Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Farming is also broken right now in that you can't replicate seeds through the printer anymore.
I'm pretty sure they were never intended to be printable. You get more seeds from farming. You don't need to print them.

Enzer posted:

In other news Curse has apparently been harassing Chucklefish over not using their Gamepedia wiki as the official wiki and has been bullying the guy who started the wiki that Chucklefish has decided upon and links to in their launcher...
Ah, good to see that Starbound is keeping up the genre's tradition of ridiculous drama. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Speaking of wikis, you know my favorite thing about this game? I haven't had to consult a wiki once figure out how to progress. The game actually instructs you really well.

I consider this a huge plus. Expecting players to use a wiki as a matter of course is and always has been lazy design.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Speaking of wikis, you know my favorite thing about this game? I haven't had to consult a wiki once figure out how to progress. The game actually instructs you really well.

I consider this a huge plus. Expecting players to use a wiki as a matter of course is and always has been lazy design.

I disagree. It's not at all obvious you can use wood/coal for your FTL drive, and that you need to get stuff from a level 10 planet before using the Distress Beacon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been playing a lot today and yesterday with my son in multiplayer. Super fun game! Mass Effect meets Terraria is a dream come true, and I can only imagine a future 1st person 3d game set in this mold!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I disagree. It's not at all obvious you can use wood/coal for your FTL drive, and that you need to get stuff from a level 10 planet before using the Distress Beacon.

What the hell did you need to go to a T10 planet for? I pretty much had tier 1 stuff capped and killed the boss before I left my first planet (which was T1). :confused:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rocketlex posted:

This is something that is so great, but also so easily taken for granted. I know I did a double take when I realized this was the case after reading your post, How To Repair Copper Pickaxe, Stone Pickaxe need not apply aside.

Mildly related, whenever I play stupid flash games I want to punch someone when they do not list the controls either on the page with it, or inside the game. But instead have an internal link to an entirely different web page.

EDIT: ^^^ Not all T1 worlds appear to be created equal. I appear to have been given a scenic habitable world (where food does not seem to want to grow even after a week of in game days), that has Wildlife that would make Krogans or Fremen soil themselves, and what little weapon drop results (or found in a chest) were either worse than my STARTING weapon somehow, despite 3 AP, and a single (very cool at least) spear barely on par with a crafted 1-hander. If the UFO can be poisoned then it could be a better bet than sword+shield, if Iron Tier weapons can indeed take on the UFO.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 8, 2013

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

chaosapiant posted:

Been playing a lot today and yesterday with my son in multiplayer. Super fun game! Mass Effect meets Terraria is a dream come true, and I can only imagine a future 1st person 3d game set in this mold!

There's a recently unveiled game called No Man's Sky which pretty much fits the bill. There's no projected release date as far as I know so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Genocyber posted:

I was going to add an aside that the one thing they don't explain well is fuel, but I was giving the game the benefit of the doubt and thinking they probably explain that after you beat the first boss (which I haven't yet). Guess not, but that'd be pretty simple to remedy.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
Found my first floran dungeon. I released the prisoners, thinking they'd help me kill the guards.

Turns out, they were just hungry :(

Edit: Found a really fun exploit: If you have both Pulse Jump and Dash, you can continuously switch between them. Switching from Dash to Pulse resets the jump counter.

NorthByNorthwest fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 8, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
More ideas:

The wire system needs expansion, specifically allow us to wire up the hazardous items like sawblades and tesla poles :unsmigghh:

Animals seriously need to stop being 'kill on touch', nothing worse than accidentally energydashing into a flying mob or a jumping mob and becoming dead instantly. Their attacks should be more obvious.

Titanium teir armor should be less... hosed? I mean why do I have to visit deathworlds in the gamma quadrent to get the gear required to survive on death worlds in the gamma quadrent :psyduck:

Also where the gently caress is the platinum, I've plumbed the cores of worlds and have seriously considered building space towers just to find the poo poo.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Motherfucker posted:

Also where the gently caress is the platinum, I've plumbed the cores of worlds and have seriously considered building space towers just to find the poo poo.

I found some in a treasure chest on my starting planet. :whatup:

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

The buff items don't feel that useful honestly. Same for the shrines. It's not even that their benefits are useless, they just don't last long enough. The yellow stims would be insanely useful for spelunking and adventuring at night, yet you need to use 2 for the large light radius, and they only last about 30 seconds. Red stims are fine as is, probably, but a boost to all the other stims / shrine buffs would go a long way into making them worth using. As is you're more likely to get hurt from the shrine than get something you can actually use before it wears off, and the stims take up item slots you could better use for other items.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.

Motherfucker posted:

More ideas:

The wire system needs expansion, specifically allow us to wire up the hazardous items like sawblades and tesla poles :unsmigghh:

Animals seriously need to stop being 'kill on touch', nothing worse than accidentally energydashing into a flying mob or a jumping mob and becoming dead instantly. Their attacks should be more obvious.

Titanium teir armor should be less... hosed? I mean why do I have to visit deathworlds in the gamma quadrent to get the gear required to survive on death worlds in the gamma quadrent :psyduck:

Ore progression is generally wonky and is being updated in the next patch. Don't think too hard about it for the time being.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
My two cents after playing for 50 hours and getting Autumn the Floran maxed out:

- Game is already incredible. I can't believe this is an early beta. Tons of fun and I'm excited to play the complete product some day with my buddies.
- Echoing sentiments about inventory management for construction materials. The generic matter absorb/place idea that everybody keeps posting without really reading other people's posts is definitely a good idea.
- More animal noises would be nice. Sure, the monster looks unique, but they all make horse/pig/mouse noise, so it breaks the uniqueness a bit for me. It's kind of like playing Oblivion with the same 6 voice actors for every NPC. Throw in some random stuff we wouldn't expect from animals or something.
- Planet variety is great, but could be improved. Weather and atmospheric effects are my favorite feature of many games, despite how they're usually just decoration. As some others have said, there's a lot of potential for more types of weather that dramatically affect gameplay (i.e. a blizzard comes in and decreases visibility and heat). Currently, we have rain, which doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't even make the background get dark and grey and cloudy or anything. The lightning is nice, though. As for other planet things, I liked what someone mentioned about the size of the planet having a big impact on mineral content and gravity. The backgrounds are also gorgeous, and I love that they show the moons/planets that are nearby, but I'd like more nighttime variety. Aurora? Fog? There's a lot to explore here.
- The coming patch seems like a step in the right direction as far as progression and combat are concerned, so I won't blab about that here.
- How do I use dye?
- I love digging through sand/gravel caverns.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Motherfucker posted:

It doesn't seem to spawn normally, or if it does it's only on very certain threat levels.

Take some from a chest and dupe it as described above.

Edit: v You fucker.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 8, 2013

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well I found the best hat. Also, an accordion.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Animals are not "harm on touch", they are "harm on touch when attack is active" which is a pretty small difference since they instantly see you when you are within a set distance of them and not blocked by terrain and then instantly begin attacking.

Get a shield, blocking their attack makes them nondamaging until they fire it off again.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I just had an awesome idea for this game.

Derelict Stations - A new type of "planet" that isn't really a planet at all, but rather an abandoned space station. Essentially, this would be a planet-sized dungeon made of interconnected rooms. Primary enemies would be security drones, but you'd also have to look out for others who've come aboard to scavenge. Unlike being planetside, within a station your food comes primarily from loot, although you might also stumble upon a greenhouse in which to plant your seeds or a livery stable overrun with escaped, meaty monsters.

Basically a planet type for if you don't care about mining and want the game to be all dungeon-crawl, all the time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Anyone found worthwhile gear shops? I'm only into the Beta quadrant but the avian town I found had a dozen shops probably but all of the stuff they sold was maybe steel quality or worse. Unless the stuff like brick on a stick prime is really powerful once made?

e:

Denzine posted:

Animals are not "harm on touch", they are "harm on touch when attack is active" which is a pretty small difference since they instantly see you when you are within a set distance of them and not blocked by terrain and then instantly begin attacking.

Get a shield, blocking their attack makes them nondamaging until they fire it off again.

I've yet to see a shield block enemy melee attacks.

Glitches with shields have no problem blocking everything you throw at them though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 8, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ragequit posted:

When you got to the top did you find a couple being forced to jump off each side to their death? When I opened the doors at the top they rushed to each other and said thanks. :3:

I don't remember there being doors at the top, but there were a couple of avian NPCs up there that talked about how they didn't want to jump.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before, but has there been any mention of plans to allow character editing after creation, barber shop style?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'd like to see some sort of "blueprint designer" that'd feed out a random currently unknown blueprint for anything you feed it some large amount of the primary ingredient of.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone found worthwhile gear shops? I'm only into the Beta quadrant but the avian town I found had a dozen shops probably but all of the stuff they sold was maybe steel quality or worse. Unless the stuff like brick on a stick prime is really powerful once made?

Weapon shops in town are directly associated with the threat level. Nothing will have a higher pen then the threat level and damage and speed are calculatedly somewhat differently. All the blue prints you see are just that races weapons, stuff you'd see if you were a Avian, in that case, off that appropriate tier.

Crafted weapons all suck.

Rush the highest threat world you can find, run around and find a town and buy a high level weapon. That'll be the best you can buy at that tier. Then maybe murder some guards and play weapon roulette, as you might find something better.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every shop I ever been to always have gear that's way too obsolete. The only weapons I was able to actually use was stuff that dropped off of mini-boss monsters or enemy NPCs. Pretty much the entire reason I was able to beat the UFO boss is because a security droid dropped a pistol with a level 5 armor piercing.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Arbitrary Number posted:

What? Copypasting coords work.

Works wonky on my end, I can copy from in-game but can't paste.

Also, finally hit the motherlode of Aegisalt:

37802551, 54216243 | gamma eta car Ia. Has an avian settlement on left. I went past the bridge, dug straight down to meat and got shittons of aegisalt.

And luckily, I have no problems with hoarding all those meat blocks:

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

^^^^^Where do those lockers spawn? I've yet to see any.

pwnyXpress posted:

Currently, we have rain, which doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't even make the background get dark and grey and cloudy or anything.

I'm not 100% on this but I thought my heat gauge went down faster when it was raining at night, but when I moved out of the rain I lost heat at a slower pace. Also, I agree with everything in your post.

Reacean posted:

The buff items don't feel that useful honestly. Same for the shrines. It's not even that their benefits are useless, they just don't last long enough. The yellow stims would be insanely useful for spelunking and adventuring at night, yet you need to use 2 for the large light radius, and they only last about 30 seconds. Red stims are fine as is, probably, but a boost to all the other stims / shrine buffs would go a long way into making them worth using. As is you're more likely to get hurt from the shrine than get something you can actually use before it wears off, and the stims take up item slots you could better use for other items.

I swear I get the explosion/burning shrine over half the time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Weapon shops in town are directly associated with the threat level. Nothing will have a higher pen then the threat level and damage and speed are calculatedly somewhat differently. All the blue prints you see are just that races weapons, stuff you'd see if you were a Avian, in that case, off that appropriate tier.

Crafted weapons all suck.

Rush the highest threat world you can find, run around and find a town and buy a high level weapon. That'll be the best you can buy at that tier. Then maybe murder some guards and play weapon roulette, as you might find something better.

I did that some and ended up with a 19 pen, 0.64 speed, 64 dmg 2handed sword and a 21 pen, 2.68 speed, 11dmg poison 2 handed axe. The axe does more damage to high threat level enemies than the sword does. :psyduck:

Both are still kind of lovely against threat 18-20 world enemies though. The steel hunting bow sucks for hunting anything on an 11+ as well it seems.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Delaio posted:

^^^^^Where do those lockers spawn? I've yet to see any.

You get bunches wherever you find apex labs.

Other ideas: hazards should need to be activated by levers / consoles / whatever, when active they should be irremovable. This would reduce the triviality of some of the dungeons by making it so you can't simply break all the hazards to pass by but you can have the hazards once you succeed in turning them off.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I did that some and ended up with a 19 pen, 0.64 speed, 64 dmg 2handed sword and a 21 pen, 2.68 speed, 11dmg poison 2 handed axe. The axe does more damage to high threat level enemies than the sword does. :psyduck:

Both are still kind of lovely against threat 18-20 world enemies though. The steel hunting bow sucks for hunting anything on an 11+ as well it seems.

In the current system, Armor Penetration is literally the most important stat since the higher it is compared to the enemy's level the higher boost its damage receives, and vice versa.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Musluk posted:

And luckily, I have no problems with hoarding all those meat blocks:

Nice layout, I am totally gonna have to steal that. Gives me an 8-bit Old Republic vibe.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rocketlex posted:

Derelict Stations - A new type of "planet" that isn't really a planet at all, but rather an abandoned space station. Essentially, this would be a planet-sized dungeon made of interconnected rooms. Primary enemies would be security drones, but you'd also have to look out for others who've come aboard to scavenge. Unlike being planetside, within a station your food comes primarily from loot, although you might also stumble upon a greenhouse in which to plant your seeds or a livery stable overrun with escaped, meaty monsters.

Basically a planet type for if you don't care about mining and want the game to be all dungeon-crawl, all the time.

Sounds like planet type "that's no moon," and I approve.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got a tech blueprint, how come I can't do anything with it whatsoever at my tech/printer thing?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Motherfucker posted:

You get bunches wherever you find apex labs.

Other ideas: hazards should need to be activated by levers / consoles / whatever, when active they should be irremovable. This would reduce the triviality of some of the dungeons by making it so you can't simply break all the hazards to pass by but you can have the hazards once you succeed in turning them off.

One thing they mentioned on the roadmap site is they want dungeons to have a special thing where they can't be damaged until you take out a specific thing inside them. When/if that gets implemented then stuff like saws and electric traps might actually be threatening, especially if they disable the ability to place blocks as well.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Feenix posted:

So I got a tech blueprint, how come I can't do anything with it whatsoever at my tech/printer thing?
Use it on yourself, it should unlock the tech. Blueprint is definitely the wrong word for it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Lynx Winters posted:

One thing they mentioned on the roadmap site is they want dungeons to have a special thing where they can't be damaged until you take out a specific thing inside them. When/if that gets implemented then stuff like saws and electric traps might actually be threatening, especially if they disable the ability to place blocks as well.

Neat.

Another thing that needs addressing is spears being absolute trash always. They would be much more useful if you could aim them like guns.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Suggestion for Tiy and whatever other devs read this:

Hiding armor pieces; We have vanity slots, but sometime I just want to show off my beautiful plumage without sacrificing my armor rating.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Motherfucker posted:

Neat.

Another thing that needs addressing is spears being absolute trash always. They would be much more useful if you could aim them like guns.

I've used a spear quite a bit, actually, though it's pretty cheesy.

Basically, against the guys with sniper rifles who one shot me, I'd build a little wall of dirt between them and me. Then, I'd dig out a tiny hole to get their attention and when they came over, I'd spear them through the dirt wall I built.

It's definitely cheesy, but the spear is a natural choice for those situations.

Elixibren
Mar 5, 2007
Ya'll

+

=

:science:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

assets\dungeons\other\wreck has some stuff you might like.

Not sure if they are spawning atm though.

Oneiros posted:

Suggestion for Tiy and whatever other devs read this:

Hiding armor pieces; We have vanity slots, but sometime I just want to show off my beautiful plumage without sacrificing my armor rating.

Try this thread on the official forums for head items at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Genocyber posted:

In the current system, Armor Penetration is literally the most important stat since the higher it is compared to the enemy's level the higher boost its damage receives, and vice versa.

Noticed that earlier on, it's kind of silly.

Went to a diff 20 world, found some avians, killed them all after walling in guards. Got a shitload of weapons, the best two are a 25/19.8/18 and 25/0.74/48 pair of 2 handed hammers. The 2nd one almost one-shots the guards. Not as much range as I had with a 2handed sword but I imagine the slow one should blow away most things well enough. :cheers:

• Locked thread