Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

My dad is the airship from Final Fantasy IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ShadeofDante posted:

Help.

I've contracted the "Random" rule on Triple Triad and I keep spreading it, and can't abolish it. I don't want the one part of the game that I enjoy ruined forever. :sigh:

And this is why I can never fully get behind Triple Triad being a great minigame. That assertion has to be accompanied by a giant pulsing asterisk saying "assuming you jump through a million hoops and game the RNG to abolish all the pain in the rear end rules."

I'm sure there are FAQs describing exactly how to spread the rules you want, though. Good luck.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
Couple of pages late but let's not forget that while all of the heavy duty bullshit is going on in FFVII your party is also collecting drag, fighting TURKS, riding dolphins, using airplanes as boats, participating in a TV rated parade and kidnapping dogs to ride on submarines.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except it's not at all? Like it's actually really set up and kind of the loving point of Cloud's character and his connection to Sephiroth and the main narrative. Literally from Cloud's first interaction with Tifa and every time he's alone you get hints that things aren't at all what they seem. And not every character is lying to you. Only Cloud. Tifa's memory is faulty and was passed out for most of the event so she just doesn't say anything against Cloud and Sephiroth was wrong about everything from the start. Hell, he believes Jenovah was an ancient and his mom because some notes say that he was experimented on, which is kind of stupid on the face of it but he is so convinced he goes crazy.

And it's only the backstory you're unsure of. Literally the rest of the game is pretty reliably told to you, since you're actually seeing happen as it happens. You're not being Yanked Around, they're setting up a plot point and writing towards it.

Character backstory is like the most important thing to FF7. There's an entire continent where nothing but Nibelheim connects to the main narrative and you just bounce between character backstories for however long until you get a boat. To have the backstory you actually play through to be a lie and to have the real one play through by mashing confirm through dialogue windows is something I see as a problem, just like having most of Cloud's character interactions be him pretending to be someone else. I guess I'd be more lenient if it came earlier in the game, or even if the player was an active participant in resolving it, but Cloud doesn't get his poo poo together because of anything the player does, it's just random happenstance that he gets cured. The player is a passive figure in this really important part of the story, but we actively participate in something that turns out to be a lie, which is a pretty good case of yanking around.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm sure there are FAQs describing exactly how to spread the rules you want, though. Good luck.

There are, but I can sum it up in two words: reset repeatedly.

NikkolasKing posted:

People say that the whole "kill everyone to save them" is bland and overused by this point but that's the same crowd that says killing god is something to expect from a JRPG.

The "kill everyone to save them" thing is not just a JRPG thing, dude. It really is an absurdly common cliche because it's in basically everything, including what some people in real life actually believe and use as justification to commit murder.

It's hard to believe but not everything in a JRPG has to be over-the-top anime shenanigans.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Quickly changing gears for a moment, a few months back I recall someone asking if the info pic for this year's FFV Four Job Fiesta was ever posted. I don't recall there ever being a response in the thread, but checking the NeoGAF thread, here's the links to the info image:

PNG format
PDF format

Looking forward to Fiesta 2014! :toot:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Quickly changing gears for a moment, a few months back I recall someone asking if the info pic for this year's FFV Four Job Fiesta was ever posted. I don't recall there ever being a response in the thread, but checking the NeoGAF thread, here's the links to the info image:

PNG format
PDF format

Wow, nearly half of those who completed Team 750 runs beat both superbosses. Sure, Team 750 was almost like easy mode, but still.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

The "kill everyone to save them" thing is not just a JRPG thing, dude. It really is an absurdly common cliche because it's in basically everything, including what some people in real life actually believe and use as justification to commit murder.

It's hard to believe but not everything in a JRPG has to be over-the-top anime shenanigans.

And killing deities obviously didn't start with JRPGs either.

All things are cliche and all things have been done. I have always felt that is easily the worst reason for not liking something, second only to "I dislike it because I dislike the fandom."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

W.T. Fits posted:

PNG format
PDF format

Next time I'll finish a run. For sure, next time! :argh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat it, reading this thread made me want to go back and play VII but the Qhimm forums are down and I don't know where else to go to make the game not look like utter poo poo. Any ideas?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Awesome Welles posted:

God drat it, reading this thread made me want to go back and play VII but the Qhimm forums are down and I don't know where else to go to make the game not look like utter poo poo. Any ideas?

Just play the game?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just play the game?

That would be too easy. :negative:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

Browse the steam forums and guides, you might get lucky. There are a million pages of them, though, so some patience required.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pasteurized Milk posted:

My dad is the airship from Final Fantasy IV.

Constantly getting his holes plugged by a man named Cid?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hub Dirt posted:

Couple of pages late but let's not forget that while all of the heavy duty bullshit is going on in FFVII your party is also collecting drag, fighting TURKS, riding dolphins, using airplanes as boats, participating in a TV rated parade and kidnapping dogs to ride on submarines.

This is basically why I enjoyed FFVIII for any amount of time. I've basically come to assume that a given game's plot will be garbage (I can count the number of game i would recommend for the narrative on one hand), but FFVIII just did so much crazy bullshit it was hard not to enjoy some of it. So my graduation exam for my highschool-for-vicious-killers is storming the Normandy beaches? gently caress yeah. So the plan is to steal a traincar off a moving train? Awesome. We're gonna assassinate the head of the world's leading military power, in the middle of a public parade being held in her honor? I like where this is going. My high school for vicious murderers can uproot itself from the ground and fly? And we're going to crash it into another flying high school for vicious murderers? The only way this could get crazier would be if I get to beat the poo poo out of a guy on a jetpack while thousands of feet above the ground.

FFVIII was pretty bad in a lot of ways, but it was the best at being an insane action movie every once in a while, which I think counts for something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MonsieurChoc posted:

She thought she died, and then woke up way the gently caress away without knowing who saved her or how. So when Cloud shows up claiming things went differently, how is she to know she's not the one remembering incorrectly?

She has a picture of herself with Sephiroth and Zack, for starters?

But on the other hand, Cloud does kind of bash his way through things in Midgar so who are they to judge whether he's SOLDIER or not?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Constantly getting his holes plugged by a man named Cid?

No a loving Whale.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Entirely unsurprised that Bards were the most common job between superboss killers.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

No a loving Whale.

No, he's right. Times were tough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

This is basically why I enjoyed FFVIII for any amount of time. I've basically come to assume that a given game's plot will be garbage (I can count the number of game i would recommend for the narrative on one hand), but FFVIII just did so much crazy bullshit it was hard not to enjoy some of it. So my graduation exam for my highschool-for-vicious-killers is storming the Normandy beaches? gently caress yeah. So the plan is to steal a traincar off a moving train? Awesome. We're gonna assassinate the head of the world's leading military power, in the middle of a public parade being held in her honor? I like where this is going. My high school for vicious murderers can uproot itself from the ground and fly? And we're going to crash it into another flying high school for vicious murderers? The only way this could get crazier would be if I get to beat the poo poo out of a guy on a jetpack while thousands of feet above the ground.

FFVIII was pretty bad in a lot of ways, but it was the best at being an insane action movie every once in a while, which I think counts for something.

Yeah but almost all of those events account for like 30 minutes tops of a much much longer game. I really liked the aesthetics and the top to bottom insanity of 8. I mean, how can you not kinda like a game where the narrative at any point can come to a grinding halt so you can indulge in some card game nonsense. But everything mechanically made me really hate it. I never indulged in the minutiae enough to "break" the game, so I just wandered joylessly through a game that knew it was so bad that the developers just included an in game way to skip every fight and beeline to the finale.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pasteurized Milk posted:

No, he's right. Times were tough.

How many moms worth would you say it was, where one mom is the standard metric of toughness?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does this PSX FFV that showed up on the Vita store today suffer from the same loading problems as the other SNES ports? Because I really do want to play V, but I never got fully invested in the iOS version because it seems way too cramped for the touch stuff.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Great Lakes Log posted:

Does this PSX FFV that showed up on the Vita store today suffer from the same loading problems as the other SNES ports? Because I really do want to play V, but I never got fully invested in the iOS version because it seems way too cramped for the touch stuff.

My mother has FFV on her iPhone 5 (yeah, she's cool like that) and she does say it's pretty cramped and not very comfortable to play. However, I have the game on my Droid DNA where my screen is the size of her entire phone, and I feel like I have plenty of space there.

For extra comparison's sake, the screen on the Droid DNA is roughly the same size as the Vita's screen.

However, I am also someone who purchased Final Fantasy IV: The After Years twice (IV Complete Collection and Android), so perhaps my opinion and advice on anything should be ignored.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 11, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All this FF7 talk makes me want to replay it too. Who can recommend a fun and interesting challenge run for me to attempt?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

All this FF7 talk makes me want to replay it too. Who can recommend a fun and interesting challenge run for me to attempt?

No Green or Red Materia Run.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Great Lakes Log posted:

I never had too much of a problem with load times on the PSX FFV (but then again, FFIX battles never bothered me much, so take it with a grain of salt). But I have heard others confirm that loading was not nearly as much of a problem for V as it was for VI or Chrono Trigger.

Hopefully they have it running better on Vita than they did on PS2, though- half the time you went to save, the entire screen would become a jumble of hosed-up pixels. If you knew how many times to move the cursor it still worked fine, though. On the PS3, it would just straight-up freeze when you went to save.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bongo Bill posted:

Make up FF jobs from Materia combos, assign each character a job, and go from there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Make up FF jobs from Materia combos, assign each character a job, and go from there.

For the first third of the game everyone is a red mage! I don't remember how long it takes before you start getting stuff that's not green materia really. Main problem i that there are different slots according to armor and you have to change loadouts throughout the game if you want to keep your weapons up to date and stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Don't forget about being shot into space because that will somehow help your comatose girlfriend.

FF really needs a game where you go into space again. FFIV kinda did it and then VII an VIII both did it but we haven't been to teh stars in a couple generations.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

Narrative hierarchy of FF games:

1) FFVII
2) FFX

gap

all other FF games

cliff

FFVIII

A good and correct post. And while it might have the worst story of any game ever, FFVIII really did have some great action sequences.

I remember people mentioning a few pages back that they were going to make a couple of small fixes to FFX in the remake to make things a bit less annoying (something to do with the arena and maybe dark yojimbo). Anyone know what these changes are?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
For real no single discreet playable moment in a Final Fantasy game was as balls to the wall action as Squall tackling a dude WITH A JETPACK and then OH poo poo FIGHTING MINIGAME, then it turns out the fighting minigame has SECRET MOVES and if the rest of the game was like that it could have worked.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, nearly half of those who completed Team 750 runs beat both superbosses. Sure, Team 750 was almost like easy mode, but still.

That's because a Team 750 player is overwhelmingly likely to have any number of ways to inflict the status effects that trivialize the superbosses.

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 11, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

For real no single discreet playable moment in a Final Fantasy game was as balls to the wall action as Squall tackling a dude WITH A JETPACK and then OH poo poo FIGHTING MINIGAME, then it turns out the fighting minigame has SECRET MOVES and if the rest of the game was like that it could have worked.

Whoa whoa, there were secret moves? I've always just slammed square until I won.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Block a lot and you can unleash a DEATHBLOW which is loving awesome at 12 years old.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Schwartzcough posted:

Makes me feel kind of bad about burning out on FFV on my Team 750 Run. It was Easy Mode to be sure, I just had to go play something else. Maybe someday I'll go back and beat it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mr. Maltose posted:

So you wanted the game to be more like Uncharted? Because if that's the case, XV's got you covered.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Block a lot and you can unleash a DEATHBLOW which is loving awesome at 12 years old.

FFVIII was literally the perfect game for when I was like 10. It required no grinding, strategy was entirely defeated by simply slapping magic on my dudes even with pisspoor optimization, and every single disconnected sequence was awesome unless you stopped to think about it for upwards of 5 seconds.

Which you know, being 10, you don't do.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Barudak posted:

FFVIII was literally the perfect game for when I was like 10. It required no grinding, strategy was entirely defeated by simply slapping magic on my dudes even with pisspoor optimization, and every single disconnected sequence was awesome unless you stopped to think about it for upwards of 5 seconds.

Which you know, being 10, you don't do.

Now I wish I was 7-8 years younger. For more reasons than usual.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Krad posted:

So you wanted the game to be more like Uncharted? Because if that's the case, XV's got you covered.

Not in mechanics, but in attitude. Less maudlin, more two fisted action.

Which I just realized may have been what you meant so let's hope XV delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, on its surface, I can kind of actually appreciate the story that FF13 is supposed to be telling. Basically, the "classic" Final Fantasy plot is that the world is in danger, so some benevolent crystal-like entities grant some wandering adventures fabulous powers and charge them with defeating evil and saving the day. FF13 is supposed to be a clever inversion of that story, where those entities aren't all that benevolent.

Unfortunately, the direction the writers took this in was to shove the plot up its own rear end and force it to inhale deeply.