Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

KoB posted:

Eat Tech
Go to Techs on ship
Lock it in
Open Inventory
Select Tech
Double Jump.
Super intuitive! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

shymog posted:

The more I play the more I'm bothered by one thing.

I like that planets have a lot of color variety. You'll have different shades of sand, dirt, cobblestone, etc. That's great, it makes everything feel a little less samey. The thing that sucks about that is that the different shades of blocks are all separate items, meaning they don't stack together.

Granted this gets into serious crazy wishlist category, but what if we had blocks in the inventory all stack, but we could cycle the color of a block between ones we have collected with the press of a button?

It would be nice not to have 10 different kinds of sandstone blocks.

Also, the fact that sometimes the color of a planet from outside is diferent from the actual color when you are at the surface.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Anyone happen to have alpha or beta coords to planets that have that facility with matter converters? Makeshift armor is really nice :3:.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fishstick posted:

Anyone happen to have alpha or beta coords to planets that have that facility with matter converters? Makeshift armor is really nice :3:.

This post apparently links a planet with one. I haven't gone myself so I can't confirm it myself.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

This post apparently links a planet with one. I haven't gone myself so I can't confirm it myself.

Confirmed. I should probably bank my pixels before suiciding myself for matter, but I can't seem to find a way to craft those banking pixel blocks. Are they T3+? I'm at T2 right now.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
So if I wanted to make my own ship mod or gun mod or whatever, new models and everything, is there a tutorial on how to do that floating around anywhere?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fishstick posted:

Confirmed. I should probably bank my pixels before suiciding myself for matter, but I can't seem to find a way to craft those banking pixel blocks. Are they T3+? I'm at T2 right now.

I don't think you have to suicide yourself. I think it was the same issue that those large capsules have where they were instant gibbing people. I was able to activate the reactor from far enough away that I didn't get damage and it just shat blocks everywhere.

The Worst Lurker
Dec 12, 2012

Fishstick posted:

You can harvest the matter without killing yourself if you build a dirt wall between you and the machine before activating it.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Purple Prince posted:

Anyone know whether it's possible to find Jungle worlds in Alpha Sector? I love Jungle worlds for their massive amount of wood and resources, and I want to dig up/smelt vast quantities of coal so I don't have to worry about it any more. Problem is I can't find any Jungles in Alpha Sector. Do they only come about in Beta or am I just unlucky?

Definitely not:

code:
  "sectors" : [
    {
      "id" : "alpha",
      "name" : "Alpha Sector",
      "sectorSeed" : 71707887027,
      "prefix" : "Alpha",
      "sectorSymbol" : "/celestial/sector/1.png",
      "hueShift" : -30,

"worldParameters" : {
        "threatLevel" : [1, 1],
        "unlockedBiomes" : [ "arid", "desert", "forest", "snow", "moon" ]
      }
    },

{
      "id" : "beta",
      "name" : "Beta Sector",
      "sectorSeed" : 912044941247,
      "prefix" : "Beta",
      "sectorSymbol" : "/celestial/sector/2.png",
      "hueShift" : 0,

"worldParameters" : {
        "threatLevel" : [2, 2],
        "unlockedBiomes" : [ "arid", "desert", "forest", "snow", "moon", "jungle" ]
      }
    },

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Vib Rib posted:

Oh hey what do we have here on the official mod site? Minecraft is leaking.
Hey, a challenge mod could be interesting.

It's just the changes they chose for this "difficulty mod" only make the game more tedious and grueling!

Kyrosiris posted:

You can also make [the beamaxe] one-handed (so you can use a flashlight at the same time) by changing twoHanded to false.
But then you can't edit background tiles.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 13, 2013

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Does anyone know if a mod exists or how hard it would be to make it so that you can scan special blocks (like high-tech blocks for instance) and then replicate them for very little or free? Because I really want to mess around with the sandbox ship mod, but I would rather not build my ship out of cobblestone or wood. And with the rarity of the blocks I want to use and how slow it is to mine out any special blocks, it's really killing my enthusiasm.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There should be a toggle in the Tech/3D Printer panel for Lock/Unlock Ship. When it's Locked no one but the owner can edit/rob/disassemble/interact with it, but when its Unlocked it works like it does now.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Jackard posted:

But then you can't edit background tiles.

I said the same thing, but it turns out that if your beamaxe is one-handed, switching the hand it is in will switch the tiles it affects. Left hand for foreground, right for background.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The Worst Lurker posted:

You can harvest the matter without killing yourself if you build a dirt wall between you and the machine before activating it.

This worked perfectly, thanks.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Reiley posted:

There should be a toggle in the Tech/3D Printer panel for Lock/Unlock Ship. When it's Locked no one but the owner can edit/rob/disassemble/interact with it, but when its Unlocked it works like it does now.

Gosh yes, this! I understand why it is what it is, because outside of having my ship filled with sand and a propeller put next my 'porter pad, I have no desire to return to my ship to find out its computer, glove compartment, gas cap and driver seat missing. :v:

A locked ship should let grouped party members use the crafting bench, smelter, etc tho. Placed chests would be fair game to loot keep supplies your friends can take.

I love these modded ship designs! I might try it. FTL (the game) has ship designs that would be right at home here (except for the whole 'top down' vs 'side view' cross section thing)!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Having a grief-preventing system for your ship is probably a good idea. Then again, if one did exist I wouldn't have been able to place poop all over my friend's ship. He was not amused.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Poopdeck.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

A locked ship should let grouped party members use the crafting bench, smelter, etc tho. Placed chests would be fair game to loot keep supplies your friends can take.

Yeah, things like craft stations, doors, beds and toggleable items like the Ape Radio or the eye/hand scanner should still be interactable, maybe Locked being just "no building, destroying or accessing storage" is the most elegant solution. That switch can totally go in the Tech/3D Printer panel though, there's not much else in there and it looks like a ship console too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AndroidHub posted:

Does anyone know if a mod exists or how hard it would be to make it so that you can scan special blocks (like high-tech blocks for instance) and then replicate them for very little or free? Because I really want to mess around with the sandbox ship mod, but I would rather not build my ship out of cobblestone or wood. And with the rarity of the blocks I want to use and how slow it is to mine out any special blocks, it's really killing my enthusiasm.

I really wish they would turn any block you harvested in a generic 'matter' resource. Then you'd have a sub-screen for the manipulator that let you choose from any type of block that you had previously harvested and they'd all have a 'matter cost' and let you choose from a color palette to pick what you're going to actually place.

So instead of having 1256 yellow sand, 958 blue cobblestone, 643 blue mud, 1451 red sand, 725 brown dirt, 126 white tech wall, etc etc etc, I'd just have, say 40,000 'matter'. Sand might cost 1 matter to place, dirt and cobblestone 2, tech walls 10, etc etc, and I could change the color I was placing at any time on the manipulator sub screen.

More fun, less micro, more creativity, less fuss and bother, better in all ways.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If they wanted certain blocks to be hard to find and very rare, that would be defeated once you found just one. I think an auto-storted, infinitely large separate inventory area would work well for keeping the clutter down.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mozi posted:

If they wanted certain blocks to be hard to find and very rare, that would be defeated once you found just one. I think an auto-storted, infinitely large separate inventory area would work well for keeping the clutter down.
Then clearly those wouldn't be part of the Matter system, like ore isn't.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Got a weapon called "Happy Meatkisser". Nice, brodude

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay, let it never be said that making mods for this game is a fast venture. Christ. Especially if you're making your own custom crafting station.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DrunkYardGnome posted:

I feel like they only come up in the later sectors (beta, gamma, etc). So you might just have to wait. I agree, I love jungles because of the frequency with which you can get plant fibers for bandages.

Does anyone have the coordinates for a cape or scroll, something neat I can put on my back social slot to cover up this janky lantern on a stick?

-8, -11. Alpha Merqioa 12 II D

Go to the left, you'll find a chest with an All-Seeing Cloak in it (it lets zoom even farther to the left or right, great for sniping). It's a billowing yellow/purple cape. There's also a floral prison.

Alpha Praecipua 62 II. X: 69431811 Y: 84748501

This planet a goon posted has a glitch castle to the left, I found an entire wizard outfit including the magic scroll for the back slot in a barrel at the top.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 13, 2013

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Eve Online's UI is not known for being great, but in Starbound I have kind found myself wishing my ship had an Eve style cargo bay (searchable, sortable, everything in one place, etc) instead of storage that works exactly like chests.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Anyone else attempted middle-clicking to auto-sort your inventory? I'm so used to Minecraft doing it that I keep instinctively using it.

The inventory screen really needs a sort button.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mozi posted:

If they wanted certain blocks to be hard to find and very rare, that would be defeated once you found just one.

Isn't that the exact function of the 3D printer, aside from pixels being a scarcer currency?

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

Combat Shotgun posted:

so I got my bolter in game, complete with exploding rounds

Needs a bit of balancing but it works! Also going to swap out the ammo type (right now I'm just using default explosive rounds) to something that looks less like a grenade

Now I just need to finish reskinning the space marine armor and then... chainsword? maybe

Awww that's loving dope!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'll be streaming a bit while playing on the goon server if anyone wants to check it out. Do I have to make the starmap upgrades again because I'm not in single player?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

How do you cook? Like I found a recipe for a meatwich but I can't find anything on how to look up how to make it. The campfire only seems to have one slot to put a thing in too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or one handed weapons stopped dropping again?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Cismans Burden posted:

How do you cook? Like I found a recipe for a meatwich but I can't find anything on how to look up how to make it. The campfire only seems to have one slot to put a thing in too.

Build a Cooking Table. Should be an option at the Crafting Table.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Cismans Burden posted:

You can craft a cooking table with some wood planks and copper bars on the regular crafting table. The NPC villages sometimes have personalized cooking stations too, I think.

e;fb.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
X Delta Sge Minoris III at -31363822 11888907 has a pirate ship a little ways to the left that has a microphone and oboe in a chest!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

nerdz posted:

Is it just me, or one handed weapons stopped dropping again?

I got a crappy one handed sword last night, but it's the only one I've seen out of a dozen drops, they're just really rare.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Gazaar posted:

Poopdeck.

If you are a fan of poop I just stuck this in the coordinates spreadsheet:

X-19004333 Y -24892103
X Solaire Minoris IX (Threat level 10 Tundra Biome)
Uncommon Impervium 2800dps weapon literally next to the teleport point.
Outhouse leading to sewer dungeon full of sentient poo poo monsters. (A ways to the left.)

Updated with image:

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 13, 2013

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I found a glitch village with a few vendors in it. I thought someone in this thread said that they have the best melee weapons, but everything seemed to be a tier lower than the sector I was in(Beta or Gamma, don't remember). Are vendors nerfed or was that some kind of joke.

Also someone else suggested that the blueprints are better than the items they carry, but they all looked like standard glitch racial weapon blueprints.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to scan a planet from your ship and get an approximation of the mineral amounts. Something like Star Control 2. I'm sure there's a more recent example, but it's all I can think of when I approach a new planet.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Not sure why this bothers me so much, but mining an asteroid in the dead of space and here come birds flying by :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Air Julio posted:

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to scan a planet from your ship and get an approximation of the mineral amounts. Something like Star Control 2. I'm sure there's a more recent example, but it's all I can think of when I approach a new planet.

Its been mentioned in various degrees of implementation already, but I agree. Some sort of planet scanner that reveals planet info without having to travel to each moon would be nice. It could even be another pixel sink as you upgrade your scanner from being able to detect plantlife (this planet has wooden trees/only has fibrous giant flowers/armored trees/no trees), to detecting any kind of 'civilisation'(one or more NPC settlements exist - be it towns, cities, dungeons or a single shack) to vague threat indicators (monsters on this planet exhibit abilities of X and Y) and relative ore quantities (While low on coal, deeper crust has rich veins of platinum/contains no silver but plenty of coal). Semi-helpful descriptions based on the seed that can make picking a planet more interesting, basically.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 13, 2013

• Locked thread