Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
The one thing Terraria does better in my opinion is that it's more clear what a weapon's hitbox is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Motherfucker posted:

I wonder who the dev is actually listening too when doing these balance changes :psyduck:

They're probably just winging all the numbers to be in the ballpark of what they want them to be while they're working on more indepth systems. Tweaking numbers up/down to get exactly the correct balance can wait until the game is actually resembling something complete.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So I remember before the big patch you could find Aegisalt pretty much only on level 33 planets.

Now that there's no such thing as level 33 planets, where's the Aegisalt? I've been looking on level 3 planets and haven't found any.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sword_man.gif posted:

The one thing Terraria does better in my opinion is that it's more clear what a weapon's hitbox is.

The enemy hitboxes are wonky right now too. You can fire arrows right through the heads of some of the taller ones.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

djw175 posted:

I love that we live in a world where apparently frequent changes to fix a thing are now considered bad design.

They seem to be currently fixing one thing while breaking two or more other more important things, I won't be able to play much at all for the next few weeks so it doesn't matter to me, but my two carebear friends who have played almost constantly since release aren't playing this newest patch at all because of all the early game issues, i.e all early armor being useless and how much time you need to spend on mining coal now instead of just knocking down a handful of trees while you're exploring the planet.

I'm still happy with the rate of development and I'm sure these bugs will be fixed pretty soon (and things that are just bad decisions revised hopefully) but don't try to pretend that this latest patch is an improvement gameplay wise for people who just want to have fun because it really isn't.

Personally I would rather they took a bit more time with their patches rather then trying to rush them out constantly like this, not that it isn't impressive, but I think the rush is showing in the quality.

Harry Joe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 11, 2013

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

GreenMarine posted:

One thing I think they could do is slightly reduce the variance of the starting experience. Lots of friends at work are playing the game and we've noticed that the quality of the experience (and resulting stickiness) varies widely. Laidlaw started on a world with poison pools and firebreathing birds...he's fairly new to this kind of game and it just beat the hell out of him. It's one data point, but I imagine the devs could pretty easily measure how much a player sticks to the game and what their starting experience and rate of consumption of content/materials looked like and make adjustments from there. I bet it correlates to certain kinds of discoveries and challenges.

This is so familiar, my first ever planet which I only just managed to build a shelter on is really hilly, has poison pools and the enemies all do an impressive amount of damage, like acid and fire dropping bids who hit me for 60 damage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So is there any better way to prep for the first boss now? Seems like there's not much you can do after making iron armor but hope you've found a decent weapon (ooh, 11 dps) and try your best. Unless of course you luck upon or use the coordinates sheet for an avian gun trader.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Vib Rib posted:

So is there any better way to prep for the first boss now? Seems like there's not much you can do after making iron armor but hope you've found a decent weapon (ooh, 11 dps) and try your best. Unless of course you luck upon or use the coordinates sheet for an avian gun trader.

Throw bombs at him.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Stringbean posted:

So what's the secret of getting into multiplayer now? I keep trying to join servers and its giving me password errors all the time. Regardless if they have a password or not.

I've had some issues too. I'm still fooling with things... Just downloading it from Steam it works fine, but if I edit the configuration file to have a different server password ( etc/Starbound/assets/defualt_configuration.config) then Starbound and Starbound's server process crash on launch. Kinda mystifying.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

Omni was working on weapon animations last night, implementing 8-way directional hits, between how weapons swing (especially spears) and their little special effects, it looked like it was a lot easier to tell where you were hitting and what your reach is, so that is an improvement to look forward to whenever that part of the code is implemented.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

djw175 posted:

I love that we live in a world where apparently frequent changes to fix a thing are now considered bad design.

That's taking what I said completely out of context. I was stating that the system currently implemented is worse than what existed around the 7th/8th; the weapons and armour systems were by no means broken in their iteration at that point in time. They became broken by the next patch/version, and that was certainly not a good thing, but the hotfix they implemented to "fix a thing" changed the systems in general to something worse than what existed around the 7th/8th. Beta is beta, and the developers should indeed be commended for being resolved in fixing issues that constitute a huge problem in regards to balance. I was not criticising them for that, but rather, what I perceived to be bad designs decisions in regards to the treatment of armour and weapons. Further, the point I brought up concerning the rapidity of the changes was, itself, not a criticism at all; rather, it was simply a voiced concern that such rapidity could prove contrary towards the goal of finding and resolving problems in a beta via user input.

Frankly, I'm somewhat perturbed that you would take my post to be in the context that you suggested. It's... somewhat offensive. As regards the topic of criticism of certain decisions by users, I feel it must also be said that people shouldn't take such things to be a serious insult to the developers and as unworthy of debate. Is it not the purpose of a user to bring up perceived problems with given systems, especially and particularly in an early beta situation like this?

E: Also, I really like your avatar, you [insert insult here]

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Man I just found a bigass hammer made out of skulls and it shits out a wave of bones across the screen every time I swing. This thing rules :black101:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I have a server running the latest patch, free for any goon to use. No griefing, just connect and play with fellow goons! If you want the IP, PM me on the forums. Feel free to invite TRUSTED friends. I'd like to keep this server only for goons and friends of goons and foster a decent sense of teamwork/community.

No PW atm but all admin controls are functional so banning works and we'll have server logins set up soon. Server is set up on a pretty powerful machine so we'll see how it goes!

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 11, 2013

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
In my personal opinion, the weapon balance never felt so right as it does now, after this last patch. Armor definitely could be bumped up a little, even double the current value would feel a bit too hard. I just feel like there should be more variety on a tier's planets, but going from here I think they will manage. They're on the right path, IMO.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
After getting to tier 2 in the new balance update, I like the balance better. The first tier just seemed pretty unfair, nothing you could build or find was much better than the starter sword and the enemies, at least on the planets I was on, were able to kill me in just a few hits even if I had iron armor. Also the birds are insane. It seems a bit fairer once you get past tier 1 though.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I have a server running the latest patch, free for any goon to use. No griefing, just connect and play with fellow goons! If you want the IP, PM me on the forums. Feel free to invite TRUSTED friends. I'd like to keep this server only for goons and friends of goons and foster a decent sense of teamwork/community.

No PW atm but all admin controls are functional so banning works and we'll have server logins set up soon. Server is set up on a pretty powerful machine so we'll see how it goes!

Put it in Private Game Servers.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

MrTheDevious posted:

Man I just found a bigass hammer made out of skulls and it shits out a wave of bones across the screen every time I swing. This thing rules :black101:

Don't swing it in your fully decorated ship. :smith:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I agree with Dented Lamp. The changes were way too fast and didn't give people time to think things over.

I'm still honestly scratching my head over the complete overhaul of the weapons. It feels like the armor penetration system worked fine. It was great that you were constantly progressing in content, the problem was it was too easy to trivialize the early game content before you ran into the one-shotting phenomena and lack of content- which is completely fine because the game is unfinished and it shows. One of the problems of one shotting is the fact that any armor after the snow gear was incredibly hard to obtain and required you to go to a tier of content you weren't equipped for. This was a byproduct of the lack of additional weapons and armor per tier of content.

What they should have done instead of "Armor penetration" was give weapons levels, level 1-100 just like monsters. There wouldn't be armor penetration, the weapon would just do more damage the higher level it is. Every level monsters have more and more hitpoints. Add more crafted armor and weapons per tier. So let's say now you need 10 iron bars to make a level 10 sword, the next step up would a level 15 weapon which is 25 iron bars and 2 silver as well as that previous iron weapon and so on. This would make random weapon drops more interesting because you could get a weapon way better than the content you're doing at the moment or trash.

One of the other great things about the 1-100 system was you could look at a planet at a glance and know exactly how difficult it was and what you were in for when you landed. Before the character wipe I could go to a level 13-14 planet and expect to have an easy time with difficulty coming out at night. I could go to a level 17 planet and expect to be in for a serious fight.

Now not only can I not use wood as fuel and am forced to spend hours on the first planet, but when I look at a planet all I know about it at this point is what type of biome it is.

So yeah, I'm incredibly disappointed in these changes. I think I'll wait a while till I play the game again.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like this new system because before it was pretty much, I'd one shot the creature I was fighting or it would one shot me and that was pretty much the entire thing and it was retarded and boring.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

djw175 posted:

The pervasive "Here's a beta! It's a week before launch and not a beta at all!" Thing has changed what most consumers think a beta is. Blame EA and the like.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Well I might as well uninstall because I don't think anything is going to beat finding a poop-monster underneath a Glitch cult.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The birds on my starting planet freak me out. They look weird and their primary attack is to spew streams of blood at me. Think I'm gonna leave that hellhole next chance I get.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
As for balance suggestions, maybe make flying enemies super rare for the Alpha planets? Getting destroyed by some acid blood vomiting flying ball of eyes isn't very fun when you're just starting out.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

DentedLamp posted:

No, the character wipes aren't actually that deleterious -- the whole bit about the first character was just a bit of facetiousness. It's more that the drastic changes occurring on a day-by-day basis make it difficult to progress a character to more advanced content in an enjoyable manner, and that itself is contrary to the purposes of the beta. Developers can scarcely obtain a wealth of information on potential balance issues in the post-starting tiers if the majority of their player/testing base is not given the chance to advance beyond silver (or gold) and the first boss, after all.

I don't really mean to argue, but the first priority of the beta seems to have been (and still is, apparently) to make sure the game runs and stays running consistently for most people. Second, to balance the things which they have attempted to balance, which are currently tiers 1-3 (maybe 4?). Tiy (or maybe other Starbound devs?) has said multiple times that the stuff past those tiers is just shoveled in there for people to play with if they want.

DentedLamp posted:

I was stating that the system currently implemented is worse than what existed around the 7th/8th; the weapons and armour systems were by no means broken in their iteration at that point in time.

I'm really not certain what you're referring to here, because there was no smooth way to advance past tier 2 prior to now. As it is, I was able to actually beat both the first and second boss without needing to resort to cheese tactics, and I was even able to survive a few hits. I know by Dec 7th they had apparently tweaked the first boss and I had beaten him prior to that, but the second still one-shotted me in tier-2 armor.

All battles were either you one-shotting enemies or getting one-shotted. That isn't the case now, though the over-aggressive birds are a bit annoying.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Vib Rib posted:

The first boss died really quickly to my Iron Hunting Bow. Like it had enough time to drop off two minions and then it dropped dead.
Maybe a wandering bird decided to poo poo all over it? :iiam:

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

As for balance suggestions, maybe make flying enemies super rare for the Alpha planets? Getting destroyed by some acid blood vomiting flying ball of eyes isn't very fun when you're just starting out.

I see that we have differing definitions of fun. Frankly, I'm confused as to how any individual cannot enjoy a nice session of being murdered by a chthonian creature vomiting its blood down upon you astride the beautiful autumn eyeball trees.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Reason posted:

I like this new system because before it was pretty much, I'd one shot the creature I was fighting or it would one shot me and that was pretty much the entire thing and it was retarded and boring.

Pretty much this. I don't get how anyone can think the old system was good when anything two levels above your armor value would just one or two shot you, and the only thing you could do about it was get a weapon that would one shot them. I will say that some of the projectile attacks are way to strong at the moment.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Thanks to my lovely Wi-Fi connection I'm still rolling with Annoyed Koala from the 5th. And I'm actually saying 'thanks' in a sincere way...it sounds like the last couple updates have been pretty broken.

Of course the version I have has it's issues too, but right now it seems like it would be smart to stick with this one until they iron things out. At least this way I can continue stabbing monsters through the dirt walls of my hut. :downs:

(Also why does it say October 12th on the Launcher?)

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 11, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

President Ark posted:

Throw bombs at him.
I tried this and most of the time it would just get to close and id end up blowing myself up along with it.

The pervasive "Here's a beta! It's a week before launch and not a beta at all!" Thing has changed what most consumers think a beta is. Blame EA and the like.
Frankly they should call Phase 1 an alpha since they're still tweaking core gameplay mechanics, might get the idea across more that its still a work in progress.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

The birds on my starting planet freak me out. They look weird and their primary attack is to spew streams of blood at me. Think I'm gonna leave that hellhole next chance I get.

I'm on a Jungle planet with the same fuckers... except they divebomb me after pissimg blood in my face. I just can't deal with them. Unfortunately, there's a Floran dungeon that I need to clear, but because I keep dying to those loving birds I can never get there.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

quote:

[23:24] <+Tiy_> andddd
[23:24] <+Tiy_> birds are balanced

They didn't have the right values.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The "air" type projectiles just have their damage set too high right now, I think. Regardless of armor or weapon damage or the aggro radius of birds, nothing on a threat 1 planet should really be shooting things which do 50+ damage (or like 20+ damage on continuously-spraying attacks, you get the idea).

Reason posted:

I was gonna type a bunch of words about how the old penetration vs level system was profoundly bad because of how completely binary and arbitrary everything about it was but this is a much better summary of that.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Riolith posted:

Pretty much this. I don't get how anyone can think the old system was good when anything two levels above your armor value would just one or two shot you, and the only thing you could do about it was get a weapon that would one shot them. I will say that some of the projectile attacks are way to strong at the moment.

The thing with this argument that keeps popping up is it's A=A. It was too much of a binary system because that was a result of inbalance and lack of finished content, not the system itself.

Like I said, I think the biggest loss out losing the 1-100 system isn't really the weapon system but merely the fact you could look at a planet at a glance on the starmap, and know exactly how difficult it was going to be and what you could expect by going there. I think that was really cool.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nothing like takin' a naked nap in my Temple of Doom in the sky.

The planet next door to my starter had no less than 5 high tech chests, with not a single drat one having an actual tech in them. :mad:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The thing with this argument that keeps popping up is it's A=A. It was too much of a binary system because that was a result of inbalance and lack of finished content, not the system itself.

Like I said, I think the biggest loss out losing the 1-100 system isn't really the weapon system but merely the fact you could look at a planet at a glance on the starmap, and know exactly how difficult it was going to be and what you could expect by going there. I think that was really cool.

Planets are going to be segregated into easy/medium/hard designations per sector, that's just not in and/or displayed yet.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fie on this new patch! When I try to make a megamanipulator, the game crashes immediately when I try to use it. Has anyone gotten one working?
I did the last run legit, I'm not spending hours getting back there. This game is pretty great, but the start is still awful grindy. Minecraft you can get a base and early equipment together in 5 minutes tops; in Starbound cutting down your first tree is painful and getting your starting cobble to make a pick, UGH. No thanks, once was enough.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Evilreaver posted:

Fie on this new patch! When I try to make a megamanipulator, the game crashes immediately when I try to use it. Has anyone gotten one working?
I did the last run legit, I'm not spending hours getting back there. This game is pretty great, but the start is still awful grindy. Minecraft you can get a base and early equipment together in 5 minutes tops; in Starbound cutting down your first tree is painful and getting your starting cobble to make a pick, UGH. No thanks, once was enough.

This is definitely one problem... they need to make the manipulator work faster so that it doesn't take 10-15 minutes to make a single drat cobblestone pick. It already affects a slower area, why does it also need to take 3 times as long?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Mine works with a block/alt radius of 5/2 respectively and a firetime of .01

I think someone mentioned earlier that it may only crash when the radius is above a certain amount.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

In my personal opinion, the weapon balance never felt so right as it does now, after this last patch. Armor definitely could be bumped up a little, even double the current value would feel a bit too hard. I just feel like there should be more variety on a tier's planets, but going from here I think they will manage. They're on the right path, IMO.
Could somebody please explain to me how starting off with this...

Then scroungin up the minimum 56 Iron Ore for the Anvil and crafting one of these for 20 Iron Bars....

Feels so right/is in a good place balance wise and getting so much praise? Sure later down the line you are no longer dealing 19 trillion times more damage than you are supposed to. But the most powerful weapons you can craft before slaying the UFO are garbage compared to your starting gear.

I've seen posts that armor suddenly starts doing anything once you leave the alpha sector (does this apply to shields too?), but unless your weapon stats spontaneously change there is no taking away the fact using Iron for any weapon but a bow, or maybe a Hunting Knife (Which is now a 2-Handed weapon instead of 1-Handed) is a complete waste.

I will admit, Iron bow seems to have escaped this fate. It still does not list stats, but at least it's dropping the average murderbeasts on my Spawn world in two fully charged shots. More importantly, it means I have a slight chance of taking out my spawn world's ground enemies who can fire murderbeams to take off 1/3 to 2/3 my health in a single pass even with the full copper set.

TL;DR: Just because the later tiers are now more in line with how things should feel, doesn't mean your starting situation hasn't gotten pretty dire unless something better than you can possibly make falls into your lap/you deliberately spreadsheet your way to better gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a easy, medium, hard rating for the planets in a sector to replace the level ratings?

• Locked thread