Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I love a lot of Mondo posters and hate a lot of others, but I agree--as a casual enthusiast it's hard for me to get excited even about posters I really like since I know I don't have much chance at getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that's a sweet poster but I'll never get one because of the stupid way they sell things.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

AndItsAllGone posted:

I love a lot of Mondo posters and hate a lot of others, but I agree--as a casual enthusiast it's hard for me to get excited even about posters I really like since I know I don't have much chance at getting one.

Same, Mondo makes cool stuff sometimes, but their artificial limiting bullshit leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This poster sucks and also what the hell is it even a poster for

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lord of the Dragonball Z Rings?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

AndItsAllGone posted:

Yea, it's a pretty metal poster, but hard to get excited about for this exact reason.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pokemon 2000

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Same, Mondo makes cool stuff sometimes, but their artificial limiting bullshit leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Artificial limiting has always been the way to make money off of prints. The real problem is that Mondo takes it too far and it creates a backlash. Like us.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not artificially limited, they manually screen print the posters which cannot be done en masse without losing a huge amount of quality. 256 screen printed posters is a ton.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

scary ghost dog posted:

It's not artificially limited, they manually screen print the posters which cannot be done en masse without losing a huge amount of quality. 256 screen printed posters is a ton.

So are you saying they couldn't make 512 and sell them at the same price?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

BonoMan posted:

No, the printer explodes after each use.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Ink costs a lot, as does labor. 256 was probably the most cost efficient amount.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

scary ghost dog posted:

Ink costs a lot, as does labor. 256 was probably the most cost efficient amount.

Bullshit. Given the margin they're making per print, ink and labor costs are a flimsy justification for their chosen high-price artificial-scarcity business model, not a real limitation. Justifications, I might add, that Mondo themselves don't even waste time making.
And even if you take the view that for some of these more obscure titles / off-beat designs may not sell out a high initial run, there's no reason that ones which do could not be reprinted apart from inflating the second-hand market and justifying the initial price.

The 'open edition' of the Man of Steel print sold 5000+ (IIRC) copies, and while I can fully accept that it would be time-consuming and labour-intensive to print and ship them, there's no case in which they're hurting financially at the end of it.

Serak fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 17, 2013

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Serak posted:

The 'open edition' of the Man of Steel print sold 5000+ (IIRC) copies, and while I can fully accept that it would be time-consuming and labour-intensive to print and ship them, there's no case in which they're hurting financially at the end of it.
Hi, as someone in the screen printed gig poster/art print side of things, printing a 4+ color edition of 250 or more would suck poo poo and be more time consuming than you'd think.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Abner Assington posted:

Hi, as someone in the screen printed gig poster/art print side of things, printing a 4+ color edition of 250 or more would suck poo poo and be more time consuming than you'd think.

I think you might be misunderstanding the point (I think) he's making.

The point is, they can make more despite the difficulty of such an endeavor while also making good money off it.

They choose not to because it's better long term business.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think you might be misunderstanding the point (I think) he's making.

The point is, they can make more despite the difficulty of such an endeavor while also making good money off it.

Please stop pretending you have any idea how screen printing works.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If your print runs sell out in 30 seconds it's probably worth an extra bit of effort to do it again.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

sassassin posted:

If your print runs sell out in 30 seconds it's probably worth an extra bit of effort to do it again.
I think the concept of an edition is totally lost on you guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Regardless of Mondo's justifications, the point that it's hard to get excited about their posters because you'll basically never get one still has merit.

Also I thought bitching about Mondo was probatable in this thread now? Let's not get into another fight about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mr. stefan posted:

Then explain to him how it works and why his assumption is wrong. Perhaps a detailed breakdown of the economies of scale in printmaking with sources to back it up?

How do you think a post like this is going to make people say "Oh I'm so sorry Mr. Stefan you're right I'm totally wrong?"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lotish posted:

Also I thought bitching about Mondo was probatable in this thread now? Let's not get into another fight about it.

At least this time it's about Mondo's distribution methods and not just if "Mondo" means a poster is bad.

Poster for The Immigrant. Jeremy Renner now reminds me so much of Sean Penn:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Jeremy Renner now reminds me so much of Sean Penn:

And Joaquin Phoenix is starting to look like Daniel Day Lewis.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Marion Cotillard has a Drew Barrymore thing going on there too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Slim Killington posted:

Marion Cotillard has a Drew Barrymore thing going on there too.

It's just like the American Hustle stuff. Jennifer Lawrence looks like Kate Hudson from Almost Famous in the qualudes scene while Amy Adams looks exactly like Nicole Kidman. Renner again looks like Sean Penn.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Sean Penn, Drew Barrymore and Daniel Day Lewis.
Now that's all I can see.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's actually fairly easy to get a Mondo poster. Here's the secret:

Install a browser refresher add-on for Chrome or Firefox. The day of the sale, load up the site in a extra tab around 10am, ive never seen em go on sale earlier. Set the timer for about 5 or 10 seconds. The posters will be on the site before any Tweet or Facebook message. You will get it this way. I dont think ive missed any Mondo poster that I really wanted (The Bride from Jason Edmiston, Venom which was last week sometime I think, Predator from Comic-Con, GoT Bran and GoT Mountain Throne, Conan the Barbarian + the Man of Steel which was easy).

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

It's actually fairly easy to get a Mondo poster. Here's the secret:

Install a browser refresher add-on for Chrome or Firefox. The day of the sale, load up the site in a extra tab around 10am, ive never seen em go on sale earlier. Set the timer for about 5 or 10 seconds. The posters will be on the site before any Tweet or Facebook message. You will get it this way. I dont think ive missed any Mondo poster that I really wanted (The Bride from Jason Edmiston, Venom which was last week sometime I think, Predator from Comic-Con, GoT Bran and GoT Mountain Throne, Conan the Barbarian + the Man of Steel which was easy).

For Firefox I use the check4change add on during woot-offs a lot. I can leave a tab open and it checks every x seconds and if the page changes it plays a David Bowie sound clip and flashes the tab. So if you're working or already on your computer doing something, it makes getting the posters a bit easier.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

At least this time it's about Mondo's distribution methods and not just if "Mondo" means a poster is bad.

I can't normally take Jeremy Renner seriously and that poster isn't helping. I don't know what it is, but he just looks like a kid trying to play an adult.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

mr. stefan posted:

They made thousands of screen printed copies of the Man Of Steel poster, proving in fact that they can do it.

Also, you're kind of a dick.

Abner Assington posted:

I think the concept of an edition is totally lost on you guys.

And you just cut out the part where I say:

quote:

To make a point.

The Man of Steel poster proves they can do more.
Their modus operandi proves it's better business for them in the long run not to.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BonoMan posted:

I can't normally take Jeremy Renner seriously and that poster isn't helping. I don't know what it is, but he just looks like a kid trying to play an adult.

Which, funny enough, seems to be his best roles. That's how he was in Hurt Locker and The Town.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BonoMan posted:

Then explain to him how it works and why his assumption is wrong. Perhaps a detailed breakdown of the economies of scale in printmaking with sources to back it up?

How do you think a post like this is going to make people say "Oh I'm so sorry Mr. Stefan you're right I'm totally wrong?"

It's already been explained multiple times by people more knowledgeable than myself in this thread, but to summarize, screen printing is fairly involved, usually done by hand, where each color is printed onto thez medium separately. It does not scale all that well without some expensive automation that Mondo doesn't seem like the type of company to use, several people experienced in screen printing have said that Mondo's runs are usually at the upper end of what's feasible anyway, and let's be honest here: do you really think there's a market for 10,000 screen printed posters of The Visitor?. Economies Of Scale doesn't really hold true when scaling up would involve hiring on dozens of extra skilled workers and would as a result require multiplying your guaranteed sale volume by twenty or thirty times just to break even on your new cost.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They made thousands of screen printed copies of the Man Of Steel poster, proving in fact that they can do it.

Also, you're kind of a dick.

Man of Steel was a huge summer release and they almost certainly rented extra equipment and hired several part timers specifically for pushing out a huge volume head and shoulders above their normal scale because it was a massive market. There's no way in hell they could justify the extra expense on the majority of their posters.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh hey, I've done screen printing, let me tell about how I'm expert!
It's a process set up for mass production, stop being dweebs and defending a terrible company.

Also that Witch King poster is the ugliest poster I've seen in awhile

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So 256 is stretching it for a release like oh pretty much every other blockbuster film they've done? That's an amount they can make some money at? But at any time they can get 5000+ done, you know just in case.

They must be barely surviving on their 256 prints per poster.

You're being really foolish if you think they're keeping the number low for anything but (smart) business reasons. It's not a Etsy store we're talking about, dude.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Does Mondo actually do their own printing, or do they outsource? I looked up their location on Google maps and its kinda tiny.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Also, couldn't Mondo just do on-demand printing if they wanted to alleviate scarcity? People buy their poster, wait however long, and get it in the mail. If you want artificial scarcity, just limit purchases to whatever the most recent poster is so you still have to get it before they make a new one, boom. People get what they want, and they stay semi-rare artpieces.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Which, funny enough, seems to be his best roles. That's how he was in Hurt Locker and The Town.

Same for Dahmer.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Relevant:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Lotish posted:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

You both thought wrong. It was considered. But the mod decided not to probate people for discussing the most well known movie poster company around in the movie poster thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Someone can gently caress right off with that translated title.