (done, needs testing)

Dang, about time.

Also, just killed the robot, got my processor/robot crafter. What else do I need to do to advance to T3? A starmap upgrade t3 of course! I'm blind.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Leadthumb posted:

No I think they said it would only be the first 3.
I think it's weird though that people are talking about having infinite energy and flying and stuff, when we only have the first 1/3 of the item progression.
There must be some end game stuff sprinkled in.

The last "tier" right now is just what they have of all the >3 tiers smashed together into one tier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm streaming again for a bit, I just beat the UFO boss and am beginning life in the Beta sector..

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fair to Midland posted:

Loving this game, but is there any Miner's Hat type item in the game? Flashlight sucks in caves and dropping a torch every 20 feet is so annoying. I want to explore caves and poo poo but I need a persistent light source. Are there more powerful flashlights at least?

Flashlight in one hand and sword/pistol in the other.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nightchild12 posted:

The last "tier" right now is just what they have of all the >3 tiers smashed together into one tier.

There are some things independent of tiers, such as the Gravity Bubble. Furthermore, there has been very little effort to balance anything. So finding a Gravity Bubble in a tier 2 planet with tier 2 gear will allow you to fly forever. The Steel stuff has enough energy regen to allow that. That's the kind of thing that will be balanced in future beta patches.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How are you guys finding enough gold to craft steel armor during T2? I haven't seen any on the surface of any planets I've been to and I've only seen the ore rarely and in tiny concentrations very deep underground.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

canepazzo posted:

Seems there's no player limit on starbound MP, or rather whatever the server can handle.

Has anyone tried a server on a home PC? How well has it worked?

I found I could run a full terraria server pretty easily and I'm wondering if the load is about the same.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Pakled posted:

How are you guys finding enough gold to craft steel armor during T2? I haven't seen any on the surface of any planets I've been to and I've only seen the ore rarely and in tiny concentrations very deep underground.

I find the deepest cave I can and use bombs to blow holes into deeper caves. I don't go all the way down, usually before it turns into super hard rock right before lava layer is where I look around. You find a lot of cool poo poo at that depth like the weird biomes (flesh/mushroom/frogs/tiny people) and little veins of gold.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Can you change how many blocks you are digging up? sometimes I don't want to dig up all the dirt around this 1 copper ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Can you change how many blocks you are digging up? sometimes I don't want to dig up all the dirt around this 1 copper ore.

You should really read the OP. Hold shift.

• Locked thread