Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ran through the refreshed hunt missions. Got 9 standard tokens. The only things that werent 1* were Thors and Dooms that I'd already maxed out. Then I won a Heroic Hunt token and got... Thor. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Ran through the refreshed hunt missions. Got 9 standard tokens. The only things that werent 1* were Thors and Dooms that I'd already maxed out. Then I won a Heroic Hunt token and got... Thor. :negative:

On the flip side I've got a magneto classic of every color from standard tokens in the past 2 days. Now can I justify dropping 2500 hero coins on him and not spidey, so I have a better shot in lightning rounds? Not sure. Crippled with indecision.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
gently caress yes, I had two red ragnarok covers and decided last night to blow my banked 2500 HP and took him to 0/4. Just broke 250 for the heroic dark avengers token this morning, expected bullseye, got Rag's green. Bring on this week's lightning rounds.

I fully endorse powering up a beefy lightning round villain to be a contender and look too scary to attack. I can't loving wait. Rag and Doom have crazy health and both go pretty well with wolverine.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

bubbapook posted:

This, but without the Spidey cover. gently caress Thor covers, seriously.

See, this is my exact problem. Part of why I haven't spent Hero Points on finishing up Wolverine's Healing Factor is I'm convinced it will start throwing yellow covers at me if I do. Also I blew all my points on roster space. :v: Saving up that 500 now though. Just need 50 more or so.

In regards to Yelena. Payback Mission is a killer. Was on that last Alaska mission with Venom (I hate it when he has 10000+ health), Daken and Yelena. Beat Venom, beat Daken, was taking a while to finish Yelena. Payback Mission blew up Thor, blew up Invisible Woman, and cut Wolverine's health in half. All those Strike tiles I'd filled the board with came back to bite me. Really I think she could be a really good Wolverine counter, but it only really works for the AI when they can give her enough health to last.

Also for a laugh, had a look in the prologue again to see what rating the game gave that Ragnarok fight I used to think was really hard. Trivial. That was fun to see.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

WetSpink posted:

On the flip side I've got a magneto classic of every color from standard tokens in the past 2 days. Now can I justify dropping 2500 hero coins on him and not spidey, so I have a better shot in lightning rounds? Not sure. Crippled with indecision.

Magneto Classic is a beast and one of the best characters in the game. Blue and Purple are his key colors and Blue is harder to get (top 8 in LR as compared to top 15), so if you're intent on spending HPs that's where I'd do it. (Though once you get on a roll with him his covers are more accessible than Spidey's, thanks to LRs, so give it some thought.)

As the AP cost of Magnetic Field drops, it becomes more and more useful, and if you get it to level 5 where it's 5 APs to use it is fantastic. Three blues anywhere on the board that could be part of a line, T, + or L == instant critical and you get all of your APs back to do it again somewhere else. Then let the board refill with blues and reds a bit and drop the bomb with Translocation.

Speaking of, I just got Red Rag from a Standard token. :getin: I burned my accumulated HPs and now he's at 2/4, so now he's gone from a nuisance to a measurable threat. Team Magnarok-Man is almost ready.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Looks like Alaska got those critical tiles back and they even give you Hawkeye this time. It's hilarious though how his passive ability shines much brighter in this setting since you get more criticals.

I decided to throw down some cash for the devs, plus it gives me some room to play with awful characters. :yotj:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just used three Standard Tokens and rolled Original Widow, Grey Widow and a green Astonishing Wolverine. I feel like I hit some kind of jackpot.

I'm also really bummed out I deleted my last Astonishing Wolverine a while back to make space for Modern Hawkeye, thinking "oh I use Daken instead and they're basically the same only I've got a maxed out Daken here, plus who cares I only built him up to level twenty five, I don't want to waste hero points on new cover slots." What is wrong with late night me.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Dark Avengers is proving easier than I expected. The only high level DA I have is a level 60 Daken, but my first DA token pulled an Adamantium Bones Bullseye and the team of those two is pretty hard to beat. Daken makes strike tiles and heals himself, Bullseye makes guard tiles so Daken stays at full health (and never attacks or gets hit), and my stupid green level 15 Ragnarok clears out the middle occasionally.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm finding that I really like Moonstone, but I don't quite know how to skill her. I just got a fourth red cover, but I'm loathe to put it into a skill that only increases damage. However, control shift costs 17 black, and is extremely situational. Though, if she stole a IM40 recharge, would she get stunned? Would IM40 still get stunned?

EDIT: Oh wow. She's actually just as tanky as IM35.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm finding that I really like Moonstone, but I don't quite know how to skill her.

Yeah I've been levelling up my Moonstone as well... if only cause I have one with a bunch of skills, and other people in my bracket seem to have no Dark Avengers at all. It's funny, I can fight guys who just have a single character sometimes.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm finding that I really like Moonstone, but I don't quite know how to skill her. I just got a fourth red cover, but I'm loathe to put it into a skill that only increases damage. However, control shift costs 17 black, and is extremely situational. Though, if she stole a IM40 recharge, would she get stunned? Would IM40 still get stunned?

I'm not sure how to work around her purple either, since putting in 3 covers, it displaces 3 gems, but only moves one ability one? So confusing.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Isn't it that it can affect more colours of special tile?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Moonstone also has the advantage of doing red damage, which if you don't have Rags is surprisingly difficult to come by with Dark Avengers, who all are spec'd purple-black-green.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Moonstone also has the advantage of doing red damage, which if you don't have Rags is surprisingly difficult to come by with Dark Avengers, who all are spec'd purple-black-green.

I'm loathe to level her, though, entirely because of this. Dakken is my DA tank, and if Moonstone gets leveled high enough then she starts making the red matches and taking the hits for the next round.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Another Hunt token, another Thor. I think that's 8 out of 8! :v:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Dear Game,

Please stop giving me Thor covers.

Sincerely,

Audio

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Today, goon has killed goon.

Bad is bad :(

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Gonna echo the goons above me; every time I roll a heroic hunt token, I think, "sure would be great if I get a Spiderman or grey widow" and it's just a sea of thors and Hawkeye modern, who is rapidly approaching max covers. :negative:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

Today, goon has killed goon.

Bad is bad :(

Haha I have only play 1 match so far. Sorry, you were the first not 70+ ragnarok I found.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Haha I have only play 1 match so far. Sorry, you were the first not 70+ ragnarok I found.

That's odd, I thought for sure my L28 Ragnarok/L26 Venom/L14 Daken would scare everyone away.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I confirm for you that the stun applies to the 'owner' of the Recharge, so she gets stunned and IM40 doesn't.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chrisf posted:

I just found out from trying that the description isn't correct. It won't grab your own special tiles, so it's a decent damage ability for 8 purple and not blocked by your own daken or bullseye.

That's good to know. Makes that ability more useful since you're usually dealing with one color of enemy tile (unless fighting Modern Storm) so you can judge it pretty well. Aside from goons, anyway.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
EDIT: Nevermind. Derped.

EDIT2: Sitting at #2 in this Bad is Good tournament. First place is at 539 to my 350. Have fun with that Invisible Woman cover while I get three Spidey covers :smugdog:

This Moonstone/Bullseye/Daken team is ridiculous. Nothing scratches you after a few matches, Daken is invincible, and Moonstone tanks the purple matches for Bullseye so he never gets killed. I only need to use one health pack every 5 games.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 10, 2013

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Dear game. Please give me lots of thors. I loving hate iron man and Captain America they're boring butts.

Also stop giving me Juggernaut and Hawkeye this poo poo isn't loving funny anymore.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's probably just the event talking, but I REALLY like Modern Hawkeye now. I have him around level 45 and he's my heavy hitter even with a 51 Thor in the party. The third slot is a lovely Spierman just for filler since I only have a single red-power Model 40. I think the only thing he's good for is Spider Sense and taking hits for Hawkeye when he dashes away.

Somehow I'm in the top 80 for the week long event. Wonder how long that will last. I usually place in the top 200 for some of the other sub-events, but I can't touch most of the Impossible missions. That's a HUGE jump in difficulty.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

That's odd, I thought for sure my L28 Ragnarok/L26 Venom/L14 Daken would scare everyone away.

Not compared to the 20ish level 112 ragnaroks I had to skip to find your team.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Is there a known max for health packs? I've gotten a ridiculous amount from the last two PvE events. I'm at 90 and counting because I generally just save them for revives and end of event rushes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Whoever was talking about the Hunt event point values being borked or whatever earlier was right. The last two events I hit the point where I was getting literally no rewards from all available repeatables and still hadn't broken top 400 yet. I've been on a steady decline from my top spot in the main event too.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Not compared to the 20ish level 112 ragnaroks I had to skip to find your team.
Aye, 'tis :thejoke:

Verily.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

So the lightning round. When's a good time to jump into those?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tezzeract posted:

So the lightning round. When's a good time to jump into those?

Right at the beginning, for my money. You get to fight dummy accounts for quick points and, if you're at all serious about placing decently, you'll need 'em.

If you don't care about going for top 25 or above, go until at least 100 points for ISO + a token, 250 if you're frisky and want the second token. If you don't use boosts, you can fight the whole time and rack up ISO.

If you have a particular villain in mind, do terribly in the round or two before that.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I really can't get red Iron Man covers to save my life. I have Yellow maxed with one in blue and red.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dizz posted:

Dear game. Please give me lots of thors. I loving hate iron man and Captain America they're boring butts.

Also stop giving me Juggernaut and Hawkeye this poo poo isn't loving funny anymore.

I really wish you had the ability to give away covers. Pretty much all I got from the Hunt tokens is Thor covers that are useless to me. In fact, every since the last patch all my rolls have been horrible. I don't even care though, as long as I can get my 3 wolverine covers in a few days :getin:

[e] I really wish they would stop these events where your entire team is chosen.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Trading covers would be really useful but it would prevent them from milking any money they'd potentially get so it would never happen.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Protip: creating force bubbles around every single square crashes the game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Yeah, these lightning rounds kick my butt. I guess there's always paying to win, but I'd rather keep the hero points for slots.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dizz posted:

Trading covers would be really useful but it would prevent them from milking any money they'd potentially get so it would never happen.

That makes me think of an interesting angle to monetize the game a bit better. They could steal from the Rage of Bahamut model, introduce an auction house and make Health Packs the currency of choice. Sell less rolls on the covers slot machines but a whooooooole lot more Health Packs.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

BGrifter posted:

That makes me think of an interesting angle to monetize the game a bit better. They could steal from the Rage of Bahamut model, introduce an auction house and make Health Packs the currency of choice. Sell less rolls on the covers slot machines but a whooooooole lot more Health Packs.

:wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful:

Do not even PRETEND like you want the Mobage model implemented here. They might hear you. At present, it's at least possible to compete in this game without spending money monthly.

(nothing personal, but I have horrible memories of Fantasica. reflex)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

delfin posted:

:wrongful::wrongful::wrongful::wrongful:

Do not even PRETEND like you want the Mobage model implemented here. They might hear you. At present, it's at least possible to compete in this game without spending money monthly.

(nothing personal, but I have horrible memories of Fantasica. reflex)

I tend to do pretty well in any game where an AH is implemented, but I can see how it wouldn't work out too well for the average non-AH sperglord. The stupidity of the average whale tends to subsidize top tier collections for a whole lotta goons once an auction house enters the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

The funny thing is, every time I reach the point of unequivocally believing that my standard cover pulls are broken and will never get anything over a 1-star, I come here and read about some fucker getting multiple Rag covers.