Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oneiros posted:

Are you seriously arguing that because people can use cheats to get whatever they want that the devs should balance the actual game against that?

Why not? That's what the developers of Dungeon Defenders did and look how well balanced Nightmare difficulty and the DLC turned out.
Both are loving garbage and you should never touch either if you like Dungeon Defenders.

This is a dumb argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Shukaro posted:

We don't have this cheat argument in the Minecraft threads anymore for good reason, let's not have it here unless you have something genuinely interesting and well-thought out to say about it.

My interesting thing to say about the whole debate boils down to the fact that we have not, as of yet, seen anything substantial enough to warrant a death penalty, because they literally have not put it in the game yet. Pixel costs seem high, but I remember getting over 10k pixels hanging around and clearing a ~35 TL planet, which is supposed to be about a third of the way through the game. Going to specifically farm monsters and/or ore to shove into the refinery would have gotten me thousands upon thousands more. And this is the roughest state the game will ever be.

If you don't like death penalties, then mod it out for right now, but for heaven's sake, play the game as-is, and hope for what will be, rather than thinking that everything in the game is set in loving stone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Umberger posted:

If you're in an area where dying is prohibitively impacting your income, that probably means the area is too difficult for you/your equipment. That's why the penalty exists: so you can't just corpse drag in the high level areas to take advantage of their higher ore counts.
I don't mind higher level areas being more dangerous, it's the fact that the luck of the draw can make lower areas, or even your starting ones ball bustingly inhospitable and unrewarding that is my issue with "Boohoo, don't try to punch above your weight idiot death penalties are there to punish your hubris" mindsets.

Armed with Steel weapons and Snow Suit, I still find that Threat 6 Desert world I left off on much more forgiving and less dangerous than my starting world. I can oneshot the wildlife on both now but the T6 Desert doesn't have moments where swarms of fire and needle spewing enemies will rush me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 10, 2013

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
There is a purity to struggle as it makes the achievement of building a blinged-out wizard tower so much more satisfying.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

My problem with this reasoning is that if you really care about your pixel count (as in, you're building your way up to something which costs a lot and not just farting around and only looking at it occasionally), when are you ever going to die twice to make that investment worthwhile? Once you're well past the earliest parts of the early game and the starting planet monsters are trivial, that is.

There's always something to spend your money on (thereby getting 100% of its value) in your downtime, in my experience, so the only time you'd have a significant amount of pixels on your person in the first place is if you're saving up to spend again on something big or you just happened to go a long time without a death. And if you are saving up to something big, why would you be going somewhere high-risk rather than fighting somewhere safe? Putting that high of a cost on banking means that the question of spend vs save is going to point to spend 99% of the time, and the most efficient way to afford something costly is still usually going to be to go farm money on a planet where you have nearly no chance of death, unless they also make huge changes to pixel costs and monster pixel drops to make taking a higher risk worthwhile.

The Pixel bank is balanced around the new combat mechanics, and I would assume that pixels are probably going to be better rewarded for risk in the future. Why grind away 10,000 pixels in 1 Pixel drops when I can fight something that drops 100 Pixels but has a chance of killing me? Every few hundred I might want to store them for safe keeping, sure I will have to maybe kill ten or so more in the end to make up for it, but it would be better than dying, reviving at my ship, and dying soon again. I mean, I've literally died within 20 seconds of teleporting down to a planet's surface because there is a mob right next to me and its dealt a good chunk of damage before I've could retaliate.

---

This whole argument is kind of stupid since I see this mechanic in a lot of games and this is the first time I've seen people actually complain about it. It is doubly stupid since you can edit this feature out in a min or two. It also reminds me of the "Why not just play in creative mode" debates you hear in MC modding threads and dear lord are those loving stupid. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 10, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Section Z posted:

I don't mind higher level areas being more dangerous, it's the fact that the luck of the draw can make lower areas, or even your starting ones ball bustingly inhospitable and unrewarding that is my issue with "Boohoo, don't try to punch above your weight idiot death penalties are there to punish your hubris" mindsets.

Armed with Steel weapons and Snow Suit, I still find that Threat 6 Desert world I left off on much more forgiving and less dangerous than my starting world.

That's a fair enough point. Keep in mind though: the armor/weapon system is being revamped soon and it's definitely possible that those situations will be a lot less common or possibly even eliminated entirely. Not everything will be perfect in the beta, especially this early. A lot of the game is not even close to balanced.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zurai posted:

What? So winning a hard game isn't a challenge because failing to win the game doesn't matter? What the gently caress kind of logic are you using?

I wouldn't call it a "hard game" in this case, it's more of a series of isolated skill checks within the broader scope of a game which is by its nature fairly leisurely and non-threatening. What's the point of health if there's no deterrent from running out of it? You can just lay a trail of corpses into content that would normally be far outside your place in the game because death doesn't matter, or in a system where death is actively undesirable you can attempt the same things but more cautiously or creatively to make off with premature rewards.

I don't think this game is the sort of thing that needs to be incredibly harsh- and the death penalty is relatively tame compared to what other games stick you with- but asking why you need a death penalty at all is asking why you need to die at all if the condition is little more than a momentary time-out.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
So I've been working on something today..

Right now it's a lovely crop from some plans I found online, I just wanted to get the shipblocks.png done ASAP so testing it would be easier. I'll post some more shots once I have some graphics actually done.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Finally caught the drill name, it was Diamond Drill. Wonder if the drills are an outright replacement of the pick then or if they are just go up a similar progression (seems odd unless they are "like a pick but act differently" instead of being a better pick).. Of course it could all just be placeholders. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 10, 2013

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

Switched.on posted:

So I've been working on something today..

Right now it's a lovely crop from some plans I found online, I just wanted to get the shipblocks.png done ASAP so testing it would be easier. I'll post some more shots once I have some graphics actually done.

Is that from SpaceBucks? At least something good could come from that game...

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Can you read codices?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Above Our Own posted:

Can you read codices?
Yeah, but the process isn't super-intuitive. You have to activate them from your inventory (i.e. pick them up and click) and then read them from the codex menu.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yes? Just use them like everything else and they show up in your main codex.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yes? Just use them like everything else and they show up in your main codex.
Whats a main codex

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Above Our Own posted:

Whats a main codex

The book on the right side of your screen.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Enzer posted:

The Pixel bank is balanced around the new combat mechanics, and I would assume that pixels are probably going to be better rewarded for risk in the future. Why grind away 10,000 pixels in 1 Pixel drops when I can fight something that drops 100 Pixels but has a chance of killing me? Every few hundred I might want to store them for safe keeping, sure I will have to maybe kill ten or so more in the end to make up for it, but it would be better than dying, reviving at my ship, and dying soon again. I mean, I've literally died within 20 seconds of teleporting down to a planet's surface because there is a mob right next to me and its dealt a good chunk of damage before I've could retaliate.

Eh, at this point it becomes a numbers argument, which is probably ultimately pointless given the early beta state that we're in, but the actual numbers you're saying just don't hold true to how the game is right now.

On a TL1 starting planet, the weakest you can find, the monsters tend to drop somewhere in the area of 10-50 pixels per kill, usually leaning towards 10 (and occasionally dropping nothing). On a TL5 or 8 or some other higher-threat Alpha planet, they lean more towards 40 or 50, to the point that you commonly see 100+ pixels going to your inventory after killing a single group. Around the time I beat the UFO boss, the TL5 planet was completely trivial to me and my biggest risk of death was jumping off a hill that's slightly too high, and I still hadn't seen any crafting requirement even close to 10k; they were usually around 1k or less even for that tier. In the event that I did need to build up a lot of pixels (which never really happened, usually I could craft with whatever I had sitting around when I returned to my ship), I could easily have traveled to that TL5 planet and run continuously forward while swinging my sword and gathered it pretty quickly but boringly, as opposed to going somewhere high-risk and getting slightly more per kill but losing a huge portion of my earnings to either death or banking.

But yeah, you're right that it's pretty dumb to get annoyed with since all the specific numbers are almost definitely subject to change. Right now, though, banking is prohibitive enough to be completely out of the question, and it seems like those number changes would need to be very significant to actually change that, though if they manage to change combat to the point that no planets are ever completely trivial, I could see that working too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reiley posted:

I wouldn't call it a "hard game" in this case, it's more of a series of isolated skill checks within the broader scope of a game which is by its nature fairly leisurely and non-threatening. What's the point of health if there's no deterrent from running out of it? You can just lay a trail of corpses into content that would normally be far outside your place in the game because death doesn't matter, or in a system where death is actively undesirable you can attempt the same things but more cautiously or creatively to make off with premature rewards.

I don't think this game is the sort of thing that needs to be incredibly harsh- and the death penalty is relatively tame compared to what other games stick you with- but asking why you need a death penalty at all is asking why you need to die at all if the condition is little more than a momentary time-out.

You claimed that, if there is no price for failure, it cannot be a challenge. So, I ask you, is winning Battletoads on a single life not a challenge? There's no price for failure (other than wasted time, which you've already dismissed). I would certainly call it a challenge, since I've never been able to do it. I'm asking what your logic is in dismissing that as a challenge, because I cannot fathom it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Umberger posted:

That's a fair enough point. Keep in mind though: the armor/weapon system is being revamped soon and it's definitely possible that those situations will be a lot less common or possibly even eliminated entirely. Not everything will be perfect in the beta, especially this early. A lot of the game is not even close to balanced.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how those changes turn out, and hoping that copper armor (or even Iron) doesn't feel like nothing more than an expensive fashion accessory. Along with the hope for Copper weapons/bow as a middle ground between Stone and Iron. As much as I've been bitching about "My T1 Deathworld :qq:", it wasn't frustrating enough to make me stop wanting to try or love this beta.

I will admit the Snow gear the next day, and the fact the snow world my starter orbits around was much more forgiving and let me grab chunks of coal and Iron to get a leg up really helped though. I did get some sense of accomplishment going back home with a tiny 2 Iron Bar dagger and 10 bar shield I made all by myself (I got more coal and iron in a few screenlengths on T1 Iceworld than my entire struggle across and down the forest starter) and getting some REVENGE :black101: But Baby's first world should not be what you have to strive to grind up to conquer.

As much as I'm in this for the fun, I'm not completely against a death penalty. But I would also prefer if the bankable options down the line get more forgiving.

EDIT: Hell, one possible tweak would to make larger bars take less of a loss. 1k bar? that will be 40% you big baby. 10k bar? 10% loss Mr high roller.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 10, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Looks like angle and type of sword swing is now tied into how your mouse is positioned around your character, this will make fighting things with melee a lot smoother.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zurai posted:

You claimed that, if there is no price for failure, it cannot be a challenge. So, I ask you, is winning Battletoads on a single life not a challenge? There's no price for failure (other than wasted time, which you've already dismissed). I would certainly call it a challenge, since I've never been able to do it. I'm asking what your logic is in dismissing that as a challenge, because I cannot fathom it.

Battletoads is a whole entire game consisting of multiple trials whose failure has a set of escalating costs (losing health, then a life and then game over), beating the whole thing without dying isn't at all parallel to what I'm talking about. :psyduck:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Omni just showed some testing of aimable melee in stream, fyi

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
On the live-code-stream, are we getting swords that are aimable more than just left and right? If they have the directional property they are!

Edit: Beaten, that's what I get for explaining it to my buddy first.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2013

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

CapnBry posted:

On the live-code-stream, are we getting swords that are aimable more than just left and right? If they have the directional property they are!

Here's hoping that spears get the directional property.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
And he's testing a spear right now. Kinda buggy

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I can't believe you all are watching a stream of some guy developing the game this thread is about.

I can't believe I'm watching a stream of some guy developing the game this thread is about.

What am I doing with my life.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

Battletoads is a whole entire game consisting of multiple trials whose failure has a set of escalating costs (losing health, then a life and then game over), beating the whole thing without dying isn't at all parallel to what I'm talking about. :psyduck:

Again, you said that something cannot be a challenge if there is not price for failure, and dismissed time as a price. There is no price for failing at anything in any video game (except esports and the like) except time spent. Please explain your logic for your assertion.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zurai posted:

Again, you said that something cannot be a challenge if there is not price for failure. There is no price for failing at anything in any video game (except esports and the like) except time spent. Please explain your logic for your assertion.

Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you genuinely arguing that it is impossible for games to implement cost or penalty mechanics because they are games?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What button do you press to examine things and get those little text popups people are having?

VV Thanks for replies.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 10, 2013

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

LibbyM posted:

What button do you press to examine things and get those little text popups people are having?

N is the hotkey, you can also press the magnifying glass on the right of the screen

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LibbyM posted:

"N" or the Magnifying Glass off to the side if you can't handle shortcuts for some reason.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LibbyM posted:

There's a magnifying glass on the right you click that and then what you want to inspect.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Eegah posted:

I can't believe you all are watching a stream of some guy developing the game this thread is about.
Well some of us used to do game development work so it's uhhhhh professional research. I like how he also fixes bugs the same way I did. "Wait doesn't this work somewhere else? Grep! Oh yeah, need to use the method that corrects the vector mirror-wise instead of rotation-wise"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you genuinely arguing that it is impossible for games to implement cost or penalty mechanics because they are games?

Where do you get that out of my questions? Maybe it's you who is obtuse?

My question remains unanswered: how is something which is difficult to accomplish but has no price for failure not a challenge?

I'm not claiming that it's impossible to implement cost or penalties in games, I have no earthly idea where you got that idea from. I'm saying that challenges do not require costs or penalties. You can have something be challenging without it being punitive. Masochists aren't the only people who can accomplish challenges.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
e: Possibly fake.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 10, 2013

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm pretty impressed with the level of response from the devs to the early player's concerns. Gives me hope for the final product.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Personally I'd just ask what value he puts on his time, then tell him to paint my house for a shiny nickel because that's clearly a fair exchange.

edit: me am post slow

Denzine fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 10, 2013

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Umberger posted:

:siren: [05:08] <Tiyuri> Alright everyone, thank you for your patience. The update is being uploaded to steam right now. It should be ready for download within 30 minutes. Remember to send us feedback on reddit.com/starbound or at our forums at community.playstarbound.com :siren:

I can't hold onto my butt much longer, been begging for this update since forever!

Can't wait to see how smoothly the beginning goes from last time.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

dumpster17 posted:

Is that from SpaceBucks? At least something good could come from that game...
Looks like Serenity to me.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Umberger posted:

:siren: [05:08] <Tiyuri> Alright everyone, thank you for your patience. The update is being uploaded to steam right now. It should be ready for download within 30 minutes. Remember to send us feedback on reddit.com/starbound or at our forums at community.playstarbound.com :siren:

Was anyone actually in IRC to witness this? It's just copy-pasted from some Reddit thread that suddenly popped up while everyone in the stream chat was saying the build is being uploaded, and then the developer said it isn't. He said he would let us know the moment it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shabadu posted:

I'm pretty impressed with the level of response from the devs to the early player's concerns. Gives me hope for the final product.

I'm not surprised, though. They've impressed me in the past.

• Locked thread