Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I hope 3d printing seeds will be back. I want to make my survivalist stockpile! :jihad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

A shrubbery! posted:

Getting started:
Important controls - C is tools-free basic crafting. Press E or Mouse3 on a crafting tool (workbench, anvil etc) to craft using that tool. Hold shift to place and destroy single blocks instead of 3x3s. The circle and upwards arrow icon on the right is to teleport back to your ship.

Beginner guide
1. Use the Matter Manipulator to chop down a tree and mine out enough cobblestone to make a crafting table and stone pickaxe.
2. Use the pickaxe to mine cobblestone faster, then make a stone axe to chop trees faster.
3. Use the axe to chop down some hanging vines to get Plant Matter. Use this and some more wood to craft a bow.
4. Build a campfire and hunt some meat. Stockpile a little so you don't need to hunt some later. Enemies will drop meat when killed with either normal weapons or the bow, but there's a greater chance with the bow. (70% rather than 50%)
5. That's it, start exploring. Find ore, upgrade your tools and armour.
6. When you're done, load up your ship with fuel (the cabinet closest to the pilot's seat) with coal or unprocessed wood and head out to a different planet. Don't forget to bring your tools!

How do I pickup/move a workbench? I don't want to have to rebuild them every planet.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've been talking with a friend and it occurred to us that there is no easy way to mark planets or copy coordinates right now. It'd be great if there was a kind of "Star Log" that saves your seeds so you don't have to write them down yourself.

Also a way to name planets, perhaps in combination with a flag for claiming. Gotta fill the universe with Assplanets.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Bottom Liner posted:

How do I pickup/move a workbench? I don't want to have to rebuild them every planet.

Use the matter manipulator on it. Same goes for all furniture.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Thank you. I appreciate that. I'm not experienced in beta testing nor games of this nature. Thanks again.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

I really hope they make it way more clear that staying on the starter planet the entire time is a very bad idea because you won't find good weapons or tech on it and trying to fight the UFO boss with starter planet items is an almost impossible task.
There should be a really big hint that activating the distress beacon is a bad idea. Ultimate Penguin Dominion(tm) brand Distress Beacon is somewhat ominous for example.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bottom Liner posted:

You can 'mine' any object just as if it were a piece of the planet. This turns it into an item you can pick up and set back down later.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

New Leaf posted:

I know people like it so far and it seems to be playable, but is it a must-have at this point or should I give it some time? For reference, I love Minecraft and played Terraria for about 5 minutes at a friend's house and it didn't grip me because I had no idea what to do.

What does "must-have" mean to you? It's a $15 game that'll likely be a couple of bucks cheaper at most on release, and it's really good right now despite being unbalanced, buggy, and missing heaps of content. Nothing is going to change between now and release that's going to make it into a bad game, so there's no real reason to wait if you want to try it out now. There's nothing to lose by throwing a few hours into it now and then putting it down for a couple of months versus just buying it when it comes out.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Does anyone have the link to the google docs planet list? I can't find it in the OP. Is it even in there(it should be)?

VVVVVVVVV Oops, my bad!

e: Whoever posted X-Sector 81938294, -64473233 Gamma Integra 7516 I a (Human Mech tech), the coords don't end up at Gamma Integra :(

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Nastyman posted:

Does anyone have the link to the google docs planet list? I can't find it in the OP. Is it even in there(it should be)?

Shukaro posted:

Additional Tippage
Some goons have taken to compiling cool coordinates here

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Hay I ordered this like a year ago, how do you download it? I have not gotten any email for a steam key or anything...

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
It should be on the orders page of your Humble Store account, I don't know if it's somewhere different if you bought straight through Chucklefish.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
How do you set a new respawn point when you beam down from a ship? I wanna keep this place thats a little out of the way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

James Totes posted:

How do you set a new respawn point when you beam down from a ship? I wanna keep this place thats a little out of the way.

That is unfortunately not implemented yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does anyone have some good coordinates for a planet where I can get some bombs? I'm having issues blowing up the UFO and am tired of just kind of plinking at its health, which takes forever. I almost had it after a long battle but because for some reason I can't get the game to run fullscreen it flipped out when I accidentally minimized the window and I lost all that progress against it.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Found an area deep underground with walls and floors made of leaves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BrainMeats posted:

I wouldn't mind if the hundreds of different dirt, sand, moondust, cobblestone, poo poo and obsidian blocks all got abstracted down into maybe a few levels of "construction materials" or something. Maybe digging up dirt and sand just increases your count of light matter. Then when you want to build a sick fortress the matter manipulator has a dropdown list with different materials you've learned. They clearly saw it as a problem already what with an entire second inventory for building supplies. After a dozen planets you've just got half stacks of cobblestone that all look nearly the same but don't fit together.

Really, it'd be better if those just went into a limitless inventory just for construction objects.

E: Happily the announcement of the upcoming wipe coincides with needing to cram for finals, so I can more easily take a break and do things I actually need to do rather than explore the galaxy.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
How do I learn to make steel?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

How do I learn to make steel?

You need a piece of loot from the first boss to build an upgraded anvil/crafting station.

Alyssa Milano
Dec 20, 2004

I've dated the sweet mama's boy, the musician rocker, the struggling artist - basically a lot of people without jobs.
Largest Ape complex I've seen yet here:

Beta Alpha Ant 552 I

X 34608906 X 35146034
Snow Level 18

Has some statues, cosmetics and a few fruits I've never come across before, a shield called the "planetstopper" dropped for me there when I killed one of the guards before I realized the whole complex was peaceful. Tons of looting to be done.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

rhoga posted:

Found a level 40 planet with airship.

Go get bird guns.
:freep:

The other planet in this system has an Apex jumping facility with a Blink tech at the end.
This tech seems better than pretty much all the other techs I've found so far, as it allows you to blink to anywhere on the screen at the cost of 1 energy bar(which refills almost instantly).

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Well, looks like the latest patch ate my characters. Thankfully the new patch makes the leveling up faster

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
I am really loving the instruments, we just started playing around with them, but you can do some fun stuff as long as you get the sync to work properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUpVv7rWAVs

We're using two different abc tracks, it played pretty well on my end, but was all out of sync for baldurk.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This thread moves pretty fast... when is that character wipe coming?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Morning posted:

Well, looks like the latest patch ate my characters. Thankfully the new patch makes the leveling up faster

Did they release the character wipe patch already? Or are you talking about the patch released on thursday?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ethanol posted:

No ETA aside from "couple days".

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

ethanol posted:

I believe the plan is early next week, after the weekend. This next big patch.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I've been digging around and ran into a tiny underground village complete with tiny lampposts and houses. I died before trying to break any houses though.

Gravity got me before I could go all godzilla on that poo poo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

crowfeathers posted:

Really, it'd be better if those just went into a limitless inventory just for construction objects.

I'd be cool with that being an early upgrade that you get, or maybe just something that automatically beams construction materials back to a storage space on your ship. I'm the kind of weirdo that actually likes gridded inventories and inventory management, but managing construction materials sucks. Not only do they take up space and get in the way, but they necessitate having a larger inventory which in turn is a lot more of a pain in the rear end to manage. I don't expect this to happen, but I'd love to just have a magical store of automatically sorted construction materials that I can access from anywhere and that requires no manual management on my part. gently caress, I'd even be perfect fine with having to grind out materials to build upgrades for it and expand its storage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This game doesn't autosave does it? If not, I just lost two hours of progress on a brand new character. gently caress.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

Don't worry, in a few days a lot of people are going to lose ~80 hours of progress! :D

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I'd be cool with that being an early upgrade that you get, or maybe just something that automatically beams construction materials back to a storage space on your ship. I'm the kind of weirdo that actually likes gridded inventories and inventory management, but managing construction materials sucks. Not only do they take up space and get in the way, but they necessitate having a larger inventory which in turn is a lot more of a pain in the rear end to manage. I don't expect this to happen, but I'd love to just have a magical store of automatically sorted construction materials that I can access from anywhere and that requires no manual management on my part. gently caress, I'd even be perfect fine with having to grind out materials to build upgrades for it and expand its storage.

I just throw the more common materials in the trash. I never run out of inventory room.

Bottom Liner posted:

This game doesn't autosave does it? If not, I just lost two hours of progress on a brand new character. gently caress.

It does.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

How I like to play is, if your inventory is getting full, you've adventured enough and it's time to either use what you've found to build something, or trash it because it's worthless.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Wow, really? That's a huge relief. Game crashed on me last night during a session where I'd found a rad Bone-Sword thing.

Is there a particular time it does, like when you die or beam up or something?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Geomancing posted:

Found an area deep underground with walls and floors made of leaves.

That is a lovely little house :3:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Is there a hotkey for switching between techs? I have energy dash and pulse jump but apparently only one can be active at a time and it's really annoying opening my inventory every time I want to switch. I tried looking in the controls tutorial codex entry but it's not showing up any more for some reason. :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They really need to consolidate everything into the matter manipulator and just have you upgrade that. Maybe the upgrade that drops from the bosses could be used to upgrade it? I dunno.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
One thing I miss from playing Terraria: Enemy variation and quality.

Sure, every planet has randomly generated monsters, but they all pretty much do the same thing. In Terraria, there were fewer monsters, but they all had unique patterns and abilities. It seems like if I know that I can one shot one type of thing on the planet, I'll likely be able to do the same to anything else I run across.

Having more creatures with the same quality as those in dunegons and boss battles would help immensely.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Genocyber posted:

I just throw the more common materials in the trash. I never run out of inventory room.

It's the management (ie, dumping into the trash) of common materials that's annoying. I'd actually prefer a smaller inventory on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Oneiros posted:

You need a piece of loot from the first boss to build an upgraded anvil/crafting station.
I did, metalworking station. I still don't have any steel patterns and cant craft steel, either.

e. vvvv thanks!

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread